• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Nowise10

If I preload this and get this boom skull, is it possible to get the bandanna skull later on? (as that was a pre-order bonus from EB Games here in Australia)

I want that infinite ammo skull as it will make Legendary so much easier, but I also want the convenience of playing this as soon as the clock strikes over (plus no discs and whatnot)

This is gross.

And all preorder skulls will be unlocked on December 12th. I believe.

Omni

This is gross.

And all preorder skulls will be unlocked on December 12th. I believe.

Hey. I'm just thinking about that damn opening room on Gravemind. It's been said before but you can spend what seems like hours in there with just a damn Brute Plasma Rifle because you ran out of ammo with the Carbine. Or it didn't drop/seemingly disappeared for some reason.

And oh? Hate to be that guy, but do we have a link or anything?

Fuchsdh

I hope doing such an abominable thing isn't valid to the achievement.

I quickly discovered in CEA that Bandanna actually turned into a bigger risk than reward. My first try through "beat the library in 30 minutes or less" I turned bandanna on and realized with CE's chain reactions I was more likely to kill myself by an errant spammed grenade than really running low on ammo.

Impala26

I feel like the Bomb Planted twitch chat discussion was decent at summing this up. All 3 people besides "Golden Boy" thought that 343 is taking Halo in a terrible direction. Frank would probably describe these attitudes as "elitist."

Golden boy expressed that hit markers and crap are features that a lot of gamers will pick up and feel some level of familiarity and therefore like it more. However...I think this begs the question and I think it's a logical fallacy: Does adding features such as large in your face objective markers and text, hit markers, grenade indicators, etc really bring in new players (especially from the COD realm)?

I'm genuinely curious...

Hmm...

Can't really say for sure, but it certainly seems like 343 listened to fans when they said that we don't want unbalanced starts, loadouts, armor abilities, etc. When I first played Halo 4, I truly thought it was a cool addition, but as time went on I could see how it sort of "broke" maps and how Halo in general was meant to be played. Infinity Slayer in particular became glorified Fiesta Slayer.

I think another issue is that, even if 343 implements a new feature into Halo games be it a new weapon, the yet-to-be-revealed "Spartan Abilities", etc. how likely is it that people will criticize them for it for being "not the Halo they remember" even if they're objectively 'good' additions? I'm not agreeing with ALL the decisions they've made regarding H2A multi (like I said earlier the objective text doesn't need to be so large or permanent), but one has to admit that 343 has to stradle a really fine line regarding pleasing the old guard of fans as well as letting the series evolve even if only in gradual minute ways AND making the game appealing to new players.

Impala26

I just saw the IGN bit on Blood Gulch.

Why did 343 make flipping the hornet into a 3 minute mini-game mid match? Seems like a weird creative decision.

Stuff like this happened to me on RARE occasions in Halo 3, but I think the most "vehicle flip attempts" I ever had to do to correctly right it was maybe like THREE. Also, after the first flip, there's a solid 2-3 seconds where you can clearly read "Press X to PILOT Hornet" before it continues flipping on its other side.

Obscured

As I mentioned before, I think there is value to informing newer players or reminding players what they should be doing (even if they are going to refuse, just because it is a hard problem to get people to act in a manner that you would prefer doesn't mean you shouldn't try), but I like options, so ideally those super advanced players can just turn off prompts.

Baring that, this would be another way to go. (not that expect them to alter it, just thinking through other ways it could work)

l4MBUzk.gif

(forgive the hasty photoshop job please)

Another thought would be similar to when you hit the back button on Gears of War (so let's say the view button on XB1) and you see those prompts. Depends on if you want to make the priority on introducing (and welcoming) newer players or on more established players who may be more comfortable making their own UI adjustments.

Now need to catch up back through this thread.

edit: and caught up, and now slightly bummed

VinFTW

But can you really compare F2P(ish) PC games to AAA-console game? I would argue the audiences differ a lot.

I would argue people sometimes spend FAR more on those games than 60$ though, but it is a different situation.

IMO, there's no reason why a good competitive base Halo game wouldn't be popular with everybody.

Impala26

As I mentioned before, I think there is value to informing newer players or reminding players what they should be doing (even if they are going to refuse, just because it is a hard problem to get people to act in a manner that you would prefer doesn't mean you shouldn't try), but I like options, so ideally those super advanced players can just turn off prompts.

Baring that, this would be another way to go. (not that expect them to alter it, just thinking through other ways it could work)

l4MBUzk.gif

Another thought would be similar to when you hit the back button on Gears of War (so let's say the view button on XB1) and you see those prompts. Depends on if you want to make the priority on introducing (and welcoming) newer players or on more established players who may be more comfortable making their own UI adjustments.

