• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Karl2177

I've been watching some pro CS:GO tournament streams recently and it stood out to me how much easier it is to follow matches than it ever was in Halo. So here's some thing I pretty much ripped straight out of CS:GO's spectator mode that I'd like to see incorporated into Halo Channel:

1. Outline for enemy and friendly players so you can see them when they're behind objects
2. Top-down view of either part of or the entire the map in the bottom left. (radar isn't used in competitive anyway)
3. Gamertag at the bottom middle.
4. No scoring in-game as it's already displayed in the overlay.
5. No timer in-game and move it to the overlay. (add round count if needed)
6. No event feed as it's already displayed in the overlay.
7. Colorize the names and teams in the event feed.
8. Replace "was killed by" in the event feed with weapons that were used. (not shown in the picture)

Hell, if you really wanted to you could probably put the overview of the map at the top left and move or not display the map name and gametype. Maybe put the name of the player we're currently watching below the timer or something too. That would really clear up some space on the screen in-game.

This is good. The only thing I would add is that there should be an option within the Custom Gamemode file that says whether player outlines are visible or not. I can see something like that being abused outside of a tournament setting, when players are just streaming.

Overdoziz

Banned
This is good. The only thing I would add is that there should be an option within the Custom Gamemode file that says whether player outlines are visible or not. I can see something like that being abused outside of a tournament setting, when players are just streaming.
Online CS:GO spectator mode has a 2 minute delay to prevent people from abusing it.

Ghazi

Online CS:GO spectator mode has a 2 minute delay to prevent people from abusing it.

Dota 2, with the isometric view where you can see everything and everyone, has pretty much the same thing to prevent abuse, for spectators. It works pretty well, spectating in client is always really awesome!

Karl2177

Is there a delay during live tournaments? I'll be honest, the only tournaments I've ever watched have been for SC2 and Halo. Halo never had a spectator system and live streaming them were janky, and SC2's was live but spectators were in the pre-game lobby, so it prevented people from cheat-spectating.

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
I decided not to watch the prologue cutscene, but I gather from some of your comments that
the arbiter has new armor?

Is it good or bad?

Question for HaloGAF:

Would it be a good idea to pick up the MCC if I'm a bit of a FPS newbie? I'm not too much of a multiplayer person (although I'll play with friends) but I like ones with a good narrative/backstory and ones that have a mode where you can beat it if you're not a hardcore player.

(Basically I have issues with certain first-person games and some other games like Mario 3D Land/World where my sense of depth has issues making out where I'll need to land and/or move. I can tend to get around it by practicing, though.)

Heard the story was supposed to be decent in the games and I was impressed with the amount of content they're putting into the game. But if there's not an easy mode that I can build myself up from I dunno if it'd be a good purchase for me.

Booshka

I've been watching some pro CS:GO tournament streams recently and it stood out to me how much easier it is to follow matches than it ever was in Halo. So here's some thing I pretty much ripped straight out of CS:GO's spectator mode that I'd like to see incorporated into Halo Channel:

1. Outline for enemy and friendly players so you can see them when they're behind objects
2. Top-down view of either part of or the entire the map in the bottom left. (radar isn't used in competitive anyway)
3. Gamertag at the bottom middle.
4. No scoring in-game as it's already displayed in the overlay.
5. No timer in-game and move it to the overlay. (add round count if needed)
6. No event feed as it's already displayed in the overlay.
7. Colorize the names and teams in the event feed.
8. Replace "was killed by" in the event feed with weapons that were used. (not shown in the picture)

Hell, if you really wanted to you could probably put the overview of the map at the top left and move or not display the map name and gametype. Maybe put the name of the player we're currently watching below the timer or something too. That would really clear up some space on the screen in-game.

Of course Walshy is the most negative.

Good ideas and layout, CS GO is really impressive for spectating, and Halo needs something similar to really match up as a spectator eSport.

Question for HaloGAF:

Would it be a good idea to pick up the MCC if I'm a bit of a FPS newbie? I'm not too much of a multiplayer person (although I'll play with friends) but I like ones with a good narrative/backstory and ones that have a mode where you can beat it if you're not a hardcore player.

(Basically I have issues with certain first-person games and some other games like Mario 3D Land/World where my sense of depth has issues making out where I'll need to land and/or move. I can tend to get around it by practicing, though.)

Heard the story was supposed to be decent in the games and I was impressed with the amount of content they're putting into the game. But if there's not an easy mode that I can build myself up from I dunno if it'd be a good purchase for me.

Halo is perfect for beginners.

-Ryn

Banned
I decided not to watch the prologue cutscene, but I gather from some of your comments that

Is it good or bad?
The jury's still out but the consensus so far seems to be that it's probably an attempt at traditional elite culture. Those Honor Guard head pieces weren't exactly... subtle.

IMO the prologue and epilogue should not have book-ended Halo 2, but rather, the prologue before Halo 1 and the epilogue at the end of Halo 4.

Is it good or bad?

Well, in regards to that question,
I love the new armor. I feel like it's more Sangheili/ornate/organic/whathaveyou than the Covenant armor. Picture the Arbiter armor from H2 going Super Sayian.

IMO the prologue and epilogue should not have book-ended Halo 2, but rather, the prologue before Halo 1 and the epilogue at the end of Halo 4.

