• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Ein Bear

I don't see how the scoping is different from classic scoping?

Well in my mind, them giving scoping to every weapon, along with switching the controller input for it over to the priority left trigger, definitely implies that the mechanic is considered more important in Halo 5.

I'm not going to freak out until I've played it myself, but am definitely wary.

The Vidoc does a good job of selling it, I must say.

It does ultimately feel like it might another Halo 4 esc faster and more aggressive TS experiencryption than Halo 3 was.

The announcer and audiovisual cacophony are what immediately top my list of things to be improved.

Cow

Really disappointed by Halo 5. Sprint needs to go, Midship looks so drawn out. It just reminded me so much of a Reach/Halo 4 style map with wide walk ways and large spaces.

Hopped on MCC and played some customs with friends and breathed a sigh of relief at how good it was. Shame about MM but oh well it'll be fixed soon enough. Just further emphasised to me how unnecessary sprint is.

But damn, Halo 5... looks so bad hahaha it doesn't even look like Halo. I'm fine with the thruster and aim down sights. Everything else should be cut, they literally made all the jumps a little bit higher just so you have to ledge grab... completely pointless. There's no way I'm buying that if the final game resembles anything like it.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Halo 5 is going to be god awful...

No, I don't need to wait until I play it to know that. These changes are terrible and have no place in Halo.

Unless virtually all of them die the moment the beta does, Halo 5 will tank just like Halo 4...

No, I don't need to wait until I play it to know that. These changes are terrible and have no place in Halo.

Unless virtually all of them die the moment the beta does, Halo 5 will tank just like Halo 4...

C'mon Son.

Halo 5 looks genuinely fun, Sick of people crying over something they haven't even played. The combat looks tight and fast, the thrusters are a relatively small change, sprint isn't leaving the series but now it has drawbacks, Thruster pack worked fine in Halo 4, Groundpound seems OP but that is what the Beta is for and ADS doesn't carry the weight traditional ADS does and seems to only be a feature on select weapons. It's not game breaking it's just a scope under another name here.

I genuinely think some people just want to be pissed at Halo because it's the "in thing" to be a hypercritical salty mother fucker about everything

The Beta is a year from release for a reason, If this shit is broken and the game isn't fun it's going to be removed.

Cow

C'mon Son.

Game looks incredibly bad. I was watching it and I was just trying to find a way to love it I really was... everything I saw when they first showed it I laughed at. I'm sorry but that just isn't a game I want to play. Didn't seem next gen at all to me, just gimmicky.

Madness

Eh, at least we can let our voices be heard in the beta. But I'm expecting the worst, but hoping for the best.

Pop

C'mon Son.

Halo 5 looks genuinely fun, Sick of people crying over something they haven't even played. The combat looks tight and fast, the thrusters are a relatively small change, sprint isn't leaving the series but now it has drawbacks, Thruster pack worked fine in Halo 4, Groundpound seems OP but that is what the Beta is for and ADS doesn't carry the weight traditional ADS does and seems to only be a feature on select weapons. It's not game breaking it's just a scope under another name here.

I genuinely think some people just want to be pissed at Halo because it's the "in thing" to be a hypercritical salty mother fucker about everything

The Beta is a year from release for a reason, If this shit is broken and the game isn't fun it's going to be removed.

Also you get descoped on every hit.

I thought the beta footage looked amazing. I'm one of those that hated Reach and H4, quit playing within a month of release. The beta looked balanced and with even starts. The base speed could be increased a little though. The trade off for using sprint seems fair. Spartan abilities seem very basic and not something that can be abused. Hell half of them won't even be used in competitive matches, just because the mechanic of some would cause people to be out of position.

Booshka

I am really surprised that HaloGAF doesn't think that the Ironsights taking up a bunch of your screen is not a big deal. It has a severe impact on your overall awareness and ability to see the map. There is no benefit to it over a Scope, which doesn't fill up your screen with shit you're not shooting at.

