• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

I'm going both. I got to support the practice of throwing everything fans could have wanted and more in one package.

I thought the same thing. But being able to just load into halo with out a disc is awesome. I figured I still have the disc of all the halos so I can still go back and play them on their original consoles if I wanted to.

jax1oex8s.gif

You've convinced me. Looks like I'll head down to Gamestop after work today and cancel my preorder.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
So stoked about the going gold / preloading announcements! I just wish they'd kept the postponed Europe date so I could play without Elzar for a while.

DJ Gunner

Big thing about the preloading is that you can play instantly since the patch will preload also. Even with good internet, it's probably going to be 2am (assuming midnight release) before I could play with the disc. I also prefer physical media- but I dont want to wait two hours to play on the 11th. lol

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I believe it's saying that 45GB is downloadable early, and that 20GB will be required on release day.

I believe it's also saying that Spops can be flushed down a toilet because no one is going to download that over the Destiny DLC. Also, spops is poop.

I would rather play Spartan Ops than any more Destiny.

Magwik

Banned

It is just CA's boner for the color brown. It's awful.
EDIT: Also do we need a 10 second explanation of CTF at the start of every single game? Do people really not know what "capture the flag" means or something? Then you have CAPTURE and DEFEND in big bolded letters just sitting on your screen at all times in case the player is extra stupid or something. Is there really a need for 3 separate indicators that your flag is taken? One next to the mini map, one under your shields in big bold letters, and then there is the audible telling you that it is taken. It's an absurd amount.

Akai__

Certain Affinity please use more than 2 colors on your remade maps and stop using those horrible filters.

I'm not a fan of CA's work at all. :/

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So stoked about the going gold / preloading announcements! I just wish they'd kept the postponed Europe date so I could play without Elzar for a while.

S'gonna depend where in Yerp tho. Some Yerps is more flexible than other Yerps. (we can't control retail dates in some places)

I'm sorry but going two feet outside the base, being surrounded by rocks to get a shotgun isn't a 'risk'.

That shotgun in the middle is the way to go for weapon placements.

Also great news on no tanks.

Also THEY KEEP GETTING ON TO THE SIDE SEAT OF THE HORNET, YYY

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
OMG. The Master Chief Collcection is now downloading. (45,63GB hell yeah)

omg

Irony is I can't do this till I get mah code.

But here babbies, first one to use won't be all that disappointed (it is not Halo related):

XMFRC-FJF7G-MKY4V-KCQV9-Y9QVZ

dwells

Can you preload if you're buying a disc-based copy? Basically just download all the disc data and the 20GB patch ahead of time so it's good to go when you have the disc in?

Havok

Fuel rods with 10 starting shots, an EMP button with a huge effect radius, mancannon replacements on a sniper-dominant map...dunno about this.

I think the Hornet is a misguided choice. In Halo 3, it really only worked on Avalanche, and for very specific reasons: they removed the missiles on that variant so it was primarily a transport, but more importantly the map design was such that the Hornet couldn't travel as the crow flies and had to take the long way around - the effect on gameplay being that players could cut off a flag run if they went through the middle with appropriate reaction time. With Coagulation, it's a straight, five second flight where the flag drops right onto the capture point. There's not really the same capability for defensive players to mount an appropriate and effective response once the flag is on the vehicle. It just isn't the same playing environment, and I don't think it's a particularly great inclusion.

Kibbles

YOU MAY DOWNLOAD THE GAME FROM XBOX LIVE BEFORE THEN, BUT IT WILL NOT BE PLAYABLE UNTIL 12:01 AM EST ON THE RELEASE DATE.
Hmm maybe I will go digital, that's 11:01 am central time aww yess. If I got the disc , The 20GB update would take nearly a whole day to download anyway so might as well.

Might have to start downloading between billing cycles though cause data caps lol

BigShow36

It is just CA's boner for the color brown. It's awful.
EDIT: Also do we need a 10 second explanation of CTF at the start of every single game? Do people really not know what "capture the flag" means or something? Then you have CAPTURE and DEFEND in big bolded letters just sitting on your screen at all times in case the player is extra stupid or something. Is there really a need for 3 separate indicators that your flag is taken? One next to the mini map, one under your shields in big bold letters, and then there is the audible telling you that it is taken. It's an absurd amount.

It's like they design the entire experience around someone playing the game for the first time. I get it, you want the game to be "accessible" (even though I disagree with the idea of overwhelming people with information), but the vast majority of people playing the game are going to understand how CTF works.

Fracas

#fuckonami
So Spartan Ops is going to be an additional download?

I never actually finished it. I know a dude who wants to play all the games, so we'll prob end up going through it.

singhr1

Fuel rods with 10 starting shots, an EMP button with a huge effect radius, mancannon replacements on a sniper-dominant map...dunno about this.

