• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Omni

Found a terminal on High Charity. Activated it and it played the "welcome to Halo channel" video. Tried pressing it again and it just doesn't work. Why are they forcing us to use that clusterfuck of an app again?

GG

edit. This sounds really bitter. Just all the little bugs and that are irritating me. The whole package honestly feels slapped together sometimes.

Lots of positivity in here this morning I'm happy to see! I thought the Halo 5 beta looked really good. If anyone has a link to the pro match from last night, I'd be grateful.

In other news, attended the London launch event last night.

We had pulled together a little surprise for one of or friends, who's had a rough couple of years. He's got a couple of kids, and the whole family are a bunch of Halo fanatics. This is the first time they didn't have an Xbox due to money issues, so we all chipped in and bought him the console, an extra pad so he can co-op with his youngest, a years Gold subscription and a copy of the game.

We spoke to the MS PR Team before he turned up, and Acey Bongos (UK Major Nelson) and the rest of the team pulled out all the stops, allowing us to make a big announcement. It was a great night, and it was just a very cool thing to do.

Kleggnutt gets a surprise!

Also, I'm short, and The Chief is tall. And Phil Spencer is a pretty cool guy. :)

Source

Man, seems like when my download got to ~80% is just started to move super slow. This is awful. I want to get into Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer already.

TheOddOne

Lots of positivity in here this morning I'm happy to see! I thought the Halo 5 beta looked really good. If anyone has a link to the pro match from last night, I'd be grateful.

We had pulled together a little surprise for one of or friends, who's had a rough couple of years. He's got a couple of kids, and the whole family are a bunch of Halo fanatics. This is the first time they didn't have an Xbox due to money issues, so we all chipped in and bought him the console, an extra pad so he can co-op with his youngest, a years Gold subscription and a copy of the game.

We spoke to the MS PR Team before he turned up, and Acey Bongos (UK Major Nelson) and the rest of the team pulled out all the stops, allowing us to make a big announcement. It was a great night, and it was just a very cool thing to do.

Also, I'm short, and The Chief is tall. And Phil Spencer is a pretty cool guy. :)
You guys are the real MVP's.

That good karma coming your way.

Random17

This is really awesome, you know that?

-Ryn

Banned

That's really kickass dude. Good on ya.

I am lost so someone may need to fill me in, do we not have these "perfect halo" games that people praise so much on xbox one now? I thought the idea was to let 343 experiment with evolution since people who think ce / 2 / 3 etc are the holy grail can play those now. why are people putting such a negative tarp over a beta build of a game a year away, that they haven't played? it just seems like an incredible waste of emotion & time.

I think some people are just far to set in their ways about what "halo" should be & if its not an updated version of CE / 2 or 3 then it gets thrown under the bus.

IMO this game looks nothing like the unbalanced mess 4 was. the only serious issue I see is ground pound which if it is an issue the beta will surely make that obvious. Cosmetic ADS really isnt a huge problem to me either. I also like the added movement options via thruster.

Madness

Anyone know how I can turn the damn music of Halo Channel off? It's playing non stop in the streams or even during Nightfall. Nothing I do stops it.

On a related note, at 2:30am did the patch finally get downloaded and I could have a match. Took ten minutes but I was put into a 3 vs 4 of Halo CE derelict. Took a while to get the hang of the pistol again, but it was great fun. Already got the bite the hand achievement as well. Only thing that is an issue is the spawns on 4v4 Halo CE. Half the time we were just waiting near spawns of people killing each other. Plus we were at a disadvantage of 3 people to 4. Going to bed now, will hopefully have a much better experience in the morning.

-Ryn

Banned
Well now that I've cooled off and have watched the videos more carefully here are my thoughts.

I think the game looks great. The direction they are taking it in feels more like an actual evolution of Halo's core gameplay as opposed to just slapping on a bunch of unneeded shit that adds nothing to gameplay. There are certainly some issues that need to addressed but overall I am happy with where this is going.

