• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Quite an assumption given that they won't answer that question or even acknowledge that they ported the PC version. Keep in mind that the porting was outsourced to other studios and not actually done by 343i, chances are any sort of game code changes aren't happening.

The Halo PC netcode not being "the best" is a colossal understatement. The game is practically unplayable for any sort of serious play, even on LAN. Have a look for yourself if you want to see how bad it is.

This is why I keep bringing the issue up and making a stink about it.

I understand your concern, but during the IGN stream of Halo 1 MP they said they were still working on the netcode before patch. Not to mention, the games they played looked pretty smooth except for 1 or 2 hiccups.

Impala26

The Halo PC netcode not being "the best" is a colossal understatement. The game is practically unplayable for any sort of serious play, even on LAN. Have a look for yourself if you want to see how bad it is.

Addendum to my salt rant...

This is legitimately the ONLY technical concern I have regarding the MCC, in addition to possibly how co-op performs for each game over Live. Halo PC was my FIRST Halo experience and I greatly acknowledge it was a lag-fest like this. You got accustomed to it after playing for awhile, but it certainly is not ideal.

I understand your concern, but during the IGN stream of Halo 1 MP they said they were still working on the netcode before patch. Not to mention, the games they played looked pretty smooth except for 1 or 2 hiccups.

And it's the sort of thing that could continued to be patched even after release, right?

...RIGHT?

DJ Gunner

Quite an assumption given that they won't answer that question or even acknowledge that they ported the PC version. Keep in mind that the porting was outsourced to other studios and not actually done by 343i, chances are any sort of game code changes aren't happening.

Pretty sure Dan Ayoub said after the E3 reveal that they were working off a modified PC version port. Why you keep insisting that they never told us this is beyond me- it's even been brought up here on multiple occasions.

There's also VIDEO of MCC CE being played online where hit detection appears so good that half of the TB forum were claiming the projectiles had been converted to hitscan (which has since been debunked also, just that leading seems to be at a minimum which indicates- surprise- revised netcode)

Everything you keep banging your drum about has been addressed in one place or another.

Overdoziz

Banned
omg I hope they dont use the halo ce pc netcode for mcc
sun.gif

Woorloog

Banned

I said, "I'd imagine", because it sounds sensible. The code was made to accommodate 56Kbit modems, IIRC. Of course, i don't make a claim that the devs/publisher are sensible.

All i recall is that it was perfectly fine for casual playing when there were no players with pings above 300 or so.

Impala26

I can't say I'll really be surprised if Nightfall turns out to be bad.

Still sounded to me like the Verge folks either aren't into Halo fiction or flat out DISLIKE it to begin with, so I think we can safely assume they're a bit biased. Also, I'm pretty sure that, given they're reviewing only the first episode, it doesn't necessarily dictate how the entire series will go.

(I can't honestly remember much that happened in the first two parts of Forward Unto Dawn for example.)

That said, as much hope I have for it to be good, I am still grounded enough to realize it's more likely to be mediocre to bad than necessarily a "must-see smash hit".

omg I hope they dont use the halo ce pc netcode for mcc

i hope they do, it made the game much harder and challening as you had to know were your opponent will be next rather than just aiming for the head
everyone can lead on the head especially with aim assist, but learning the regular movement pattern and adapt your pre-aim to it puts the game on a whole differernt skill level
it separates the wheat from the chaff and was the reason why 3sk were so hard to do on PC

but 343i already said theyll patch the netcode, and the LAN gameplay we saw yesterday clearly showed that all you need to do is aim straight to the head now :/
besides that pre-aim wouldnt work in the MCC anyhow, so much cross continential matchmaking, you would have to adapt the amount of your pre-aim to each person depending on their ping (in custom games @ P2P)

Sephzilla

Gearbox handled the PC port of Halo right? Halo PC had crappy netcoding?

Go figure, something Gearbox touches instantly has a festering crap tumor attached to it.

antigoon

Still sounded to me like the Verge folks either aren't into Halo fiction or flat out DISLIKE it to begin with, so I think we can safely assume they're a bit biased. Also, I'm pretty sure that, given they're reviewing only the first episode, it doesn't necessarily dictate how the entire series will go.

(I can't honestly remember much that happened in the first two parts of Forward Unto Dawn for example.)

That said, as much hope I have for it to be good, I am still grounded enough to realize it's more likely to be mediocre to bad than necessarily a "must-see smash hit".

I mean, I guess. Some of them were into Halo or at least said they were. But that's kinda beyond the point - a good TV series will make you care about its subject matter.

