• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Fathead

Easy there, I've played quite a bit of CE in my day. It's the game that got me into a deeper level of gaming. My OP comment stems from the fact that the sniper is really the only gun that can counter the pistol at range. If you look at the Halo 2 or 3 sandbox they equalize guns; BR to Carbine, etc. When you only have one gun that can cross-map kill aside from a sniper with a smaller bullet count, I see that as unbalanced and a bit OP.

Different strokes though, right? :)

This is accurate. And I played a ton of CE.

CyReN

Wat

Firefight is mechanically different that spops.

This is like complaining you're not getting the real experience because it doesn't look like the bone version.

I need to see some receipts on the physics being different. Having played hog wars on both versions I can say the hogs flew the same way.

Some of them:
  • You can't jump through the windows on red base on beaver Creek
  • Hang em has no lip around the trench, so you don't have to jump out
  • One of the hills on bloodgulch is different (don't know what exactly)
  • Teleporter on sidewinder is two way instead of one way
  • Weapon timers and power ups are different (apparently they were changed in MCC?)
  • Some of the shaders are broken (the AR and the covenant shield cover come to mind), though they fixed these in Halo Anniversary.

I haven't played enough Halo PC so I can't go past that, but with the players I know that still play it religiously, I can understand their frustration.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Oh really Deadly? Tell me, what other weapon in CE's sandbox would you like to combat the Sniper.. You know, with all the midrange weapons in CE's arsenal.

Pretty bizarre how people still try to pose this argument after being beaten to death over the years how CE's sandbox was very limited and how every gun was useful (except the Needler).

That was my point, that the lack of midrange weapons and the pistol's crazy range was a bit odd to me. The sniper is a weapon that has a lower ammunition count and a lower spawn time and is meant to be a power weapon ala the rocket launcher. The pistol was meant to be one of the standard weapons, yet there was no counter for it. The upside is that everyone spawned with a pistol I believe, if I remember correctly. It's just funny that most Halo CE matches ended up being cross-map pistol duels.

Basically, a BR would've been nice in Halo CE.

Just opinions though, like I said, I enjoyed CE and played a ton.

EDIT: I hope 343 is doing stat keeping for Halo CE. I am curious to see what the weapon kill counts are. I have a feeling the pistol will represent a large majority of multiplayer kills.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Assuming people are scrubs by a viewpoint on a single weapon in a game IS elitism. It's silly, petty, immature, and unkind.

Also, you deny the fact that those articles I provided above mention that the Halo CE pistol is not where they wanted it to be and therefore changed it in future games and never gave it a return. You have rose colored glasses my friend. I want it to return, but many don't including the designers for reasons they have expressed. I don't see what the problem is. I'll kindly excuse myself from the rest of this discussion. Don't want to foster negativity here. NeoGaf is bad enough as it is.

Of course they're not going to bring back a weapon like the HCE pistol into Halo...game design has gone completely ass backwards since 2001. We live in days of accessibility and Call of Duty...game design today is basically this:

How accessible (easy) can we make this game in order to achieve our sales quote without making it boring?

Welfare

IDGAF about some stupid medals on the side of the screen that are there for like 3 seconds.

HALO CE ONLINE! YES!

343, thank you.

Of course they're not going to bring back a weapon like the HCE pistol into Halo...game design has gone completely ass backwards since 2001. We live in days of accessibility and Call of Duty...game design today is basically this:

How accessible (easy) can we make this game in order to achieve our sales quote without making it boring?

Your every post is a like a sonnet on elitism and snobbery. "Of course they won't reintroduce the CE pistol, they're too stupid/greedy for that."

Holy crap, dude.

Your ugh is more offensive than some CE nerd who's dancing around how to politely tell people that their ignorance is not appreciated around these parts. Just imagine the frustration of years of people saying this same nonsense.. IMO he's being a saint right now! :b

Anyone who calls the CE Pistol OP in CE's sandbox is factually wrong. I'll just quote myself on this topic again:
FUNKNOWN iXi said:
To describe it shortly, the Pistol was never really broken. CE's sandbox was very limited because it was the only weapon that was used midrange aside from the Sniper, so the fact that people call it broken is unfair in that respect.