Spartan Abilities

• Thruster Pack
    I'm really happy to see the Thruster Pack has returned especially since I think it was one of the things that Halo 4 absolutely nailed. Thruster Pack being default is a major bonus. It seems that they have increased the distance traveled somewhat so I look forward to seeing how that plays. Making it first person this time around was also a good choice I think (though it looks like there may be a toggle for third person). I can't really think of any downsides to this.
  • Sprinting
    While I am happy to see sprint return I would've preferred it not be in the smaller modes like 4v4. Having some abilities tied to it does help but it still feels like it would've just been better to leave it in larger settings where it can have the most use. That said, having shields not recharge while sprinting is a nice way for them to balance it at least and should help to discourage players from spamming it whenever they think things aren't going their way. I really look forward to seeing how the new movement options combined with sprint affect firefights on both smaller and larger scales.
  • Spartan Slide
    To be honest I'm fairly indifferent on this one. I don't think it will really cause any problems and I can see how it will feel cool to run and slide at high speed to dodge a bullet or something. Really a non issue and people shouting about how it's copying Destiny or CoD therefore it's dumb can shove it to be frank.
  • Ground Pound
    This one was actually something that worried me at first. While I think it is a cool idea the fact that it's a one hit kill seems like a potential balance issue. However after seeing gameplay of it, it is a VERY risk vs reward ability. You've gotta be careful when you pull that thing out because you are a floating stationary duck in a room full of sights ready line up on you. The charge time is also fairly long and when you do land you are stationary for a good second which is long enough for another player to beat you across the back of the head. We will have to see how it plays in the beta though.
  • Spartan Charge
    Based on what I've read and seen this ability won't be as much of an issue as I initially thought. It isn't a OHK except maybe in that Breakout gametype and apparently there is a recovery that really leaves you open. I'll have to wait until the beta to really be able to assess it though.
  • Clamber (Climbing)
    Given how quick the animation is for this and that you do need to actually have input for it to work as opposed to just an automatic pull up, I am fine with this. It can increase map flow for sure.
  • Stabilizers
    Apparently these can be turned off which is good because after seeing how they work I don't think I'd really want to use them anyway. I can see their merits though and they have the same risk/reward as the Ground Pound in that you are a bigass target.
  • Smart Scope
    Probably one of the most iffy "additions" for me. I prefer just having a simple scope in animation. Hopefully it can be toggled but if not I can live with it since the mechanics are still the same. I've just never been a fan of rifle but being shoved up my nos- er- helmet. The thing that disappoints me a lot about it though is that since all weapons are affected by it this means the visor scope is gone forever... RIP in peace.

Weapons
The weapons all look and shoot fine from what I've seen. As long as they aren't chock full of aim assist and bullet magnetism.
Only thing I'm worried about is the flinch that seems to happen when you are descoped. I don't like that at all and I really hope it is either toned down a LOT in the beta or straight up removed.

Maps
The Maps were very pretty. There also seems to be a lot of different routes you can take so as to fully utilize the increased mobility we have. Can't wait to see what the larger maps are like.

SOUND DESIGN
This was probably the most noticeable issue for me during the stream. Everything sounds digital from scoping in to firing your own gun. Then there's the CONSTANT beeping that rivals even the most irritating of Nintendo games. It's like having a notification that is taped to a cheese grater grinding up against your ear constantly. I really hope they tone this down and make the effects much more subtle. Speaking of cheese, Steitzer vocal chords seem to have been turned into it based off of his announcing work. I mean holy shit I was laughing at how comedic it sounded.

The in game Spartan chatter seems like a nice way to familiarize new players with callouts but I really hope it can be turned off.

Music
This wasn't really a focus of HaloFest but I gotta say that the music they did play during the ViDoc sounded really great. Especially the bit at the end with the electric guitar. It sounded incredibly cool and I really look forward to seeing what they come up with. Hopefully something involving monks.

Verdict
Overall I was really happy with what I saw today. 343 seem to be doing a lot to try and make a true successor to Halo that feels like a natural progression of the game. They're adding abilities that are a part of the core gameplay and designing everything with these new changes in mind as opposed to just putting on a bunch of stickers. Though there are things like dumb medals and an overactive sound design team which hopefully can and will be changed.

The beta will be a great chance to help fine tune a lot of what 343 are doing and provide feedback on things that do and don't really work well. Halo seems to be moving in a much better direction and I can't wait to try it out for myself. So let's use this opportunity best feed back we can with documents... and maybe some math.

--

Now on another note

rvamMEt.jpg

Lady Spartan spotted

#Weback
?

