• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

VinFTW

My posts weren't for the sake of argument. They were my opinions on the medals.

With all of the negative views towards the medals I figured it couldn't hurt to say that there was at least one person that didn't mind them.

edit: It would be nice to have an option to customize which medals you wanted shown in game/match, and have all the others you don't much care for saved for the post-match stats page.

I agree that their visual design is good, I wish maybe they were a BIT more colorful, but I think they look sleek.

I just wish they were instantly distinguishable and recognizable.

I want them to feel good and satisfactory to get.

edit: also Ninja Gaiden Black #1

AlStrong

YcuoeIT.gif

Forget all this medal talk. I want a sequel for Spartan 1337!

Madness

My posts weren't for the sake of argument. They were my opinions on the medals.

With all of the negative views towards the medals I figured it couldn't hurt to say that there was at least one person that didn't mind them.

edit: It would be nice to have an option to customize which medals you wanted shown in game/match, and have all the others you don't much care for saved for the post-match stats page.

But there is a reason for the negativity towards them, especially as Karl's post showed, positivity just for the sake of saying something positive doesn't really explain anything. I mean I agree you don't mind them, but can you say they do a better job than the previous medals? And can you say that you don't think Karl made a valid point?

Not trying to start anything either, and sorry if I come off as "abrasive and arrogant".

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I agree with the person that said you should be able to recognize the medals in your peripheral vision rather than being confused even when you look at them.

To each their own I guess!
That's a great way to put it and is the exact problem I have with the new medals.

GrizzNKev

Banned
That's a great way to put it and is the exact problem I have with the new medals.

Exactly how I explained it - they're colorful and distinct so you can pick up what's going on in your periphery instead of having to focus in on the medals to read them. Count your multikills without having to take your visual focus off of what you're shooting.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
But there is a reason for the negativity towards them, especially as Karl's post showed, positivity just for the sake of saying something positive doesn't really explain anything. I mean I agree you don't mind them, but can you say they do a better job than the previous medals? And can you say that you don't think Karl made a valid point?

Not trying to start anything either, and sorry if I come off as "abrasive and arrogant".

I say they do a better job at looking modern than the previous medal sets.
The new killstreak medals are distinct enough to know what you are getting at a glance, and Karl's post was referring to those medals from the past. New ones are also using the same colors as the old ones to indicate their rank.

Outside of the basics, the medals blend together. This is partly because of how many there actually are, and partly because the colors for those medals share a lot of the same. The visual style of all of the medals is very well done though. edit: A lot of those extra medals are for specific game types as well, so they wouldn't show up unless you were playing that game type.

Bry0

Any word on the Halo 4 cutscene audio being improved? On the 360 it sounds like the cutscene audio was a super low quality to fit it onto the discs.

Fuchsdh

Any word on the Halo 4 cutscene audio being improved? On the 360 it sounds like the cutscene audio was a super low quality to fit it onto the discs.

You mean the compression? Pretty sure that was an intentional stylistic choice. Personally, even if Cortana is inside Chief's head, it sounded weird to have her sound like she was coming at you through a long tube.

Bry0

You mean the compression? Pretty sure that was an intentional stylistic choice. Personally, even if Cortana is inside Chief's head, it sounded weird to have her sound like she was coming at you through a long tube.

Well, during cutscenes dialogue tended to sound fine including cortana's voice, but sound effects like foot steps, explosions, armor clanking, all sounded like a low bitrate mp3 file. I always attributed it to compressed audio to fit it on the disc, not so much a stylistic choice. I was hoping blu-ray would help alleviate the issue with some higher quality cutscene audio.

something im quite curious about for the wednesday livestream is how fast or slow the matchmaking will work, id love to see it being a fast and clean procedure
(incase its actually online and not LAN, then also ofc there are probably only a handfull of devs and testers online for the matchmaking)
searching for a game in the previous Halo titles usually took quite a while, with the benefits of a new console and dedicated servers the matchmaking might be faster than ever before

Nowise10

I would hope that wasn't an intentional stylistic choice. The audio, specially with gaming headphones, sounds just really bad. Cortana sounding like she does is a choice, but the music, and other sounds, sound like what you'd hear for a 240p Youtube video.

Madness

What's the IGN reveal for tomorrow? I know today was the PC maps of CE and 2. Supposed to be Halo 3 and Halo 4 soon too right?

