• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

VinFTW

Also, I feel like I had the sudden realization we're going to be stuck with sprint in Halo 5.

The CG arena trailer for H5 shows sprinting spartans, but not only that, a feet-first slide into "cover".

How could you perform a slide like that without sprinting first (I mean you could, but awkward as hell)?

Idk, would be upsetting (imo) to have sprint.

it's late, I'm starting to over-think things

Madness

Jeez this game is going to have sooooo much replay ability. I almost wish Halo 5 came out in 2016.

It's inevitable that Halo 5 will take most of the playerbase, every new Halo always has, even if people considered it inferior to the one before.

It's interesting though, where we usually had a new game after 2-3 years, we're getting one in roughly 11-12 months after this. I don't think Halo 5, especially if it's not as good as we assume, will do as much damage to the MCC playerbase. The unified interface, eSports whatever, ranks, will mean that communities will keep flourishing playing CE, 2 and 3.

GrizzNKev

Banned
It's inevitable that Halo 5 will take most of the playerbase, every new Halo always has, even if people considered it inferior to the one before.

It's interesting though, where we usually had a new game after 2-3 years, we're getting one in roughly 11-12 months after this. I don't think Halo 5, especially if it's not as good as we assume, will do as much damage to the MCC playerbase. The unified interface, eSports whatever, ranks, will mean that communities will keep flourishing playing CE, 2 and 3.

Especially if MCC gets an update that integrates it into the UI, or the Halo Channel does something similar. You just have a list of Halo 1-5, and instead of picking a game or something, you just pick a level/playlist/whatever straight from your dashboard. Not needing to switch discs or navigate multiple UIs will go a long way to preventing population loss for the MCC. Hnng.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Like lap times in racing. The level's broken into chunks so it's easier to see where you're beating pace or lagging.

Yep. So someone would set a split right after making a big jump or a glitch, or clearing a room. If a speedrunner isn't beating that time, they know it and they can reset if they are no longer on WR pace.
based 343

Mix

Like lap times in racing. The level's broken into chunks so it's easier to see where you're beating pace or lagging.

Yeah this is getting fucking ridiculous. This is the best list of features I think I could have possibly asked for.

But guys, what if none of this makes it into Halo 5?

zychi

Banned
Especially if MCC gets an update that integrates it into the UI, or the Halo Channel does something similar. You just have a list of Halo 1-5, and instead of picking a game or something, you just pick a level/playlist/whatever straight from your dashboard. Not needing to switch discs or navigate multiple UIs will go a long way to preventing population loss for the MCC. Hnng.

if only ms would actually do this. instead we're going to be stuck with the same ol bs we've been given.

JoeDanny

Pls do this 343. Gods must be strong

Yeah this is getting fucking ridiculous. This is the best list of features I think I could have possibly asked for.

Don't fucking jinx it! Go outside, run around the your building/house 3 times (clockwise!) and yell "Macbeth!" as loud as you can.

dwells

I like the grenade indicators in that it lets me know I've hit someone who's around the corner so I can go after them.

Sounds like you're talking about a hit marker.

And the reason you just gave is one of the reasons people don't like hit markers. You shouldn't be privy to knowledge that you wouldn't have. If someone randomly spams nades across the map or around corners, they shouldn't get to know whether or not those nades actually connected. If you toss one down the hall with the hopes of it hitting someone, choosing to then go down the hall and engage should be a risk/reward scenario, not a "oh, I'm gonna win because the game told me the grenade connected even though I was safely hiding behind cover" scenario.

Madness

Eh, ultimately you want to add more features to each iteration of games, but unlike MCC, 343 is doing the heavy lifting for Halo 5. But I think because it was pushed another year for 3 years dev time, the fact they're going to have a beta so early, means they probably won't be as rushed as they were for Halo 4 and have to cut legacy features.

I do hope Firefight returns. That's right, Firefight, not Spartan Ops 2.0, it's sad that the two games that aren't in this collection are the ones that had Firefight. Seeing how much better the games run and play and look, I kind of really want ODST and Reach, if only for the campaigns.

Blissful

Neo Member
I really like what 343 did with the campaign. Adding competitiveness to it makes it a lot more fun. Can't wait to buy this game

Damn, so we have an overpowered motion tracker that tells you elevation and is very precise on top of the long range it has, yet people still want grenade hitmarkers/indicators.

What happened to basic map awareness and coordinating movements with your team? RIP standards

EDIT:
I understand why you don't like it, but I still do. I think it helps me cut down on grenade spamming and I love knowing I hit someone so I can go in after them and get the kill.
You get 8 grenades in H2A.

