• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

matthieuC

L1znrzQ.jpg

kg6ZPum.jpg

I think those little logos in the top right mean clans.

EvB

Default Halo 5 controls have "Smart Scope" on the left trigger.
Going full COD controls with the ADS.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=138322441&postcount=111

So is it a toggle then like past Halo games? If you click and hold the trigger does it only stay zoomed in as long as you hold the trigger?

So many questions about Smart Scope (mainly : who wanted this?)

It immediately makes the game pick up and play to someone who is coming off any other FPS game.

For people that play Halo, they can go to the options and change it to how they like, it's not a problem is it.
As somebody that yearns for the golden days of xbox live, I like the fact they are trying to encourage a new generation in to play.

Impala26

Goooooood morning HaloGAF!!!

Just skimmed through the last few pages. Am I still in need of additional sodium intake or have things generally settled down around here?

(I'm feeling more the latter right now, surprisingly)

Mix

Halo 5:G Speculation:

Just thought about this, but what if Locke and the other spartans in the intro and outro Halo 2A cutscenes are on a team and they're called like Spartan Guardians or ONI Guardians or maybe it's the team name, you know like Fire Team Guardians? I know it's the least amount of speculation ever but I was thinking about it lol.

Onikaan

Freaking frustration. Games here to play and matchmaking is buggered. Even when I get in the teams are always unequal.

Also, when the game ends it black screens and freezes. Gotta to quit from the dashboard.

The Flash

Banned
Goooooood morning HaloGAF!!!

Just skimmed through the last few pages. Am I still in need of additional sodium intake or have things generally settled down around here?

(I'm feeling more the latter right now, surprisingly)

I think most of HaloGAF is cautiously optimistic. A better result than I was expecting to say the least. A good portion of Gaming side seemed to be on board as well.

AlStrong

Just thought about this, but what if Locke and the other spartans in the intro and outro Halo 2A cutscenes are on a team and they're called like Spartan Guardians or ONI Guardians or maybe it's the team name, you know like Fire Team Guardians? I know it's the least amount of speculation ever but I was thinking about it lol.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry if that turned out to be the case, but I guess I'm just a klingon. :p

VinFTW

I will have a big write up on my thoughts on the beta ViDoc and exhibition pro match whenever I get some free time today.

Overall impressions after sleeping on it: Very good. Some things need to be removed or tweaked, but it has potential to be one of the best Halo's in terms of skill-gap, competitive potential and a blast to WATCH.

Waiting on Stinkles letting me know the best place to put this feedback though, so most of them will see it (will post here as well obvs).

in comic book sense maybe but in the game is sorta cringe worthy. I want to believe it's referring to the forerunners. "Guardians of all that exists".

I think most of HaloGAF is cautiously optimistic. A better result than I was expecting to say the least. A good portion of Gaming side seemed to be on board as well.
I don't know. I feel like the additions ruin too many core aspects of traditional halo. Being able to climb up ledges negates the pleasing feeling of nailing difficult jumps and ruins map design similar to what jetpacks did.

I don't know what purpose ground pound serves. It's like it's just thrown in for the heck of it. Sprint and having iron sights are ewww. Im not sure I like thrusters either. People mentioned they thought the gameplay footage of Halo 5 looked slowed down. I think that is mostly due to having all these new abilities to stay out of fire. Traditional halo forces players to attack, commit to attack. There's no, oh whoops I made a mistake - thruster backwards, sprint to the right, climb a ledge and hide.

Is it too much to ask to go back just one time to a halo 1 through 3 model? Reach, 4, and now 5... I think I'll be playing TMCC heavily instead.

Didn't even try to fuck with Matchmaking yet, went straight to Halo 3

brehs

brehs

Halo 3 in 60fps/1080p is straight piffery

how did we play this game without 60fps for so long

Impala26

Yeah I see this.

My heart kind of sank when they started up the Twitch stream of Halo Fest last night and the comments section was all:

Nooooooooooooo
RIP in peace Halo
343 ruined it

I'm a really optimistic person, but seeing all this really bummed me out, even knowing it was just salty folks. I know the Halo fanbase is arguably the most difficult to please in all of gaming, but I really wish nothing but continued success for this franchise. You absolutely cannot please EVERYONE, but seeing so much wank about it got to me even though it shouldn't.

That said, from what I saw the multiplayer looked fast and frenetic, but more importantly, looked fun to play. It honestly reminded me of crazy PC FPSs of yore like Quake, Unreal Tournament and Tribes, but with modern accoutrements and flair. But I shant pass further judgment until I get my own hands on it. The best things we have going forward with Halo 5 is that this Beta is out nearly a YEAR before the final release, 343i has pro players on their team there to literally push the game mechanics to their breaking point and it also appears that their soliciting DIRECT feedback from PLAYERS about their Beta experiences.