VinFTW

What's the IGN reveal for tomorrow? I know today was the PC maps of CE and 2. Supposed to be Halo 3 and Halo 4 soon too right?

Walkthrough of Bloodline with Max Hoberman.

Halo 3 and Halo 4 campaign/MP footage next week and that Wednesday Halo 1 livestream with viewer requests.

dunno if mentioned before but in the IGN 8 maps video you can see that HCE has no "beep" hitsounds like on the PC anymore
im fine with that, hitsounds can work like a motion tracker when throwing a grenade into a room and listen to the beep then
on the other hand the playlists probably will all be with radar anyhow lol, could have as well just left it in for the hit registration confirmation

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
dunno if mentioned before but in the IGN 8 maps video you can see that HCE has no "beep" hitsounds like on the PC anymore
im fine with that, hitsounds can work like a motion tracker when throwing a grenade into a room and listen to the beep then
on the other hand the playlists probably will all be with radar anyhow lol

DOUBLE RADAR.

It's radar that shows up as a brightly lit medal every time it detects a bad guy/ And takes over your screen if it's a team member.

Fotos

I'm bumper jumper myself, but I cant for the life of me remember, was there really nothing bound to X in bumper jumper?

I could't remember either. Odd. I've been using Bumper Jumper since Reach and I had to just look up if X is usually bound to something.

Bumper Jumper is the supreme control scheme btw.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
DOUBLE RADAR.

It's radar that shows up as a brightly lit medal every time it detects a bad guy/ And takes over your screen if it's a team member.

But can you distinguish between the two at a glance?

Halo PC maps, campaign scoring with a bunch of awesome complementary features, achievement list, Halo CE and Halo 2 1080p60fps footage.

Thanks. Just reading those achievements, noticed there's a lot of "Kill X Enemies", will there be in-game tracking like ODST for this? (Sorry if this has already been discussed)

http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/10/...lection-everything-you-need-to-know-ign-first

This will bring you up to date and visit it each day as they're posting updates each day :)

I just got so much more hyped for this game. Goodbye outside world!

Thanks. Just reading those achievements, noticed there's a lot of "Kill X Enemies", will there be in-game tracking like ODST for this? (Sorry if this has already been discussed)

From the video about campaign ranking, when they were briefly in the achievements section, it looked like there was some kind of tracking, but it's not 100% confirmed.

Halo Maps You've Probably Never Played

and with map voting you never will. what majority is going to vote for a map like infinity?

Well, considering how big they are (to accommodate larger player counts), I'm assuming most if not all of these maps will be BTB maps. They stand a bit better of a chance there.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I really wish MCC was getting a custom games browser.

le sigh

II SHABUTIE II

Neo Member
Well, considering how big they are (to accommodate larger player counts), I'm assuming most if not all of these maps will be BTB maps. They stand a bit better of a chance there.

Don't you worry..... BTB will contain at nice chunk of maps, but we will get to play Blood Gulch, Coagulation, Sandtrap, Valhalla, and Ragnarok nearly every game. I'm just hoping Sidewinder, Containment, Relic and Terminal have decent weighting in BTB.

Madness

I really wish MCC was getting a custom games browser.

le sigh

Or at least toggleable settings. For example, only find games that are only these maps, only flag games for objective, only play with people who have all DLC. I think coupled with a custom games browser, the only problem you could ever have is taking longer to find games no?

antigoon

I'm coming to terms with the fact that I'm probably going to be awful at these games.

Haven't played seriously in SOOOO long. No console FPS to practice on either, really.

Madness

I'm coming to terms with the fact that I'm probably going to be awful at these games.

Haven't played seriously in SOOOO long. No console FPS to practice on either, really.

Yep, feel the same way. There is a whole new generation of kids who will probably play these games better than I ever did. Hopefully, I can at least relearn the game quickly so I'm not embarrassing myself.

One thing I am curious about, how betrayals will work. It got out of control at times in Reach and I never remember it being so bad in Halo 2 or Halo 3. The last thing I want to do is have some 13 year old who wasn't even born when CE came out, betray me over power weapons, vehicles, or try and grief me. I'd rather keep friendly fire on, but hope they come down hard on people who betray or grief all the time.

FyreWulff

Team Objective now includes Oddball, Ricochet, King of the Hill, Team Regicide, Dominion Light, and Extraction, ensuring that all of your favorite game types are available, and also that all achievements are achievable.

stahp

Top Bottom