• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The giant DEFEND and CAPTURE labels are stupid, but I honestly stopped noticing them within a few minutes of watching the footage.

I found myself yelling at my computer multiple times over how bad that player was, though, jesus.

BigShow36

With the idiots I always see in objective based games across several games, I'm totally okay with them hammering it in to play the objective. It might get annoying but some people really don't get it.

No, they just choose to play it a certain way, and no amount of annoying text is going to change that.

Magwik

Banned
With the idiots I always see in objective based games across several games, I'm totally okay with them hammering it in to play the objective. It might get annoying but some people really don't get it.

Hand holding isn't going to make it any better though. It only hinders everyone else. You getting stuck with bad teammates isn't something that should be fixed by making everything easier for those teammates, but should be fixed by having a proper matchmaking system so you get competent team members.

ultimota

Also do we need a 10 second explanation of CTF at the start of every single game? Do people really not know what "capture the flag" means or something? Then you have CAPTURE and DEFEND in big bolded letters just sitting on your screen at all times in case the player is extra stupid or something. Is there really a need for 3 separate indicators that your flag is taken? One next to the mini map, one under your shields in big bold letters, and then there is the audible telling you that it is taken. It's an absurd amount.

The audio at the start doesn't really bother me but the size of the CAPTURE and DEFEND does. I don't mind having them just dial back the font size a bit.

This is probably the only real issue i've had with MCC outside of the population split caused by having 5 MP games

Sephzilla

I really hope that the 20 GB day one patch is going to be available for download early as a separate download. That would help out all if the physical purchase people immensely

Madness

It's crazy that 50 gig dual layer Blu-ray discs are already being filled to the max.

I wonder what the 25 gig update will ultimately be. I don't know if there will be a midnight launch where I am. Surprisingly there has been little fanfare for this Halo.

As for the CAPTURE, DEFEND, PROTECT I am hopeful those can be turned off or removed eventually. Just like when they first showed us H2A gameplay it had the white text in middle of screen, +100 headshot etc.

Booties

Banned
I dunno man, the first time I played halo 2 CTF I knew exactly what was going on in 1 game.

What is the boom skull? I just got that for buying through the smartglass app.

It's crazy that 50 gig dual layer Blu-ray discs are already being filled to the max.

I wonder what the 25 gig update will ultimately be. I don't know if there will be a midnight launch where I am. Surprisingly there has been little fanfare for this Halo.

Final Fantasy XIV will break PSN.

It evens kicks Yourexwife from a normal Party chat

antigoon

Gosh that CTF announcer and giant white text is really...obnoxious.

Edit: I also think Bloodline looks SO MUCH better than what that original screenshot suggested. Still too brown, but I wouldn't say it's bad or anything.

Magwik

Banned
Man, I don't mind the earth tone colors but man its like the entire thing is just brown. Couldnt they add some greens or something?

You'd think 2 years after Halo 4 criticism they would add something that isn't 3 shades of brown to their color pallet.

Sephzilla

That 20 GB bullshit literally depresses me assuming they don't do something to aide physical buyers. I don't want to have an inferior digital version that I can't set next to all of my other Halo stuff just so I can actually play the game the day it comes out.

Capture the Flag -> Start Game -> 3, 2, 1...

krustygetsbusted_12.jpg

"A volley of musketry flamed, thundered, roared! A profound silence followed, broken only by the approaching footsteps of the third brigade.' Next week, Chapter 35 of the Man in the Iron Mask."

VinFTW

Yeah I gotta agree...

The GIANT white text should be removed. Just show the Blue/Red flag icons, that should be obvious what to do with that... (defend/capture).

I liked the "sounds" for capturing/dropping the flag from Halo 2 rather than the obnoxious voice telling me EVERY LITTLE thing.

And yes, the instructions at the beginning are too much.

Some minor things, but should be changed.

Why, when we already have a light ground vehicle that has forward facing guns controlled by the driver, the Ghost, do we need a GunGoose?

Why, when we already have an aerial vehicle that has forward facing guns controlled by the pilot, the Banshee, do we need the Hornet?

AlStrong

hmm... outrage aside, I'm kinda curious to see how the decision making process is - focus groups? Internal feedback? Amount of control from 343i etc.

A number of things being complained about seem a tad obvious. :s

Why, when we already have a light ground vehicle that has forward facing guns controlled by the driver, the Ghost, do we need a GunGoose?

Why, when we already have an aerial vehicle that has forward facing guns controlled by the pilot, the Banshee, do we need the Hornet?

To be fair, in both cases, the human variant does mean additional player ferrying, but yeah, the Covenant counterparts would now seem a tad redundant if a map featured both. I suppose that does leave some options open for vehicle sets/map design (e.g. not being able to transport more teammates for a gametype).

*shrug*

• Terrible text.
  • Brown.
  • BR is just as much do do butter as it ever has been, especially on BTB maps.
  • Shotgun right outside the base with........ 24 shots.
  • Silenced SMG that you can dual wield, just like the regular SMG. Doesn't have a scope.
  • Mancannons replacing teleporters.
  • Lack of Banshee and Scorpion.. MEH
  • No Magnum footage ;[
  • etc.
I probably won't be voting for this map, but it looks alright. Some of the changes are cool though, like providing more cover in those open areas.

EDIT:
You guys are silly if you really think that DEFEND/CAPTURE text is final.
Oh? Source.

I probably hold the unpopular opinion but..

-Putting man cannons in is not ideal. It ruins an element of stealth/silence that teleports provide, which is nice for a large map.

-The EMP sounds cool on paper, but I can see it getting frustrating fast. Looks like your own derpy team mates are going to disable your own vehicles most of the time.... Probably over thinking it, but the fact that it doesn't affect guns/spartan shields is illogical (ya I'm over thinking that one)

-While the map looks "nice", the colors looks really off to the point of being distracting. The sun is "out" but not really shining in any way, the sky is more gray then it is blue and it's overall very hazy everywhere. There is a reason why the old games (halo 1 and 2 especially) still "pop" so much...they are clean and bright when appropriate.

-The 3 tree replacements look like...wait, what is it even supposed to be? Just looks like junk placed against a canyon wall.

-Why are there huge 'CAPTURE THE FLAG', 'DEFEND THE FLAG' UI elements in your face the whole time? Might be helpful the first game for a noob, but veterans are gonna have temper tantrums about that.

Those things might seem minor, but they will be constantly in the back/front of my mind as I play.

TheOddOne

That's not a patch. It's content. The game is designed to run as a single, unified product, digital is seamless obviously, but we also wanted disc users to have the same experience, without swapping discs. Since the bulk of it is MP or MP related, the logic is sound. There will ALSO be a TU in there, but that in itself is a tiny fraction of the content.

We realize that this isn't ideal for everyone, but it's the path to the smoothest eventual experience.

Mind if I ask you what your specific problem situation is? Disc? Bandwidth cap? Slow speed? Just curious and would like to provide deeper guidance.

If fixes were required for Campaign, they would be very small, but that's not the case. All four campaigns will run directly from the disc without the content update. As will some custom game features. Again, the bulk of the CU is MP and MP related.

Top Bottom