Watch this first.

and then

This for b-roll footage

edit: and aPK posted a video of the Pro Exhibition, but it isn't done encoding yet for 1080p/60fps link
Goddamn. I mean I already had seen that video but watching it again and just sitting back and enjoying was awesome. I am so hyped for Halo 5. I'll hold off final judgement until I actually play the beta but I am really optimistic. I can't wait.

It loooks like assassination animations in mp were scrapped in H5.
What? Aw that's lame. Where did you hear that?

Just saw that CyReN video showing what Halo 5 is. Does not appeal to me at all. Why would I want to play that? Like I just can't fathom their thinking when deciding that's where they want to take the series.

Just call your next game ONI: guardians. That's Halo in name only. And fucking lol at any of you who think that people who didn't like Reach or Halo 4 will play that. There is a reason very few also play Destiny PvP or why Crysis multiplayer hasn't taken off.

Just my opinion. What do I know. I have MCC to keep me happy I guess.
Looks like a great evolution of Halo's gameplay to me. They aren't just adding a bunch of fluff to the game. They're actually trying to enhance the core gameplay with a lot of this. Which is the best way to do it. It certainly needs work but the direction is a solid one imho.

Eh, what's the use. Seems people are back to that pre-Halo 4 mode. "Wait till you play", "You can't criticize something until you've played", "it looks like it'll work fine". I think it'll be even worse than Halo 4 because then, Xbox 360 was solidly dominant in North America. Whereas now, Xbox One is severely behind PS4 in all countries. There is no 100 million install base. There will be a lot less sales for sure.

At least we can let our voices be heard in the beta. But I'm expecting the worst, but hoping for the best.
Saying wait until you play is perfectly valid in this case though because as you pointed out, we will be able to voice our opinions on the beta and get a feel for how the game plays. It's a year out and if you ultimately don't like it then hey at least you gave it a shot. Yes you don't need to play something to decide whether you like it or not. But I think knowing whether it works well is something else entirely.

I am lost so someone may need to fill me in, do we not have these "perfect halo" games that people praise so much on xbox one now? I thought the idea was to let 343 experiment with evolution since people who think ce / 2 / 3 etc are the holy grail can play those now. why are people putting such a negative tarp over a beta build of a game a year away, that they haven't played? it just seems like an incredible waste of emotion & time.

I think some people are just far to set in their ways about what "halo" should be & if its not an updated version of CE / 2 or 3 then it gets thrown under the bus.

IMO this game looks nothing like the unbalanced mess 4 was. the only serious issue I see is ground pound which if it is an issue the beta will surely make that obvious. Cosmetic ADS really isnt a huge problem to me either. I also like the added movement options via thruster.
HaloGaf gonna HaloGaf

Really though I can understand why some might be miffed. These are some major addtions to the core gameplay that really change up how encounters can be handled. Most seem to be fairly positive about it though so that's good. As you said though we have an updated Halo 2 multiplayer and all the previous multiplayers being brought back to life on next gen. I'd imagine that helps.

Omni

Halo 2 on Heroic: Finished.

Now that was freaking amazing. Art style was fantastic. I was afraid that because they stuck so close to the original that I would be under whelmed. But nope. Those final Arbiter levels in particular were the best I've seen in any Halo game to date.

And those cutscenes. Whoooooa

GG, 343i. Would buy again.

Calling it "cosmetic ADS" seems a little disingenuous imo. It's certainly not scoping like in previous games, but it didn't feel quite CoD like.

imo I don't honestly believe people can talk about it until they have used it in their hands with a controller. Just looking at a video of it does not do it justice. Your mind will just instantly think "cod" or any of the other shooters where the bad version of ADS is used. I know thats what i caught myself thinking a few times.

All I know is 343 better have a bumper jumper control scheme that mirrors what we have in the universal option. I'm sure after a few rounds of scoping & de scoping with the right stick this ads skin wont feel all that different from regular scoping.

Honestly if its such a massive issue, I don't see why 343i wouldn't just add a toggle o_O let those who want scopes use scopes & those who want ADS cosmetic to use that. if they are functionally identical does it really hurt to have a toggle?

