• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

New 1080p/60fps videos.

Halo 2 Anniversary Zanzibar Oddball Stonetown in 1080p - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GBbcNyD-qA

Halo 4 Vertigo Flood in 1080p - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LktCP0th_TI

Halo 2 Anniversary Lockdown Slayer in 1080p - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgNzXCiCD6U

Halo 3 The Pit Oddball in 1080p - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3PhdjLj9YU

Halo 4 Haven Capture the Flag in 1080p - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOb98PRF51w

Halo 4 Abandon SWAT in 1080p - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4x6eKwYJmY

Halo 2 Anniversary Sanctuary Slayer Shrine in 1080p - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvK3Kj03b7E

Halo 4 Haven SWAT in 1080p- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG2s0HLeh7g

Halo 4 looks so amazing from a technical standpoint. And ... The dedicated servers seem to be working very well.
Couldn't finish any of these.

dwells

Seriously.

343 why are preview copies being given to people who clearly struggle with controllers.

Gimme a copy ill post some 1080p 60fps gameplay of donging. Everyone loves a good donging.

For real. This is a big issue with game reviews in general. You get people who aren't familiar with the franchise, or not familiar enough at least, and aren't capable of diving deep enough into the game to really provide an informed review. Then you wind up with reviews like Halo 4 getting a 9.8 about how it "out-Bungie'd Bungie."

You need objective hands-on from experienced players (perhaps some pro players not affiliated with 343i) who can talk about things like the network performance, how the framerate improvement affects movement and gameplay, what it's like returning to older games, how it feels as a player to quickly hop from one entry in the series to the next, how the unified control scheme option feels, etc. Not to be "elitist," but it's not really helpful to see people running around with no idea what they're doing or how to play the game and then hear "oh yeah, it's pretty cool I guess, there's a lot of stuff."

singhr1

Microsoft Store Launch Events:

http://majornelson.com/2014/11/05/m...d-opening-meetup-syracuse-ny/?linkId=10382487

Most of the nation’s 106 locations will begin Halo: The Master Chief Collection launch festivities on Monday, November 10 at 10 p.m. local time.

Attendees will be able try out the game with fellow Master Chief fans while they wait, and enjoy free food and prize raffles. Be one of the first 150 to pick up your copy of Halo: The Master Chief Collection to score an exclusive Halo t-shirt and Microsoft canteen. You can also catch everything from the HaloFest Premiere Event, which will be streamed to your local Microsoft Store so you won’t miss the reveal of the Halo 5: Guardians multiplayer beta or the debut of Halo: Nightfall.

What’s more, the Bellevue Square Mall Microsoft Store in Bellevue, WA, will host a special premiere event, which will have Master Chief available for photo opportunities. The Halo: The Master Chief Collection will come to life through a museum-like experience with Halo props from the archives and replica pieces on display throughout the store. There will be lots of great raffle prizes and giveaways too! We’re also hosting an event in the Austin Microsoft Store where members of the 405th , in full Spartan Armor, and 343 developers will also be on hand to mingle with fans , adding another level of excitement to the event.

Nine other Microsoft stores locations will also host Halo: The Master Chief Collection events featuring a Live DJ along with free and early game play, great prizes and much more! Bridgewater Commons (Bridgewater, NJ), Burlington Mall (Burlington, MA) Fashion Show (Las Vegas, NV), Oak Park Mall (Overland Park, KS), Pioneer Place (Portland, OR), Plaza Las Americas (San Juan, PR), Scottsdale Fashion Square (Scottsdale, AZ), University Village (Seattle, WA), and Westfield San Francisco Centre (San Francisco, CA).

Microsoft stores will keep the celebration going, all 106 Microsoft Stores will host daily Halo happy hours from 4-6 p.m. beginning Tuesday, November 11 through Friday, November 14 featuring free gameplay and swag giveaways.

