• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Welfare

Pre-patch halo 2 Melee battles

QwEl7jk.jpg

Don't remind me.

All I want is honestly; that's all I've ever asked for. Don't tell me it's the original if it's not. Don't dance around the truth. Even if it's based off the PC build, how hard would it have been for them to swap HUD elements to make it match the original?

Regardless, my primary concern is about the gameplay. If the sniper is easier to use, if the strafe is slightly slower, any number of small things can break Halo CE. I don't know what the differences will be, if any, but the fact that it's based off the PC build, which is not the original engine, makes me expect some alterations for the worse. This isn't about altered geometry or small HUD changes, it's about the game being built off a different engine.

The only differences I remember from CE to PC were a few spawns (I've been told this but never verified it), a few graphical differences with shaders that were made for optimization, the addition of a few weapons (which aren't present in MCC), and the lip on Hang Em High. I don't see why the lip, shaders and spawns (if the spawns are in fact different) could not be fixed before launch. I believe that they should fix these changes. Other wise the games should be the same. Like I said, going off memory here.

No idea why they are using the CEA sniper reticle. The other hud elements don't bother me.

I believe movement in PC only felt different because of the transition from mouse to keyboard. Playing PC with a controller felt even stranger because of the game not supporting analog sticks.

RowdyReverb

No idea why they are using the CEA sniper reticle. The other hud elements don't bother me.

Maybe something to do with making it more visible from the couch at higher resolutions? Or maybe it has to do with more accurately reflecting the bullet magnetism? There must be some reason. As long as the sniper rifle's stats haven't changed, it's not a big deal, just odd.

BigShow36

The only differences I remember from CE to PC were a few spawns (I've been told this but never verified it), a few graphical differences with shaders that were made for optimization, the addition of a few weapons (which aren't present in MCC), and the lip on Hang Em High. I don't see why the lip, shaders and spawns (if the spawns are in fact different) could not be fixed before launch. I believe that they should fix these changes. Other wise the games should be the same. Like I said, going off memory here.

I believe movement in PC only felt different because of the transition from mouse to keyboard. Playing PC with a controller felt even stranger because of the game not supporting analog sticks.

I hope you're right.

Maybe something to do with making it more visible from the couch at higher resolutions? Or maybe it has to do with more accurately reflecting the bullet magnetism? There must be some reason. As long as the sniper rifle's stats haven't changed, it's not a big deal, just odd.

I mean..i can get use to it...but I feel like it makes it too inaccurate feeling. It doesn't feel as precise. No other Halo sniper reticule appears so large, if I recall correctly.

For example, if I try to no scope or snipe someone at 8x zoom across the map for a quick shot (not going into 10x), then the larger reticule is more deceiving and you will have to place the head right on the dot in the middle of the circle. That's one of the reasons why pistol battles across the map are more difficult difficult.

I'm assuming this is just a placeholder as well, because it wouldn't make much sense to me why they would use that HUD. *shrug*

BigShow36

I am stoked to see the reticle back in the center of the screen, where it belongs. Let's hope Halo 5 brings that back
not going to happen

I am stoked to see the reticle back in the center of the screen, where it belongs. Let's hope Halo 5 brings that back
not going to happen

I understand why they do it. I remember reading a weekly update where (Frank I believe) talked about how it feels more natural for Master Chief's weapon holding position. It makes it feel like the weapon is against your virtual shoulder.

However, I feel like it makes Halo's already narrow FOV feel worse. Like I'm constricted. Halo 3 is a prime example of that.

Progression of weapon view model position:

Halo CEA
halo-anniversary-comparison-screenshots-oxcgn-20.jpg

Halo 2 (PC version for 16:9 consistency)
2.jpg

Halo 3
Screenshot.ashx

I thought moving the crosshair down was to help with showing off skyboxes and have less of the floor in view where it's not required, I think it helps but it also does sometimes feel a little strange when it's too low.

Ramirez

Watched that IGN video, and all I could think was the top 8 maps you probably never want to play in Halo.

I'm ready for this game though, I just hope I have a group to run with every night.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Watched that IGN video, and all I could think was the top 8 maps you probably never want to play in Halo.

I'm ready for this game though, I just hope I have a group to run with every night.

I miss the days of having a friends list where everyone was playing Halo 2...you basically could add 100 friends and always have a Halo party to play with.

Karl2177

If the Xbone raid is any indication, you'll still be hoping when December rolls around.

Fracas is full heel now, I'll let him hop in the ole backpack.

Haha he really has.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll find a group away from the other TJs from here.

Some of the more regular members are fine to play with and join whenever you need to party up (me included), although everyone has their groups kinda.

It's the new guys on here that scare me.

VinFTW

Haha he really has.

Some of the more regular members are fine to play with and join whenever you need to party up (me included), although everyone has their groups kinda.

well then... fu :(

Haha he really has.

I think that's the insular kind of attitude that scares a lot of people off from HaloGAF.

well then... fu :(

No offence.

I just mean I don't know them well enough or who they hang out with.

Often new members of HG are fine, but their friends who join them are...like...ehhhh.

I'm sure custom games with HG will help. : )

I think that's the insular kind of attitude that scares a lot of people off from HaloGAF.

Absolutely.

