• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Is it just me or is there way too many visor designs in Halo now? the only two I love to see are the chief's visor design and ODST's because it's quite similar in size, all these tiny lines of blue or visor eye dots instead of a screen are ugly and should not be in the mix.

It's annoyed me since reach, we don't need all those visors!

jem0208

Let us do avatar bets, I say the leak is real besides the loadouts thing
Hmm, I'm not sure.

The majority of the stuff could have been guessed at from the promo stiff we've seen for the beta. The maps, ground pound, charge etc. which were described have all been shown already.

The only original stuff is the ledge climbing, weapon indicators (however that's in H2A...), Breakout and loadouts.

Loadouts have already been confirmed to be false. So either they were playing a build which had loadouts in, which seems unlikely. Or they're lying.

It also didn't go into many details, it was all quite vague.

Karl2177

Don't forget that if there is a ledge climbing animation, it means that the player climbing the ledge isn't very visible until they are over the ledge. If double jumps are included, what is preventing a player who is being chased from jumping off a ledge, turning 180, and jumping back up to do a ledge grab and essentially hide from the pursuing player? It's a scenario where the upper hand player doesn't win because of the opponent's exploitation rather than the opponent's expertise.

Note: I'm not saying this because I believe the supposed leak to be real, but merely pointing out issues with this particular design.

jem0208

Don't forget that if there is a ledge climbing animation, it means that the player climbing the ledge isn't very visible until they are over the ledge. If double jumps are included, what is preventing a player who is being chased from jumping off a ledge, turning 180, and jumping back up to do a ledge grab and essentially hide from the pursuing player? It's a scenario where the upper hand player doesn't win because of the opponent's exploitation rather than the opponent's expertise.

Note: I'm not saying this because I believe the supposed leak to be real, but merely pointing out issues with this particular design.

This depends on how quick the animation is. If it's a very fast animation then this won't make a difference.

I also don't see how that's a negative really. Sounds like the player running off the ledge just outplays the pursuing player in this case. That's actually quite a skillful move.

It's comparable to ninja-ing someone.
While I still don't think that the leak is real, wouldn't that a) require a decent bit of skill from the losing player and b) leave them massively vulnerable?
Exactly, this isn't the running playing exploiting anything, they're out maneuvering the chasing player.

While I still don't think that the leak is real, wouldn't that a) require a decent bit of skill from the losing player and b) leave them massively vulnerable?

Overdoziz

Banned
6PqBehw.gif

Halo 5 hype is real.

Spades

Think i'll be asleep because of my timezone. If you play any new missions, are you able to save it so others can watch later?

Yeah, my streams are archived. You can view them here:
http://www.twitch.tv/bloma/profile/past_broadcasts

Spades - wanna hook up for some co-op campaign at some point for a duel stream?

Sure dude - as soon as we're allowed to get some co-op streamed, I'm game. Going to focus on streaming MP as soon as the update goes live, though.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
If Halo 5 was closer to Quake, id be a happy halo fan. Its good to evolve the game, but hopefully theyre not copying the titanfall and codaw trends, though in my opinion, titanfal had amazing movement, but the game was garbage. If halo 5 ca increase speed and movement, i thi k it would be a much better arena shooter.

An item lime haste in quake that gives you 2x the speed for a limited time would be amazing, but it has to be something you fight to get, as in a powerup on the map.

If halo 5 can i corporate faster player movement with mantling, wall running, double jumling, etc, why not do it? If people do t lime the direction halo 5 goes, then the mcc is always goi g to be there as our fallback.

Spades

Does anyone know if all the skulls (preorder unlocks) are able to be found in the game?

All normal skulls are unlocked from the off. The pre-order skulls aren't available to download yet from the store, but I assume once downloaded they will also be available straight away.

No one talking about the possibility of a variety of settings per playlist or map or mode?

For me I still see that as the 5 sided Halo dice to provide solid classic barebones arena, enable default objective/BTB while opening a percentage of matchmaking for new stuff.

I'm surprised the lessons from Reach/4 aren't more prevelant in speculation or discussion. Full arena isn't the magic bullet one setting to rule them all and neither are new mechanics across the board. Variety with specificity in design and settings is key IMO.

I see nothing in current leaks or official info to shutdown any of the traditional modes and I like new things in new games. MCC has plenty of the old school en masse.

jem0208

I've been thinking about it, from a conceptual point of view I'm not actually that against ledge climbing. Provided the animation is very quick.