Later in the week, I will personally be opening the Microsoft Store at Destiny USA in Syracuse, New York on Nov. 13 at 10:30 a.m. Then at 7pm that evening, I’ll be hosting a special fan meetup, where we’ll be raffling off a special Halo collectables package, as well as an Xbox One and other prizes.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone with a solid understanding of double elimination brackets want to help me out with some elementary school level math? I have a hard time wrapping my head around this stuff, lol.

The tournament is going to be a best of three, with each match having a 12 minute timer. That's a possible 36 minutes per three matches*. Let's round up to 50 minutes per three matches to allow for setting up the maps, gametypes, etc. So, with that in mind, what would be the maximum amount of time necessary to complete this bracket (PDF)?

*I guess I need an english lesson here, too. Each individual game is called a match, right? So what would each set of three matches be called? As a native english speaker and Halo fan you'd think I'd know this, but nope.

Thanks all! I just want to make sure I understand this stuff. I'll be announcing all the tournament details really soon. :)

dwells

if you made it through this video without cringing or internally facepalming once, I commend you

Like, it's not even a "being bad at Halo" thing. It's not even a "being bad at video games" thing. It might not even be a "I lack logic and critical thinking skills" thing. It's a "I have zero common sense" thing.

"Hey, I've got this ball thing here I have to hold onto for points. I can't shoot anyone when I have it. Now, should I stay in this area where there's no a lot of people, I have cover, and might be able to fend for myself? Nah, I think the smart thing would be to run way out into the open where there's a bunch of people eager to put bullets into my face region!"

Can only hope that guy never finds his way into a real combat scenario. Or paintball game for that matter.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Anyone with a solid understanding of double elimination brackets want to help me out with some elementary school level math? I have a hard time wrapping my head around this stuff, lol.

The tournament is going to be a best of three, with each match having a 12 minute timer. That's a possible 36 minutes per three matches*. Let's round up to 50 minutes per three matches to allow for setting up the maps, gametypes, etc. So, with that in mind, what would be the maximum amount of time necessary to complete this bracket (PDF)?

*I guess I need an english lesson here, too. Each individual game is called a match, right? So what would each set of three matches be called? As a native english speaker and Halo fan you'd think I'd know this, but nope.

Thanks all! I just want to make sure I understand this stuff. I'll be announcing all the tournament details really soon. :)

i uh what

uwdanman

Neo Member
We have a full 16 but continue to sign up if you want to play. We will probably have a few drop out and will need backups!

Throw me in as a backup. I might have something going on that day/early afternoon but will try to be on. If I can't play that night, would be up for future customs. Always down for H1 2v2s.

GT: uwdanman

Mix

I'd call each three match set a Set.

CliQ

Can anyone in here good with photoshop make two verisons of this spartan? One red and one blue. Also, if you could keep the transparent background that would be awesome! Thank you!

HCEA-MasterChiefMkV.png

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I feel some Battlefield 3 soilder quotes will be needed for the Throwdown Brodown.

"Get your dicks in the dirt!"

"Fuck, I"m getting my shit pushed in here!"

"The enemy is winning. What the fuck are you guys doing!?"

"I'm getting fucked up the ass over here!"

Battlequotes

BF4 is seriously lacking good soilder chatter

If I understand everything correctly, you've got something like 48 matches at ~50 minutes apiece. And rather than the MAXIMUM amount of time (which could be infinite for all we know), I'm going to tell you the minimum.

So we've got 48 * 50 = 2400 minutes. 2400 minutes / 60 minutes = 40 hours.

Granted this is your total time, and when matches are going on at the same time, this is compacted the number of rounds.

EDIT: RIP Croatia. Also, if you're assuming everyone starts on time (never), everyone finishes on time (never), all the equivalent rounds in both brackets occur simultaneously, AND that the two brackets are both running at the same time, then you just multiply 50 mins * the number of rounds. So about 50*8 = 400 minutes or just shy of 7 hours. This doesn't count any break time or technical difficulties or anything extraneous.

Tawpgun

For real. This is a big issue with game reviews in general. You get people who aren't familiar with the franchise, or not familiar enough at least, and aren't capable of diving deep enough into the game to really provide an informed review. Then you wind up with reviews like Halo 4 getting a 9.8 about how it "out-Bungie'd Bungie."

