• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Sephzilla

I really want Halo to adopt Battlefield's server system. Official servers, rented servers, and a custom server browser. Every time I think about this I get sad that it isn't reality.

Edit: I just realized that system still doesn't allow for private matches, though.

I actually hated when console Battlefield went this route :/

HTupolev

Like, keep the vertical FOV the same as SP and extend the sides like some sorta multi-monitor FOV on PC? Not sure I'd be opposed to that, especially on a big screen TV. :D It's only a shame they don't use MSAA for classic.
I was talking about the 8:9 window that would correspond to left-right split; I meant "gigantic vertical view" but typed the wrong thing. That is, hold horizontal FoV at something respectable and expand vertical to something unusually large.

I'd be surprised if any console dev would go for that, which I suspect is why Halo 2's left-right split wound up so garbage in the first place.

So that gameguypgh violated his NDA? I wondered if he was sharing too much stuff before launch. All the Forge spaces, the armor customization etc.

Edit: Asking because his channel is now closed.

Yeah, I feel bad for him. He clearly got caught up and confused on the specificness of the NDA, thinking MP walkthroughs were allowed with no competitive action. At the very least, he didn't show something that hasn't been seen before, haha.

So they copy and pasted that map from Halo 4 that no one ever forged on?

That's nice.

I mean, it's a big open pallet, with new/different Forge pieces.. but I am bummed that the skybox isn't new.

Didn't notice this before:

New Halo 5 promo image.

Bigger version:

31JraQ0.jpg

Well, it's been alright for 10 years, so we're not exactly missing out.

But it hasn't been alright for ten years, not by any stretch of the imagination. P2P networking has a cornucopia of game ruining issues which have plagued Halo for a decade. XBL has a curious habit of giving players with the worst connection host, ensuring yellow bar fun times for all of the players in that game. If the game recognises said bad host, a black screen host switch occurs which resets all of the weapons and powerups on the map (which scrambles their spawn times) and switches red teams spawns with blue.

It wouldn't be of such importance if this was a singularly focused Halo game instead of a decade and a half spanning, five different engine, hundred map behemoth of a collection. There's not a playlist manager on the planet that could please the breadth of tastes and playstyle preferences that exist across five versions of Halo and is the reason Frankie has so routinely used the custom game clause as masking tape to the forum mouth moaning of smg starts or radar being on or a lack of a 2v2 playlist or whether falling icicles of doom are on or off. Custom games are going to be bigger in this collection than any previous Halo release; CE CTF matches are already being scheduled on here and Kittens is organising a tournament. It is of genuine disappointment that custom game players will only get half of the Vegas banner headline feature set '60 FPS on Dedicated Servers'.

Madness

Kinda curious to know what the technical issue is.

Probably just time/money. It's probably low on their list of priorities. I'm curious myself though, if they've fully modeled all the armors and they're available in game, what the issue is with mixing and matching.

No dedicated servers for custom games? Shit. So much for all those slurpers saying oh, go play customs with the settings you want. I wonder honestly on a cost basis what the difference would have been to allow custom games to use their servers. Instead, you now have the same problem of the past decade with host advantage etc.
Yeah, those Cat n Mouse games where the host wins are serious bullshit. Fuck you, 343.

singhr1

Halo 2A and 3 are literally locked 60 fps. There is maybe one frame drop in either of those two games based on the Digital Foundry footage. Halo CE:A and 4 have multiple frame drops with 4 being a little worse dropping to ~50 once in a while.

Woot! Just finished updating, turned console on this morning and it was already at 99% done.

jem0208

Well I just had a massive scare.

My Xbox wouldn't turn on. Switched it on and off at the wall and it seems to be working now. Hopefully that didn't fuck up the MCC download :S

Tawpgun

How would dedi servers work for customs in the first place? Each lobby gets their own server space?

It's a shame theres no dedi servers or server browser or whatever but its not like we're really losing anything. Just not gaining anything.

We've been playing non dedi customs for years now.

yodandy

Question: I'm planning on waiting to see if any physical copies of MCC have great deals before next week, if not i'll probably go digital BUT: If I get physical, when I do an 'install' or whatever, do I essentially get the same functionality as the pre-loaders? Like is there a way for physical copies to be forever installed for easy access on my console without disc swapping?

EDIT: question answered elsewhere:

Disc vs digital is the same. Game is still installed to console.

The real difference is in DRM.

A disc based install does NOT install a license to the console. So when the game starts it will require the disc in the drive.

A digital install does install a license to the console, so no disc required.

Basically, on game launch DRM check is:
1) Does a console license exist? If yes, start game, if no goto 2)
2) Does an account license exist? If yes, start game, if no goto 3)
3) Is the game disc in the drive? If yes, start game, if no goto 4)
4) Display message asking user to purchase the game.

Got it, that's the answer I needed. Digital for me.

AlStrong

I was talking about the 8:9 window that would correspond to left-right split; I meant "gigantic vertical view" but typed the wrong thing. That is, hold horizontal FoV at something respectable and expand vertical to something unusually large.

Ah ok. Makes sense now.

I'd be surprised if any console dev would go for that, which I suspect is why Halo 2's left-right split wound up so garbage in the first place.

Dat tunnel vision.

AlStrong

what the issue is with mixing and matching.

Yeah, it just seems odd that you'd be able to pick armour sets in the first place. Maybe the way it was originally coded was in fact "sets-only" and Bungie added a separate branch of code (awful & messy) to allow mixing later in development.

Otherwise, you'd think they should be applying the armour piece by piece and they would just have certain groupings to make a set i.e. no reason to be "sets-only".

Freeser

Has anyone confirmed/denied from the streams that superjumps are working/broken in H2 classic MP with the resolution changes?

Welfare

So wait, the one opportunity 343 had to allow us a city map for forge customization, they waste a spot on a map we will have in Halo 4? WOW.

jem0208

So wait, the one opportunity 343 had to allow us a city map for forge customization, they waste a spot on a map we will have in Halo 4? WOW.

It's just a skybox, and a seriously cool skybox at that.

I'd rather have the Nebula skybox than some boring city skybox.

Madness

Having a space skybox is always cool. I'd have rather wanted a full terminal remake in the game though, just to see how they could make the inner city space, another large map.

The more spaces the better for forge though. Boardwalk wasn't that good of a map, but I really liked the atmosphere of it in Reach. But we'll see it in H5 mostly, some New Phoenix or city settings. We know a Skyline type map is coming though.

How would dedi servers work for customs in the first place? Each lobby gets their own server space?

It's a shame theres no dedi servers or server browser or whatever but its not like we're really losing anything. Just not gaining anything.

We've been playing non dedi customs for years now.

I'm ignorant of the technicalities as to why there's a distinction so maybe fyre or somebody else can explain this? To me, be it MM or customs, it's still a group of players being pitted against another all via internet broadband connections. If you go in MM it chooses a server to host the game but if you click start match in a custom game it chooses a player to host the game. Why?

I mean, there's eleven dedicated playlists in the MCC. Four of those are six map H2:A exclusive (one of those maps is Ascension :)))))). If you want to get a BTB game going you might end up playing Infinity Ragnorok. If you only want to play Halo 2 or 3 you're restricted to single playlists which bundle slayer and objective together on who knows what maps with who knows what weapon starts and flag return times, shield door variants etc. I think people are going to be playing a lot more custom games than they might have considered and I think it's very unfortunate that a headline feature like dedicated servers will not be an option in that space.

A lot of posters seem more bothered about mixing their Mk VI mini skirt with their Hayabusa push up bra rather than the stability and consistency of their online matches.

Top Bottom