Agreed wholeheartedly. Best case scenario, I was hoping for the Prologue to play when you first run MCC, and the epilogue to play when you complete all 4 games under any difficulty.

I'll keep this list updated as we go but so far here are the current signups.

xCliQuEx
xGranadier
Welfare Queen I
Poodlestrike
MizzouRah88
The Tharp Daddy
Kaizen Gamer

Y'all should do 4v4 or 2v2 for CTF BG... I don't know why you would want to play 8v8

Booshka

Y'all should do 4v4 or 2v2 for CTF BG... I don't know why you would want to play 8v8

2v2 is way too few, but 4v4 and the actually best player count. 6v6, are preferable in my opinion.

8v8 is a great way to test that Halo CE netcode and framerate though, which I imagine will be an issue.

Is it good or bad?

Yup. I like it, though some people think
his hat is stupid. In all fairness, it kind of is, but tradition dictates that an Elite's rank directly correlates with the size/stupidity of their hat. Arby is king of the Elites, so he gets the biggest/dumbest hat in the land. On the whole, the new look works for him. Very ornate, like it's pre-Covenant.

I have good news!

EDIT: Or, at least, the last I heard that's how it worked.

Overdoziz

Banned
Is there a delay during live tournaments? I'll be honest, the only tournaments I've ever watched have been for SC2 and Halo. Halo never had a spectator system and live streaming them were janky, and SC2's was live but spectators were in the pre-game lobby, so it prevented people from cheat-spectating.
Well most tournaments are played on LAN so there's no online spectating (and even if there was there wouldn't be commentators unless it's a Valve hosted tournament) so you just have to resort to Twitch.

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
The jury's still out but the consensus so far seems to be that it's probably an attempt at traditional elite culture. Those Honor Guard head pieces weren't exactly... subtle.
So are there honor guards in the cutscene, or do you mean it looks a lot more traditional than honor guard pieces?

Omni

Question for HaloGAF:

You'll probably get donged on in multiplayer. Halo doesn't seem to be the most forgiving FPS to new players because people have literally been playing it for a decade, IMO. No matter how much we complain about hand holding and whatnot. Haha.

But you've got the campaign which is very accessible and all the co-op stuff across four games. Which if nothing else will be some of the most fun you'll get out of the collection and get you acquainted with the gameplay. You'll be fine

So are there honor guards in the cutscene, or do you mean it looks a lot more traditional than honor guard pieces?

The other elites look more or less the same, but I went back to the literary classic that is Halo Escalation
lol no it's so terrible drawn/paced
Arbiter looks
the same as that in the cutscene, just no cape.

Ah, I hope this means the arbiter is a major character in halo 5

The fact there's already a continuity in appearance going on, I hope so too. Outlook is looking good!

To add to my previous post
the helmet is different (mouth isn't enclosed) and there is a lot more detail in the armor (naturally, the art in Escalation is terribad).

CliQ

Ok so I'm going to really try to make this MCC Throwdown thing a weekly ritual. I made a Facebook page and Twitter account for people to follow so I don't bother everyone here all the time.

4nKJlI5.jpg

Facebook: Halo: MCC Throwdown
Twitter: @MCCThrowdown

This way I have a home to post events and videos of the games. I will have the events posted on the facebook page and people can sign up to the events that way if they wish. See you on the battlefield!

Madness

Question for HaloGAF:

If you're completely new to the series, be prepared to lose in multiplayer. Like Rosso said above, many of us have been playing shooters for decades, and Halo for almost 13+ years now. Obviously though, the first matches will be tough, you'll be ranked or matched up with people more to your skill level the more you play.

Campaign and story wise, there are different difficulties and you'd probably prefer to play each of them on easy, so not only do you pick up the shooting mechanics, but also learn things like headshots, grenades, using vehicles, trying out a variety of weapons. This will help you for when you play multiplayer and you remember what plasma grenades do, what the sniper rifle is like, how to drive a Warthog etc.

This is perhaps the best time for you to jump in. Unified menus, a wealth of features. This will also help prepare you for Halo 5 should you want it. It's an extremely rewarding series, we're all passionate for it for a reason, and remember, you can always play customs too, not all of us here are pros or hyper competitive. As with anything in life, the more you play, the longer you stick with it, the more you'll improve.

AlStrong

Yup. I like it, though some people think
his hat is stupid. In all fairness, it kind of is, but tradition dictates that an Elite's rank directly correlates with the size/stupidity of their hat. Arby is king of the Elites, so he gets the biggest/dumbest hat in the land. On the whole, the new look works for him. Very ornate, like it's pre-Covenant.

Would be awesome if Arby acknowledged that in-game at some point (or just doesn't notably disagree). Bring back some of that humour the games used to have here and there.

Human: "Ya know, that headdress..."
Arby: "*grunts* It is.... tradition."

but weapon sets, yo.

The way this article suggests it, it's not weapons sets.

Honestly, they just described COD:AW with armor shields. Plus, a magazine wouldn't publish a leak when 343 would sue for breaking NDA, AND it has yet to be taken down (like that sweet sweet prologue video).

VinFTW

I'm just saying, traditional shooters still reign supreme, there's no need for anything of that stuff (fake or not) to be in Halo.

(ex. CS:GO)

That's the last I'll say on the matter.

Top Bottom