• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Deception

What makes it even worse are the preorder exclusives for buying physical. Sure we'll get some, if not all eventually, but damn if it doesn't sting for both sides of the spectrum.

Burned if you buy digital, burned if you buy physical. Thanks Obama.

You at least get the Boom Skull for pre-ordering digitally.

What makes it even worse are the preorder exclusives for buying physical. Sure we'll get some, if not all eventually, but damn if it doesn't sting for both sides of the spectrum.

As much as timed exclusives suck, they're just that, timed. Just have to pierce the veil and not buy into it.
BOOM SKULL

I don't know, imagine if Halo 5 needs 85 gigs of data, easier to just use two discs rather than have people download that much no? But it seems a moot point when even disc users have to fully install the discs onto their console every time.

I think physical media just wasn't prepared for how quick streaming would be here, and how quickly they'll be limited in terms of storage space themselves. They need 200-500gb discs quickly, especially if they want to have any hope of having a 4K disc market.

It's just a matter of time. Digital media, through either streaming or downloading is both easier for the consumer and cheaper/easier to distribute. It's also not tied to the constraints of the current physical media specs. (Obvious example of the latter is Netflix is already streaming a handful of things in 4K, and they can do that faster than physical media can be created, manufactured, and distributed.)

Madness

And then week 4 halo 5 blowout ohhhhhhhh yeeeeeaaaaahhhhhhhh

Probably in the extreme minority, but I actually don't really want to see any Halo 5. I'd want it to just be a surprise and then information overload the few days before beta goes live. I remember going dark for Halo 3 beyond the few trailers/non-gameplay commercials and I didn't see it until launch night, they had it set up on a 70" Sony SXRD (great at the time), right in front and I was blown away watching someone play Sierra 117.

Halo 5 beta is only 3 weeks, it feels like seeing it now would almost take away from the MCC/H2A in a sense. Of course I admit I'm probably the only one thinking like this.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Probably in the extreme minority, but I actually don't really want to see any Halo 5. I'd want it to just be a surprise and then information overload the few days before beta goes live. I remember going dark for Halo 3 beyond the few trailers/non-gameplay commercials and I didn't see it until launch night, they had it set up on a 70" Sony SXRD (great at the time), right in front and I was blown away watching someone play Sierra 117.

Halo 5 beta is only 3 weeks, it feels like seeing it now would almost take away from the MCC/H2A in a sense. Of course I admit I'm probably the only one thinking like this.

I want to see it, but for all the wrong reasons.

Fuchsdh

I don't know, imagine if Halo 5 needs 85 gigs of data, easier to just use two discs rather than have people download that much no? But it seems a moot point when even disc users have to fully install the discs onto their console every time.

I think physical media just wasn't prepared for how quick streaming would be here, and how quickly they'll be limited in terms of storage space themselves. They need 200-500gb discs quickly, especially if they want to have any hope of having a 4K disc market.

4K discs will basically never happen. Blu-Ray hasn't taken off like DVDs, no one is going to put the money into a format that's unlikely to gain even as much traction as Blu-Ray. It's all about streaming (sucks for the people who prefer hard copies and high quality.) Plus neither console will be giving us 4K gaming this gen.

The preorder skulls are only exclusive until December 12th.
4K discs will basically never happen. Blu-Ray hasn't taken off like DVDs, no one is going to put the money into a format that's unlikely to gain even as much traction as Blu-Ray. It's all about streaming (sucks for the people who prefer hard copies and high quality.) Plus neither console will be giving us 4K gaming this gen.
Hell, if this gen isn't as long as last gen I wouldn't even expect 4k games next gen, it'll probably be 1080p and 1440p with maybe a few 4k games that will probably mostly be ports of older games.
4k Master Chief collection with Halo 5 and 6 added on Xbox Two.

I'm kind of torn. Going into it unspoiled would be great, but on the other hand I need to know NAO. Must... resist... spoilers!

Oh, who am I kidding.

GreyWind

I was watching the PAX video and someone asked about Halo 4 Forge maps from 360 transferring to MCC. He said we could transfer them.

Did the dev who answered misunderstood the question?

Random17

I predict that there will be an incredible amount of complaining once the first information does drop, so I'd rather not see Halo 5 info, either.

Keep it a secret till a week or two before the Beta. Focus on MCC first.

Fuchsdh

I was watching the PAX video and someone asked about Halo 4 Forge maps from 360 transferring to MCC. He said we could transfer them.

He was answering a different question than the one the person asked, yeah. Nothing's transfering.

It's not that WE can transfer them, but if there's going to be community playlists and the like, 343i can transfer over the popular ones for rotation.

For us users/consumers, there is nothing that transfers over.

Madness

But they've already finalized the Blu-ray 4K spec and it comes next year. So far, they've been trying to finish disc sizes to be 66-100gb, and the new players will play normal Blu-ray too. It'll just be like how they pushed 3D on Blu-ray.

The biggest limit on digital/streaming is just sheer bandwidth/quality/data. 4K streaming requires 15 mbps or more download speeds. The average American speed is 7.4 mbps. They're trying to overcome this as Internet speeds keep increasing, better codecs.

