• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Impala26

As well as the Gunsmith in Destiny

Good point and I noticed this too. Hard to mistake that gravelly Marcus Fenix-esque voice. It's always great when you get a patrol mission from the gunsmith because I always pictured it like Fenix giving me the mission, lol.

Sad waste of voice talent though, as could be said with most of the V.O. cast for Destiny.

"Bite my shiny metal engram"

GOD DAMN this needs to be a voice outtake! XD

Good point and I noticed this too. Hard to mistake that gravelly Marcus Fenix-esque voice. It's always great when you get a patrol mission from the gunsmith because I always pictured it like Fenix giving me the mission, lol.

Sad waste of voice talent though, as could be said with most of the V.O. cast for Destiny.

Yeah...

- Bill Nighy (All of the things)
- Nathan Fillion (Firefly)
- Lance Reddick (The Wire, Fringe)
- Gina Torres (Firefly)
- Peter Stormare (Fargo, Armageddon)
- Claudia Black (Farscape, SG-1)
- Lauren Cohan (The Walking Dead)
- Erick Avari (Stargate)
- Nika Futterman (Clone Wars)
- Dominic Keating (Star Trek Enterprise)
- Susan Eisenberg (Wonder Woman)
- Courtenay Taylor (Resident Evil, Mass Effect)
- John DiMaggio (Futurama, Gears of War, Adventure Time)
- Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones)

Such as waste.

dwells

I'm back after a few days away. I'm sure y'all missed me. Time to catch up on the past thirty pages:
Digital Foundry vs. The Master Chief Collection

FPS drops. :(

Maybe the patch correct this.

I wouldn't count on it. It's really disappointing to me to see these issues in the gold copy of the game. The Xbox One is supposedly ten times more powerful than the Xbox 360; running a 360 game at 1080p60 without a hitch shouldn't be an issue in the slightest.

Combined with some of the other issues (image quality, lack of AF, missing armor and theater features, lower H2A resolution, Halo PC netcode and port, etc.), it's even more disappointing. For those of us who know the series really well, especially people who know it well at a technical level, it's sad to see these games not being the best they could be.

Sword Base was a good map

This is sarcasm, right?

I quit reading when something came in below chiron. I love Halo but that is without a doubt the worst map in the history of man.

Chiron shotguns only FFA is absolute hilarity.

backwash will outrank Damnation

think about that

Certain Affinity's president has some... worrying taste in maps.

HaloGAF fights.

giphy.gif

This makes me physically uncomfortable. Add in that bloom clip on Zealot that made the rounds and it's basically a rage aneurysm in .gif format.

Xbox one acquired, GT: ViewtifulJC

holy hell at these Gamerpics

I got mine a couple day ago. Gamer pics are horrifically bad, like desperately trying too hard to be hip bad. I found the best option is to go customize your avatar, then zoom in and move him out of the frame and take a picture of one of the background patterns and use that as your gamer pic.

It was weird hearing him in the Halo 2A doc, because I don't think I've ever heard him speaking normally.

I guess DiMaggio is doing supplementary voices for the H2A terminals? Shame they couldn't get Ferrer back.

The man's voice range is incredible. A lot of voice actors I can easily pick out their different characters, but DiMaggio can do different voices that sound like they're coming from completely different people. It's incredible.

Also, if I were him, I would only speak in Bender's voice for everything.

AlStrong

What happened to the 360's blacks? Looks crushed to hell.

Besides the wonky gamma "curve" on 360, it's surprisingly easy to setup the capture wrong. It sure doesn't help that the 360 setup options aren't particularly helpful in just saying what the corresponding colour ranges are.

The man's voice range is incredible. A lot of voice actors I can easily pick out their different characters, but DiMaggio can do different voices that sound like they're coming from completely different people. It's incredible.

Yeah, he had me fooled for a second when I wasn't actually watching the screen and I heard him doing the Heretic voice. Talented fellow.

