• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

I think I saw a spartan hovering in the air and started "smart scoping" shooting enemies like a Warlock ability in Destiny

We'll have to see how much Hover actually ends up getting used. Frankie said it's toggleable, and it does leave you incredibly vulnerable. That one might end up a non-issue, depending on map design.

Fuchsdh

We'll have to see how much Hover actually ends up getting used. Frankie said it's toggleable, and it does leave you incredibly vulnerable. That one might end up a non-issue, depending on map design.

Yeah, from a metagame standpoint I'm not sure how many of these abilities will actually get play, once they're probably inevitably tweaked and nerfed in the beta. You hover to ground pound, but you need to be up enough to pound, and hovering makes you a giant, easy to hit target. Unless you're going to use that elevation to launch a rocket or flush someone out of cover, it seems more an invitation to blain. If it's toggleable, then I imagine for many players the risk won't necessarily match the reward of going smash, smash every so often, and they may turn it off...

Future

I think I saw a spartan hovering in the air and started "smart scoping" shooting enemies like a Warlock ability in Destiny

Yeah apparently it happens while scoping in air. I hate the bullshit glides in destiny so I'm a bit worried about that honestly. But it sounds like it might be overbalance to the point of it not being effective if you really are that vulnerable

Takes up screen-space sure thats obvious. But I cant agree that it takes so much to actually hinder gameplay significantly enough for this to matter

It doesnt need to be like other shooters sure. But I dont see the negatives in making it "familiar." Making it like other shooters means slowing you down while in ADS, not being able to get shot out, etc. They aren't doing that, but are making it familiar to help people playing 99% of of other shooters out there able to jump right in.

Out of all the changes, this seems the lightest IMO. Clamber, side dashes, thrusters, sprint and sprint attacks, hover on ADS while midair....thats gonna change some shit.
It may not be the end of the world, but it's a big enough change that it's annoying for people used to previous halo games. Something about it is just jarring when I'm used to a clean full view when scoped. The fact that it's going to be used often in games means that it will be a constant reminder of the difference.

Not this time.

But the game was bullshit anyway. I apparently suck ass at Halo 2 so that's awesome.

And the game literally freezes at a loading screen after every matchmaking game. This shit is embarrassing 343.

Playing last night definitely gave me terrorstalgia for Halo 2, such a huge chunk of that game is network-dependent. Hopefully it'll get better as more people can play and more central servers get picked for us.

Playing last night definitely gave me terrorstalgia for Halo 2, such a huge chunk of that game is network-dependent. Hopefully it'll get better as more people can play and more central servers get picked for us.

At least customs last night were fun. I will probably be able to play some more of those tonight if you guys all get on again.

playing Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary just makes me realize how much I hate it.. they completely ruin the art style.. everything is too bright, the graphics and textures are so inconsistent and there's a terrible judder and stutter in this version. I'm just playing on classic mode from now on.

Ryde3

Added a few people from the list that was just posted (the links straight to the profiles, that was super easy) but if anyone else wants to run some Custom Games today, add me please GT: Ryde360

ElRenoRaven

Goddamn is MCC buggy as hell. 343 should be ashamed at how buggy it is. I quit and saved at the start of the library and go to restart and I'm restarted at the beginning of Two betrayals which is after the library.

playing Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary just makes me realize how much I hate it.. they completely ruin the art style.. everything is too bright, the graphics and textures are so inconsistent and there's a terrible judder and stutter in this version. I'm just playing on classic mode from now on.

Ditto. It's not even a question of authenticity, it's just bad looking.

Plus, no shield flare on the elites? What the hell?

Goddamn is MCC buggy as hell. 343 should be ashamed at how buggy it is. I quit and saved at the start of the library and go to restart and I'm restarted at the beginning of Two betrayals which is after the library.

Oh yeah this was an issue for me as well.

I was on Cairo Station in the 0G stuff in space, just got a checkpoint saved and quit. Then I try to launch it again, hit resume, and all of a sudden I'm at the start of the mission. Cooool.

I am pleased making this.
10349900_891130057577591_7362597262593763945_n.jpg

"You merely adopted the Great Journey. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see a Halo until I was already a Chieftain and by then it was everything but blinding!"
- by our fallen Ora member.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Did we ever get clarification on what Frank meant by ADS being "toggleable"? Can we straight up turn it off in the options menu?