If you can tough it out and stick around, you'll find this community to be pretty consistent except that one guy.

VinFTW

No offence.

Often new members of HG are fine, but their friends who join them are...like...ehhhh.

Absolutely.

If you can tough it out and stick around, you'll find this community to be pretty consistent except that one guy.

I've already made sure to de-rust myself before heading into any games with fellow Gaffers.

I also know I'll be stuck playing with my bro and IRL friends alot (they suck) so playing with good people from Halo Gaf would be nice here and there.

BigShow36

I understand why they do it. I remember reading a weekly update where (Frank I believe) talked about how it feels more natural for Master Chief's weapon holding position. It makes it feel like the weapon is against your virtual shoulder.

However, I feel like it makes Halo's already narrow FOV feel worse. Like I'm constricted. Halo 3 is a prime example of that.

I know what their rationalization for it is, but it doesn't make much sense from a gameplay perspective. Halo is a game that is played not only horizontally, but vertically as well. A player should have equal viewing space for positions both above them and below them.

El Czar luvz no one.

The way I see it is that you could take what they said and be offended by it, or you can contribute and be part of it in some way of your own. We all post in the same place and sometimes quote each other, but does it offend me that El Czar doesn't luv me as much as I may ruv him? Nope, so maybe invest a little less into what they say (simply by quoting them less, giving them less attention, realizing we're all similar filthy Halo fans (you can still contribute to discussions without directly quoting your favorite posters all the time)) until you find that balance within yourself.

dat balance yo

Feel free to add me yall. I prefer competitive Halo but I love it all. Currently playing Diablo 3 with the wife though.

GT: Sir Fahzgoolin

No offence.

Absolutely.

Yeah, tough it out. Kind of have to when it's pretty much the only good Halo community heh.

El Czar luvz no one.

The way I see it is that you could take what they said and be offended by it, or you can contribute and be part of it in some way of your own. We all post in the same place and sometimes quote each other, but does it offend me that El Czar doesn't luv me as much as I may ruv him? Nope, so maybe invest a little less into what they say (simply by quoting them less, giving them less attention (you can still contribute to discussions without directly quoting your favorite posters all the time)) until you find that balance within yourself.

dat balance yo

I like everyone here equally.

And I'm being serious, there's not one person I hate from here*

*Except SBD. Actually, he cracks me up occasionally. So there's that at least

I know what their rationalization for it is, but it doesn't make much sense from a gameplay perspective. Halo is a game that is played not only horizontally, but vertically as well. A player should have equal viewing space for positions both above them and below them.
I hate how so many players play it horizontally though.. It pains me.
OddOne is filth and hasn't made an infographic in a long time.
Agreed.

I've been reading and posting here for a couple of years, but have played with very few of you. Always welcome to add me though.

My skills are more than capable on the battlefield. ;-)

I've been reading and posting here for a couple of years, but have played with very few of you. Always welcome to add me though.

My skills are more than capable on the battlefield. ;-)

You and HydraKrow are the only two members from here that I've ever randomly matched up against in MM.

It was you and Pic against a few of us on a game of Highlands CTF.

Not offended by it. At all. More of a "fuck me I'm still a junior" kind of response :p

All I'm saying is, I have IRL friends and family to play with and they kind of suck...

if I don't play with some good people when I want to do hardcore/e-sports I might break my controller :D
My bad, wasn't singling you out. I've just seen that pop up a lot and figured I'd post a thought on it.

Add me, "FUNKNOWN iXi" and we'll hit up some gamer strip clubs.

anyone in here interested in doing HCE 1v1s when the MCC is out?
if so add me, i so much cannot wait to play some good old 1v1s on ratrace or wizard :)

MouldyK

I'm new to Gaf and this community. Played Halo since '02 (Geez, I was 10 back then).

Suck at the game, have like a 0.7 k/d ratio all the time. I excel at Grifball though as I grab objectives and run with them at all costs.

Played Halo MCC at EGX London this year like 3 weeks ago. Sucked at first match, came back 2 days later and beat a group of 3 friends in a 4 player FFA.

I had 26 kills (1 suicide too), 2nd had 6, 3rd had 1 and 4th had -1. Best Halo Match I played. Even though they were scrubs, I brought my A-Game (which is like a C-Game for anyone else). They might aswell have renamed the Map SCRUBDown after I was finished with them.

A bit rusty with this Halo games overall though, but gimme up to Christmas and I might be able to actually not be last in every match.

P.S: Who would love it if MCC or H5 had Communities like Forza Horizon 2 where you could get like 1,000 (or 10,000...) Gaf Members all with a Clan Tag competing on Leaderboards to be the best Club around? It could be based on points like +1 for a Top Half Finish, 0 for a draw and -1 for Bottom Half Finish.

^-- As you can tell, I come up with bad ideas also.

Welcome, and damn.. now that's something I want lol. Halo 5 better come with a lottt of features or people are going to be angry!

343 am cry

Not a bad idea at all Mouldy.

Basically taking the concept of platoons from battlefield. Where leaderboard position and rewards are awarded to the consistent and high scoring platoons.

343 look into this.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
GT: xGranadier

I'll be hopping on that Halo 2 bright and early.

edit: Clans would be an awesome edition.
Clan leaderboards could be fun.

Top Bottom