It's cosmetic ADS, and that visual only mechanic is terrible for Halo gameplay.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Eh, what's the use. Seems people are back to that pre-Halo 4 mode. "Wait till you play", "You can't criticize something until you've played", "it looks like it'll work fine". I think it'll be even worse than Halo 4 because then, Xbox 360 was solidly dominant in North America. Whereas now, Xbox One is severely behind PS4 in all countries. There is no 100 million install base. There will be a lot less sales for sure.

At least we can let our voices be heard in the beta. But I'm expecting the worst, but hoping for the best.

Wait until you see it.

Wait until you play it.

Wait until they fix it.

Wait until they replace it.

Every... damn... time...

I'm sorry, I don't give blind faith where it isn't deserved.

Madness

So I got home at 10pm PST with my game. And now at 1:10 AM PST did it finally install and I can try the matchmaking. Ridiculous. I hope a future update makes disc installs voluntary. At least let me play the fucking game and install it later on during the time I am sleeping. I'm dead tired but still have to get some games in.

Wait, is this an alternate Midship?

animation1llsha.gif

Looks like it?

dwells

Just played my first game of Halo in ages - BR FFA on Warlord. First place with an overkill and killing frenzy, next best player at 12 kills.

The Dongening begins. Get in line, BKs.

#meback

daedalius

Played 1 game of H5. Not sure I want to say much about it until I get more time with it. I wasn't a fan of scoping, but the abilities seemed interesting. Movement and animations really sold on the concept of a hulking Spartan, which I thought was neat.

Overall there are some interesting mechanics and ideas at play and some things that I feel uneasy about. I might share more when I've had some time to think about it.

This may also be the first Halo event that I've been to where game mode is enabled on the TVs - thanks Tash.

Share it with us first :p

Dear Developers and Publishers,

Now is the time. You have a contingent of traditional Halo fans without a modern version of the competitive multiplayer game they want to play. The blueprints are already drawn. Make it look smart, make it play tight, keep the rules simple, and support the hell out of it. Microsoft has dropped the ball, and it's there for anyone to pick it up.

If you build it, they will come.

Regards,

A Former Halo Fan
A Former Simpsons Fan
A Former Star Trek Fan

P.S. Sorry to 343 Industries; you're good people and I wish you good luck. :_(

rrc1594

Now is the time. You have a contingent of traditional Halo fans without a modern version of the competitive multiplayer game they want to play. The blueprints are already drawn. Make it look smart, make it play tight, keep the rules simple, and support the hell out of it. Microsoft has dropped the ball, and it's there for anyone to pick it up.

Regards,

A Former Halo Fan
A Former Simpsons Fan
A Former Star Trek Fan

LMAO why post this in HaloGaf doe?

Fine with me. Guardian is GOAT.

FTFY

daedalius

Regards,

A Former Halo Fan
A Former Simpsons Fan
A Former Star Trek Fan

But H2A

Madness

Only the disc just installed now. The patch still hasn't been installed. Wtf is this. How could they think this was alright on launch?

Random17

Regards,

A Former Halo Fan
A Former Simpsons Fan
A Former Star Trek Fan

Have you not played Halo 2 Anniversary?

I'm not completely sold on Halo 5 yet. Seeing that smart scope on an AR made me die a little inside.

But the game looked fun. I'm excited to try the beta. Just wish they'd picked a better time than during my goddamn midterms. :lol

Random17

If I get it for Christmas. I've played all those games already. A lot. A whole lot.

That raises the question; what progression in Halo are you guys looking for? What game mechanics can 343i add to improve the experience? And no, I'm not talking about simple things like increasing base movement speed.

I get it that you've played Halo 2 a lot. Most of us have. But when you guys are opposed to vast majority of changes that both Bungie and 343i have implemented and want classic Halo, why isn't an uprezzed Halo 2 simulator good enough?

BradC00

played my 1st ranked match. took like 10 minutes to find a game. we won and then it kicked me to the menu....think ill just do some legendary h2 for now D:

Booshka

That raises the question; what progression in Halo are you guys looking for? What game mechanics can 343i add to improve the experience? And no, I'm not talking about simple things like increasing base movement speed.

