• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

I think it's a safe bet it won't be coming, at least before launch. I could see Microsoft bundling the game post-launch however.

that would suck tbh, sunset overdrive gets a bundle and the MCC doesnt?
id say the MCC is much more of a system seller than sunset overdrive, but that might just be my halo fanglasses lol

gAg CruSh3r

Have we got any word on how much content is on the disk of the MCC? And if we are able to play LAN on it right after the game is installed?

jem0208

Have we got any word on how much content is on the disk of the MCC? And if we are able to play LAN on it right after the game is installed?

We know it includes the Campaign portions of the game and some of the multiplayer content. Not sure what multiplayer content is on disc though.

Doesn't the LAN require an internet connection, albeit a small one? I thought someone referenced Frankie saying even a cell phone tether would be enough.

Japarican

Banned
id say the MCC is much more of a system seller than sunset overdrive, but that might just be my halo fanglasses lol

It will be a system seller, that's why they're not going to bundle it because people are going to buy an xbone for halo which earns them that extra dough from 3 million copies+.

I was waiting for it, but the xbone+destiny free bundle was when I hopped on, that garbage is gone now to pay off MCC

jem0208

Madness

That's one of the main reasons why they're probably bundling Sunset and Advanced Warfare. Not only will it make the publishers/devs of the game happy that their games are bundled with special consoles, but it also drives sales. They know MCC would have sold well with or without a bundle. But now, they'll get to claim that Sunset was an instant million seller, which I'm betting a lot will be guys like me who needed a system, and wanted the special white one. Same goes for advanced warfare, which I'm betting due to the exclusive marketing and pack in with the limited 1TB console will probably help propel it past PS4 sales due to fact PS4 will probably have more standalone sales.

I just wish they gave that white Brazil bundle here. All this disc drama, digital seems better everyday.

IHaveIce

Banned
Scrub Mentally is the guy who has to tell his teammates how he died, in detail, every single time.

"awwww this guy came up behind me with the shotgun so I turned around and tried to throw a sticky but it missed and he killed me"

"goddamnit this guy jumped on the platform with the rocket launcher, missed the first shot, and right before I was gonna killed me, he killed himself and me with the second rocket splash damage"

"fuckin' noob combo guys on the top floor, goddamnit"

"oh OK! So the game just chose to lag right before I could finish him off cuz he had no shields, WOW Bungie..."

Did we already play together? Wow :O

Japarican

Banned
Someone mentioned there are 3 weeks left until release, I didn't even notice.
ogYgEgA.png

RoKKeR

RE: Bundle talk and what others have said, MS doesn't need to bundle in MCC to ensure sales, it'll do so regardless. That way, almost anybody buying an Xbox One this holiday will get a free game of their choice and will probably go on to pick up MCC. It pulls enough weight on it's own that it doesn't need a bundle.

Now, that's not to say it won't be bundled in the future. I could absolutely see them doing a Halo bundle for Halo 5 next year... and throwing MCC into the mix ups the value massively of a package like that.

Also are the downloads with the MCC still screwed up? Like it reverting back to 32% or whatever?

Omoshai

Neo Member
There are quite a couple of reasons why a second disc may not be feasible.

- X1 OS may not be set up for install discs and they wouldn't be able to implement and bug check the feature in time for release.
- They may still working on a lot of the content.

As for removing Halo 4; "Master Chief Collection" - Latest game starring the Chief isn't necessary. Yeah, you're talking rubbish.

So your saying that it's possible the Xbox One OS is poorly built to the point that it cannot handle a feature that was present in the original Xbox? A feature which every computer OS has had for at least 20 years? You do realise that all Xbox One games are installed and run off the hard-drive. How do you think DLC works right now, that the delivery of the content from disk rather than your internet wouldn't work? This point makes literally no sense.

If they still need time to work on the game, or on bugs then they should delay the launch. Delivering essential parts of the game such as the multiplayer separately when they were originally together is not the solution. I shouldn't even have to explain why a game not finished or still too buggy should be delayed to be completed. Furthermore this has not been confirmed anywhere.

Halo 4 is part of a separate trilogy created by a different company then the original 3. You should logically be able to reason why if 343 simply had to have one disk, rather than separate the multiplayer component of the other games Halo 4 should have been cut/added in as a download.

Scrub Mentally is the guy who has to tell his teammates how he died, in detail, every single time.