I just can't wait to see
the Elite terrorist bomber

Impala26

i hope they do, it made the game much harder and challening as you had to know were your opponent will be next rather than just aiming for the head everyone can lead on the head especially with aim assist, but learning the regular movement pattern and adapt your pre-aim to it puts the game on a whole differernt skill level it separates the wheat from the chaff and was the reason why 3sk were so hard to do on PC

but 343i already said theyll patch the netcode, and the LAN gameplay we saw yesterday clearly showed that all you need to do is aim straight to the head now :/
besides that pre-aim wouldnt work in the MCC anyhow, so much cross continential matchmaking, you would have to adapt the amount of your pre-aim to each person depending on their ping (in custom games @ P2P)

926.gif

I played, and ENJOYED Halo PC and I whole-heartedly disagree with you here. I can still recall 16-year old me back in 2003 playing and wistfully hoping that one day Halo PC would play as lag-free as the Xbox version.

Actually, sounds like that day is rapidly approaching... :-D

AlStrong

You *could* crank up the FoV and wind up with a bonkers-looking image with gigantic horizontal view, but I doubt any console dev would go for it.

Like, keep the vertical FOV the same as SP and extend the sides like some sorta multi-monitor FOV on PC? Not sure I'd be opposed to that, especially on a big screen TV. :D It's only a shame they don't use MSAA for classic.

dwells

Pretty sure Dan Ayoub said after the E3 reveal that they were working off a modified PC version port. Why you keep insisting that they never told us this is beyond me- it's even been brought up here on multiple occasions.

There's also VIDEO of MCC CE being played online where hit detection appears so good that half of the TB forum were claiming the projectiles had been converted to hitscan (which has since been debunked also, just that leading seems to be at a minimum which indicates- surprise- revised netcode)

Everything you keep banging your drum about has been addressed in one place or another.

Dan Ayoub also said at launch that all the games were 1080p and locked at 60FPS and "exactly as we remember them," none of which turned out to be entirely true. Also, again, part of my issue is the awful fragmentation and inconsistency of information - we get little quips here and there in different mediums, but there's no official updates or statements.

Obviously we'll be able to tell how the game plays once we have hands on time with it. But like I said, much of my issue has been with how poorly information has been communicated to the fans, especially after having been told that we would be seeing these details nearer to launch.

All i recall is that it was perfectly fine for casual playing when there were no players with pings above 300 or so.
Did you watch the video? Those issues were on LAN, so we're talking single digit ping times even on a messy network. I owned Halo PC as well, and quickly discovered it was all but useless for competitive play. Which would explain why the majority of the servers were flying Warthogs and such.

Poor netcode in 2003?

Unpossible.
The year the game came out is not an excuse for the issues. Before Halo 2, I was an avid PC gamer. Games like Quake 3, CS 1.6, MoHAA, UT2k4, etc. all managed to make very playable games that still hold up.

Sephzilla

Dan Ayoub also said at launch that all the games were 1080p and locked at 60FPS and "exactly as we remember them," none of which turned out to be entirely true. Also, again, part of my issue is the awful fragmentation and inconsistency of information - we get little quips here and there in different mediums, but there's no official updates or statements.

The moment the Halo PC maps where confirmed that should have been all of the confirmation in the world that MCC was using the PC build of CE.

Woorloog

Banned
Did you watch the video? Those issues were on LAN, so we're talking single digit ping times even on a messy network. I owned Halo PC as well, and quickly discovered it was all but useless for competitive play. Which would explain why the majority of the servers were flying Warthogs and such.

No, i didn't watch the video.
I don't recall seeing a flying Warthog, unless you mean physics+lag causing them to fly oddly (and i'm not sure such actually happened).

DJ Gunner

Dan Ayoub also said at launch that all the games were 1080p and locked at 60FPS and "exactly as we remember them," none of which turned out to be entirely true.

Where has anyone ever used the word phrase "locked at 60fps" with regards to this collection. Please link me. I'm almost certain that the "locked" qualifier was never used. If I'm wrong, so be it- however the old games were far from locked at 30fps, so I'm not sure exactly how you can view a doubling of the framerate as a negative (but I continue to be more surprised every day at what people throw shade over, so who knows!)

For some reason my Xbox hasn't downloaded the patch...

Is there anyway to force it to download?

Only option right now is to hard reset the console, you can't force a check.

Even loading up a game isn't an update force check for released retail games, it's rather dumb of microsoft to not allow a check option.

jem0208

Only option right now is to hard reset the console, you can't force a check.

Even loading up a game isn't an update force check for released retail games, it's rather dumb of microsoft to not allow a check option.

Yeah, I'm restarting the console now.

It's definitely something the Xbox team is going to have to add. Surprised they haven't already actually.

Edit: Still not happening...

Sephzilla

With the issues I've seen people have with the preload getting stuck and the patch not always downloading for people, I'm actually kind of glad I went physical even if I'm getting stiffed with that 15 GB patch on day one.