Now need to catch up back through this thread.

This is EXACTLY what I had in mind! Or at least, have the text hang around for the first 5 seconds or so of the match to give newbie players their bearings. Hell, even take a page out of Bungie's book with Destiny and your Ghost companion and have the Back/Select button bring up the promps again for like 5-10 seconds if people were still confused.

tootsi666

I would argue people sometimes spend FAR more on those games than 60$ though, but it is a different situation.

IMO, there's no reason why a good competitive base Halo game wouldn't be popular with everybody.
It is easier to get into a competive game if you can try it for free (or for a small entry price). IMO competive, esports focused Halo can of course be popular, but I just don't see it attracting +100k players daily.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Hmm...

Can't really say for sure, but it certainly seems like 343 listened to fans when they said that we don't want unbalanced starts, loadouts, armor abilities, etc. When I first played Halo 4, I truly thought it was a cool addition, but as time went on I could see how it sort of "broke" maps and how Halo in general was meant to be played. Infinity Slayer in particular became glorified Fiesta Slayer.

I think another issue is that, even if 343 implements a new feature into Halo games be it a new weapon, the yet-to-be-revealed "Spartan Abilities", etc. how likely is it that people will criticize them for it for being "not the Halo they remember" even if they're objectively 'good' additions? I'm not agreeing with ALL the decisions they've made regarding H2A multi (like I said earlier the objective text doesn't need to be so large or permanent), but one has to admit that 343 has to stradle a really fine line regarding pleasing the old guard of fans as well as letting the series evolve even if only in gradual minute ways AND making the game appealing to new players.

You can evolve Halo in subtle ways without alienating your existing audience while still keeping it noob-friendly. The changes to Coagulation are a good example. Making speed boost one of the power-ups, adding guns to the Mongoose, changing up the base set of vehicles and weapons, adding more cover. These are all changes that when added together make a truly different game that doesn't forget why people played it in the first place. The reality is that every step that brought Halo 4 closer to Call of Duty was a mistake, because Call of Duty players have a very short attention span and will never stick with your franchise unless it's called Call of Duty. They did what they did because attracting the biggest FPS playerbase in the world means more sales on day 1. Unfortunately all those people stopped playing after a few weeks. Didn't matter though because all their money was already in Microsoft's hands.

Having a hilarious amount of HUD and audio clutter to explain shit that is obvious and self-explanatory is just another one of those things that attempts to attract genuinely casual players. You know, people who angrily fiddle with a controller because it has too many buttons. People who can't figure out that capture the flag means capture the flag. People who inexplicably bought the Xbone to voice control their TVs and decided to dip their toes into the overwhelming world of video games. People who need to be reminded they did something right by being spammed with lots of extra medals.

All I can say to this has already been said. Make it optional.

Magwik

Banned
You can evolve Halo in subtle ways without alienating your existing audience while still keeping it noob-friendly. The changes to Coagulation are a good example. Making speed boost one of the power-ups, adding guns to the Mongoose, changing up the base set of vehicles and weapons, adding more cover. These are all changes that when added together make a truly different game that doesn't forget why people played it in the first place. The reality is that every step that brought Halo 4 closer to Call of Duty was a mistake, because Call of Duty players have a very short attention span and will never stick with your franchise unless it's called Call of Duty. They did what they did because attracting the biggest FPS playerbase in the world means more sales on day 1. Unfortunately all those people stopped playing after a few weeks. Didn't matter though because all their money was already in Microsoft's hands.

Having a hilarious amount of HUD and audio clutter to explain shit that is obvious and self-explanatory is just another one of those things that attempts to attract genuinely casual players. You know, people who angrily fiddle with a controller because it has too many buttons. People who can't figure out that capture the flag means capture the flag. People who inexplicably bought the Xbone to voice control their TVs and decided to dip their toes into the overwhelming world of video games. People who need to be reminded they did something right by being spammed with lots of extra medals.

And it only becomes worse when they add stuff like this but then continue to sell it as the best thing ever for long time fans of the franchise. Aside from AA, it is like they learned absolutely nothing from Halo 4.

Blueblur1

I like the geometry changes to Coagulation. Still don't like the colors and the visual design of bases but oh well. I'm still holding out hope that the weapon models and first person player models are improved in the final product. The models they've shown this far are a step down from Halo 3 models in terms of quality.

Impala26

I'm with you, especially about the size of the text of the objective markers, I just feel like GAF is being a little too stickley with 343 about Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer, which let's not kid ourselves here, is really 343's testbed for what might be to come for Halo 5.