"awwww this guy came up behind me with the shotgun so I turned around and tried to throw a sticky but it missed and he killed me"

"goddamnit this guy jumped on the platform with the rocket launcher, missed the first shot, and right before I was gonna killed me, he killed himself and me with the second rocket splash damage"

"fuckin' noob combo guys on the top floor, goddamnit"

"oh OK! So the game just chose to lag right before I could finish him off cuz he had no shields, WOW Bungie..."

Thought this one was a good call out? I do this one all the time.

jem0208

So your saying that it's possible the Xbox One OS is poorly built to the point that it cannot handle a feature that was present in the original Xbox? A feature which every computer OS has had for at least 20 years? You do realise that all Xbox One games are installed and run off the hard-drive. How do you think DLC works right now, that the delivery of the content from disk rather than your internet wouldn't work? This point makes literally no sense.

If they still need time to work on the game, or on bugs then they should delay the launch. Delivering essential parts of the game such as the multiplayer separately when they were originally together is not the solution. I shouldn't even have to explain why a game not finished or still too buggy should be delayed to be completed. Furthermore this has not been confirmed anywhere.

Halo 4 is part of a separate trilogy created by a different company then the original 3. You should logically be able to reason why if 343 simply had to have one disk, rather than separate the multiplayer component of the other games Halo 4 should have been cut/added in as a download.

Poor planning, never considered games could get this large. There are a multitude of reasons it may not have the feature.

And why should the hell should they delay the game just to help a very small minority? If this problem really is a massive issue just wait until they release a 2 disc version. Delaying the game would make no difference to you, you'll have to wait for a 2 disc version either way. However it would be a massive annoyance to the vast majority.

And? It's not called the Halo Bungie Trilogy, it's the Master Chief Collection. One of the main reasons for the collection is to allow people to catch up on the Master Chief's story before Halo 5. And 5 is obviously the sequel to 4. It wouldn't be much of a catch up if they skip the last quarter of the story.

Deception

Yeah guys if a bundle isn't announced by the end of the coming week I would give up hope and get another bundle. They have to give retailers time to promote this kind of thing and 2 weeks doesn't seem like enough time to do so.

danwarb

The disc DRM offline stuff was changed/added late on. I'm sure there was little thought for multi-BD releases, because ~50GB capacity. It could be awkward getting content from 2 disks into 1 game at the moment for some reason or other. Or 343i need more time with some content. Or cost.

Madness

Yeah guys if a bundle isn't announced by the end of the coming week I would give up hope and get another bundle. They have to give retailers time to promote this kind of thing and 2 weeks doesn't seem like enough time to do so.

People still hope for a bundle? They already announced the bundles for NA like a few months back (Madden, Sunset, Advanced Warfare). No way they'd just come out with a Master Chief bundle 3 weeks from launch. We'd have known about it a while back. I mean even the Brazilian one is known by now.

Omoshai

Neo Member
Poor planning, never considered games could get this large. There are a multitude of reasons it may not have the feature.

And why should the hell should they delay the game just to help a very small minority? If this problem really is a massive issue just wait until they release a 2 disc version. Delaying the game would make no difference to you, you'll have to wait for a 2 disc version either way. However it would be a massive annoyance to the vast majority.

And? It's not called the Halo Bungie Trilogy, it's the Master Chief Collection. One of the main reasons for the collection is to allow people to catch up on the Master Chief's story before Halo 5. And 5 is obviously the sequel to 4. It wouldn't be much of a catch up if they skip the last quarter of the story.

If due to poor planning it would raise serious questions about how 343 operate. It doesn't seem to be too hard to foresee why having 5 games and DLC content on one disk may be a issue, or why similarly you need to plan for two disks.

The serious issue here is the level of inconvenience and the reason for the delay. If you have no internet you now have no local multiplayer, versus a small delay for all users (theoretically around just two weeks if its time from pressing the game and then shipping it). If they have separated the content to save a $1 on the extra disk (or even that...since they are buying Blu-ray disks at bulk directly) should have passed the cost to the consumer or taking the hit.

I can understand your point here, but again its about the most logical option. If they have to choose between the story versus the actual game content, then since the Halo brand was built and created by the Bungie games its the most fair solution to deliver the new experiences by download or release Halo 4 as part of a second collection. As it stands, no one would care about Halo 4, 5 or the Halo story in general, if it was not for the original experiences, and that original experience included multiplayer on the disk.

willow ve

http://teambeyond.net/master-chief-collection-will-support-lan/

Yeah, according to some tweets. It's only a ping though, so you don't need an active connection.