This fucking game is the most depressing, broken, half-usable, constantly crashing, unstable, randomly fucked release this year, with the exception of Driveclub.

imo I don't honestly believe people can talk about it until they have used it in their hands with a controller. Just looking at a video of it does not do it justice. Your mind will just instantly think "cod" or any of the other shooters where the bad version of ADS is used. I know thats what i caught myself thinking a few times.

All I know is 343 better have a bumper jumper control scheme that mirrors what we have in the universal option. I'm sure after a few rounds of scoping & de scoping with the right stick this ads skin wont feel all that different from regular scoping.

Honestly if its such a massive issue, I don't see why 343i wouldn't just add a toggle o_O let those who want scopes use scopes & those who want ADS cosmetic to use that. if they are functionally identical does it really hurt to have a toggle?

Well considering he played it at HaloFest tonight, I'd say he's qualified to comment.

willow ve

Well now that I've cooled off and have watched the videos more carefully here are my thoughts.

I think the game looks great. The direction they are taking it in feels more like an actual evolution of Halo's core gameplay as opposed to just slapping on a bunch of unneeded shit that adds nothing to gameplay. There are certainly some issues that need to addressed but overall I am happy with where this is going.

Spartan Abilities

• Thruster Pack
    I'm really happy to see the Thruster Pack has returned especially since I think it was one of the things that Halo 4 absolutely nailed. Thruster Pack being default is a major bonus. It seems that they have increased the distance traveled somewhat so I look forward to seeing how that plays. Making it first person this time around was also a good choice I think (though it looks like there may be a toggle for third person). I can't really think of any downsides to this.
  • Sprinting
    While I am happy to see sprint return I would've preferred it not be in the smaller modes like 4v4. Having some abilities tied to it does help but it still feels like it would've just been better to leave it in larger settings where it can have the most use. That said, having shields not recharge while sprinting is a nice way for them to balance it at least and should help to discourage players from spamming it whenever they think things aren't going their way. I really look forward to seeing how the new movement options combined with sprint affect firefights on both smaller and larger scales.
  • Spartan Slide
    To be honest I'm fairly indifferent on this one. I don't think it will really cause any problems and I can see how it will feel cool to run and slide at high speed to dodge a bullet or something. Really a non issue and people shouting about how it's copying Destiny or CoD therefore it's dumb can shove it to be frank.
  • Ground Pound
    This one was actually something that worried me at first. While I think it is a cool idea the fact that it's a one hit kill seems like a potential balance issue. However after seeing gameplay of it, it is a VERY risk vs reward ability. You've gotta be careful when you pull that thing out because you are a floating stationary duck in a room full of sights ready line up on you. The charge time is also fairly long and when you do land you are stationary for a good second which is long enough for another player to beat you across the back of the head. We will have to see how it plays in the beta though.
  • Spartan Charge
    Based on what I've read and seen this ability won't be as much of an issue as I initially thought. It isn't a OHK except maybe in that Breakout gametype and apparently there is a recovery that really leaves you open. I'll have to wait until the beta to really be able to assess it though.
  • Clamber (Climbing)
    Given how quick the animation is for this and that you do need to actually have input for it to work as opposed to just an automatic pull up, I am fine with this. It can increase map flow for sure.
  • Stabilizers
    Apparently these can be turned off which is good because after seeing how they work I don't think I'd really want to use them anyway. I can see their merits though and they have the same risk/reward as the Ground Pound in that you are a bigass target.
  • Smart Scope
    Probably one of the most iffy "additions" for me. I prefer just having a simple scope in animation. Hopefully it can be toggled but if not I can live with it since the mechanics are still the same. I've just never been a fan of rifle but being shoved up my nos- er- helmet. The thing that disappoints me a lot about it though is that since all weapons are affected by it this means the visor scope is gone forever... RIP in peace.

Weapons
The weapons all look and shoot fine from what I've seen. As long as they aren't chock full of aim assist and bullet magnetism.
Only thing I'm worried about is the flinch that seems to happen when you are descoped. I don't like that at all and I really hope it is either toned down a LOT in the beta or straight up removed.

Maps
The Maps were very pretty. There also seems to be a lot of different routes you can take so as to fully utilize the increased mobility we have. Can't wait to see what the larger maps are like.