So there's a good deal of hope going forward I guess. For now though, can we just get a working matchmaking (and Halo CE exclusive playlist) for MCC? :p

I don't know. I feel like the additions ruin too many core aspects of traditional halo. Being able to climb up ledges negates the pleasing feeling of nailing difficult jumps and ruins map design similar to what jetpacks did.

I don't know what purpose ground pound serves. It's like it's just thrown in for the heck of it. Sprint and having iron sights are ewww. Im not sure I like thrusters either. People mentioned they thought the gameplay footage of Halo 5 looked slowed down. I think that is mostly due to having all these new abilities to stay out of fire. Traditional halo forces players to attack, commit to attack. There's no, oh whoops I made a mistake - thruster backwards, sprint to the right, climb a ledge and hide.

Is it too much to ask to go back just one time to a halo 1 through 3 model? Reach, 4, and now 5... I think I'll be playing TMCC heavily instead.

While I understand some of where you're coming from, I simply don't agree with going back to Halo 1-3 model. How many times can you rebuild the same game? I ask this honestly. How many times can you redo and retread the same ground before you've had enough?

willow ve

It immediately makes the game pick up and play to someone who is coming off any other FPS game.

For people that play Halo, they can go to the options and change it to how they like, it's not a problem is it.
As somebody that yearns for the golden days of xbox live, I like the fact they are trying to encourage a new generation in to play.

Every other FPS has a hold left trigger to enable scope. In Halo it's always been a toggle function. So what happens when newcomers hold left trigger, go into scope mode, and then are shot and go out of scope? Do they need to let go of left trigger, then engage it again, to go back to scope?

How do weapons with variable scope work? In past Halo games the Sniper rifle had multiple functions. You could click once for zoom, click again for more magnification, and click a third time to exit scope. You could ALSO click and hold your zoom and as soon as you let go it dropped you back to no zoom.

The whole idea of catering to other players smells a lot like what they tried to do with Halo 4. It ends up creating this odd middle ground that pleases neither side of the potential fanbase. For players who really want ADS (and hold left trigger to zoom) they'll jump back to Battlefield or COD. For players who really want Halo they'll be frustrated that this new mechanic (even though it's "purely an aesthetic flourish") is shoehorned into a franchise that was always loved because it stood apart.

And while we're on the subject - if it's purely an aesthetic flourish can we at least get a toggle? That would have been invaluable data to collect in the beta. How many people disable the "smart scope" and reverted back to traditional Halo HUD view.

While I understand some of where you're coming from, I simply don't agree with going back to Halo 1-3 model. How many times can you rebuild the same game? I ask this honestly. How many times can you redo and retread the same ground before you've had enough?
It's likely a question we'll never know. Halo is weird. Even the first 3 halo games were all completely different from each other. Yet they at least held they same standard movement philosophy, power ups/equipment pickups timed spawns, and weapon sandbox mentality. Reach, 4 and now 5 completely go off in a different direction.

I think the movement part of the newer halos bothers me more than anything else. The previous system worked. Players were familiar with it and even liked it - expected it. Now the way Halo plays it just doesn't feel the same anymore. If I want to be able to sprint, fly around, and climb ledges, I'll play Call of Duty. I'm probably going to pick up Advanced Warfare soon enough. ADS works in that game because that's what it started with and what players that are in to CoD are familiar with. If they switched to a halo model I'd wager most CoD fans would flip their crap. But for some reason it's okay to keep tampering with halo. I just don't get it.

EDIT:
There's my contribution of NaCL for the morning ;)

This.

I couldn't stop smiling while hearing the music in the ViDoc.

I have literally listened to the beginning of the ViDoc +15 times now.

The brass is so dark and oppressive. It legit sounds like a Sith theme. Kaz def took some inspiration from John Williams.

And then the heroic "theme" that plays towards the end of vidoc. I can't.

Music is what got me into Halo with the Halo 2 choir in the menu. Even though Marty is gone, KazJin is doing a fantastic job with the music and I still listen to his Halo 4 contributions on a weekly basis. Can't wait to get my hands on the OST.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Every other FPS has a hold left trigger to enable scope. In Halo it's always been a toggle function. So what happens when newcomers hold left trigger, go into scope mode, and then are shot and go out of scope? Do they need to let go of left trigger, then engage it again, to go back to scope?

How do weapons with variable scope work? In past Halo games the Sniper rifle had multiple functions. You could click once for zoom, click again for more magnification, and click a third time to exit scope. You could ALSO click and hold your zoom and as soon as you let go it dropped you back to no zoom.

The whole idea of catering to other players smells a lot like what they tried to do with Halo 4. It ends up creating this odd middle ground that pleases neither side of the potential fanbase. For players who really want ADS (and hold left trigger to zoom) they'll jump back to Battlefield or COD. For players who really want Halo they'll be frustrated that this new mechanic (even though it's "purely an aesthetic flourish") is shoehorned into a franchise that was always loved because it stood apart.

