• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Bullshit. Competitive halo has had to sit out for the fucking casuals for far too long. Sit the fuck down.

Calm down.

It's not "us and them" or "casuals and... try hards".

The e-sports folks are just a tiny niche of the audience, and largely over-represented due to being a very vocal minority. It's also the group with the worst rep for being really anti-social and quick to, well, you did a good job of it.

I'm all for competitive Halo and taking competitive standards and applying them as a whole to most of matchmaking. But there are other slices of the Halo audience out there that doesn't get the representation and get pandered to like the e-sports fans.

It's interesting that 343 are going down this route with MCC though - and most of it is great and should benefit most none-sports fans too. However, it's just odd. Why now? Why that niche above others?

Also, competitive Halo "sat out" for such a long time because the competitive players and e-sports fans and organisations practically abandoned the franchise. Reap what you sow and all.

What should they be focusing on with TMCC that they're not, in your opinion? What other communities are being neglected, and do you view these communities as more "important" than the views and brand recognition that comes from competitive Halo scenes?
EDIT:
Halo 2, 3 = a base game that is good for competitive AND casual play = everybody wins.
Ehhh.. that's arguable, especially Halo 3.
You post like a fucking buffoon.
lmfao

VinFTW

Calm down.

It's not "us and them" or "casuals and... try hards".

The e-sports folks are just a tiny niche of the audience, and largely over-represented due to being a very vocal minority. It's also the group with the worst rep for being really anti-social and quick to, well, you did a good job of it.

I'm all for competitive Halo and taking competitive standards and applying them as a whole to most of matchmaking. But there are other slices of the Halo audience out there that doesn't get the representation and get pandered to like the e-sports fans.

It's interesting that 343 are going down this route with MCC though - and most of it is great and should benefit most none-sports fans too. However, it's just odd. Why now? Why that niche above others?

Also, competitive Halo "sat out" for such a long time because the competitive players and e-sports fans and organisations practically abandoned the franchise. Reap what you sow and all.

Halo 4 launch = casuals focus, not very popular...

Halo 2, 3 = a base game that is good for competitive AND casual play = everybody wins.

The re-focus on E-sports shows that 343 understands how to make a great game, especially a great Halo.

mhi

So with H2classic on dedicated servers, does everyone have host abilities (grenade jump, etc) like LAN or is it that no one gets them ?

So with H2classic on dedicated servers, does everyone have host abilities (grenade jump, etc) like LAN or is it that no one gets them ?

Interesting question. Initially, I would've thought that no one gets them, but I guess it would depend on what occurs on the PC version. Anyone know?

belushy

Banned
What should they be focusing on with TMCC that they're not, in your opinion? What other communities are being neglected, and do you view these communities as more "important" than the views and brand recognition that comes from competitive Halo scenes?
EDIT:
Ehhh.. that's arguable, especially Halo 3.

lmfao

WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON?

Halo 1 rite?

Everyone should be playing off-host if dedis are used.
I'll ask this again on this pretty new page since I don't know if you're
rsz_1rsz_4rsz_doge_by_sockytrooper-d71n6yj.png
'ing

WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON?

Halo 1 rite?
Halo 2 was a babby-friendly Halo that was saved with button glitches and other advanced techniques. Halo 3 was an unquestionably worster Halo 2, one reason being the BR, the weapon we used for ~99.9% of situations because there was no reason to use a Plasma Rifle over it.

Holy shit Ragnarok, rokt. People on this eSports hate train are bizarre.

I'm not really as wow'd by this as most people are. It's too dark and still not enough color diversity, nor does that color really pop out as appealing IMO. Still very early, but people are crazy in love with it lol.

if they reduced the haziness or fog all over the map and brightened it up a little...would be perfection to me.

Ghazi

Haven't been keeping up, but just noticed that Waypoint got pulled on the iOS app store. Is it getting an upgrade too? Or is it just no more.

belushy

Banned
I'll ask this again on this pretty new page since I don't know if you're
rsz_1rsz_4rsz_doge_by_sockytrooper-d71n6yj.png
'ing

Halo 2 was a babby-friendly Halo that was saved with button glitches and other advanced techniques. Halo 3 was an unquestionably worster Halo 2.

What you think of H2A so far, in comparison? (At least what you can tell from vids)

Ummmmmm....Can we all just take a moment and absorb how absolutely unfriggenbelievably gorgeous this is:

gamescom-2014-halo-5-guardians-multiplayer-beta-map-1-command-center-f407beb1b4c34f3297ce6ceed431fc68-677f3249367244f6baf9987056f0f369.jpg

They have the Halo ring in the distance, the hallways looked nice and widened providing more freedom of movement...