CliQ

All this love for Halo: CE makes me all warm and fuzzy. Seriously though that video on LAN makes me question a little bit about the integrity of the test.

1. His ping was 30 I think. I'm not sure I watched it on my phone.

2. It looks like he modded the game to have a replacit Spartan spawn in and follow the same keyboard commands that he was inputting.

3. If that is true than maybe that had an effect on the test.

Not saying its a bad test but you always want to question things like this.

Plus I'm sure the devs of MCC probably play tested the shit of this before they put their stamp on it.

On a side note I thought I read somewhere that those "hit beeps" are going to be in MCC for Halo: CE. Is this confirmed?

klodeckel

Banned
Yeah, I'm restarting the console now.

It's definitely something the Xbox team is going to have to add. Surprised they haven't already actually.

Edit: Still not happening...

Restart your Xbox (cold). Turn it on. Turn it off again with instant-on and automatic updates enanbled. If you are using an external HDD, make sure to uncheck the "turn external off" option. Wait 15 Min. Turn it on. Now it should download the update.

so ehhh any good games on the xbone?
heard destiny is the tits
Destiny: "more than a game"

Get Sunset of course
Fake stripper tits that look nice in a bikini top, but actually kinda hurt when they're slapped in your face, sure.
Wow, this is uh perfect.

------

Checked this morning, Xbox updated the game overnight. I await my early access code from 314. Will accept via PM, email, SMS message, or Frankie carrier pigeon.

dwells

The moment the Halo PC maps where confirmed that should have been all of the confirmation in the world that MCC was using the PC build of CE.
Why? The modding community had no problems porting Xbox content to PC versions and PC content to Xbox versions (I would know). So surely it's not unreasonable to think that the people with access to the source material, official development tools, raw assets, etc. wouldn't have much of a problem recompiling the maps/tags/whatever to be compliant with whatever tweaked Blam! build they decide to run off of.

No, i didn't watch the video.
I don't recall seeing a flying Warthog, unless you mean physics+lag causing them to fly oddly (and i'm not sure such actually happened).
Skip forward to a minute in or so and watch for thirty seconds. Should get the point across. And I was referring to how many of the servers were hosting various mods rather than actual competitive games.

Where has anyone ever used the word phrase "locked at 60fps" with regards to this collection. Please link me. I'm almost certain that the "locked" qualifier was never used. If I'm wrong, so be it- however the old games were far from locked at 30fps, so I'm not sure exactly how you can view a doubling of the framerate as a negative (but I continue to be more surprised every day at what people throw shade over, so who knows!)
Did they not use the word "locked?" And doesn't announcing the pack as "all at sixty frames a second" imply "locked?" Otherwise anyone can come out have a game that hits 60FPS for all of five seconds when staring at the floor and then call their game 60FPS.

jem0208

Restart your Xbox (cold). Turn it on. Turn it off again with instant-on and automatic updates enanbled. If you are using an external HDD, make sure to uncheck the "turn external off" option. Wait 15 Min. Turn it on. Now it should download the update.

Alright, I didn't bother turning it off and waiting.

Shall do that now...

Did they not use the word "locked?" And doesn't announcing the pack as "all at sixty frames a second" imply "locked?" Otherwise anyone can come out have a game that hits 60FPS for all of five seconds when staring at the floor and then call their game 60FPS.

Pretty much every game advertised at 60fps has drops. It's just a reality of game development.
Still waiting on the update to hit my console.

nJfRH2v.gif

That's exactly what I'm doing, except the coffee is HaloGAF.

Madness

No dedicated servers for custom games? Shit. So much for all those slurpers saying oh, go play customs with the settings you want. I wonder honestly on a cost basis what the difference would have been to allow custom games to use their servers. Instead, you now have the same problem of the past decade with host advantage etc.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I really want Halo to adopt Battlefield's server system. Official servers, rented servers, and a custom server browser. Every time I think about this I get sad that it isn't reality.

Edit: I just realized that system still doesn't allow for private matches, though.

Tawpgun

Game isn't gonna be perfect by any means (no Halo 3 full customization, PC CE, big update)

But I find it hard to get salty about these things when you look at the goddamn value we're getting. And I nitpicked the shit out of Halo 4.

These will likely be put to rest once people download the content update and are playing. One 1080p 60fps 4 shot or sick blainer and you guys will be back to slrp

I really want Halo to adopt Battlefield's server system. Official servers, rented servers, and a custom server browser. Every time I think about this I get sad that it isn't reality.

Edit: I just realized that system still doesn't allow for private matches, though.

yes, i actually want every multiplayer game to go that route

Top Bottom