• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Really? Everything I've heard suggests that they're looking for substantial gameplay feedback. Why bother to have a standard beta a year out from release?
Well obviously i hope you're right. =) I was really only basing my comments on what was said in the reveal last night. Granted, those guys were on the spot and getting asked all sorts of weird questions. "Which ability will get nerfed first?" I couldn't tell if that made Josh and that other guy nervous, but they just went with it.

MouldyK

Has 343i commented on how broken as fuck matchmaking is right now?

This is ridiculous. How is it not working? Honestly. I don't get it. It's literally half the game.

Might be the reason why I have lost the spark to play. As much fun as Campaign is, i'd rather play it with a friend, but not available right now for Split-Screen.

Bring us multiplayer!

jem0208

I will have a big write up on my thoughts on the beta ViDoc and exhibition pro match whenever I get some free time today.

Overall impressions after sleeping on it: Very good. Some things need to be removed or tweaked, but it has potential to be one of the best Halo's in terms of skill-gap, competitive potential and a blast to WATCH.

Waiting on Stinkles letting me know the best place to put this feedback though, so most of them will see it (will post here as well obvs).

Damn, the turnaround of your opinion from sunday has been absolutely huge :p

I'm feeling pretty optimistic about it, looks like it will be a tonne of fun. It also looks very different to classic Halo though. Personally, I don't see that as a problem. If it's fun in it's own right then awesome. Others obviously will and I'm worried 343 is going to shut out quite a lot of classic Halo fans.

Anyone down for some customs?

If that means I can actually play, definitely.

So am I the only one who noticed a significant downgrade in armor models from the ign reveal and yesterday's gameplay? Is it confirmed that they are using placeholder h4 models?

Hoping stinkles could weigh in on this.

I'm pretty sure the armour models are identical to the default Halo 4 recruit armour so I think we can safely assume they are placeholder.

too busy basking in the glory of their halo 5 reveal i guess.

Considering it's not just me who's being positive I'd say they deserve it ;)

antigoon

Is anyone else having trouble sending messages from that online friends list site?

Gotta get into some customs with y'all tonight. Last night was absolutely brutal.

willow ve

well, that would certainly provide a visual/target acquisition advantage and would be a bad idea IMO.

IMO the switch to Iron Sights to cater to other gamers was the bad idea. It will be very interesting to hear the convoluted logic that led 343 to decide this was the right visual representation of weapon sights.

Hopefully beta feedback can get this decision rolled back.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
halo fans are averse to change. looking at the series history, its clear to see why. halo ce, 2, and 3, despite being quite different themselves, are often lumped together as "classic" or "core halo" because of the vast similarities of core gameplay elements. this is a premise i'm not sure is fair, but i'll buy into for the purpose of this discussion.

halo reach came along and changed some aspects of the game (bloom and armor abilities are the standouts) which, most fans would agree, impacted the game to some degree.

halo 4 came along and fixed some of the issues introduced by reach (bloom and to some extent AA's) while at the same time its own introduced changes (other AAs, weapon drops, loadouts, perks, etc) arguably had the largest negative impact on the series to date. halo 4 is almost universally panned as the worst multiplayer playing halo game by a decent to significant margin.

now we have the introduction to halo 5. once again we are seeing an attempt to rectify previous games mistakes while at the same time introducing fairly major change. returning to the roots of the series is equal starts, scope knock-out and predictable weapon spawns. this sounds, almost unequivocally, to be changes for the better of the series. buuuut, we also have the traditional halo scope changed to look like ADS which poses questions about how scope will actually work, particularly for multi-leveled zoomable weapons, and also makes for a different experience. visual information while scoped is no doubt impaired from previous games. movement sees probably the biggest change with spartan abilities such as thrusters, stabalizers, ground pound, slide, clamber, and charge. its unknown how these will ultimately impact the game until its played.

my point is though, that change doesnt have to be bad. halo 5 has already fixed the biggest offenders to gameplay that reach and 4 introduced. this is a BIG win to the series and should drastically improve the game. the newly added stuff will take playtime to test and see how it affects the experience, but its not out of the realm of possibility that it could actually improve the series, which needs to be the goal of any forward thinking game and sequel. only time will tell though, but we'll soon have three weeks to test and provide feedback. i see no reason but to be optimistic at this point.

aim down sights would be a lot better if the gun model was more zoomed in (not the visual zoom, just the model) so it takes up less of the screen, right now it looks exactly like every other aim down sights shooter and I hate it appearing in halo even if the function is no different then before.

Impala26

Is there any way to see who has added you as a friend?

You go to the main "Friends" menu and you check the Activity Feed. Will show folks who added you as a "Follower". Addittionally, you can check all who follow you by choosing the box to sort by "Followers".

The former obviously helps find people who just added you recently though.

