• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

VinFTW

Feels so good. Ready to do it all again in MCC.

mother-of-god-super-troopers-gif-i3.gif

Caja 117

Oh come on!
Surely the only semi-defendable reason for it not being a second disc is that they needed to print the discs before the patch was/is ready?

That does not seem to be the reason as Frankie said "The game is designed to run as a single, unified product" even if aparently he was talking about swaping disc, it very much confirms that this content is ready.

He also mentioned this "Mind if I ask you what your specific problem situation is? Disc? Bandwidth cap? Slow speed? Just curious and would like to provide deeper guidance"

He is most defenetly aware of what people are debating about and probrably is looking into it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've only gone out of my way to go for Halo achievements a few times. That "prevent yourself from dying of fall damage by getting an assassination" one from Reach was probably the one I went for hardest. Otherwise, I just let them come naturally. Which means I'm missing A LOT of them, lol. Some of the ones from Halo 3 are so terrible, and I never even had all the Halo 4 DLC to have a chance at those.

danwarb

Maybe the DRM makes it awkward and they're limited to one key/disc? I've no idea, but I guess a download content update would be the easy way around something like that.

Akai__

I think Halo Wars was a pretty great game. Should have been ported to PC long time ago.

Achievements are okay, except the General achievement. Even if you are boosting that one it will take you ages.

But do you have Recon
http://cf067b.medialib.glogster.com/media/d3/d3c489cf4ea6fa06bec4de6430bbc53a8a71a4cba267ccdcf5166e7f129a93d4/h3mlgyall3.jpgIMG][/QUOTE]

That's not even Recon in the picture.

CliQ

So I'll be the oddball here and say that I don't think 4v4 should be considered the standard. I still think pro games should be 8v8 and incorporate all of the sandbox (yes vehicles too).

I know that in Halo: CE there are a lot of cool skill tricks you can do with vehicles and that could make for some pretty interesting CTF games.

Here's a link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNTnIwLtHF4) to some of the old school vehicle tricks you could do and that's just scratching the surface.

So I'll be the oddball here and say that I don't think 4v4 should be considered the standard. I still think pro games should be 8v8 and incorporate all of the sandbox (yes vehicles too).

I know that in Halo: CE there are a lot of cool skill tricks you can do with vehicles and that could make for some pretty interesting CTF games.

Here's a link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNTnIwLtHF4) to some of the old school vehicle tricks you could do and that's just scratching the surface.

SSound cool on paper but getting 8 humans together to practice and go to events would be nearly impossible for most.

It's a problem of balance. The larger the sandbox, the harder it is to make sure everything fits together.

CliQ

It's a problem of balance. The larger the sandbox, the harder it is to make sure everything fits together.

See I feel like the more you add the more unpredictable things become. Which could result in some really incredible plays. I don't know maybe it's me but noscoping people and spawn trapping is getting a little old for me.

See I feel like the more you add the more unpredictable things become. Which could result in some really incredible plays. I don't know maybe it's me but noscoping people and spawn trapping is getting a little old for me.

It could result in some incredible plays, but it could also result in incredible predictability. Tournament play has a way of filtering out all the less than optimal options. Increasing the scope makes it that much more likely that someone finds something hideously broken. A smaller sandbox makes it more likely that they can make more of it viable.

CliQ

Well, it's just a thought. Halo has a lot to offer, it's weird to me how little of it is used in tournaments.

Thank you Halogaf for not completely ripping me a part and calling me a noob.

Most teams express how difficult it is to get a team together, make time for practice with everyone's schedules. That's why doubles is incredibly appealing for people. You just need on other person and you are good.

8 v 8 sounds cool, but would be way too hard to manage a team. It's just not going to happen.

Well, it's just a thought. Halo has a lot to offer, it's weird to me how little of it is used in tournaments.

Nah variety is cool for sure. The more focused stream lined nature of Halo is STILL unique compared to other games out there despite it not using the full sandbox.

Ein Bear

Well this is disappointing. I was having a bunch of friends over on launch day for a LAN party, and I really doubt everyone is going to be able to get their systems updated on the day. That really sucks :(

FyreWulff

Because the biggest tournaments had their gametypes determined arbitrarily by one person instead of community consensus

belushy

Banned
Because the biggest tournaments had their gametypes determined arbitrarily by one person instead of community consensus

Yep... doesn't help that the pros never want to branch out and try new stuff either. Oh well... I still enjoy comp Halo, even if it lacks a bit of variety.

This is the thing I disliked about MLG as Halo games gave more control to the player and Bungie kept watering down the sandbox; it was a terrible mix of hardly any weapons good for competitive play (money on the line) and MLG limiting the variety too much as time progressed. That being said, MLG did try incorporating more elements of the sandbox when the games first released though, but probably found it too difficult to maintain that balance (by their standards).

