• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Good god so many people with early copies!

Who's ass do I have to kiss to get one? Seriously, because I will pucker right up.

Been a Halo fan since 2001 and have been doing exhausting research to have a full achievement walkthrough for all 450 achievements for this game up within a week of launch, and yet here I am lurking these boards instead of playing this beautiful collection.

Ugh...

Edit: I suppose lurking isn't appropriate since I'm actually posting here but I think you get what I mean.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
In the last week or two before Halo 3 came out there was a rumor that 7-11 stores were selling copies of the game early. They had just started experimenting with selling games, and they weren't too strict on street dates, or so the rumor went. I made a daily routine of checking the same six stores every day for at least a week. Never got lucky, but it was fun to channel my hype into a wild [mon]goose chase, lol. I was so insanely hyped for Halo 2 and 3. I don't think anything will ever surpass that, especially now that I intentionally try to avoid the hype train for most games.

Spades

Arrrgh! Damn you retail copy! I got it as part of the GAME bundle but no idea of it will be a code or a boxed copy.

The good news is that as the game installs, you can play some campaign missions. When you load up the game as it's installing, it does a very good visual job of telling you how far along each campaign is progressing from the install and which missions are available to play straight away.

Raide

The good news is that as the game installs, you can play some campaign missions. When you load up the game as it's installing, it does a very good visual job of telling you how far along each campaign is progressing from the install and which missions are available to play straight away.

Thats handy. At least something tells me how long I have to wait. Hopefully GAME send it the day before so I can get it installed and ready.

Not saying this is a good idea..but you could always buy the digital preorder, and then contact Xbox support and ask them to refund you. That way you'll have it installed, but have no licence to play it. Then when you insert the disc, the install will already be there...

Xbox support refunded my digital preorder without issue.

Could someone that has the game already please confirm whether the infinite cloak glitch still works on Halo 2?

It is my understanding that picking up the skulls within the campaign no longer activates their effect, which was how you did the glitch on OG Halo 2.

Now that you activate them from the menu, I'm thinking Menu > Activate Envy skull. Start a level as Master Chief (Cairo Station works fine). Activate cloak right before a checkpoint. Revert to last checkpoint to see if you're cloaked at the checkpoint. If so, click 'save and quit'. Then dashboard out of the game and close it (menu > quit).

Relaunch game and select 'resume game' and see if you're perma-cloaked.

This is something the achievement hunting community would be very interested to know as it effects the difficulty on getting IWHBYD as well as the difficulty for Return to Megg easter egg in Halo 2 (not to mention making 'speed runs' infinitely easier for those who can't do legendary very well). I woulda tested it myself days ago if I were one of the lucky few (many) that have early copies.

Just confirming this glitch shouldn't violate any NDA I wouldn't think since you're not talking about content.

Akai__

Is there an active downloads tab on the Xbox One? How can I know if it's even installing the update?

I still don't like the UI at all. :/

It seems like the only way to play multiplayer right now is in a private match. You cannot find any public games.

Private matches are the best. I only wish XBL supported 16-player party chat instead of 8 now so that when playing customs 8v8 we could have everyone trash talking in the same chat. Would ALMOST be like having a LAN night.

As it is, I'm most looking forward to 3v3 or 4v4 with everyone in the same party chat in customs.

Also does your post mean you have the game early? If so could you check the glitch I mentioned a couple posts up?

Spades

One thing I confirmed last night whilst playing was that level achievements are disabled when using the Scarab skull on H2A.

RowdyReverb

Just checked this morning and my install size is 59.5 GB. Looks like the patch installed flawlessly on standby while I slept. Dat next gen magic

Akai__

One thing I confirmed last night whilst playing was that level achievements are disabled when using the Scarab skull on H2A.

Except for LASO right? Because LASO.

I don't know, if I'll invest time to do the campaigns in under 3 hours. This requires more than just playing. You need to watch speedruns, learn some tricks and then perform well. Even RNG needs to be good, if there is any.

JonCha

My time will be in early December. Why must gaming be so expensive!?

Yeah, kinda in the same boat. I could buy it right now no problem, but I have Sunset Overdrive and there's still so much to do that buying The MCC now would make the bundle I bought with Overdrive feel kind of a waste.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
In the last week or two before Halo 3 came out there was a rumor that 7-11 stores were selling copies of the game early. They had just started experimenting with selling games, and they weren't too strict on street dates, or so the rumor went. I made a daily routine of checking the same six stores every day for at least a week. Never got lucky, but it was fun to channel my hype into a wild [mon]goose chase, lol. I was so insanely hyped for Halo 2 and 3. I don't think anything will ever surpass that, especially now that I intentionally try to avoid the hype train for most games.