TheXbox

How are you guys finding the remastered H2 soundtrack? I'm loving it so far. Tom Salta does boss work. Best thing about these Anniversary treatments IMO

jem0208

h5-beta-empire-get-to-cover-7bcffdda245643fb9de3f736a1d1d65f.jpg

Considering it's only in very early beta, this game looks good.

That red dot looks really cool as well, even if it's implications are pretty questionable.

The UI is nice and clean as well.

willow ve

halo fans are averse to change. looking at the series history, its clear to see why. halo ce, 2, and 3, despite being quite different themselves, are often lumped together as "classic" or "core halo" because of the vast similarities of core gameplay elements. this is a premise i'm not sure is fair, but i'll buy into for the purpose of this discussion.

halo reach came along and changed some aspects of the game (bloom and armor abilities are the standouts) which, most fans would agree, impacted the game to some degree.

halo 4 came along and fixed some of the issues introduced by reach (bloom and to some extent AA's) while at the same time its own introduced changes (other AAs, weapon drops, loadouts, perks, etc) arguably had the largest negative impact on the series to date. halo 4 is almost universally panned as the worst multiplayer playing halo game by a decent to significant margin.

now we have the introduction to halo 5. once again we are seeing an attempt to rectify previous games mistakes while at the same time introducing fairly major change. returning to the roots of the series is equal starts, scope knock-out and predictable weapon spawns. this sounds, almost unequivocally, to be changes for the better of the series. buuuut, we also have the traditional halo scope changed to look like ADS which poses questions about how scope will actually work, particularly for multi-leveled zoomable weapons, and also makes for a different experience. visual information while scoped is no doubt impaired from previous games. movement sees probably the biggest change with spartan abilities such as thrusters, stabalizers, ground pound, slide, clamber, and charge. its unknown how these will ultimately impact the game until its played.

my point is though, that change doesnt have to be bad. halo 5 has already fixed the biggest offenders to gameplay that reach and 4 introduced. this is a BIG win to the series and should drastically improve the game. the newly added stuff will take playtime to test and see how it affects the experience, but its not out of the realm of possibility that it could actually improve the series, which needs to be the goal of any forward thinking game and sequel. only time will tell though, but we'll soon have three weeks to test and provide feedback. i see no reason but to be optimistic at this point.

A big win to the series, for sure, but the ADS still feels like a complete disconnect between 343 and their fanbase. It seems 100% purely aimed at grabbing players form other franchise even at the expense of alienating long term "core" fans.

I'm optimistic that the beta feedback can and will be taken into account when finalizing the game for holiday season 2015, but the ADS seems so hard coded into this game already I have some doubt as to the feasibility of removing it.

Future

aim down sights would be a lot better if the gun model was more zoomed in (not the visual zoom, just the model) so it takes up less of the screen, right now it looks exactly like every other aim down sights shooter and I hate it appearing in halo even if the function is no different then before.

Does that really impact gameplay though? Assuming movement isnt slowed and you can get shot out of it?

Every shooter on the planet has ironsights these days. Changing that to fit the modern look so that its more accessible doesnt seem like a bad thing at all.

Impala26

Honestly just get rid of ADS, ground pound and sprint and I'd be hyped as hell. I could even deal with ledge grabbing.

I...

Yeah same actually. The clamber mechanic I think fits okay, but personally for balancing sake and for the sake of still valuing skill jumps, clambering should take A BIT longer to achieve in my opinion. Ground Pound fits okay because it's not like you can pull it off in most situations and even in the ones you CAN, it looks like it's not a sure thing aim-wise and leaves you as a stationary sitting duck for 2 to 3 seconds.

The slide I'm okay with as I don't think it changes things too much, but the thing I'm most concerned about actually is the charging melee attack and how that fits into balance.

Impala26

That red dot looks really cool as well, even if it's implications are pretty questionable.

Two things:

What do you mean by "red dot"?
and
Anyone have any idea what's that that looks like another meter of some kind directly beneath the shield meter?

Booshka

Does that really impact gameplay though? Assuming movement isnt slowed and you can get shot out of it?

Every shooter on the planet has ironsights these days. Changing that to fit the modern look so that its more accessible doesnt seem like a bad thing at all.

You see less valuable information with Ironsights filling up your screen than you do with a Scope. The entire point of the lore behind the Chief's helmet being Smart Linked with the weapon was to not have to use Ironsights. Because seeing through the Scope is vastly superior to ADS for combat awareness. Smart Scope is an ADS concession and lore backtrack to try and grab more players that can't play shooters without Ironsights filling up their screen when they shoot.

Honestly just get rid of ADS, ground pound and sprint and I'd be hyped as hell. I could even deal with ledge grabbing.

They won't though because they want the COD fanbase. The problem with that is the COD players will just go back to COD after a while and the core fans are left with a game they don't want.

Halo 4 online died so fast compared to previous editions and 343 don't seem to understand why. Same will happen to 5

FyreWulff

I'm not sure how forcing ironsights into things makes a game more accessible.