I have no doubts streaming is the future, solely on the fact the ease and convenience is so great. Why buy Blu-ray when you can get comparable quality streams anytime. But you can never know.

belushy

Banned
Started watching right when he decided to get off :(

I'm really happy for him lately. Really pulling in the viewers. The hype for Halo is real.

As for Halo 5 beta, I have a feeling we might see something on it during this whole IGN first thing, but not much. Maybe a small little clip of real gameplay but it will probably be something small. We would probably see a big blowout at the VGA/VGX thing since that would go on like a week or two before the beta starts.

Started watching right when he decided to get off :(

I'm really happy for him lately. Really pulling in the viewers. The hype for Halo is real.

As for Halo 5 beta, I have a feeling we might see something on it during this whole IGN first thing, but not much. Maybe a small little clip of real gameplay but it will probably be something small. We would probably see a big blowout at the VGA/VGX thing since that would go on like a week or two before the beta starts.

If there is a VGA/VGX this year. Things have been awfully quiet on that front...

CyReN

o5hbZo8.jpg

Frankie was on too.

Please go faster time.

Madness

o5hbZo8.jpg

Frankie was on too.

Please go faster time.

Probably because it went gold they now felt comfortable sharing their final build with friends outside the studio.

I can't wait either, pick up my xbox one in about ten days on sunset launch and then just wait till MCC launch. Doesn't seem like any midnight launch near me where I pre-ordered so I'll have to play in the morning. Almost every last major release I've played at midnight. Usually the best matches.

Madness

I mentioned it earlier, but they used the old UNSC logo on the flags in Halo 2 Anniversary, is that because we're going to keep the old design moving forward, or because that's how it was in Halo 2, just like the MK VI, pre-Halo 4 design.

I mentioned it earlier, but they used the old UNSC logo on the flags in Halo 2 Anniversary, is that because we're going to keep the old design moving forward, or because that's how it was in Halo 2, just like the MK VI, pre-Halo 4 design.

Good question. Not too sure. My headcanon was that the UNSC adopted a new insignia after the war, which is why FUD still had the classic logo, while Halo 4 had the newer one.

Madness

Good question. Not too sure. My headcanon was that the UNSC adopted a new insignia after the war, which is why FUD still had the classic logo, while Halo 4 had the newer one.

Hmmm, that could be a good way to explain their creative change. I didn't like the new one though, maybe it's more nostalgia, but I felt the older one was a bit more of a global logo, not necessarily patriotic/militaristic looking.

Will be interesting to see how it's portrayed in Nightfall, Spartan Strike or any pre-Halo 3 stories. I also need to know if the older MK VI design is still considered canon post Halo 4 world and whether it was only Chief who got the creative armor change. And, whether the events of Halo: Reach with the rebuilding speech by Halsey 30+ years later is still canon too.

Hmmm, that could be a good way to explain their creative change. I didn't like the new one though, maybe it's more nostalgia, but I felt the older one was a bit more of a global logo, not necessarily patriotic/militaristic looking.

Will be interesting to see how it's portrayed in Nightfall, Spartan Strike or any pre-Halo 3 stories. I also need to know if the older MK VI design is still considered canon post Halo 4 world and whether it was only Chief who got the creative armor change. And, whether the events of Halo: Reach with the rebuilding speech by Halsey 30+ years later is still canon too.

That is one I'm really curious about myself. Pretty major whether is stays or goes, considering the direction they're taking Halsey right now.

I have no problem with the new UNSC logo. The militaristic look works cause, well, they ARE the military. The Unified Earth Government is the governmental power in the Halo Universe, it's just that during the Human-Covenant War the UNSC was given primary control over Earth and her colonies. Think of it as an intergalactic martial law. For whatever reason, either just the convenience of it, or the fact rebuilding the galaxy is still taking time, the UNSC hasn't really relinquished their control.

http://www.halopedia.org/Unified_Earth_Government

EDIT: nevermind, the UEG is technically back in power, since Osman and Parangoski were present at the new president's inauguration. Forgot about that part in Halo Glasslands.

jem0208

I think at launch:

1. Halo 2 Anniversary
  2. Halo 2 Classic
  3. Halo 3
  4. Halo 4
  5. Halo CE
After launch:

1. Halo 3
  2. Halo 2 Anniversary
  3. Halo 4
  4. Halo 2 Classic
  5. Halo CE

That's pretty much how I see it going. H2 classic and CE are just a bit too old to hold a steady population. I think H2A and 3 will swap it out at the top quite regularly though.

At least you acknowledge it.

Get some help ASAP.

HaloGAF is my help.

I see we're back on the Halo 4 hate wagon. Shame, it was quite nice seeing some positive posts about the game earlier in the thread.

Not really hyped up for tmcc. Something feels off about it.

What

Random17

It's not just that, but the fact that the new logo is more akin to "America Fuck Yeah" with the not so subtle eagle. This is despite the fact that China was the superpower on Earth before the UNSC took over, at least according to the Halo Encyclopedia.

The new logo is simply too "in your face", so to speak. I doubt the media will mistake the new logo for the actual UNSC, something which definitely happened with the old logo!

Top Bottom