Would the CE Plasma Rifle be a weapon on the map if it was designed like that for Halo 3? I don't know, but CE didn't have Forge and the everything-must-be-100%-symmetrical mentality, and it worked fine for competitive play. Would Chill Out even be allowed for tournaments in today's age? I'd hope so.

FyreWulff

This is the thing I disliked about MLG as Halo games gave more control to the player and Bungie kept watering down the sandbox; it was a terrible mix of hardly any weapons good for competitive play (money on the line) and MLG limiting the variety too much as time progressed. That being said, MLG did try incorporating more elements of the sandbox when the games first released though, but probably found it too difficult to maintain that balance (by their standards).

Would the CE Plasma Rifle be a weapon on the map if it was designed like that for Halo 3? I don't know, but CE didn't have Forge and the everything-must-be-100%-symmetrical mentality, and it worked fine for competitive play. Would Chill Out even be allowed for tournaments in today's age? I'd hope so.

Part of my issue and some other people I know is MLG started diverting so much from the base game that it was watching two separate games, instead of an eyebleeding super hardcore version of what we were playing.

This is what it was like in Halo 1 and 2.

Then in 3, MLG started diverting

Reach MLG had custom Megalo written to it that they were entirely different. It had almost no relation to the game the vast majority of the userbase was playing.

Yep... doesn't help that the pros never want to branch out and try new stuff either. Oh well... I still enjoy comp Halo, even if it lacks a bit of variety.

I posted about this before, but MLG community members had a hard time even getting new maps tested because nobody wanted to play on non-circuit maps

I think the Community Cartographers is a good example of why things shouldn't always be designed from the community.

CCs weren't the sole gatekeepers of matchmaking and had content under the CC name put out that the CCs never worked on. The hardcore community has never gotten a community consensus playlist, it's always been arbitrarily made up by one person.

CCs weren't the sole gatekeepers of matchmaking and had content under the CC name put out that the CCs never worked on. The hardcore community has never gotten a community consensus playlist, it's always been arbitrarily made up by one person.

Maps like Colonnade and Cragmire are the reasons I'm hesitant for community involvement. I bet you could agree with me there.

jem0208

YEYE FIRST PAGE

Wall of Shame:
vt94DOK.png

Pretty hyped up, MCC OT in 3 weeks and it's no where near done yet. Let's hope it's at least better than Fracas' attempt

Holy shit, I made the Wall of Shame o_O

Also yay! I'm unbanned!

I missed a whole week of the new OT :( Going to have to do some catching up to make the next wall.

Edit: Damn, people are getting way too worked up about the whole patch thing.

VinFTW

Well this is disappointing. I was having a bunch of friends over on launch day for a LAN party, and I really doubt everyone is going to be able to get their systems updated on the day. That really sucks :(

Only one of you needs it. Get an external storage device and transfer it to everyone else.

jem0208

all of the games Campaigns... what about multiplayer?

not being salty, just trying to show that not everything is on the disc like they said it would at e3.
By that I mean once the patch is downloaded, all the games will be playable just by putting the disc in.
Come on dude, I know it sucks, but do you have to infect the OT with this stuff now too?

Also this, there's a gaming side thread for this.

Caja 117

all of the games Campaigns... what about multiplayer?

not being salty, just trying to show that not everything is on the disc like they said it would at e3.

You are not been salty, but "so not all of the games are on the disc? thats false advertisement" sounds like a sarcastic jab.

technically once the patch is installed, (a one time event), everything will play from one disc

a lot of things are said at E3 that doesnt end up in the end product, by that logic, the Xbox one not having allways online is false advertisment as well.

Mix

Why do people have to shit on 343 about physical limitations? the disc is only so big and all this awesome content happens to be bigger. What's the issue here? Would you like less content?

Come on dude, I know it sucks, but do you have to infect the OT with this stuff now too?

fine.

gaiz 343 is the best dev ever. they always listen to the community. lets just be happy they are giving us outdated halo along with the rerelease of the messiah that is Halo 4.

Palmer is a better spartan than chief. Laskey is a nerd.

jem0208

Why do people have to shit on 343 about physical limitations? the disc is only so big and all this awesome content happens to be bigger. What's the issue here? Would you like less content?

I think most people's problem is that they aren't putting the patch on a second disc.

However considering they're probably still working on the patch that would be impossible.

Mix

fine.

gaiz 343 is the best dev ever. they always listen to the community. lets just be happy they are giving us outdated halo along with the rerelease of the messiah that is Halo 4.

Palmer is a better spartan than chief. Laskey is a nerd.

Stop acting like a piece of shit.

Top Bottom