And while we're on the subject - if it's purely an aesthetic flourish can we at least get a toggle? That would have been invaluable data to collect in the beta. How many people disable the "smart scope" and reverted back to traditional Halo HUD view.

well, that would certainly provide a visual/target acquisition advantage and would be a bad idea IMO.

nillapuddin

Forged til like 630, woke up at 8, jobsite by 9.

Damn, what a launch night. Got to play like 3 MM games, all crashed my box upon completion, love it.

Thank goodness for Forge, so how about I am incredibly disappointed by the lack of cohesion and INCREDIBLE contrast between Building Blocks and (everything else). They just don't look good mixed together.

That aside, the bump in item count and the various end user improvements are awesome. Think I've got my mojo workin again, maybe cool pics tonight when I get basic structure finished.

Anybody make anything cool last night/today?

Booshka

well, that would certainly provide a visual/target acquisition advantage and would be a bad idea IMO.

So nerfing a player's visual awareness is a design choice to cater to the majority of shooter players, who now expect their screens to be filled up with a gun when they shoot.

Halo players that prefer the clean, simple Scope for zoom and the benefits it affords to long range engagements, just have to deal with it.

I really hope this is not the case come Fall next year.

VinFTW

So am I the only one who noticed a significant downgrade in armor models from the ign reveal and yesterday's gameplay? Is it confirmed that they are using placeholder h4 models?

Hoping stinkles could weigh in on this.

I have literally listened to the beginning of the ViDoc +15 times now.

The brass is so dark and oppressive. It legit sounds like a Sith theme. Kaz def took some inspiration from John Williams.

And then the heroic "theme" that plays towards the end of vidoc. I can't.

Music is what got me into Halo with the Halo 2 choir in the menu. Even though Marty is gone, KazJin is doing a fantastic job with the music and I still listen to his Halo 4 contributions on a weekly basis. Can't wait to get my hands on the OST.

You're doing exactly what I do when a new Halo video comes out. I like you.

So am I the only one who noticed a significant downgrade in armor models from the ign reveal and yesterday's gameplay? Is it confirmed that they are using placeholder h4 models?

Hoping stinkles could weigh in on this.

They were definitely H4 placeholder assets in the screens from yesterday, but I'm honestly not sure about the video.

He works directly for ONI somewhow unlike standar spartans who works with the UNSC

Fuchsdh

Forged til like 630, woke up at 8, jobsite by 9.

Damn, what a launch night. Got to play like 3 MM games, all crashed my box upon completion, love it.

Thank goodness for Forge, so how about I am incredibly disappointed by the lack of cohesion and INCREDIBLE contrast between Building Blocks and (everything else). They just don't look good mixed together.

That aside, the bump in item count and the various end user improvements are awesome. Think I've got my mojo workin again, maybe cool pics tonight when I get basic structure finished.

Anybody make anything cool last night/today?

Probably won’t get to Forge until I’ve gone through all the campaigns once. Then I’ll start noodling around and figuring things out.

Forge finally seems expansive enough to pull off “scenario” styled maps so aside from Trenchball that’s what I’m most interested in doing. lus, with all the maps in the game I think competitive-styled maps just won’t have the same currency.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
So nerfing a player's visual awareness is a design choice to cater to the majority of shooter players, who now expect their screens to be filled up with a gun when they shoot.

Halo players that prefer the clean, simple Scope for zoom and the benefits it affords to long range engagements, just have to deal with it.

as i see it, either we get ADS appearance (not gameplay) OR traditional scope. having the option of both would be bad.

That's really the only saving grace we have. Perhaps enough people won't approve of the look and some things get changed. But I don't see why they would scrap all the work they put into the game so far. It was interesting to hear the devs talk about the beta and what they're intentions are with it. Seemed like more of the same - testing server loads, bugs, and what not. The guy didn't even hint that they might be willing to go back and change stuff they've already built into the game like iron sights, the new abilities, and such.

That's really the only saving grace we have. Perhaps enough people won't approve of the look and some things get changed. But I don't see why they would scrap all the work they put into the game so far. It was interesting to hear the devs talk about the beta and what they're intentions are with it. Seemed like more of the same - testing server loads, bugs, and what not. The guy didn't even hint that they might be willing to go back and change stuff they've already built into the game like iron sights, the new abilities, and such.

Really? Everything I've heard suggests that they're looking for substantial gameplay feedback. Why bother to have a standard beta a year out from release?

Omni

Has 343i commented on how broken as fuck matchmaking is right now?

This is ridiculous. How is it not working? Honestly. I don't get it. It's literally half the game.

Top Bottom