• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Still wish 343 would consider button combos for increased skill gap in Halo 5. That's my nerd dream.

Yeah me too. I always wanted an ability that let you cancel any of the trinity(shooting, grenades, melee) into another of the trinity or itself. You would have a meter similar to how many fighting games have and one bar equaled one cancel. You would build meter equal to how much damage you're doing to opponents. Many glitches have become mechanics in fighting games like combos and cross-ups, why can't button combos become a mechanic too?

#31 - Paradiso
#28 - Guardian

pD3EQ.gif

Karl2177

I'm ignorant of the technicalities as to why there's a distinction so maybe fyre or somebody else can explain this? To me, be it MM or customs, it's still a group of players being pitted against another all via internet broadband connections. If you go in MM it chooses a server to host the game but if you click start match in a custom game it chooses a player to host the game. Why?

Server instances are cheap to create, especially with Azure. Not sure why customs aren't Azure'd, unless they plan on adding it in once the massive inflow of launch players subsides.

iMax

How would dedi servers work for customs in the first place? Each lobby gets their own server space?

It's a shame theres no dedi servers or server browser or whatever but its not like we're really losing anything. Just not gaining anything.

We've been playing non dedi customs for years now.

They should let people rent them at least, like Battlefield 4.

Freeser

Top 10 in alphabetical order:

Ascension
Beaver Creek
Blood Gulch
Coagulation
Hang Em High
Ivory Tower
Lockout
Midship
Sidewinder
Zanzibar

Post your list:

Mine:
#1 Midship
#2 Lockout
#3 Blood Gulch
#4 Hang Em High
#5 Ivory Tower
#6 Zanzibar
#7 Coagulation
#8 Ascension
#9 Sidewinder
#10 Beaver Creek

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Top 10 in alphabetical order:

Ascension
Beaver Creek
Blood Gulch
Coagulation
Hang Em High
Ivory Tower
Lockout
Midship
Sidewinder
Zanzibar

Post your list:

Mine:
#1 Midship
#2 Lockout
#3 Blood Gulch
#4 Hang Em High
#5 Ivory Tower
#6 Zanzibar
#7 Coagulation
#8 Ascension
#9 Sidewinder
#10 Beaver Creek

Midship
Midship
Midship
Midship
Midship
Midship
Midship
Midship
Midship
Midship

I'm ignorant of the technicalities as to why there's a distinction so maybe fyre or somebody else can explain this? To me, be it MM or customs, it's still a group of players being pitted against another all via internet broadband connections. If you go in MM it chooses a server to host the game but if you click start match in a custom game it chooses a player to host the game. Why?

It's all about efficiency.

They spin up a server of fixed specs no matter what the player count of the game instance is.
In matchmaking, you're guaranteed to have x amount of players per server.
In BTB, 16 players are sharing one server. In Team Slayer, 8 players are sharing one server.

In custom games, it could be down to 1 person per server.
The amount of servers required scales at a much higher rate.
Hopefully they'll support it after the launch wave.

jem0208

Post your list:

Mine:
#1 Midship
#2 Lockout
#3 Blood Gulch
#4 Hang Em High
#5 Ivory Tower
#6 Zanzibar
#7 Coagulation
#8 Ascension
#9 Sidewinder
#10 Beaver Creek

Out of those ten?

#10 - Sidewinder
#9 - Ivory Tower
#8 - Hang Em High
#7 - Midship
#6 - Ascension
#5 - Coagulation
#4 - Blood Gulch
#3 - Lockout
#2 - Beaver Creek
#1 - Zanzibar (although I played Last Resort far more so I'd actually put that here...)

Server instances are cheap to create, especially with Azure. Not sure why customs aren't Azure'd, unless they plan on adding it in once the massive inflow of launch players subsides.

Fingers crossed

It's all about efficiency.

They spin up a server of fixed specs no matter what the player count of the game instance is.
In matchmaking, you're guaranteed to have x amount of players per server.
In BTB, 16 players are sharing one server. In Team Slayer, 8 players are sharing one server.

In custom games, it could be down to 1 person per server.
The amount of servers required scales at a much higher rate.
Hopefully they'll support it after the launch wave.

Thanks

Madness

Fingers crossed

Thanks

I doubt they'd allow dedicated servers later on when the push for Halo 5 begins as opposed to now. It's probably just low priority for them. I just don't see it happening 6 months down the line, if they don't happen now. They would probably also rather you move onto H5.

No dedicated servers all but guarantees I won't play Halo 3 custom matches much. Will stick to matchmaking only.

Mix

Complex at 23? have any of these people played Halo before?

The worst part is, there are people who swear by IGN, they see this list and say, "I completely agree with you!"

Sephzilla

Post your list:

Mine:
#1 Midship
#2 Lockout
#3 Blood Gulch
#4 Hang Em High
#5 Ivory Tower
#6 Zanzibar
#7 Coagulation
#8 Ascension
#9 Sidewinder