It makes the FPS genre more commoditized, but it doesn't make it more accessible.

Welfare

I'm just glad we can see what our second weapon is on the HUD. The little things.

antigoon

You go to the main "Friends" menu and you check the Activity Feed. Will show folks who added you as a "Follower". Addittionally, you can check all who follow you by choosing the box to sort by "Followers".

The former obviously helps find people who just added you recently though.

Awesome, thanks!

jem0208

Two things:

What do you mean by "red dot"?
and
Anyone have any idea what's that that looks like another meter of some kind directly beneath the shield meter?

The site on the rifle. I know it's not technically a red dot but it looks like it.

And that's health I believe...

I'm down with this.

Halo doesn't need to be like other shooters. That's the first problem. Halo is popular as all get out. It's only suffered these past few iterations because of the drastic changes made to the game. Which is all an apparent attempt to make it more like other shooters. And like Booshka has said, iron sights just takes up a bunch of screen space, making it less efficient.

op_ivy

A big win to the series, for sure, but the ADS still feels like a complete disconnect between 343 and their fanbase. It seems 100% purely aimed at grabbing players form other franchise even at the expense of alienating long term "core" fans.

I'm optimistic that the beta feedback can and will be taken into account when finalizing the game for holiday season 2015, but the ADS seems so hard coded into this game already I have some doubt as to the feasibility of removing it.

i've admittedly to preferring the look of ADS to the traditional scope-in, but i dont see why this is a huge issue. i could take it (prefered) or leave it with no big change to my overall preception of the game. its certainly not something that should impair overall enjoyment of halo 5 or writing it off entirely. its different, maybe for the sake of being different (and glamming on CoD) and it will reduce visibility, but its still a small change in the grand scheme of things. the important thing is that the play is the same.

op_ivy

You see less valuable information with Ironsights filling up your screen than you do with a Scope. The entire point of the lore behind the Chief's helmet being Smart Linked with the weapon was to not have to use Ironsights. Because seeing through the Scope is vastly superior to ADS for combat awareness. Smart Scope is an ADS concession and lore backtrack to try and grab more players that can't play shooters without Ironsights filling up their screen when they shoot.

the lore argument is kind of silly honestly. can we back up why chief cant sprint in classic halo with lore? or why he is limited to 2 weapons regardless of size/weight constraints? no? then why use it for this point?

Matchmaking is still really slow and I have to close Halo after I finish a game because it freezes, but I have had two matches in the last ~20 minutes now. So maybe it's getting better?

EDIT: Although, the 4v4 slayer playlist somehow got a 5th player on the other team so that's cool.

Matchmaking is still really slow and I have to close Halo after I finish a game because it freezes, but I have had two matches in the last ~20 minutes now. So maybe it's getting better?

EDIT: Although, the 4v4 slayer playlist somehow got a 5th player on the other team so that's cool.

Is the 5th player Tashi? I remember that happening in Halo 4.

Booshka

the lore argument is kind of silly honestly. can we back up why chief cant sprint in classic halo with lore? or why he is limited to 2 weapons regardless of size/weight constraints? no? then why use it for this point?

Because 343 is going to use the lore to defend Smart Scope. I could give two shits about Lore, Gameplay over everything, but they're using it to explain their "new" feature.

Future

I'm down with this.

Halo doesn't need to be like other shooters. That's the first problem. Halo is popular as all get out. It's only suffered these past few iterations because of the drastic changes made to the game. Which is all an apparent attempt to make it more like other shooters. And like Booshka has said, iron sights just takes up a bunch of screen space, making it less efficient.

Takes up screen-space sure thats obvious. But I cant agree that it takes so much to actually hinder gameplay significantly enough for this to matter

It doesnt need to be like other shooters sure. But I dont see the negatives in making it "familiar." Making it like other shooters means slowing you down while in ADS, not being able to get shot out, etc. They aren't doing that, but are making it familiar to help people playing 99% of of other shooters out there able to jump right in.

Out of all the changes, this seems the lightest IMO. Clamber, side dashes, thrusters, sprint and sprint attacks, hover on ADS while midair....thats gonna change some shit.

Takes up screen-space sure thats obvious. But I cant agree that it takes so much to actually hinder gameplay significantly enough for this to matter

It doesnt need to be like other shooters sure. But I dont see the negatives in making it "familiar." Making it like other shooters means slowing you down while in ADS, not being able to get shot out, etc. They aren't doing that, but are making it familiar to help people playing 99% of of other shooters out there able to jump right in.

Out of all the changes, this seems the lightest IMO. Clamber, side dashes, thrusters, sprint and sprint attacks, hover on ADS while midair....thats gonna change some shit.

I think I saw a spartan hovering in the air and started "smart scoping" shooting enemies like a Warlock ability in Destiny

Top Bottom