• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

I had the same when I tried to play earlier. Microsoft have said that matchmaking should be working for us (but quiet, obviously), so I'm sure they'll sort that out soon. That guy has broken his embargo, incidentally.

Ok you're an early copy guy please answer something.

1. Can you do the infinite cloak glitch on Halo 2 still?

2. If you can't answer question 1, please just say that info on glitches is part of the embargo so that I know to stop asking? :)

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I should be there for that session too, see you in the lobby I guess.

I will probably also Stream, but Block Mate may end being the better player. :)

twitch.tv/sikamikanico_

I don't think that's true - but I will double check (I was planning on doing a Forge Stream either tonight or tomorrow)

So you both should get the achievement for killing a developer from 343. So you two are for sure our path to that achievement. You both must play with us gaffers after you get the achievements.

Spades

Ok you're an early copy guy please answer something.

1. Can you do the infinite cloak glitch on Halo 2 still?

2. If you can't answer question 1, please just say that info on glitches is part of the embargo so that I know to stop asking? :)

I've not tried it. But I will and let you know.

dwells

Really disappointing that it's Halo PC that got ported over. Even more disappointing that they've flat out ignored all of our questions about what versions the games were based off of. Same thing with all the questions on the netcode, etc.

I remember a while back I asked if 343i had investigated the impact of the Azure platform on the netcode and if they'd adjusted the netcode accordingly, a question which Frankie deemed "unintentionally hilarious."
Its a perfectly reasonable question but the bolded is unintentionally hilarious. I mean, even if it ended up terribad, do you honestly thinkwe wouldn't have considered it?

We'll talk more about it later in development.
Both the game and the patch are completed and in the hands of reviewers and there's still nothing. What happened to talking more about it?

Same thing regarding questions about other technical aspects of the game like performance, rendering techniques, post-processing, what features from H2 Vista made it over, etc. When asked what the chances were of these details being given to us, Frankie's response was:
much chance
So much for that, either. I feel like it's not asking all that much to know some key details about the game before we buy it.

I hate to/don't mean to single Frankie out specifically, but it's kind of an unfortunate side effect of the fact that he's the only one who seems at all involved with the community on the development process. It's unfortunate that Waypoint isn't like how bungie.net used to be with more in-depth updates about the game and its development. That way we'd have a better resource for information than just forming conjecture off of what little details we get here and there through a forum post or IGN update that turns out to be an old build.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Really disappointing that it's Halo PC that got ported over.

why? it's the obvious choice. it has all the maps. it has all the weapons. the codebase is operable on X1 specs while the Xbox code was optimized entirely for the NV2a. It already had a bunch of networking work done. No point going back to the old codebase when you may get to the same place gearbox did after porting.

uwdanman

Neo Member
Really disappointing that it's Halo PC that got ported over. Even more disappointing that they've flat out ignored all of our questions about what versions the games were based off of. Same thing with all the questions on the netcode, etc.

Both the game and the patch are completed and in the hands of reviewers and there's still nothing. What happened to talking more about it?

Same thing regarding questions about other technical aspects of the game like performance, rendering techniques, post-processing, what features from H2 Vista made it over, etc. When asked what the chances were of these details being given to us, Frankie's response was:

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I just feel like they went black about the game this past month, with various tweets/post posted in a reactive manner (H1 split screen issue) instead of proactively posted. Maybe we were spoiled with Bungie's envelopment updates IDK.

Sure we had IGN showing the game off, but they were showing old builds that left (or generated) more questions in players minds. I get that they are busy with MCC launch and H:5 development, but these are games millions have enjoyed. The player base has legitimate technical questions that we really would like to understand. I really with 343 showed off the game more to fans. Halo 1 now has Live capabilities and they have not share any information on how they made that happen outside of using dedicated servers. IDK about you, but to me, this MCC game is a huge accomplishment, show your own work off and tell us about it! :)

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
why? it's the obvious choice. it has all the maps. it has all the weapons. the codebase is operable on X1 specs while the Xbox code was optimized entirely for the NV2a. It already had a bunch of networking work done. No point going back to the old codebase when you may get to the same place gearbox did after porting.

That's a really good point.

I'm going to be streaming lots of MP tonight!

From 8PM to 10PM GMT, I'll be playing in a Custom games session with 343 Industries dudes, on rotating maps from each game.

Hopefully you can join me!

The usual place: http://www.twitch.tv/bloma

t1415304000z0.png

thanks for doing this, cannot wait!

Impala26

Thanks for a common sense response.

Some much needed water to dilute all the salt around here.

ElRenoRaven

Yup. I think people are going a bit overboard on this. Now do I believe 343 should have just been honest from the beginning and say yes we're using the PC code? Yup I do. It is a bit disingenuous to say it's classic Halo as you know it when they're clearly using PC code. Now that said do I have a problem with them actually using the pc code? Not at all. Like you said it only makes sense from a development point of view. Just be honest about it though.

So people not praising 343 for being solely respoonsible for MCC is salt?

What about those with technical questions with no real answers?

Or those who have valid criticism of gameplay elements or visuals?

All I see is people bitching about salt when lately HaloGaf has been slrp happy.