Actually looks alien, yet still distinctly covenant. *drool*

For more pics: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one

One thing that has bugged me about these Halo 5 pictures is how faded everything looks. The art looks interesting, but it's rendered in a funny way or something.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

I don't think any one community is being neglected, that's a serious accusation and not one I'm implying. Things like the numbers Halo e-sports have achieved are like a fart in the wind compared a) e-sports overall, and b) Halo 's own marketing and growth

Here's one example:

Machima/Photographers: Giving more attention and showcasing the video abilities in the games across the board. They could have included saved films and photos across the entire game and all game modes bringing parity to the series.

I could give more examples, but I hope you see the point. Obviously if they did this for all audiences then it would scope out of control, so it was never going to happen.

On a related note:

Will they have saved films for Halo 4's campaign? It was cut near the end of development on Halo 4, but surely they could have found a way to implement it in the years since and include it in MMC, no?

What you think of H2A so far, in comparison? (At least what you can tell from vids)
It looks fun and I'm excited to try it out. It certainly has the potential to be a sleeper hit for this package. Mostly I'm excited to try out the Magnum because it has 12 shots and it looked to be about a ~6sk (it'll probably end up being a 10sk lol)? Too bad it won't have a scope..

dat Sentinel Beam tho <3 I love how they took an existing weapon and turned it into something badass, worthy of picking up. This weapon design with H2A gives me hope for Halo 5.

EDIT:
But wouldn't this all equate to extensive development time, moreso than building relationships with eSports/competitive communities and supporting it that way, something they already have some experience with? They do talk a lot about vision of scope, etc.

I made a quick comparison to illustrate what I mean about the Halo 5 images looking off/fuzzy/faded.

Original/Updated:

It's almost like the original has crushed blacks, and the overall image quality is suffering from some weird artifacting.

VinFTW

It looks fun and I'm excited to try it out. It certainly has the potential to be a sleeper hit for this package. Mostly I'm excited to try out the Magnum because it has 12 shots and it looked to be about a ~6sk (it'll probably end up being a 10sk lol)? Too bad it won't have a scope..

dat Sentinel Beam tho <3 I love how they took an existing weapon and turned it into something badass, worthy of picking up. This weapon design with H2A gives me hope for Halo 5.

EDIT:
But wouldn't this all equate to extensive development time, moreso than building relationships with eSports communities and supporting it that way, something they already have some experience with? They do talk a lot about vision of scope, etc.

Agreed.

I still want to know what people think of that pistol w/scope from the IGN rewind of the Halo 5 Beta First look.

The Halo 1 pistol might be a power weapon? That's my speculation, at least.

darthbob

I made a quick comparison to illustrate what I mean about the Halo 5 images looking off/fuzzy/faded.

Original/Updated:

gamescom-2014-halo-5-guardians-multiplayer-beta-map-1-command-center-f407beb1b4c34f3297ce6ceed431fc68-677f3249367244f6baf9987056f0f369.jpg

9G8qBYD.jpg

It's almost like the original has crushed blacks, and the overall image quality is suffering from some weird artifacting.

Looks like someone opened up Photoshop and adjusted the contrast.

belushy

Banned

EDIT:
But wouldn't this all equate to extensive development time, moreso than building relationships with competitive communities and supporting it that way, something they already have some experience with? They do talk a lot about vision of scope, etc.

Agreed on the sentinel beam. Can't wait to use it.

Agreed.

I still want to know what people think of that pistol w/scope from the IGN rewind of the Halo 5 Beta First look.

The Halo 1 pistol might be a power weapon? That's my speculation, at least.

I think the Halo 1 pistol being a power weapon would be sublime and everyone would win...but I am not convinced that was a pistol at the end of the video.

I took pictures of the frames and the more I analyzed it, it looked too long to be a pistol. *shrug*

Either way I think the H1 pistol (3 shot and all) being a power weapon would be amazing.

Simple fix, but yeah, sorta.

Well, actually I duplicated the image, made an extreme adjustment to the contrast, and then desaturated most of it. From there I found the blacks, and boosted them. I set the duplicated layer to multiply, made minor adjustments to its contrast, and then adjusted it's opacity so that the overall colors felt true to the original assets without out looking too boosted, juicy or gloomy.

Not that it really matters, long story short is that the colors looked faded and the blacks looked crushed.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
EDIT:
But wouldn't this all equate to extensive development time, moreso than building relationships with competitive communities and supporting it that way, something they already have some experience with? They do talk a lot about vision of scope, etc.

Pandering to every niche, extensively, isn't possible with a project of this scope and I wasn't calling for that. :)

I was just wondering why one niche, out of many, is getting a lot of attention. I'm happy to see, it for the most part but it's just odd.