I wouldn't count on it. It's really disappointing to me to see these issues in the gold copy of the game. The Xbox One is supposedly ten times more powerful than the Xbox 360; running a 360 game at 1080p60 without a hitch shouldn't be an issue in the slightest.

Combined with some of the other issues (image quality, lack of AF, missing armor and theater features, lower H2A resolution, Halo PC netcode and port, etc.), it's even more disappointing. For those of us who know the series really well, especially people who know it well at a technical level, it's sad to see these games not being the best they could be.

The Jaguar CPU isn't always significantly faster than the 360 tri-core, so that can have an impact on hitting 60fps. I'm not sure what else they keep in the 32MB esram, but MSAA would be out of the question at 60fps anyway. AF is a tricky one because bottlenecks can change from scene to scene, so it's generally easier to just shut if off to hit a more consistent 60fps. If they had more time, maybe they could have worked on performance profiling more in-depth.

A 30Hz lock option would be curious if they did enable more AF and maybe render a bit higher than 1080p.

Impala26

Yeah...

- Gina Torres (Firefly)
- Erick Avari (Stargate)

Such as waste.

Ughhhh... IT HURTS...

Yeah...

- Gina Torres (Firefly)
- Erick Avari (Stargate)

Such as waste.

This is how I fooled myself into thinking that they must have cut some story content (e.g. cutscenes, dialogue) from the beta, and that the main game would be much more fleshed out. "Surely they wouldn't hire Nathan Fillion and Claudia Black to voice simple shopkeepers! No, they've definitely got bigger roles in the full game."

Such a stupid Poodle I was.

jem0208

I can't be the only one not getting his comment? Wasn't that a bit ... Random? Isn't that a quote from a Halo game? Can't really remember.

I have no idea what he's on about...

Jen Taylor did some work on Destiny too. Man, that game is such a bummer.

The entire game is disappointing. It's such a shame because in SP (not so much in MP) the core gameplay is pretty solid. It's like they took this great gameplay, and spent the rest of the dev time purposefully trying to make the game as boring as possible.

Last call for Gamertags if you want them in the OT. I have just over 30 right now and I got like 200 votes for the OT thread title. If you do want yours included, PM it to me with your timezone.

You've got mine, right? I may have forgotten my timezone, it's GMT+1.

The entire game is disappointing. It's such a shame because in SP (not so much in MP) the core gameplay is pretty solid. It's like they took this great gameplay, and spent the rest of the dev time purposefully trying to make the game as boring as possible.

There's likely a lot more too it than that. Common conclusions drawn based on Joe Staten leaving a year before release, along with other things, is that the higher-ups (either at Bungie or Activision) decided that the story needed to be lobotomised for a younger audience (Teen rating) or more casual gamers. There's evidence in various places that the original plans and builds of Destiny were a lot more ambitious: there were a lot more features like trading, and the story was much more developed.

Ultimately it's all speculation, but it's highly depressing that we got a small fraction of what we could have. It must be frustrating for Bungie employees to have had to ship a game in Destiny's current state.

jem0208

I FUCKING KNEW IT. Did some quick research. Look what I've found out. WTF!!

:O!

It's ever so slightly wrong though... Kamp said "sir" and the cutscene said "captain".

Even so #Believe.

There's likely a lot more too it than that. Common conclusions drawn based on Joe Staten leaving a year before release, along with other things, is that the higher-ups (either at Bungie or Activision) decided that the story needed to be lobotomised for a younger audience (Teen rating) or more casual gamers. There's evidence in various places that the original plans and builds of Destiny were a lot more ambitious: there were a lot more features like trading, and the story was much more developed.

Ultimately it's all speculation, but it's highly depressing that we got a small fraction of what we could have. It must be frustrating for Bungie employees to have had to ship a game in Destiny's current state.

Oh, it's obvious they weren't trying to ruin the game. It just feels like they were. So many aspects are half assed and just plain bad.

Yeah man, I have yours!

Why don't you post the current list here? Then anyone who hasn't been put on there will know.