SOUND DESIGN
This was probably the most noticeable issue for me during the stream. Everything sounds digital from scoping in to firing your own gun. Then there's the CONSTANT beeping that rivals even the most irritating of Nintendo games. It's like having a notification that is taped to a cheese grater grinding up against your ear constantly. I really hope they tone this down and make the effects much more subtle. Speaking of cheese, Steitzer vocal chords seem to have been turned into it based off of his announcing work. I mean holy shit I was laughing at how comedic it sounded.

The in game Spartan chatter seems like a nice way to familiarize new players with callouts but I really hope it can be turned off.

Music
This wasn't really a focus of HaloFest but I gotta say that the music they did play during the ViDoc sounded really great. Especially the bit at the end with the electric guitar. It sounded incredibly cool and I really look forward to seeing what they come up with. Hopefully something involving monks.

Verdict
Overall I was really happy with what I saw today. 343 seem to be doing a lot to try and make a true successor to Halo that feels like a natural progression of the game. They're adding abilities that are a part of the core gameplay and designing everything with these new changes in mind as opposed to just putting on a bunch of stickers. Though there are things like dumb medals and an overactive sound design team which hopefully can and will be changed.

The beta will be a great chance to help fine tune a lot of what 343 are doing and provide feedback on things that do and don't really work well. Halo seems to be moving in a much better direction and I can't wait to try it out for myself. So let's use this opportunity best feed back we can with documents... and maybe some math.

--

Good analysis.

Is visor scope really gone?

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Woke up this morning expecting to play MCC...then it says I need a 15GB update...why did this not update itself last night? I had it in the low powered state so that it can update on its own...ughhhh...now I probably wont get any games in before going to work in an hour since the download rate is 2mb/s....damn you MSFT.

I watched the H5 MP vid, I don't know how to react. To be brutally honest, after spending a lot of time with CODAW last week...it looks as though they copied straight out of that game. The grabbing of ledges, that's a CODAW thing, but also a TF thing.

Basically all these spartan abilities can be directly correlated to cODAW.

I like the balance of sprint...if it's gotta be there, it's nice to know shields don't recharge.

Behind all the marketing speak on the vidoc, I see a scramble to copy CODAW and attract those players...not sure why but that's how I truly view it.

As for whether it's truly good or not, I guess I need to reserve that thought till I play the beta. But first impressions based on the vid, it's re-skinned CODAW but in Halo form I guess?

Kampfheld

Banned
I said it before and I stick to my words: what 343 is doing with Halo 5 is incredible. The competitive focus is just insane. The game is different in many ways without any doubt. But in my honest opinion this is the right route.

tootsi666

Did some players comment on auto aim and bullet magnetism? I'm pretty sure someone said auto aim was very low but I can't find a source.

-Ryn

Banned
Good analysis.

Is visor scope really gone?
Thanks man.

It hasn't been confirmed but assuming that every weapon uses the "smart scope" (which looks to be the case) then I don't see how the Visor Scope could still be around. It is a tragedy.

Just to clarify, when I say Visor Scope I am referring to the scope in you used to do when you had a weapon without a scope like the AR.

II SHABUTIE II

Neo Member
Woke up this morning expecting to play MCC...then it says I need a 15GB update...why did this not update itself last night? I had it in the low powered state so that it can update on its own...ughhhh...now I probably wont get any games in before going to work in an hour since the download rate is 2mb/s....damn you MSFT.

I watched the H5 MP vid, I don't know how to react. To be brutally honest, after spending a lot of time with CODAW last week...it looks as though they copied straight out of that game. The grabbing of ledges, that's a CODAW thing, but also a TF thing.

I like the balance of sprint...if it's gotta be there, it's nice to know shields don't recharge.

Behind all the marketing speak on the vidoc, I see a scramble to copy CODAW and attract those players...not sure why but that's how I truly view it.

As for whether it's truly good or not, I guess I need to reserve that thought till I play the beta. But first impressions based on the vid, it's re-skinned CODAW but in Halo form I guess?

Didn't 343 show off the Spartan abilities in the beta teaser before AW was announced/shown? It's like Sledgehammer stole from 343. :)

Thanks man.

It hasn't been confirmed but assuming that every weapon uses the "smart scope" (which looks to be the case) then I don't see how the Visor Scope could still be around. It is a tragedy.