Now compare it to the other weapons in their respective roles:

• PR/PP vs Pistol -> PR/PP had stun and would dominate the Pistol close range. If the Pistol won, then good job.. Doesn't mean the weapon is broken because there could be many factors that played into that (player skill, out of ammo, low health, etc.)
  • AR vs Pistol -> AR had 64 shots and had an incredibly quick melee, and what made it more useful was that you could use it to activate Camo quicker by shooting a bullet.
  • Shotgun vs Pistol -> Shotgun was an absolute monster. Nothing else to say about it.
  • Sniper vs Pistol -> This is obvious.
  • Rocket vs Pistol -> This is obvious.
  • Needler was useless.

By giving weapons certain traits you increase their uniqueness and viability in the weapon sandbox, but when every weapon pretty much functions the same then sure, the CE Pistol in Halo 4's sandbox would be broken. I still can't understand how people could spout the same heresy Bungie's been saying for years when it never really made sense in the first place.

Let me ask you, what's the most important factor in a video game?
Let me answer: FUN.

So why are people shitting on a weapon that SOOOO many people found incredibly fun and rewarding to use? Also, I should throw out there that not even professional Halo CE players can land consistent 3sk's on LAN, so obviously the weapon takes some skill to use.

Aside from weapons, another way to balance a returning CE Pistol would be to make a more responsive strafe, increase the movement speed and not have babby level aim assist like in Halo 2. Halo 5 can easily return to AR/Pistol starts granted the rest of the sandbox is balanced properly.
/elitism

GOML hyenas.
lmfao I love this place

Tawpgun

How am I being an elitist by saying I disagree with scrub mentality? I'm all for discussions, but the moment a scrub enters the conversation...it really doesn't go anywhere.
Also lmao at this.

Just embrace your elitism son.

I don't take the opinions of people who prefer AR starts and thought reach and halo 4 went in a good direction seriously either.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
How am I being an elitist by saying I disagree with scrub mentality? I'm all for discussions, but the moment a scrub enters the conversation...it really doesn't go anywhere.
Jesus dude.

At first I thought you were joking with the scrub stuff, but I have a hunch you're not. If you can't handle explaining yourself, just link to an article or video explaining why the CE Pistol is balanced.

The pistol was meant to be one of the standard weapons, yet there was no counter for it.
The counter for the pistol was the pistol. And as you acknowledge, players spawn with it. It sounds like you want another weapon introduced that is slightly different, but serves the same mid-range role. That sounds unnecessary and potentially redundant, though it could be cool. I enjoy the simplicity of the CE sandbox, personally.

I enjoyed the podcast :] Looking forward to more, and great job Ex. You're a solid fit as a podcast host. Don't get hyped though, biggy is the truth.
daedae's cool too
A compliment? Awww shiiiiittt, son!

I thought that was known ever since the collection was announced.

Apparently some people conveniently ignored that part. One would imagine the fact that the PC-only maps are included was a big hint at which version of the game was being used, even if they didn't know.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Your ugh is more offensive than some CE nerd who's dancing around how to politely tell people that their ignorance is not appreciated around these parts. Just imagine the frustration of years of people saying this same nonsense.. IMO he's being a saint right now! :b

Anyone who calls the CE Pistol OP in CE's sandbox is factually wrong. I'll just quote myself on this topic again:

/elitism

GOML hyenas.
lmfao I love this place

Your post makes sense. My whole deal is that when CE matches boil down to people pinging each other with scoped pistols the entirety of a match it seems like something needs to change. Maybe the gun isn't OP, maybe the entire weapon sandbox was off-kilter. Regardless, I'm curious to see the Halo CE weapon stats when this collection comes out, I think it'll be very pistol-heavy, which seems unbalanced to me.

13 year old game with the multiplayer mode made by what, 3 people? Still a hell of a lot of fun overall, despite my minor qualms with the pistol/weapon sandbox.

TTUVAPOR

Banned

What? What am I saying that's so wrong?

Anyone here a 90s kid? Did anyone of you play Street Fighter 2 or Mortal Kombat in the old gaming arcades? You had to have come across someone who would complain and complain about getting beat over and over by someone repeating a single tactic over and over...this is what I'm getting at.

The people who complain about the HCE pistol simply do not understand how to defend themselves from it. They rush to calling it OP because they can't understand the inner workings of how to defend against it in HCE.

It's no different than if I called a Street Fighter player a cheap ass hole for spamming fire balls at me until I got beat. We gonna call the fireball in SF overpowered?

Not sure why I'm being jumped on by people when I'm simply stating facts here.