Mix

Right at 50 people last time I counted, unless I counted wrong.
The order it's it is:
GAMERTAG (GAF profile) Country (time zone)
MIXMASTERCHlEF (Mix) USA (CST)
VisceralBowl (VisceralBowl) USA (PST)
BigSolar (Antigoon)
Welfare Queen I (Welfare) USA (EST)
Ninjarage93 (Ryn) USA (PST)
Vin FTW (VinFTW)
Ragnarok Flames (Ragnarok Flames)
xGranadier (Granadier) USA (CST)
Poodlestrike (Poodlestrike) USA (EST)
wwm0nkey (wwm0nkey)
ArchedThunder (ArchedThunder) USA (MT)
BlueNinja BE (Blue Ninja) BE (CET)
Deer Man 420 (MasterChef420)
IHaveAnIce (IHaveIce) Germany
a zoojoo (aHebrewMenagerie) USA (CST)
Monsterfracas (Fracas) USA (CST)
Agent Strange (The Flash) USA (EST)
GringoSuave89 (GringoSuave89) USA (MT)
l Hobokiller l (rrc1594)
JHFerry3 (jhferry) USA (EST)
TCKaos (TCKaos) USA (CST)
Mr Glassboy (Glassboy) USA (CST)
gAg CruSh3r (gAg CruSh3r) USA (MT)
NFotos (Fotos)
Japarikan (Japarican) USA (EST)
iL MeanBean Li (Jem0208) UK
Sikamikanico (Sikamikanico) UK (GMT)
Sir Fahzgoolin (Fahzgoolin) USA (CST)
LeadGandalf (Gandie) EU
Wahrer (Subzero at a starbucks) USA (EST)
iiSaviour (StaticJam) USA (EST)
GrizzNKev (GrizzNKev) USA (PST)
HGStormy (HGStormy) USA (PST)
BattingTITAN (Ohwiseone) USA (CST)
Vlad356 (Computron) USA (CST)
cluckinho10 (cluckinho) USA (CST)
beamimpact (BeamImpact) USA
BigEvilTurtle (BigEvilTurtle) USA (EST)
Ominym (Ominym) USA (CST)
Lpwnsome (JackHerer) USA (EST)
TXC Predacon (yingyangryder) JA (JST)
Total Sacrifice (Blueblur1) USA (EST)
BladedExpert (BladedExpert) UK (GMT)
Der Flatulator6 (Der Flatulator) AU (AEDT)
ViewtifulJC (ViewtifulJC) USA (CST)
Calm Killer (Calm Killer) USA (EST)
FUBAR McDangles (FUBAR McDangles) USA (CST)
The Tharp Daddy (TharpDaddy) USA (EST)
Digmouse (SmartWaffles) CN (CST)
XxDeputyMoonman (Deputy Moonman) USA (CST)

DLC will make it an interesting game, I'm sure of it. (holds breath)

Impala26

Yeah, I think Destiny's issues stemmed from design decisions from above, whether Activision-motivated in terms of deadlines or Harold Ryan/Jason Jones. I knew the game wasn't going to be as good as Halo, but I certainly expected more from a final product. The lack of overall content and oftentimes bass-ackwards design decisions become really obvious after playing for a time.

The result? I'm not really saddened by Joe Staten's and Marty O'Donnell's respective departures from the company anymore. They can move on to do bigger and BETTER things and not be held down by whatever B.S. style of development Bungie now takes to keep in lockstep with Mr. Monopoly Activision.

I wouldn't. Still sounds to me like they're charging $20 for what should be like a $10 DLC based on the content that's been disclosed. Gotta love stripping down the base game to repackage and resell to consumers as DLC later eh?

#datActivision

Don't hold for too long...

Personally I'm boycotting the first DLC due to PS getting an exclusive Strike. That makes 8 for PS and 6 for Xbox.

I've got Halo to play, anyway. There's no way a 4 game scripts, a few disc locked content unlock keys and a level increase is worth $20 IMO. Depends on the Raid I guess.

Top Bottom