Just to clarify, when I say Visor Scope I am referring to the scope in you used to do when you had a weapon without a scope like the AR.

For weapons that don't have a scope you still zoom in to the same visor level zoom we're used to I'd assume. Obviously I could be wrong. What was the visor zoom level?

Did some players comment on auto aim and bullet magnetism? I'm pretty sure someone said auto aim was very low but I can't find a source.

Was posted on twitter(?) earlier. One of the players commented on it being hard to shoot/aim because of the toned down aim assist. I can't find the source either though...

-Ryn

Banned

I think people are ridiculously quick to cry copycat. These aren't new ideas that were introduced by CoD or Titanfall or Destiny. Even if the idea was inspired by any of those games though, what is wrong with that? If they're adding it just for the sake of aping a popular trend then yes that is stupid but is it really so hard to believe that 343 just thought it was a cool idea that might work well in Halo?

How are the Spartan Abilities all correlated with CoD when CoD:AW wasn't revealed until this last summer? People have been talking about a more in depth movement system in a Halo for years. The thrusters were introduced in Halo 4 and are being expanded on as a core mechanic. Titanfall was one of the first games to really ace parkour and wall running but it's hardly a new concept.

When you complete a game it says you finished "1th" no matter how well you did.
..."1th"?

I said it before and I stick to my words: what 343 is doing with Halo 5 is incredible. The competitive focus is just insane. The game is different in many ways without any doubt. But in my honest opinion this is the right route.
I really can't wait to get my hands on it. This feels like it could be the Halo we've been waiting for.

One of the pros that competed mentioned how much harder it is to aim now in a tweet. Skill gap and stuff.

King Leo

Neo Member
Managed to matchmake some Halo 2 Classic for a bit. Felt amazing. Just like all those years ago. Once 343 fixes all these launch day bugs, this will be the best experience ever.

-Ryn

Banned
As I said on the other thread, I'm hyped for Halo again.

Beta in like what, 40 days? Can't wait.
It's gonna be tight

For weapons that don't have a scope you still zoom in to the same visor level zoom we're used to I'd assume. Obviously I could be wrong. What was the visor zoom level?
Well the reason I think it's probably gone is because the AR has never had a scope and still doesn't, yet it is affected by the Smart Scope. This probably means that we won't have Visor Zoom anymore which was a 2x zoom in Halo 3 if I recall correctly.

It's gonna be tight

Well the reason I think it's probably gone is because the AR has never had a scope and still doesn't yet it is affected by the Smart Scope. This probably means that we won't have Visor Zoom anymore which was a 2x zoom in Halo 3 if I recall correctly.

I wasn't arguing that it's gone, I agree it probably is. I was just saying we aren't really "losing" it because it's been replaced by the Smart Scope for non-scoped weapons anyway, assuming they have the same zoom level as the old visor zoom.

-Ryn

Banned
I wasn't arguing that it's gone, I agree it probably is. I was just saying we aren't really "losing" it because it's been replaced by the Smart Scope for non-scoped weapons anyway, assuming they have the same zoom level as the old visor zoom.
Oh I see.

Even if the weapons do zoom in just as much however the problem I have is that I can't really zoom in anymore. I liked to use my Visor Zoom as binoculars a lot. Was a lot of fun from a little feature for me and was also useful for when I needed to check out an area while holding say, a bomb. Probably can't do that anymore :(

Oh I see.

Even if the weapons do zoom in just as much however the problem I have is that I can't really zoom in anymore. I liked to use my Visor Zoom as binoculars a lot. Was a lot of fun from a little feature for me and was also useful for when I needed to check out an area while holding say, a bomb. Probably can't do that anymore :(

Frankie mentioned in that behind the scenes bit that the Smart Scope is meant to be something that we've always had since Halo 1, a link from gun to visor basically. So I'd imagine visor zoom is still a thing for bomb, since it's the suit doing the zooming, not the weapon.

-Ryn

Banned
Seemed like auto aim was toned down from H4. I liked it a lot.
I knew it already but it feels so nice to hear it from another person. So good. Look forward to more of your impressions.