I had a buddy at my house last week watching the Texans get stomped by the Colts and when the Colts pulled their onside kick in the first quarter and their own damn kick recovered the onside kick leaving the Texans completely stunned...my buddy's response was "well that was a cheap ass move". I'm like...no it's not, he did a legitimate play in the game and was damn smart and bad ass to pull it off.

I guess in that scenario, onside kicks in the first quarter of NFL games are OP.

i dont get the point in calling the Halo PC port being weaker than the original CE Xbox
for those claiming that, on what do you base your oppinion?
CE LAN gameplay vs PC online lag? thats not a pretty accurate comparison imo

for me the PC version is a lot better, the aiming felt a lot tighter and not so lose as on the original Xbox (dunno the polling of the original Xbox Controller and the original game deadzone but that might be one of the reasons)
besides that the new maps, vehicles and weapons added a lot to the experience and balance imo
couldnt care less if theres a shader more or less in a certain version, the gameplay is important and thats where Halo PC outclasses the regular Xbox CE version imo

on a sidenote, you could customize the shaders in the PC version via game config and map tool editor which is what most players did that played it regular (eg to fix the zoom blur)

Tawpgun

Re differences between PC and Xbox. The pistol video looks interesting. Gonna have to go back and look at that and the other differences.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Jesus dude.

At first I thought you were joking with the scrub stuff, but I have a hunch you're not. If you can't handle explaining yourself, just link to an article or video explaining why the CE Pistol is balanced.

The counter for the pistol was the pistol. And as you acknowledge, players spawn with it. It sounds like you want another weapon introduced that is slightly different, but serves the same mid-range role. That sounds unnecessary and potentially redundant, though it could be cool. I enjoy the simplicity of the CE sandbox, personally.

I'll gladly explain my opinion, but you won't like it...so why bother?

tumblr_mmst03p4Ys1s8f4tpo6_250.gif

i'll see ya tomorrow, looking forward to the halo 2 vista shit storm.

We're all scrubs in the grand scheme of things, just different tiers of scrub.

Ram is correct, but let me take the JC's lion versus hyenas concept further and add Mufasa's wise words.

Mufasa: "Everything you see exists together in a delicate balance. As king, you need to understand that balance and respect all the creatures, from the crawling ant to the leaping antelope."

Simba: "But, Dad, don't we eat the antelope?"

Mufasa: "Yes, Simba, but let me explain. When we die, our bodies become the grass, and the antelope eat the grass. And so we are all connected in the great Circle of Life."

We're all antelopes of Halo. I'm sure you will agree, this was crystal clear.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Anyone here a 90s kid? Did anyone of you play Street Fighter 2 or Mortal Kombat in the old gaming arcades? You had to have come across someone who would complain and complain about getting beat over and over by someone repeating a single tactic over and over...this is what I'm getting at.

The people who complain about the HCE pistol simply do not understand how to defend themselves from it. They rush to calling it OP because they can't understand the inner workings of how to defend against it in HCE.

It's no different than if I called a Street Fighter player a cheap ass hole for spamming fire balls at me until I got beat. We gonna call the fireball in SF overpowered?

I had a buddy at my house last week watching the Texans get stomped by the Colts and when the Colts pulled their onside kick in the first quarter and their own damn kick recovered the onside kick leaving the Texans completely stunned...my buddy's response was "well that was a cheap ass move". I'm like...no it's not, he did a legitimate play in the game and was damn smart and bad ass to pull it off.

I guess in that scenario, onside kicks in the first quarter of NFL games are OP.

fp9rpf.gif~original

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

People are taking issue with two things here:
1. The CE Pistol being overpowered or not.
2. Your weird ass world view of "scrubs" "ruining" "everything".

I'll gladly explain my opinion, but you won't like it...so why bother?
lol, I agree with you about the Pistol. It's the long winded defense you employed as a cop out for discussion that I'm taking issue with.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Come November, it will be about 21 months since I last played Halo.

I can't wait to play, but I'm going to be terrible. Might need a few warm up games.

So...Halo CE looks awesome in 60fps. I know that 60fps makes it easier to line up headshots, so I'm exited to pick up the sniper in multiplayer and try it out. Halo CE sniping was the hardest out of the releases. Even the pistol required some level of tight precision because you had to lead your shots and get the head in the center of your circle reticule (especially from a distance).