Welfare

Anything E-sports tonight is a good thing in my book.

343 are really catering to all the communities with this game. Casuals, hardcore, speedrunners, competitive, Dylan Rider fans, 60fps gamers, forge, etc.

I commend you for all that, and am really excited for what Halo 5 has to offer.

343 are really catering to all the communities with this game. Casuals, hardcore, speedrunners, competitive, Dylan Rider fans, 60fps gamers, forge, etc.

How to speedrunners? :D

darthbob

Well, actually I duplicated the image, made an extreme adjustment to the contrast, and then desaturated most of it. From there I found the blacks, and boosted them. I set the duplicated layer to multiply, made minor adjustments to its contrast, and then adjusted it's opacity so that the overall colors felt true to the original assets without out looking too boosted, juicy or gloomy.

Not that it really matters, long story short is that the colors looked faded and the blacks looked crushed.

The blacks do look fairly crushed, and that's been an issue with the Xbox One since release unfortunately.

I do agree that the 'look' of Halo 5 is kinda fuzzy. Don't get me wrong, I still think it looks amazing but I see where you're coming from.

belushy

Banned

I'm still waiting for more forge info. The scripting objects thing could be big.

belushy

Banned
How do you all do that with photoshop. All I know how to do is make a second layer, color it one color and then change the opacity so it looks like a color overlay lol

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
How do you all do that with photoshop. All I know how to do is make a second layer, color it one color and then change the opacity so it looks like a color overlay lol

Image->Adjustments->Colour Balance.

Experiment and have fun.

The deed is done. The bone is bought.

Curse you Stinkles, you manipulative bastard.

Sitting here with a new Bone and some games and wanting to play none of them. Bring on MCC.

So many updates. Do you have install every game just to play it these days?

Um, why not just use the Curves tool? You basically just made the darks darker.

I like seeing these what-ifs but there's only so much we can say without player models, as the contrast with those matters above everything else.

Um, why not just use the Curves tool? You basically just made the darks darker.

I like seeing these what-ifs but there's only so much we can say without player models, as the contrast with those matters above everything else.

Because I know nothing about Photoshop. I have been slowly teaching myself by experimenting with images like this.

Next time I'll try doing it with curves.

I don't know if this has been posted but on: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one

scroll down to the bottom, there is this:
"*Online multiplayer and some features require Xbox Live Gold membership (sold separately); timed exclusive, may be available later on other platforms."

This is regarding "Featuring Arena multiplayer, new modes and all-new Spartan Abilities, a new chapter in the Halo saga arrives exclusively on Xbox One in Fall 2015.*"

Does this imply a possible PC release? No, PS4 is definitely out of the question.

Because I know nothing about Photoshop. I have been slowly teaching myself by experimenting with images like this.

Next time I'll try doing it with curves.

Deaux it, curves are great for a lot of fine tuning and really fun once you get how they work. The hardest part I think is realizing what the histogram is telling you.

belushy

Banned
I don't know if this has been posted but on: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one

"*Online multiplayer and some features require Xbox Live Gold membership (sold separately); timed exclusive, may be available later on other platforms."

This is regarding "Featuring Arena multiplayer, new modes and all-new Spartan Abilities, a new chapter in the Halo saga arrives exclusively on Xbox One in Fall 2015.*"

Does this imply a possible PC release? No, PS4 is definitely out of the question.

You'd think MCC would be more likely to be on PC, but it doesn't say the same thing on there.

"Halo: The Master Chief Collection offers the definitive Halo experience exclusively on Xbox One on Nov. 11, 2014."

Ghazi

You'd think MCC would be more likely to be on PC, but it doesn't say the same thing on there.

"Halo: The Master Chief Collection offers the definitive Halo experience exclusively on Xbox One on Nov. 11, 2014."

Well, it doesn't say past November 11, does it? Halo: MCC coming out on PC on Nov. 12, 2014?

C. O. N. F. I. R. M. E. D.

Probably ass covering for five years from now when they port it to the Xbox Two/60 (tm)

Welfare

Time exclusive til the end of time. Still timed.

Pc release would not happen until the year Halo 6 is out. At least.

RowdyReverb

The blacks do look fairly crushed, and that's been an issue with the Xbox One since release unfortunately.

I do agree that the 'look' of Halo 5 is kinda fuzzy. Don't get me wrong, I still think it looks amazing but I see where you're coming from.

I think that the image is fuzzed up a little to hide the flaws that are bound to be present in the early build. If you look closely, the textures look pretty unfinished, and the effect is more pronounced in that touched-up version. I would pay special attention to the bottom-center of the image to get some further insight into why it looks the way it does.

Top Bottom