You need objective hands-on from experienced players (perhaps some pro players not affiliated with 343i) who can talk about things like the network performance, how the framerate improvement affects movement and gameplay, what it's like returning to older games, how it feels as a player to quickly hop from one entry in the series to the next, how the unified control scheme option feels, etc. Not to be "elitist," but it's not really helpful to see people running around with no idea what they're doing or how to play the game and then hear "oh yeah, it's pretty cool I guess, there's a lot of stuff."

If I had some game review site or whatever I think for every game I wanted to review I'd bring in a fan of the franchise a newcomer and maybe someone who casually plays.

If you have someone who is a fan of a franchise you can also end up with a 10/10 game because of fanboy nonsense. But if you have someone unfamiliar with it you get a review that docks points and gives points for the wrong reasons.

Has anyone seen any ads for MCC yet? I find it odd that there seems to be little awareness for this title in the general public, in my experiences anyway.

Madness

Knew I should've pre-ordered at the Microsoft Store. I have to waste 12 hours of launch night donging to sleep and pick it up in the morning at an EbGames. First game I've wanted in so long that I couldn't get at midnight. Really shows how much trouble Xbox One still is in.

Hey guys, need some help here.

One of my friends swears up and down that the patch got pushed back to release date for every one. Reviewers, regular gamers, etc. Does anyone know exactly what is happening with this 20 gb patch?

NH Apache

Banned
Now that Halo 2 is coming back, it would be awesome if we could peek in on some of the old guard from Bungie.

Like Luke and Shishka. Good times.

this confuses me - are they going to start their swag celebration at 10pm or start giving out copies of the game at 10pm?

Launch party starts at 10, game is handed out at midnight. I asked the guy at my MS store to do a tournament for the prizes, but I doubt it will happen.

FyreWulff

I'm really excited for people who never got to play Halo 2 online. It's crazy to think that there are people who post in here who never played a match of CTF on Zanzibar over xbox live

Or played Assault on Headlong

Or played Assault on Headlong's skybox

Sephzilla

Launch party starts at 10, game is handed out at midnight. I asked the guy at my MS store to do a tournament for the prizes, but I doubt it will happen.

huh. i wonder if it will be at midnight regardless of time zone (like, would pacific time zone stores release it at 9?)

Tawpgun

Or played Assault on Headlong

Or played Assault on Headlong's skybox

Never forget the longass objective matches due to the contesting system.

This isn't a game of CTF.

This is a game of attrition (to see who will quit first)

In all seriousness I loved that objective games dragged out if the other team could contest.

Sudden Death in Reach and 4 was shit.

Akai__

Just confirmed: MCC is playable in English from a German disc. Preordered my copy immediately :)

So, if every localization is on the disk wouldn't that be a waste of disk space? I mean a localization can take up some space, right?

We need DLC localizations, in my opinion.

Somebody inform Blue Ninja btw. He'll be happy about that.

huh. i wonder if it will be at midnight regardless of time zone (like, would pacific time zone stores release it at 9?)

I have no idea on that lol. I live on the east coast, and the mall my Microsoft Store is in can't do midnight launches because of construction. So my "launch" party is at 6PM on Tuesday.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
If I understand everything correctly, you've got something like 48 matches at ~50 minutes apiece. And rather than the MAXIMUM amount of time (which could be infinite for all we know), I'm going to tell you the minimum.

So we've got 48 * 50 = 2400 minutes. 2400 minutes / 60 minutes = 40 hours.

Granted this is your total time, and when matches are going on at the same time, this is compacted the number of rounds.

EDIT: RIP Croatia. Also, if you're assuming everyone starts on time (never), everyone finishes on time (never), all the equivalent rounds in both brackets occur simultaneously, AND that the two brackets are both running at the same time, then you just multiply 50 mins * the number of rounds. So about 50*8 = 400 minutes or just shy of 7 hours. This doesn't count any break time or technical difficulties or anything extraneous.
Yeah, that's about what I figured. This is by far the biggest pain in the ass with planning the tournament.

Top Bottom