Sounds like you're talking about a hit marker.

And the reason you just gave is one of the reasons people don't like hit markers. You shouldn't be privy to knowledge that you wouldn't have. If someone randomly spams nades across the map or around corners, they shouldn't get to know whether or not those nades actually connected. If you toss one down the hall with the hopes of it hitting someone, choosing to then go down the hall and engage should be a risk/reward scenario, not a "oh, I'm gonna win because the game told me the grenade connected even though I was safely hiding behind cover" scenario.
I understand why you don't like it, but I still do. I think it helps me cut down on grenade spamming and I love knowing I hit someone so I can go in after them and get the kill.

Do you also spam Promethean Vision, or did you just set up a three grenade loadout?

What kind of rebuttal is that?

Do you also spam Promethean Vision, or did you just set up a three grenade loadout?

tumblr_mifvnclCSk1qjszfuo1_250.gif

Eugn truth bombs. Ouch.

Yeah, why use all the things in the game (like teammates, audio cues, actual map awareness) that let you know you hit things when you can have babby-mode? Why keep in the ability to survive a grenade hit and get away when you can just throw grenades willy-nilly and finish the kills after the other player is fucked due to no fault of their own?

Come on already. "Grenade spam" is just a whiny excuse people make when they keep getting killed by grenades because their movements are predictable as shit. The only thing grenade hit markers do is encourage MORE spamming because it has even MORE usefulness. Also, y'know, 4 grenades.

dwells

Frankie, how many batches of brownies would I have to bake for you guys to get this Halo 2 content ported over as DLC? Sure, it's an unfinished mess with memory leaks and required some guys behind the scene to do garbage collection in realtime while it was being played, but screw it, you've got 64 times the RAM of a DVT4; let it leak and we might get a few minutes of gameplay before a crash...

Seriously, what I would give to see that playable someday.

EDIT: They'd be Trader Joe's chocolate truffle brownies. Seriously, they're worth it.

Yeah, why use all the things in the game (like teammates, audio cues, actual map awareness) that let you know you hit things when you can have babby-mode? Why keep in the ability to survive a grenade hit and get away when you can just throw grenades willy-nilly and finish the kills after the other player is fucked due to no fault of their own?

Come on already. "Grenade spam" is just a whiny excuse people make when they keep getting killed by grenades because their movements are predictable as shit. The only thing grenade hit markers do is encourage MORE spamming because it has even MORE usefulness. Also, y'know, 4 grenades.

You don't have to be condescending. I'm sorry I like something you don't.

woodland

You got your CoD in my Halo, aka hitmarkers. Love the comments above, been awhile since I've seen anything ballsy and interesting^^

In terms of the leaderboards, hope we get them in MP too. You'll have boosters and de-rankers no matter what. Looks like everythings coming together nicely though in terms of throwing competition a bone.

You don't have to be condescending. I'm sorry I like something you don't.

Not condescending. Calling it like I see it. This has been brought up a few times before. And Prinz straight up asked a question, since those aspects achieve the same effect that you're praising.

And yeah, let's use the "different strokes" cop-out so we don't have to actually respond to any points. Sounds like fun.

JoeDanny

Frankie, how many batches of brownies would I have to bake for you guys to get this Halo 2 content ported over as DLC? Sure, it's an unfinished mess with memory leaks and required some guys behind the scene to do garbage collection in realtime while it was being played, but screw it, you've got 64 times the RAM of a DVT4; let it leak and we might get a few minutes of gameplay before a crash...

Seriously, what I would give to see that playable someday.

EDIT: They'd be Trader Joe's chocolate truffle brownies. Seriously, they're worth it.

I dreamed about playing this mission since E3 2003 up until the launch of Halo 2. Since then, I've just experienced crushing sadness and dreams of falling. I want this in Halo 2 Anniversary... so much...

RowdyReverb

I'm confused, are we debating the hit marker for grenades, or the nearby grenade warning indicator?
I'm not a fan or the former because Destiny lets you do something similar with damage over time and it doesn't feel right. If a player escapes, they escape. The attacker should have to face the risk of pursuing them blindly rather than know where they are around a corner.
The latter doesn't really bother me. It's frustrating when you know a grenade landed near you but you can't figure out which way to run, so you accidentally move towards it. I think that's just good design to let the player know that info immediately and clearly for such a time sensitive event, and it actually removes some of the randomness from the game by eliminating accidental detrimental movements into danger.

What rebuttal? I'm trying to get a feel for your "lines of sight are just suggestions" playstyle.

I like the grenade indicators in that it lets me know I've hit someone who's around the corner so I can go after them.