Plus, no shield flare on the elites? What the hell?
This is driving my crazy in H2A. I think the new graphics look fantastic and far more faithful to the original than CEA was, but the visual feedback on Elite's shields is so annoying. I've found myself switching back to classic graphics just to fight Elites.

willow ve

The Verge has a review up of their Halo 5 playtime

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/11/7186255/halo-5-guardians-preview

Interesting bits

With the updated maps come updated gunplay dynamics, which feel just as strong as any Halo game should. The most immediately noticeable -- and long overdue -- addition is the introduction of iron sights, a feature the game calls Smart Scope. The new feature doesn't even come with any serious drawbacks, as things like movement and hip-firing won't be affected. It’s all tied into your Spartan’s suit, meaning each gun reacts differently when scoped. Really slick UI reticules appear when you’re scoped, and all guns, even the sword, can now scope. For some weapons this makes a huge difference: [B]for example, it makes the Assault Rifle, which I’ve always felt was useless, something worth holding onto[/B]. De-scoping is back as well; getting shot while scoped in will pull you out of scope briefly. The feature has a slight delay, which is a little frustrating, but de-scoping drastically changes the way Halo plays, and for the better. Being able to hold snipers at bay while I maneuver around is essential to the Halo experience.

Also new is ledge grabbing, called Clambering, an addition I could live without. It’s fairly straightforward: press A near a ledge to climb up. It feels good, but it isn’t necessary. Jumping and verticality was always something that set Halo apart; mastering the jump height and physics of each game took time, but it made those extra hard jumps feel much more rewarding when you pulled them off. Clambering does make maneuvering around the map easier, but the animation can get in the way. More than once I tried to jump over a small ledge only to enter the clamber animation. It was rare, but still annoying.

All of these mobility abilities make Halo feel faster than ever, but when you’re not using them, everything feels slow and kind of clunky. You still can’t jump very high and your default speed feels unbearably slow. I long for the days of the floaty Halo 2 physics. Halo was always much slower than most modern FPS games, which I liked, but adding this mobility makes me think they can increase the base movement speed and jump height to better match the fast paced environment they’ve created.

Nowise10

Have you guys gotten to the underwater section on the mission Regret yet in Halo 2 Anniversary?

Holy shit is it amazing what they did. It adds so much more seeing an entire forerunner like city beneath the water.

Well I just played a good Halo 3 Team Slayer game and after it was finished was stuck at a loading screen for 5 minutes

I had to shut my console down just to get out of it..

This is driving my crazy in H2A. I think the new graphics look fantastic and far more faithful to the original than CEA was, but the visual feedback on Elite's shields is so annoying. I've found myself switching back to classic graphics just to fight Elites.

Hah I did exactly that in a few spots, in video footage it looks like some of the later elites with red shields is more visible to see, but the normal elites with blue shields are near invisible to see when you hit them compared to the original graphics.

Not sure how I feel about breakout giving everyone less health, it turns the game into a "remember, this game mode will 4 shot you instead of 5 shot" and that's when the game becomes a mess, it's like changing rocket damage in quake depending on game mode.

What is wrong with normal shields and health in breakout?

Did we ever get clarification on what Frank meant by ADS being "toggleable"? Can we straight up turn it off in the options menu?

Actually, I can see it in H2A, but it's totally invisible in CEA. They just don't have any hit reaction, it's hugely irritating.

Rooster Teeth's "The Know" Halo 5 Guardians Beta Hands-On

In case folks missed it. Looks like a new Halo game to me... :)

EDIT: Anyone know how to embed?

*is n00b*

Game is looking good. Still gonna have to see how smart scope and ground pound actually play, but it looks fun. Could definitely stand to up the base move speed, though.

And you can't embed videos :p

Video VERY CLEARLY shows that using ADS gives smaller reticle than hip fire. Seems to at least be a visual cue that ADS gives greater accuracy to weapons.

Yeah, I see it too. Might just be for automatic weapons, though. Not sure how I'd feel about that.

MouldyK

Not sure how I feel about breakout giving everyone less health, it turns the game into a "remember, this game mode will 4 shot you instead of 5 shot" and that's when the game becomes a mess, it's like changing rocket damage in quake depending on game mode.

What is wrong with normal shields and health in breakout?

I thought Swat and some other game modes had different health anyway?

Top Bottom