• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

VinFTW

I'm bumper jumper myself, but I cant for the life of me remember, was there really nothing bound to X in bumper jumper?

Halo Bulletin:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...-halo-bulletin-assault-on-controller-settings

Goes into Controller setting details (universal controller settings, options, etc.)

Edit: Aw, no impulse triggers in Halo CE, CEA, or 2 SP. 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

Is this Halo 5 Midship art new?

RArLthP.jpg

Karl2177

I think the answer to the medal issue is somewhere between 343 and Bungie's ideas. I actually think Halo 4 had a good idea in standardizing the designs of the medals because it allows them to blend in with the rest of the HUD / UI a little more seamlessly. The problem is that once you start giving out medals for everything, including "baseline kills" without any additional flavor, you suddenly have to clear up real estate onscreen for a lot more content than you realistically need to. Reach probably handled actual medal context distribution best, that is - medals can become more specialized and compartmentalized further down the skill pipeline, for example specific Killing Spree / Killing Frenzy / Running Riot medals for specific power weapons, while still keeping the context distribution minimalist and succinct on an on-spawn level. For example, not having to give you a specific kill medal for a "vanilla kill" clears up medals on a lot of engagements, as well as removing medals received for dying or refuting death - Comeback Kill, for example.

When you have medals specialized, it's a lot easier to account for them and you have to provide substantially less real estate for them. The one major exception involves mass multikills in an extremely short window of time (for example a laser collateral between two enemy vehicles, tank blowing away an entire fireteam, etc.) in which case it's dubious which multikill medals take priority on top of sprees, power weapon spree medals, etc. but that should naturally lend itself to be difficult (if not impossible) in a 4-8 second window provided the sandbox is balanced properly.

I do actually like the idea of restricting the medals to a core color palette with different flavor / accent colors per various gametypes (magenta for Extraction, for example) like how Halo 4 did rather than arbitrary colorations on multikills like Bungie did. It's just a matter of blurring the line between the two design philosophies enough that people are happy overall.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - there's also a lot of little details in the Bungie medals that ultimately serve to make the medal gallery a little too baroque when they're meant to take up a thumbnail's worth of size on your HUD, so simplifying the medals into their most basic possible designs would work wonders in the long run.

You're banned, I don't know how, but I don't really care either.

The counter to your points is that medals serve two main purposes: 1) reward the player for their actions; and 2) allow the player to identify the result of their action with ease. In order to do this, the color palette must be varied enough to quickly distinguish one medal from another. In addition to the color palette, the overall shape must follow a certain theme for the type of medal being rewarded. Halo 4's medal chest didn't give much for the player to quickly distinguish what they just earned, forcing them to rely on the kill feed and on audio cues.

Funny enough, Bungie's color palette progression was mimicked through both sprees and multikills, as you can see below.

medal_infographic.png

In the end, it's all about giving information to the player. A designer wants to give the player the most precise information that they can, otherwise the player is going to feel like something is being withheld from them. When I played Halo 4, I found myself ignoring the medal feed completely, relying entirely on the kill feed. Older Halo games had me utilizing both; medal feed to glance and see the basic shape and color, kill feed to get more detailed info.

The counter to your points is that medals serve two main purposes: 1) reward the player for their actions; and 2) allow the player to identify the result of their action with ease. In order to do this, the color palette must be varied enough to quickly distinguish one medal from another. In addition to the color palette, the overall shape must follow a certain theme for the type of medal being rewarded. Halo 4's medal chest didn't give much for the player to quickly distinguish what they just earned, forcing them to rely on the kill feed and on audio cues.

Funny enough, Bungie's color palette progression was mimicked through both sprees and multikills, as you can see below.

medal_infographic.png

In the end, it's all about giving information to the player. A designer wants to give the player the most precise information that they can, otherwise the player is going to feel like something is being withheld from them. When I played Halo 4, I found myself ignoring the medal feed completely, relying entirely on the kill feed. Older Halo games had me utilizing both; medal feed to glance and see the basic shape and color, kill feed to get more detailed info.