Minor graphical gripes aside, this is a super exciting time to be a Halo fan. I was always so sad that the only MP Halo CE I ever got was LAN parties...and they were few and far between.

giphy.gif

Your post makes sense. My whole deal is that when CE matches boil down to people pinging each other with scoped pistols the entirety of a match it seems like something needs to change. Maybe the gun isn't OP, maybe the entire weapon sandbox was off-kilter. Regardless, I'm curious to see the Halo CE weapon stats when this collection comes out, I think it'll be very pistol-heavy, which seems unbalanced to me.

13 year old game, with the mode made by what, 3 people? Still a hell of a lot of fun overall, despite my minor qualms with the pistol/weapon sandbox.
But didn't you watch the tournament matches of H2A on Lockout? There are more problematic stalemates in later Halo games because of how long it takes to kill someone with the utility weapon (BR). Also, no doubt it will be very Pistol-heavy because of reasons I laid out above. It's not a matter of being unbalanced, it's just the reality of that sandbox.

I think you'll appreciate the dynamic of CE's sandbox with such a limited variety of weapons once you get more time with it, as we all will.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
People are taking issue with two things here:
1. The CE Pistol being overpowered or not.
2. Your weird ass world view of "scrubs" "ruining" "everything".

lol, I agree with you about the Pistol. It's the long winded defense you employed as a cop out for discussion that I'm taking issue with.

I'm not the most well-versed person when it comes to getting my point across...I tend to novelize my posts...my bad.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Come November, it will about 21 months since I last played Halo.

I can't wait to play, but I'm going to be terrible. Might need a few warm up games.
I was always surprised by how decent you were. You know, for a lore nerd. And a European.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Halo CE dudes trying to kick knowledge

play a real arena game with a keyboard and mouse like Quake 3

1v1 me me without your aim assit and babby movement speed and moon jumps scrub

If you really want to see scrubs...make them play Quake 3...it'll open up a entirely new can of worms.

Sephzilla

This whole post

what_year_is_it.jpg

It feels like I'm back in early 2000's Bungie.net

i'll see ya tomorrow, looking forward to the halo 2 vista shit storm.

I'm legit interested in if they used the Vista build

Duji

That's not bloom. It's bullet spread. That was in the Xbox as well, not just PC.

When you held down the fire trigger, it wasn't consistent. When you fired each individual shot, it was a much tighter bullet spread.

Nah, both versions behave the same. Some videos confuse bloom with holding down and getting spread. Thankfully that isn't an issue.

Did you guys even watch the videos? Firing quickly (NOT HOLDING) results in a significant spread in the PC version. That doesn't happen on the Xbox version.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
People getting offended... at elitism. Like, in what way is saying that everyone who disagrees with you (or, for that matter, prefers other Halo games) is a scrub not elitism?

For the record....you said that....not I. I did not once say if you don't like HCE then you're a scrub.

If someone loves Halo Reach...then by all means knock yourself out...but if say they make a claim that Halo Reach is better than Halo CE...then you've got a discussion. ;)

I argue with people all the time that ice hockey is a rougher sport than american football...but then those rugby guys come into the equation and that changes the ball game.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
For the record....you said that....not I. I did not once say if you don't like HCE then you're a scrub.

If someone loves Halo Reach...then by all means knock yourself out...but if say they make a claim that Halo Reach is better than Halo CE...then you've got a discussion. ;)

I argue with people all the time that ice hockey is a rougher sport than american football...but then those rugby guys come into the equation and that changes the ball game.
You know, I even agree with you that someone saying the CE Pistol is overpowered shows a degree of unfamiliarity with the game, lack of perspective, or if nothing else an ignorance of how high level play functions. But... you could have just said that. Copying and pasting some weird tirade about scrubs wasn't helpful, lol.

Uh...

Okay...

And I wasn't just talking about you :p

I'm all for imposing a caste system in this thread based on skill level and bad opinions. Heckfu would be at the bottom.

You haven't played with me yet :p

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I was always surprised by how decent you were. You know, for a lore nerd. And a European.

..Thanks? LOL

I know I'm bottom tier in a shoot out, but I can sneak and cap objectives, and hog it up. Every time I would outshoot someone like Juices, Tashi, Ram or any of you good players, I'd savour the moment. Rarely ever happened though.

This particular Euro scrub was used to playing with that cross-ocean latency as standard. The netcode going from Halo to Reach was night/day for someone like me. I honestly can't wait to try Halo 3 with a decent netcode behind it like Reach and 4.

Top Bottom