Frankie mentioned in that behind the scenes bit that the Smart Scope is meant to be something that we've always had since Halo 1, a link from gun to visor basically. So I'd imagine visor zoom is still a thing for bomb, since it's the suit doing the zooming, not the weapon.
Hmm... that might actually be a thing.
THERE IS HOPE!!

Matchmaking problems:

UPDATE 3: 2:25 Eastern: Lobbies are populating finally, but the wait time is longer than usual, and I’m experiencing frequent mid-match disconnects. Overall it seems the service is stabilizing, but I’ll continue to monitor it and update this post for the next 24 hours.

UPDATE 4: 4:30am Eastern: Lobbies are filling up more quickly and matches are transitioning with players intact. Overall loading time is improved, and this is getting much closer to expected matchmaking behavior. However, the official Xbox Live Status page still lists the functionality as “Limited.”

Vico

The daytime Covenant-themed map does look like Midship.
That's pretty weird, but you know what, I'd love it if maps had variants. Would definitely help visually.

willow ve

After watching bunch of the Halo 5 videos here's my impressions.

Reactions:
Thruster Pack: I like the idea of additional movement options. Not sure if we need both sprint and thursters, but thruster at least adds an additional element.

Ground Pound: Will wait until Beta to see if this is ever used. Looks useless and somewhat frivolous. Falls under the category of why? Biggest fear I have with player animations like this is that shots fail to register.

Clamber: As long as it's quick and 100% tied to a timed button press (like they allude to in videos) it looks beneficial to the game play. Basically it feels like the elimination of ghost jumps.

Slide: File this under why?

Charge: Sprint double melee now has an official name and animation. Would prefer that Halo focused on gun battles with melee only coming into play in very close encounters.

Sprint: I still don't see the "need" for sprint to be in Halo. Honestly I don't. Is it just to make the player feel like they're getting around faster? It forces maps to be much larger. If it simply must be in the game it is at least tied to shield recharge. I would prefer it would be tied to overall shield level. As soon as you start sprinting your shield starts to discharge. In that way you can sprint only as long as your shield meter still has some value left.

Smart Scope: Why? Why is this a thing? Was there a single fan or core group that ever asked for ADS animation? Seriously I want to know. Instead of a clean scope feature built into my HUD I now have a physical animation where my arms/hands and the full gun are obstructing my view of the battle. I can't in any way start to understand this completely fundamental shift in how Spartans use weapons. If there is anything from the reveal videos that I want taken out it is overwhelmingly this "feature". I understand that it doesn't limit movement or affect accuracy, but it just doesn't make any sense and looks cluttered. In reality it looks like every other shooter.

tl;dr - get rid of Smart Scope - the rest is wait and see.

AlStrong

Is it for sure the br? Wonder if they gave it fire selector.

I thought I saw the ammo indicator go down by 3. Might have to double check then.

edit: Yeah, the rifle with handle bar (and iron sights) has the ammo counter go (practically) instantly down in 3s. It's so fast it looks and sounds like single shot. :s The DMR has a see-through scope and no handle bar on the top.

But I mean, I'm not sure what the functional difference is. :s

The cinematics viewer in extras is so broken.

For example, go to watch the H2A cutscenes and you get pushed into Halo Channel. Which is okay, because you start with the first cutscene. But it cuts out and minimizes the screen for the last ~5-10 seconds of the scene, pushing it into the top left corner of the screen and showing what is coming up next.

Not the next cutscene in sequence, but other random videos on Halo Channel. Most of the time it is the Remaking the Legend doc, but sometimes it is bulletin videos.

In order to go to the next cutscene, you must manually go to the right side, select "More episodes", and then scroll through all of the Halo 2 cutscenes. That is right. There is no option that I have found to watch them automatically in sequence. You have to individually select them each time.

Even if you are on the ~10th cutscene, when selecting more episodes you start right back at the beginning. The UI is not fast enough to scroll through with hardly any speed, and it becomes a chore to watch anything that isn't longer than a few minutes, simply because you have to go through so much cluttered menu stuff.

Also, all time lengths for the cutscenes are estimates. There have been cutscenes that are MAYBE 30 seconds that are listed as a minute long. I'm just skipping all of them, as much as I want to watch them, because the loading and scrolling is a waste of time.

I feel like a "play all" option should be standard at this point. Kind of ridiculous it isn't.

Top Bottom