Beautiful post.

darthbob

• Theater Controls (Halo 2: Anniversary Multiplayer, Halo 3, Halo 4)

Guess this confirms no Halo 2 theater. Sad, but not totally unexpected.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I thought H2A was running it's own version of the previous engines, not just just H4 version.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I thought H2A was running it's own version of the previous engines, not just just H4 version.

That seems correct to me. There has definitely been work put in since Halo 4 that has been applied to H2A, and subsequently to Halo 5.

My advice on graphics is, they're hitting 1080p 60fps on a console that has a hard time doing it with many other games. Let the art speak for the visuals but don't expect the most effects-heavy game ever. They're definitely prioritizing nailing the general feel over wowing with graphics, which is absolutely the right move in a game like Halo.

Nice to see Karl2177 still knows his shit about Halo after a few years.

medal_infographic.png

Way to go God Mode on us. Great post, I had no idea there were color conventions.

just read the bulletin, once again no option to deactivate aim assistant and look speed range 1-10
id really like to see it being increased to 20 at least, 10 as maximum just feels so slow compared to other games, its almost painfull
only GoW and Destiny have a turnspeed being equally slow, no other games are this slow :(

Madness

medal_infographic.png

Great post Karl. That's exactly what I think about the medals. Sometimes people think too technically than practical. I'm sure the rage in art design these days is minimalist and standardizing to seamlessly blend in to UI elements. But I'm playing a shooter here. I need quick visual feedback within seconds. It wasn't a problem in previous games, it was a huge problem in Halo 4, where I just didn't care. I couldn't tell what I got, or why. Did I get this medal because I pumped two shots into a vehicle someone else killed, did I get it because I died 4 times in a row before getting another kill. Plus I think unlike Halo 3 and Reach, they didn't even really show who got the top medals last game, how many.

The Halo 4 medals may look clean and blend in, but they do a worse job at conveying info, which is the point of them.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Great post Karl. That's exactly what I think about the medals. Sometimes people think too technically than practical. I'm sure the rage in art design these days is minimalist and standardizing to seamlessly blend in to UI elements. But I'm playing a shooter here. I need quick visual feedback within seconds. It wasn't a problem in previous games, it was a huge problem in Halo 4, where I just didn't care. I couldn't tell what I got, or why. Did I get this medal because I pumped two shots into a vehicle someone else killed, did I get it because I died 4 times in a row before getting another kill. Plus I think unlike Halo 3 and Reach, they didn't even really show who got the top medals last game, how many.

The Halo 4 medals may look clean and blend in, but they do a worse job at conveying info, which is the point of them.

Especially since the point of having those distinct color schemes was to display information indirectly. If you're in the middle of donging your 4th dude after getting a triple kill, you're not looking right at your medal feed, but you can confirm through the colors slightly to the side of where you're looking that you're getting your kills in time. Having to actually look right at the medals to tell what they're for because they all look similar makes using them as a peripheral sense impossible.

Frankie said in June that is was 3 and 4, might have changed since (?) or just confirmed to the guy that there is 3 and 4 with his question.

Pretty awesome to have it included in that, can get some great shots for montages now.

Yea I'm kind of surprised they waited this long to confirm it.

Well *every* Halo runs off a previous version of the engine I think. They're just heavily modified every time. You can see some of the nuances of the Halo 4 engine in H2A gameplay.

Competa

Banned
Yeha, 343 has to fix the medals. Maybe not for the halo master chief collection, but surely for halo 5, the medals needs to have a purpose and show the gamer they are doing well.

Granadier

Added you! My GT is kittens dx.

Sweet.

I'm rocking BF4 at the moment if anyone else is looking to kill time before MCC comes out.

Would be nice if there were custom gamerpics for Live. (outside of the avatar picture thing)

MouldyK

Sweet.

I'm rocking BF4 at the moment if anyone else is looking to kill time before MCC comes out.