It increases your mobility which I like. It also doesn't necessarily remove skill jumps. There will still be a maximum height to which you can jump so it will still be possible to design maps which integrate skill jumps. It also allows for different types of skill jumps. Such as what Karl described, which IMO sounds great.

It's kind of interesting that Ellis just posted the tweet that josh tweeted, as opposed to just flat out denying it.

I still think the "leak" is just someone looking for attention lol

It's kind of interesting that Ellis just posted the tweet that josh tweeted, as opposed to just flat out denying it.

Reminds me of Frankie's response to that supposed Game Informer leak for Halo 4, or the MCC collection from crazy buttocks

which turned out to be true

VinFTW

No one talking about the possibility of a variety of settings per playlist or map or mode?

For me I still see that as the 5 sided Halo dice to provide solid classic barebones arena, enable default objective/BTB while opening a percentage of matchmaking for new stuff.

I'm surprised the lessons from Reach/4 aren't more prevelant in speculation or discussion. Full arena isn't the magic bullet one setting to rule them all and neither are new mechanics across the board. Variety with specificity in design and settings is key IMO.

I see nothing in current leaks or official info to shutdown any of the traditional modes and I like new things in new games. MCC has plenty of the old school en masse.

CS:GO. Celebrating their roots = mega-success.

Overdoziz

Banned
I didn't read the supposed leak but why are people giving a random person on Waypoint any credibility at all? Literally anyone could've written it.

IHaveIce

Banned
Reminds me of Frankie's response to that supposed Game Informer leak for Halo 4, or the MCC collection from crazy buttocks

which turned out to be true
It was ntkrnl not Cboat though but yeah
I didn't read the supposed leak but why are people giving a random person on Waypoint any credibility at all? Literally anyone could've written it.
because it was an article on an italian site and not just a poster

GrizzNKev

Banned
I'm not gonna believe anything until I see the actual game. Chill out for just a few days, then you have the right to get mad if it looks bad.

So I just read the leak. The fuck is this?

But don't worry guys, 343 know exactly what they fucked up. /s

Other than loadouts (which was already confirmed to be out) and sprint (which frankly sounded more like a charge/tackle/lunging melee), what was so bad about it again?

Assuming it's even slightly grounded in reality, of course.

Strider

I'm not gonna believe anything until I see the actual game. Chill out for just a few days, then you have the right to get mad if it looks bad.

Yep. And then there's still a long time until launch. You'll have plenty of time to put in feedback and see if anything changes for launch...

Welfare

Other than loadouts (which was already confirmed to be out) and sprint (which frankly sounded more like a charge/tackle/lunging melee), what was so bad about it again?

Double jumps, floating, edge grabbing.

Yep. And then there's still a long time until launch. You'll have plenty of time to put in feedback and see if anything changes for launch...

They aren't changing anything except for weapon nerfs/buffs. This beta is going to be close to what we get at launch.

Havok

A pretty unconvincing leak, but if it ends up being true I'm pretty cold on a lot of that stuff. "Charging" is just giving an animation to the current sprint -> melee capability that has been pretty obnoxious for the last two games, and doesn't really give any added functionality unless the base melee strength has been decreased when not in a charge. The ground pound...pass. Thrusters, fine, the writing's been on the wall and if it's the only way to get a decent strafe in a Halo game I'll take it.

Lots of talk about ledge climbing. I pretty much universally dislike that kind of contextual action in multiplayer shooters. I like abilities, geometry, and movement flow to be rigid and structural because it helps players predict what their opponents are capable of doing. When you get rid of that cognitive ability or make it exponentially more difficult the game starts feeling sloppy to the player. They also introduce a lot more room for mechanical error. Inevitably, when you add a contextual movement option like that there's going to be a time where you think it should work and it doesn't, and that's always frustrating for the player. With traditional traversal, it's always obvious that this is a ledge I can jump to, and this is one I cannot. That is a lot harder to communicate with contextual traversal abilities. It also potentially changes the profile of opposing players pretty dramatically, something Halo has traditionally been really good at keeping distinct. There's a really strong legacy of visual identification associated with the typical Halo player model in various movement modes that I wouldn't personally be willing to mess with.

Dunno. I guess there are other things to fall back on if it's not to my liking, though ideally I'd rather have ALL content be good, no matter the time of production. "But there could be different playlists without this stuff!" continues to be hilarious and miss both the point and reality, so thanks for that.