Did you mean to post in the Call of Duty thread?

;)

Edit: Sorry I made this sarcastic post before I saw you got hazed by everyone. My bad.

What rebuttal? I'm trying to get a feel for your "lines of sight are just suggestions" playstyle.

Well, I don't know what you mean by "lines of sight are just suggestions," and I don't very much like Promethean Vision. I also don't know what you meant by the three-grenade load out, or whatever it was.

belushy

Banned
I'm confused, are we debating the hit marker for grenades, or the nearby grenade warning indicator? I'm not a fan or the former because Destiny lets you do something similar with damage over time and it doesn't feel right. The latter doesn't really bother me. It's frustrating when you know a grenade landed near you but you can't figure out which way to run, so you accidentally move towards it. I think that's just good design to let the player know that info immediately and clearly for such a time sensitive event, and it actually removes some of the randomness from the game by eliminating accidental detrimental movements into danger.

I disagree, it doesn't add randomness at all. People need to be aware of their surroundings, and the game shouldn't give them the answer immediately. There is a ton of other ways to let people know where a grenade is about to blow up. Someone just an hour or so ago mentioned how you can hear plasma grenades hiss. If you are about to get hit with a grenade, you probably deserved it because of bad positioning.

VinFTW

I'm confused, are we debating the hit marker for grenades, or the nearby grenade warning indicator?
I'm not a fan or the former because Destiny lets you do something similar with damage over time and it doesn't feel right. If a player escapes, they escape. The attacker should have to face the risk of pursuing them blindly rather than know where they are around a corner.
The latter doesn't really bother me. It's frustrating when you know a grenade landed near you but you can't figure out which way to run, so you accidentally move towards it. I think that's just good design to let the player know that info immediately and clearly for such a time sensitive event, and it actually removes some of the randomness from the game by eliminating accidental detrimental movements into danger.

Thats why plasma grenades are glowing huge blue energy balls with a fizzy sound and frags light up yellow with a metal ping sound near you :)

Classic halo.

I'm inclined to agree. I'd prefer something a little more subtle, though, like an auditory warning.

EDIT: Wait, we already have those! So just make them a little more prominent.

Well, I don't know what you mean by "lines of sight are just suggestions," and I don't very much like Promethean Vision. I also don't know what you meant by the three-grenade load out, or whatever it was.

I hate grenade hit markers...but I do understand that if there are grenade indicators it does remove the chances of grenade spam a bit...

I can live with it, I just don't like it.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Bungie's Halo games had audio quality great enough that I could throw a grenade and know exactly whether it hit or not. I never once felt I needed an indicator.

I disagree, it doesn't add randomness at all. People need to be aware of their surroundings, and the game shouldn't give them the answer immediately. There is a ton of other ways to let people know where a grenade is about to blow up. Someone just an hour or so ago mentioned how you can hear plasma grenades hiss. If you are about to get hit with a grenade, you probably deserved it because of bad positioning.

I agree with this wholeheartedly...but not everyone can afford good headphones or turn their TV on loud enough in their home (parents, family, room mates, apartments etc). So even though there is plenty in the audio department, it DOES make sense for those who don't have that luxury.

Unfortunately that's the way it is. I hope that at least in competitive playlists those things are toggled off...would appease hardcore players.

belushy

Banned
I agree with this wholeheartedly...but not everyone can afford good headphones or turn their TV on loud enough in their home (parents, family, room mates, apartments etc). So even though there is plenty in the audio department, it DOES make sense for those who don't have that luxury.

Unfortunately that's the way it is. I hope that at least in competitive playlists those things are toggled off...would appease hardcore players.

Great point.

I just think that grenade indicators are bit to... out right about the information it gives. It is pretty much saying "the grenade is RIGHT THERE."

edit: Why must my spelling suck so bad...

ummm....

At the bolded, people around the corner are not in your line-of-sight...

At the italicized, these are effectively the same thing.

ugh...

RowdyReverb

If you are about to get hit with a grenade, you probably deserved it because of bad positioning.
I guess I just feel differently about it. I think that it should be harder to get really solid contact with grenades because it makes throw placement and timing matter that much more. I don't want a random grenade to get lobbed over at me and get blown up simply because I couldn't tell where the hell it landed in time. There needs to be something to balance against grenade spam, and indicators are it.

Thats why plasma grenades are glowing huge blue energy balls with a fizzy sound and frags light up yellow with a metal ping sound near you :)

Classic halo.

The hiss is fine if you're using headphones or have a good 5+.1 set up, but without those things, a visual indicator is necessary to tell the player the direction of danger.

Top Bottom