• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

The Flash

Banned
Krieger's views on the MCC

ksCroho.gif

Assuming some of the leak is true, I am not happy about the implications of the ground pound ability, nor the automatic climbing of ledges while jumping. If we see an animation for climbing ledges it will eliminate the need for skill jumps.

I assume the response would be "The animation is triggered when a 'skill jump' would not be successful, but takes more time and leaves you vulnerable, thus rewarding successful jumps." Which makes sense on a competitive level to a degree, but it also changes the flow and pace of the game. I would rather fall down, missing the intended platform, keeping the gameplay more based upon calculated movements.

That said, this is a hypothetical response to a hypothetical response of alleged gameplay features from a less than verified leak.

He didn't say anything that hasn't already been said, but yeah, it's good to hear it again. I'm not sure what swiftness has anything to do with what Josh Holmes is talking about, though? Edit : Or what it has to do with the speculated spartan abilities.

Yeah. I just haven't seen it so plainly put myself.

I'm just referring to the rumors of thrusters etc. Honestly the "leak" that said sprint prevents recharging of shields sounds like a really interesting idea.

Don't hate me.

That said is a hypothetical response to a hypothetical response of alleged gameplay features from a less than verified leak.
You make a fair point. However I'm assuming skill jumps could still be present because only certain ledges could activate the animation. However these designs tend to pull an assassin's Creed issue of accidentally triggering an animation when not intended. Either way we need full control when it comes to movement.

Edit: sorry for back to back pots. Getting use to this phone.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. I just haven't seen it so plainly put myself.

I'm just referring to the rumors of thrusters etc. Honestly the "leak" that said sprint prevents recharging of shields sounds like a really interesting idea.

Don't hate me.
I've seen a few mentions of the leak, but haven't seen the actual supposed leak. Was it posted here? I only checked a few pages back.

And yeah, I really want Halo to have thrusters, as well as a double jump. I remember Titanfall's reveal and thinking "this is what I've wanted in Halo for years". And it's true -- I've been talking about how awesome that type of agility could be in Halo for a long time.

Sprint depleting shields is an interesting idea. An animation for climbing ledges sounds terrible to me. One thing I love about FPS games is how fluid and natural they feel -- don't shoe horn unnecessary flourishes.

Fracas

#fuckonami
True. But it goes a long way in removing the randomness from the matches. This way, someone can't just get camo and pick up sniper, someone else just can't jetpack. It removes a lot of the fights being decided in the menus and not the battlefield.

Ideally, I'd rather not have Spartan abilities, but I know a lot of people here wanted things like universal thrust, so you never know.

Yeah, that was my point. To clarify, the term "fair starts" doesn't exactly mean a lot when we don't know what the abilties are and how they affect the game.

Definitely. And it also needs to be visually clear what abilities a player has to them at any given point. Visual feedback is huge when you're implementing stuff that people can have in their back pocket at any given time.

I need this in spanish or at least in spain span...english
I'm about 50ish pages in since I posted that, and I gotta say, even if I can't yet judge the story, the writing itself is much better. Much less clunky and contrived. Less "A happened then B happened and don't forget to hate Halsey in your soul" and more "elegant description of the scene and atmosphere mixed in with a modestly-paced plot that still allows for decent character development."

Trey

I'm about 50ish pages in since I posted that, and I gotta say, even if I can't yet judge the story, the writing itself is much better. Much less clunky and contrived. Less "A happened then B happened and don't forget to hate Halsey in your soul" and more "elegant description of the scene and atmosphere mixed in with a modestly-paced plot that still allows for decent character development."

So, on a scale of Glasslands to Fall of Reach...

Assuming some of the leak is true, I am not happy about the implications of the ground pound ability, nor the automatic climbing of ledges while jumping. If we see an animation for climbing ledges it will eliminate the need for skill jumps.

I assume the response would be "The animation is triggered when a 'skill jump' would not be successful, but takes more time and leaves you vulnerable, thus rewarding successful jumps." Which makes sense on a competitive level to a degree, but it also changes the flow and pace of the game. I would rather fall down, missing the intended platform, keeping the gameplay more based upon calculated movements.

That said, this is a hypothetical response to a hypothetical response of alleged gameplay features from a less than verified leak.

what leak?

Thats nice I guess, compared to Halo: TW where you were changing zones so fast I had to re-read previous pages to understand what happened or where location they are in that page.