Ein Bear

Out of curiosity, what exactly was 'wrong' with the PC version of Halo 1? I never played it much myself outside of the demo, how come some people are disappointed by it being the one they used for the MCC?

Woorloog

Banned
Out of curiosity, what exactly was 'wrong' with the PC version of Halo 1? I never played it much myself outside of the demo, how come some people are disappointed by it being the one they used for the MCC?

Back when i played it, it didn't really have anything wrong, beyond it being cropped for widescreen.
Compared to the Xbox version though... apparently it has slower movement speed and some changes to weapons? And the netcode might not have been the best, but i'd imagine it's been modified for Xbone
EDIT In campaign, some oddities: The Jackal shields were all greenish, and the Elites used a lot of Needlers compared to the Xbox version. These don't exist in the Halo Anniversary though.

uwdanman

Neo Member
I didn't play much Halo PC, but from what I know:
*Spawn timers are off and vary per item/map to xbox version (harder to track)
*Some map geometry is different from xbox version (added 2-way portal to sidewinder for example)
*Net code was ported badly and leading requirements were wonky while strafing (see video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNNP9KKpAuo

Strider

So my update is stuck on 100%. Is this the error that people were having with COD that eventually forced them to download the entire game again?

DJ Gunner

The issue is that it did not duplicate exactly the "feel" of CE on an Xbox, as ports on other machines usually feel slightly different. At this point, even if the game played identical to OG on X1 I'm pretty sure someone would bitch about not being able to play on a CRT.

Basically, no one knows what CE on MCC feels like, when people are told they don't believe what they're told, when people see videos they don't believe what they see.

dwells

See below.

All I see is people bitching about salt when lately HaloGaf has been slrp happy.

Thank you. I don't understand the mentality of "being a fan means never criticizing" that some have.

Yup. I think people are going a bit overboard on this. Now do I believe 343 should have just been honest from the beginning and say yes we're using the PC code? Yup I do. It is a bit disingenuous to say it's classic Halo as you know it when they're clearly using PC code. Now that said do I have a problem with them actually using the pc code? Not at all. Like you said it only makes sense from a development point of view. Just be honest about it though.

Yeah, if they had been more transparent about this it would be less of an issue, especially after being told to just hang on and that we'd know more soon. This is a game franchise that's near and dear to a lot of people's hearts, myself included. There's also a decent amount of fans who are fairly well versed in the engine and technical aspects and as such want to know how things are handled in a project that is arguably the biggest thing to happen to Halo.

Damn, that really sucks - especially for the competitive scene. At least this will quiet the folks who respond to complaints about matchmaking gametypes and settings with "oh, just go make a custom game and use Forge."

Impala26

As far as I'm concerned, the MCC package is greatest game deal in the history of video games (at least as far as consoles are concerned), surpasing even Valve's fantastic Orange Box. Am I blinded a bit by 343i due to nostalgia factor? You bet your sweet ass I am... and I couldn't really care less. For God's sake, we get to play Halo 2 on Live once again and Halo CE for the first time on Live EVER! That alone will make me overlook all but the most GLARING of mistakes and omissions here.

The aspects I've seen most consistently complained about here are:

Halo CE has Halo PC textures (oh noes my teleporters!)
FoV (mostly regarding splitscreen)
Armor Sets versus individual pieces
H2A multi in general

The first two are downright nit-picks of the n-th degree. The third isn't ideal but I frankly don't really care because it's purely cosmetics. And the last one... well, if you don't like it, don't play it I guess. 343 seems to be tweaking the H2 sandbox with elements from H3 and H4 so I think that's the best of all worlds personally. I really think this package will go a long way to establish to 343i what the fans enjoy the most by what games, playlists, maps, and gametypes they choose and vote on. Hopefully set a benchmark for Halo 5, but at the worst, everyone will have the Halo game they enjoy the most to play until the end of the Xbox One's life and hopefully longer.

(salt rant over)

dwells

And the netcode might not have been the best, but i'd imagine it's been modified for Xbone

Quite an assumption given that they won't answer that question or even acknowledge that they ported the PC version. Keep in mind that the porting was outsourced to other studios and not actually done by 343i, chances are any sort of game code changes aren't happening.

The Halo PC netcode not being "the best" is a colossal understatement. The game is practically unplayable for any sort of serious play, even on LAN. Have a look for yourself if you want to see how bad it is.

This is why I keep bringing the issue up and making a stink about it.

VinFTW

Quite an assumption given that they won't answer that question or even acknowledge that they ported the PC version. Keep in mind that the porting was outsourced to other studios and not actually done by 343i, chances are any sort of game code changes aren't happening.

The Halo PC netcode not being "the best" is a colossal understatement. The game is practically unplayable for any sort of serious play, even on LAN. Have a look for yourself if you want to see how bad it is.

This is why I keep bringing the issue up and making a stink about it.

Lmao. Oh the irony.

I'm not quite sure how anyone expected dedicated servers for customs. The only feasible and cost effective way would be for Xbox Live users to rent/buy server space. Not even most PC games allow you to just start up a custom game and invite who you want. There would be no way to regulate server load and population.

willow ve

So Halo PC wasn't really playable on LAN? Hilarious if that's true here as well.

Kinda bummed about no custom dedicated servers. Maybe they'll rent servers ala BF4 model down the line?

Top Bottom