Make it optional indeed if they're not going to change it the way some of us here have prescribed. I've known how to play CTF since this show was still relevant:

220px-SaluteYOurShorts.png

FyreWulff

Showing players what to do isn't the problem. The more the merrier, and it doesn't dumb down the game, but make it more accessible. It can also provide clarity as to what to do currently due to the flexibility of Megalo. If you have a gametype scripted that spawns in flags after 50 kills, it's helpful to be told what is to be done with them.

Just, you know, hide the text like 10 seconds after you spawn and make it smaller. I imagine 4-split gets cluttered pretty fast in objective otherwise.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I object to opinions being stated as if they're objective facts. There's seldom any "I think..." when I am irritated by something, but more than that, I'm ALWAYS irritated, no matter what the game, when the user base is deliberately exclusionary or dismissive of newcomers.

I, for obvious reasons, WANT new players to play Halo, even old school Halo.

Anyway, I am not going to argue about it because as usual I'm right and y'all is wrong.
There's lots of games with highly customizable HUDs. It'd be cool to see Halo have more options in that regard. Overall, I admire the efforts you all are putting into accessibility. It's something we all benefit from -- we all want the player base to grow, and for new players to stick around. I think you all have sometimes tried to do that in ways that cheapen or clash with the experience, and at times you've done it in really intuitive, sophisticated ways that feels conducive with everything else the game is about. Keep experimenting, and thanks for putting up with our "feedback".

danwarb

I like the geometry changes to Coagulation. Still don't like the colors and the visual design of bases but oh well. I'm still holding out hope that the weapon models and first person player models are improved in the final product. The models they've shown this far are a step down from Halo 3 models in terms of quality.

I think 3 had more natural lighting and materials and player models fit the various environments better in that regard, but weapons have fancier shaders and fewer rough edges here.

Silky

Banned
My Halo 4 copy has a burn mark in it from someone kicking my 360. I can still play H4 MP but there's no sound playing. :(

GrizzNKev

Banned
I think 3 had more natural lighting and materials and player models fit the various environments better in that regard, but weapons have fancier shaders and fewer rough edges here.

The shaders being used for Spartans still look as weird as they did in Halo 4.

Madness

I look forward to seeing him stream ; )

Accidentally clicked Frankie's username the other day and did a double take on the post count. Stinkles loves this place

Don't think he loves it much anymore. He had said he avoids gaming side and that it was harder and harder to come here, just sticks to Halo or Off-topic. Hopefully if he doesn't want to post till launch, he still lurks and reads as info is now released quickly up until launch and we can chime in.

Fuchsdh

Cut gravemind kill mission confirmed

Of all the questionable elements of Halo 3's story, the fact that the Gravemind is just a growling pile of tentacles in a single level is bizarre to me. I don't see how you could understand what the hell's going on in that game if you hadn't played Halo 2. Especially since I think they say the name "Gravemind" only in the final level.

ElRenoRaven

Don't think he loves it much anymore. He had said he avoids gaming side and that it was harder and harder to come here, just sticks to Halo or Off-topic. Hopefully if he doesn't want to post till launch, he still lurks and reads as info is now released quickly up until launch and we can chime in.

I kind of feel sorry for him. I know a lot of us don't like everything 343 is doing but I do think Frankie does get a bit too much of the brunt of that dislike. At the same time I think we can be pretty vicious at times. It has to get hard and tiring to come into a thread and see your hard work pretty much shit on for some of the smallest things.

There's lots of games with highly customizable HUDs. It'd be cool to see Halo have more options in that regard. Overall, I admire the efforts you all are putting into accessibility. It's something we all benefit from -- we all want the player base to grow, and for new players to stick around. I think you all have sometimes tried to do that in ways that cheapen or clash with the experience, and at times you've done it in really intuitive, sophisticated ways that feels conducive with everything else the game is about. Keep experimenting, and thanks for putting up with our "feedback".

Good post.

Akai__

Halo 3's epilogue only played, if you haven't skipped the credits, so it must be the epilogue, which is just being counted as mission now.

Doubt it's an extra level.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Halo 3's epilogue only played, if you haven't skipped the credits, so it must be the epilogue, which is just being counted as mission now.

Doubt it's an extra level.

Yeah, I do remember Frank saying you could choose the level or rally point you wanted to jump directly to a cutscene. That's probably what it's there for.

CyReN

11th mission (for Halo 3) going to be the legendary ending cutscene so it ties into Halo 4 beginning easier.

My guess.

Top Bottom