I get it that you've played Halo 2 a lot. Most of us have. But when you guys are opposed to vast majority of changes that both Bungie and 343i have implemented and want classic Halo, why isn't an uprezzed Halo 2 simulator good enough?

All I really want is Shooting Skill back, game has been stupid easy to shoot in since Halo 2 came out. More of a medium paced Quake style game with quicker base movement speed, teleporters, having to rotate around the map for powerups and powerweapons. Better strafe, maybe some more interesting jumping and movement mechanics, that don't take the gun out of my hand of course. Simpler more balanced weapon sandbox would be nice too.

The only thing's I'm currently pretty unhappy about are the weapon indicators/spawn timers, the ground pound (which just reminds me too much of Destiny's supers) and the scope on weapons like the AR and SMG. The rest, with all the added mobility, looks pretty great, and is what I wanted from a new Halo game.

Random17

All I really want is Shooting Skill back, game has been stupid easy to shoot in since Halo 2 came out. More of a medium paced Quake style game with quicker base movement speed, teleporters, having to rotate around the map for powerups and powerweapons. Better strafe, maybe some more interesting jumping and movement mechanics, that don't take the gun out of my hand of course. Simpler more balanced weapon sandbox would be nice too.

What would you need to change in Halo 5 to reach the bare minimum requirements that you just stipulated?

Madness

What a fucking miserable experience tonight was, fucking amateur hour, Christ.

Haha, my disc install just finished. Patch still nowhere close to done. Just watching Neighbor stream MCC until then. Probably one of the worst launch nights I've had since Gears of War 2.

Booshka

What would you need to change in Halo 5 to reach the bare minimum requirements that you just stipulated?

No sprint, no ADS, better FoV (80+ pls), faster base movement speed/strafe, smaller gun models. Aim Assist on Rifle type weapons that is closer to Halo CE's aim assist mechanics, so I don't have to zoom all the fucking time. No Ground pound, charge, slide, clambering on ledges, thrusters don't disable your gun temporarily and can be used to slightly boost jump. Crouch jumping to clear obstacles and make jumps, as well as allowing you to apply it to your strafe and mid fight evasion tactics. No lunge on melees, screen shouldn't be so busy with information and clutter.

Probably more, but that's all for now.

I played 1 game of H2A Team Slayer, 1 game of H2A Big Team Battle, 1 of Halo 3 Big Team Battle, and 1 of Halo 1 Big Team Battle. When this thing works, its glorious, I cant wait till they make the matchmaking good!

The only thing's I'm currently pretty unhappy about are the weapon indicators/spawn timers, the ground pound (which just reminds me too much of Destiny's supers) and the scope on weapons like the AR and SMG. The rest, with all the added mobility, looks pretty great, and is what I wanted from a new Halo game.

This about sums up my thoughts,

Random17

No sprint, no ADS, better FoV (80+ pls), faster base movement speed/strafe, smaller gun models. Aim Assist on Rifle type weapons that is closer to Halo CE's aim assist mechanics, so I don't have to zoom all the fucking time. No Ground pound, charge, slide, clambering on ledges, thrusters don't disable your gun temporarily and can be used to slightly boost jump. Crouch jumping to clear obstacles and make jumps, as well as allowing you to apply it to your strafe and mid fight evasion tactics. No lunge on melees, screen shouldn't be so busy with information and clutter.

TLDR: The only new mechanic you like are the thrusters?

Is there any major feature they can add (from another game or otherwise) on top of your list?

I see a developer wanting to change Halo not because the old Halo is bad per se; but because every new release from the players' and the reviewer's perspective requires new ideas to justify the $60. I don't completely agree with that philosophy but that is the nature of the industry and it will not change. It's something we will have to get used to.

I'm basically trying to see what you guys have in mind in terms of additional game mechanics. If a solid and realistic proposal is given a year is plenty of time for 343i to implement it.

Future

Curious why you wouldn't want thrusters to disable your gun. Aren't you afraid of constant burst shootouts?

Top Bottom