Would be nice if there were custom gamerpics for Live. (outside of the avatar picture thing)

This got me thinking: EA Access: Anyone got and if so, how is it?

Decided to search her for the first time in a while and found out she did not in fact retire at the beginning of the year like I thought.

Bah. Gawd.

You got a lot of Fap-tching up to do, eh?

VinFTW

GT: Vin FTW

H2, H2A, H3 all day errrr day.

Goodbye studies and school work.

Edit someone should Halo-ify my avatar. Maybe put a HaloGaf banner between his hands or something :p

Granadier

Unpopular opinion time.

I actually don't mind Halo 4's medals.
YcuoeIT.gif

The frequency that you receive them can be comical at times, but the medals themselves are fine in my book.

VinFTW

Unpopular opinion time.

YcuoeIT.gif

The frequency that you receive them can be comical at times, but the medals themselves are fine in my book.

I agree with the person that said you should be able to recognize the medals in your peripheral vision rather than being confused even when you look at them.

To each their own I guess!

Unpopular opinion time.

YcuoeIT.gif

Ditto. There's too many of the damn things, and they hand them out too readily, but I actually like the designs. I think if there were fewer, they'd be easier to distinguish.

MouldyK

Finally got an Avatar after like 5 months of lurking mostly!

I got it from a small poster I found while cleaning a couple months ago:

WP_000501.jpg

Man, this brings back memories of Magazines and Halo 2.

Granadier

I agree with the person that said you should be able to recognize the medals in your peripheral vision rather than being confused even when you look at them.

To each their own I guess!

Exactly.

But I feel that the "common" medals are easily distinguished by their colors even up to Halo 4.

The uncommon ones tend to be more similar color wise, but in the heat of things those don't really matter. That's more for post-game checking in my opinion.

edit: I would be able to get by with just the first two rows, if not fewer. These show plenty of info at a quick glance I think.
JWhzKm2.png

Madness

There's a difference between not minding the medals and not recognizing they do a worse job than those that came before it. You can't just say, "oh if they only had fewer medals it'd be better" because they don't. They have more medals, and they all look alike. Even in the above photo, only the first row is distinguishable at a glance, why? Because they use varying colors and designs. The second row blends in. You have made 1-4 seconds to see them in your peripheral vision, and they need to be distinguished.

I get if they don't bother you, you don't mind them, but what are you arguing against then? Is there any argument that can be made, from a medal standpoint, how they're better than Halo 3 or Reach medals?

Fuchsdh

Hmm... looks like according to the layouts I'll prolly be using "Universal Reclaimer". I've always used defaults in the Halo games but switching between Halo 3 and all the other games will throw me off badly, I suspect. I've gotten used to Halo 4 melee on right bumper and I'd much rather have reload/action be on X like it should be.

(Reloading being on Right bumper has always felt wrong. I sometimes miss those black and white buttons on OG Xbox...)

MouldyK

It was a different Magazine, but check out their launch issue:

XBM_Issue_1.jpg

Pour a drink for all the Game Series which didn't make it...

Granadier

There's a difference between not minding the medals and not recognizing they do a worse job than those that came before it. You can't just say, "oh if they only had fewer medals it'd be better" because they don't. They have more medals, and they all look alike. Even in the above photo, only the first row is distinguishable at a glance, why? Because they use varying colors and designs. The second row blends in. You have made 1-4 seconds to see them in your peripheral vision, and they need to be distinguished.

I get if they don't bother you, you don't mind them, but what are you arguing against then? Is there any argument that can be made, from a medal standpoint, how they're better than Halo 3 or Reach medals?

My posts weren't for the sake of argument. They were my opinions on the medals.

With all of the negative views towards the medals I figured it couldn't hurt to say that there was at least one person that didn't mind them.

edit: It would be nice to have an option to customize which medals you wanted shown in game/match, and have all the others you don't much care for saved for the post-match stats page.

Top Bottom