Edit: Forgot to mention Breakout - neat idea that depends entirely on the mechanical foundations of the game. Elimination in Halo is tough because later games have had some really screwy elements that can break down a firefight. The second you feel like your one life for the round was cheated away from you by a crappy gameplay mechanic that gametype is done for. Actually, Eliminatio in H3 was a decent compromise that wasn't given enough room to breathe - it was first to 5 so you had a little wiggle room, but still kept that very tense atmosphere. I'd like to see that return over a strict respawn-restricted gametype.

Double jumps, floating, edge grabbing.

Double jump could work. Floating... eh. Not sold on floating. Edge grabbing could either be really cool or entirely pointless depending on how it's implemented, so I'll give you that. But on the whole, I don't think the "343 knows exactly what they fucked up" bit was called for.

I can safely go the rest of my life without seeing "But there could be different playlists without this stuff!". Too many Halo Reach/4 flashbacks should have told me that's a straight line of bull. You fuck the core game, that's it. No Turbo update and playlist management can bring your playerbase back.

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
A pretty unconvincing leak, but if it ends up being true I'm pretty cold on a lot of that stuff. "Charging" is just giving an animation to the current sprint -> melee capability that has been pretty obnoxious for the last two games, and doesn't really give any added functionality unless the base melee strength has been decreased when not in a charge. The ground pound...pass. Thrusters, fine, the writing's been on the wall and if it's the only way to get a decent strafe in a Halo game I'll take it.

Lots of talk about ledge climbing. I pretty much universally dislike that kind of contextual action in multiplayer shooters. I like abilities, geometry, and movement flow to be rigid and structural because it helps players predict what their opponents are capable of doing. When you get rid of that cognitive ability or make it exponentially more difficult the game starts feeling sloppy to the player. They also introduce a lot more room for mechanical error. Inevitably, when you add a contextual movement option like that there's going to be a time where you think it should work and it doesn't, and that's always frustrating for the player. With traditional traversal, it's always obvious that this is a ledge I can jump to, and this is one I cannot. That is a lot harder to communicate with contextual traversal abilities.

Dunno. I guess there are other things to fall back on if it's not to my liking, though ideally I'd rather have ALL content be good, no matter the time of production. "But there could be different playlists without this stuff!" continues to be hilarious and miss both the point and reality, so thanks for that.
Excellent post, agree with every point.

jem0208

This is what I'm thinking, it definitely sounds different. However it doesn't sound necessarily bad. I'd want to see it in game first obviously, but on paper most of it sounded pretty good. If it's true, I'm liking the focus on movement.

Also breakout sounds awesome.

Also this, we have a beta a year before launch. If there's something which is truly bad, I'm sure 343 will realise if we complain enough.

Which knowing some of you guys, is going to happen.

I kid, love you all really ;)

Edit: What's this about floating? I thought it just implied you could spend more time in the air because you can jump higher and evade...

wall climbing alone will make me stay away from it.

Seriously? It's that big of a negative? We haven't even seen how it would work.

edge climbing alone will make me stay away from it.

Edit: I mean the edge grabbing thing, the stupid animation you do in the new cod/titanfall.

Hoping someone can assist with this?

I want to get ready for competitive Halo, and that means playing on a monitor.

So I've bought an HDMI switch and an HDMI splitter.

This is what I want to do:

Split the TV signal from the Virgin Cable box to both the TV and the Xbox One's HDMI IN.
Basically the TV can switch to HDMI Source 2 and watch TV as normal without the Xbox One overlay.

Then, using an HDMI switch, I will run one cable from the Xbox One output to the switch, and from there have one cable running into the TV HMDI Source 1 as normal, and the another from the switch to the back of my PC monitor.

This will work, right?

NewSetup.jpg

Anyone got any experience with stuff like this? The cable from the switch to my PC monitor will be about 15m long - can it cause input delay/degraded quality?

Thanks!

Ominym

Banned
That's about how I feel. I had already written off Halo 5 almost entirely and consider the burden of proof to be on 343i to bring me back. If any of this turns out to be true? I'll just end up thinking "yep" and moving on. But I'm certainly not going to get upset at something I don't know to be true currently.

On a related note? I just got around to seeing those unlockable armors for the Halo 5 beta in the MCC. Boy oh boy those are sure ugly. Some designer really struggles with that ODST armor, don't they?

Top Bottom