I made this as a joke, so uh, 343, forgive me.

I'm incredibly hyped for Halo 5, yet I couldn't help myself

Actually, I'll save that for if the joke is ever relevant. I don't wanna start spreading pictures like that, even as a joke, before we know about the game at all.

IMO weapon sets are fine. So long as they don't include any perks, extra abilities, etc. Just the guns. If someone prefers a SMG to a Magnum then by all means...

iFirez

Guys, let's pray this is a return to good Halo books.

I'm goin' in...

B1pg1vYCUAABOKe.jpg

I'm going to listen to the audiobook today/tonight, should be interesting if they retcon a lot of the ideas behind the Sangheili-San 'Shyuum War and creation of the Covenant, similar to how they added the whole Forerunner-Human war aspect in with Cryptum. But overall, excited to dive into an aspect of the Halo Universe not hugely talked about since Halo 2.

I'm going to listen to the audiobook today/tonight, should be interesting if they retcon a lot of the ideas behind the Sangheili-San 'Shyuum War and creation of the Covenant, similar to how they added the whole Forerunner-Human war aspect in with Cryptum. But overall, excited to dive into an aspect of the Halo Universe not hugely talked about since Halo 2.

That retcon made me want to play out these events in video game form:

willow ve

I've seen a few mentions of the leak, but haven't seen the actual supposed leak. Was it posted here? I only checked a few pages back.

And yeah, I really want Halo to have thrusters, as well as a double jump. I remember Titanfall's reveal and thinking "this is what I've wanted in Halo for years". And it's true -- I've been talking about how awesome that type of agility could be in Halo for a long time.

Sprint depleting shields is an interesting idea. An animation for climbing ledges sounds terrible to me. One thing I love about FPS games is how fluid and natural they feel -- don't shoe horn unnecessary flourishes.

Wouldn't surprise me if the ledge grabbing mechanic forced the player into a 3rd person camera.

Please let the leak be mistaken.

Equal starts does sound promising.

-Ryn

Banned

I've always thought that Halo could really benefit from a more diverse movement system. Especially since it's so focused on map flow and all that. Being able to get around the map in different ways is just the kind of thing that would make for more interesting encounters and potentially battles.

Now that I'm think about Titanfall I wonder if the sequel will manage to actually hold up. The gameplay is still fantastic it's just... the lack of variety and content that kills it for me. I think the game deserves a solid campaign.

IHaveIce

Banned
Ok now letting the Leak sink in, everything besides climbing up ledges is ok.

The charge and groundpound are still a question mark though, I can live with more mobility in Halo.

What I don't like are stupid abilities. The groundpund sounds like the Super out of Destiny and I hope it is not.
The charge aswell..

Climbing just sounds like a super slow movement thing that slows ganeplay down.

I also think the leak is very real

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
What's this about a leak?

I've only been half paying attention for the last few days...
There were two.
The 'leak' everyone's talking about right now is an article talking about halo 5: guardians gameplay, talking about loadouts, wall climbing, ground pumping (?) i think. Josh Holmes went on twitter and has at least confirmed equal starts.

Also, the Master chief collection prologue got leaked.

jem0208

There were two.
The 'leak' everyone's talking about right now is an article talking about halo 5: guardians gameplay, talking about loadouts, wall climbing, ground pumping (?) i think. Josh Holmes went on twitter and has at least confirmed equal starts.

Ohh, is there a link to the article anywhere?

I knew about the prologue.

Edit: I think I found it: http://teambeyond.net/forum/index.php?/topic/7424-halo-5-beta-first-impressions/

IMO, it doesn't appear to be that bad... It sounds like when the author was referring to sprint it was actually some form of charge, which from the descriptions just sounds like a lunge melee. I like the sound of a double jump and evading. The ledge climbing sounds a bit weird. If it was very quick I'm not sure it would be too bad, but I'd rather not have it. I have no problem with indicators for weapons, as long as you can turn them off. As for the loadouts, as long as they are only weapon sets I'm not too fussed.

The Breakout gametype sounds like it could be really good.

My biggest concern is actually this:

The second one instead is a charge from above: you can click the right stick while aiming on the ground to perform a Ground Pound, but you will be left vulnerable to enemy fire.

Left trigger for aiming?

Then again, highly doubt this is real.

willow ve

There were two.

Anyone have a link to the leaked article?

Top Bottom