I did the same thing and never got lucky with Halo 3. I did get ODST, Reach, and Halo 4 early though. Doesn't look like I will be getting this one early though. Sucks.

Question about the leaked Halo 5 bit from Halo 2A below.
Spoilers follow:
Okay, so in that cutscene you can clearly see that Locke is accompanied by three other Spartans: Green, Pink, and Red. What if one of them is Palmer? Would this be particularly upsetting to anyone?

I'm leaning toward
Fred/Linda/Kelly
myself.

Ein Bear

Booooo, Tuesday is a sucky day for games to release on. They normally come out on Fridays over here... Could have played Halo all weekend :(

Same.
Kinda hoping they kill her off in Escalations.

I'd be pretty happy if they straight-up wiped out all the Spartan IVs. The IIs are the interesting, cool ones... IVs are boring army guys.

dc89

I wonder if you guys can help me.

The other day in a Halo related thread someone linked a video, a kind of Making of Halo thingy which was done by 343i, and it showed Steve Jobs presenting Halo at MacWorld and stuff. The bit I'm interested in is how they explain how they came up with the music.

Not a lot of detail I know :(

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
I'd be pretty happy if they straight-up wiped out all the Spartan IVs. The IIs are the interesting, cool ones... IVs are boring army guys.
Unfortunately we all know that's never gonna happen,
cause 343 wouldn't have came up with them and then made so many only to kill them off.

I'm leaning toward
Fred/Linda/Kelly
myself.

Also my bet.

Eh, I like the IVs. Granted, in and of themselves they're pretty much bog standard (but, then again, so was the Chief in CE if you didn't read Fall of Reach). But I think they've got the potential to be a lot more interesting when you frame them in relation to the IIs and IIIs.

Except for LASO right? Because LASO.

I don't know, if I'll invest time to do the campaigns in under 3 hours. This requires more than just playing. You need to watch speedruns, learn some tricks and then perform well. Even RNG needs to be good, if there is any.

LASO = all ORIGINAL skulls as I understand it. I do not think scarab, bandanna, etc are part of LASO (except for Bandanna in Halo CE:A). We'll know soon enough.

And please for the love of GOAT can anyone with a review copy confirm if the infinite cloak glitch works? Or is this seriously part of the NDA thing too?

Question about the leaked Halo 5 bit from Halo 2A below.
Spoilers follow:
Okay, so in that cutscene you can clearly see that Locke is accompanied by three other Spartans: Green, Pink, and Red. What if one of them is Palmer? Would this be particularly upsetting to anyone?
My guess is that those are your co-op friends appearing in the cutscene.

Fuchsdh

Also my bet.

Eh, I like the IVs. Granted, in and of themselves they're pretty much bog standard (but, then again, so was the Chief in CE if you didn't read Fall of Reach). But I think they've got the potential to be a lot more interesting when you frame them in relation to the IIs and IIIs.

Thorne and Ray are solid characters. Hell even Demarco got a personality and solid end in Escalation.

Spades

I'm going to be streaming lots of MP tonight!

From 8PM to 10PM GMT, I'll be playing in a Custom games session with 343 Industries dudes, on rotating maps from each game.

Hopefully you can join me!

The usual place: http://www.twitch.tv/bloma

t1415304000z0.png

-Ryn

Banned
Almost regret going physical.
Hey bro you gonna be on later today?

I just bought the Xbox one months ago knowing halo would be here eventually. That way it didn't hurt so bad come holiday time.
Unfortunately I didn't expect to move as soon as I did this leaving me without an Xbone to play on (I was going to be using my brothers). Now that I've got a job I'm going to be saving every penny I can to get one in time.

Yeah, kinda in the same boat. I could buy it right now no problem, but I have Sunset Overdrive and there's still so much to do that buying The MCC now would make the bundle I bought with Overdrive feel kind of a waste.
I need some peanut butter.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

From 8PM to 10PM GMT, I'll be playing in a Custom games session with 343 Industries dudes, on rotating maps from each game.

t1415304000z0.png

I guess matchmaking won't work until street date

Just watched a guy from brazil get stuck in an endless "updating playlists" screen

t1415304000z0.png

I should be there for that session too, see you in the lobby I guess.

I will probably also Stream, but Block Mate may end being the better player. :)

twitch.tv/sikamikanico_

Forge is apparently embargoed until the 7th

dunno why

but there you go

I don't think that's true - but I will double check (I was planning on doing a Forge Stream either tonight or tomorrow)

Spades

I guess matchmaking won't work until street date

Just watched a guy from brazil get stuck in an endless "updating playlists" screen

I had the same when I tried to play earlier. Microsoft have said that matchmaking should be working for us (but quiet, obviously), so I'm sure they'll sort that out soon. That guy has broken his embargo, incidentally.

Top Bottom