I think the Hornet is a misguided choice. In Halo 3, it really only worked on Avalanche, and for very specific reasons: they removed the missiles on that variant so it was primarily a transport, but more importantly the map design was such that the Hornet couldn't travel as the crow flies and had to take the long way around - the effect on gameplay being that players could cut off a flag run if they went through the middle with appropriate reaction time. With Coagulation, it's a straight, five second flight where the flag drops right onto the capture point. It just isn't the same playing environment, and I don't think it's a particularly great inclusion.

Give it the benefit of the doubt, we haven't played it yet. It could play great. If it doesn't, give feedback and they could replace the weapons, man-cannons, or vehicles in the rotation.

Granadier

omg

Irony is I can't do this till I get mah code.

But here babbies, first one to use won't be all that disappointed (it is not Halo related):

XMFRC-FJF7G-MKY4V-KCQV9-Y9QVZ

I am too slowwwwwwwwww

Can you preload if you're buying a disc-based copy? Basically just download all the disc data and the 20GB patch ahead of time so it's good to go when you have the disc in?

How would you "prove" that you own the game if you don't have the disc or digital copy? They wouldn't let you download the content without proving you've purchased it.

Fuchsdh

So Spartan Ops is going to be an additional download?

I never actually finished it. I know a dude who wants to play all the games, so we'll prob end up going through it.

The story and gameplay pick up nicely with Ep 6 and on. It's fairly easy to blast through.

dwells

Well, during cutscenes dialogue tended to sound fine including cortana's voice, but sound effects like foot steps, explosions, armor clanking, all sounded like a low bitrate mp3 file. I always attributed it to compressed audio to fit it on the disc, not so much a stylistic choice. I was hoping blu-ray would help alleviate the issue with some higher quality cutscene audio.

I would hope that wasn't an intentional stylistic choice. The audio, specially with gaming headphones, sounds just really bad. Cortana sounding like she does is a choice, but the music, and other sounds, sound like what you'd hear for a 240p Youtube video.

I'm glad this got brought up - I noticed this immediately when playing Halo 4 and couldn't find a single review that mentioned it. All of the audio had really bad compression artifacts.

dwells

How would you "prove" that you own the game if you don't have the disc or digital copy? They wouldn't let you download the content without proving you've purchased it.

I figured they could let you download the exact same copy of the data as what comes on the disc, the one with the executable that has the flag to check for the disc before launching. As such, the data is useless if you don't own the game.

wwm0nkey

Hmm maybe I will go digital, that's 11:01 am central time aww yess. The 20GB will take nearly a whole day to download anyway so might as well.

Might have to start downloading between billing cycles though cause data caps lol
The 20gb update will predownload too.

Also downloading it now as well, should be fine when I get off work and then it's just a waiting game lol

Granadier

I figured they could let you download the exact same copy of the data as what comes on the disc, the one with the executable that has the flag to check for the disc before launching. As such, the data is useless if you don't own the game.

I'm sure there's someone out there that could figure out how to make it not useless.

It would be a "I'll give you data, for dollars on Tuesday" situation.

Magwik

Banned
It's like they design the entire experience around someone playing the game for the first time. I get it, you want the game to be "accessible" (even though I disagree with the idea of overwhelming people with information), but the vast majority of people playing the game are going to understand how CTF works.

But even people who have never touched Halo know what "Capture The Flag" means. Many people first play it in grade school. I can understand something like Oddball, but the explanation of how the gametype works should be in the hopper description or even on the loading screen where people should be learning more about the game anyways. It makes even less sense when those playing and buying MCC are mostly going to be long-term fans of either Halo 2 itself or the franchise in general, so why overwhelm 99% of the people for an issue that even less than %1 have?

Havok

Give it the benefit of the doubt, we haven't played it yet. It could play great. If it doesn't, give feedback and they could replace the weapons, man-cannons, or vehicles in the rotation.
Oh, I appear to have woken up in 2012 this morning. That's unfortunate.

BigShow36

But even people who have never touched Halo know what "Capture The Flag" means. Many people first play it in grade school. I can understand something like Oddball, but the explanation of how the gametype works should be in the hopper description or even on the loading screen where people should be learning more about the game anyways. It makes even less sense when those playing and buying MCC are mostly going to be long-term fans of either Halo 2 itself or the franchise in general, so why overwhelm 99% of the people for an issue that even less than %1 have?

I absolutely agree with you. A lot of decisions, both big and small, that game developers make are completely asinine.

wwm0nkey

With the idiots I always see in objective based games across several games, I'm totally okay with them hammering it in to play the objective. It might get annoying but some people really don't get it.

Top Bottom