I've don't really see the point in bundles, just buy an Xbox and the game. It's not like it's any more difficult.

Because it's cheaper?

Yeah. It's a console with a free game. If they run a promo like they did for Destiny then I can afford to buy at launch. If they don't then I'll be waiting for Black Friday or Christmas.

(With the Destiny "build your own promo" you could get a Xbox One + Destiny + $50 Gift Card for $399 - that's why it's worth a bundle).

danwarb

A lot of the multiplayer was DLC, originally. People would care about losing a ton of content, and there are ways around the download if you know someone else with an XBone who has the game.

I've played 4 and 2 the least. That's the fun of getting this MCC, as well as playing Halo 3 again at 60fps (the best one).

Welfare

People still hope for a bundle? They already announced the bundles for NA like a few months back (Madden, Sunset, Advanced Warfare). No way they'd just come out with a Master Chief bundle 3 weeks from launch. We'd have known about it a while back. I mean even the Brazilian one is known by now.
They did just announce the Assassins Creed bundle, and that comes out in 3 weeks. There is still hope.

I don't see how a niche MM (CE) and a MM that has a more modern version (H2) will be above the "latest" game that appeals to casuals more.

fuck the casuals that will play the game for a week and then drop it for something else, fuck appealing to those people and having the game lose more population faster. (See Halo 4)

jem0208

If due to poor planning it would raise serious questions about how 343 operate. It doesn't seem to be too hard to foresee why having 5 games and DLC content on one disk may be a issue, or why similarly you need to plan for two disks.

The serious issue here is the level of inconvenience and the reason for the delay. If you have no internet you now have no local multiplayer, versus a small delay for all users (theoretically around just two weeks if its time from pressing the game and then shipping it). If they have separated the content to save a $1 on the extra disk (or even that...since they are buying Blu-ray disks at bulk directly) should have passed the cost to the consumer or taking the hit.

I can understand your point here, but again its about the most logical option. If they have to choose between the story versus the actual game content, then since the Halo brand was built and created by the Bungie games its the most fair solution to deliver the new experiences by download or release Halo 4 as part of a second collection. As it stands, no one would care about Halo 4, 5 or the Halo story in general, if it was not for the original experiences, and that original experience included multiplayer on the disk.

The OS is MS's area. And yes, it's bad that it was this poorly planned, however I find it highly unlikely that they chose to force people to download.

It's clearly not the most logical option. The most logical in the current situation is to make people download the patch rather than cut a quarter of the content out.

Anyway, I'm sick of this discussion.

The OS is MS's area. And yes, it's bad that it was this poorly planned, however I find it highly unlikely that they chose to force people to download.

It's clearly not the most logical option. The most logical in the current situation is to make people download the patch rather than cut a quarter of the content out.

Anyway, I'm sick of this discussion.

thats the thing, 1/3 of the content is NOT ON THE DISC

Anyone think Frankie really disappeared to avoid that 20GB discussion and blamed BlueBlur as a diversion? I mean, he couldn't really have been mad over those comments, right?

Nobody tell Patroclos, but a conspiracy is afoot.

TheOddOne

Frankie always disappears when there is a huge launch coming. He is somewhere in a bunker trying to prevent the servers from blowing up, and trying to get that obvious token black guy joke out of H2A because of JC’s feelings.

Anyone think Frankie really disappeared to avoid that 20GB discussion and blamed BlueBlur as a diversion? I mean, he couldn't really have been mad over those comments, right?

That guy... I'm convinced he bought an xbox one just so he could rail MS and the xbox one constantly, and then feign total impartiality.
Frankie always disappears when there is a huge launch coming. He is somewhere in a bunker trying to prevent the servers from blowing up, and trying to get that obvious token black guy joke out of H2A because of JC’s feelings.
He's too busy playing the master chief collection right now.

Yeah this is crunch time for them. Not at all surprised by it. Even Tashi's presence has diminished (only seen one post from him in at least a week).

willow ve

I honestly think he left due to 20GB download gate and the color discussion about the maps. There was definitely something a bit too negative there for awhile.
also 3 out of 4 ain't bad

It's too bad about Frankie, but he can make his own decisions for his emotional/mental health. I'm sure the cumulative negativity over the past month has been extremely tiring. 343 has been working their asses off on the game and everyone loves to focus on negatives and spout off hyperbole and directed insults. I know I focus on negatives, despite being ridiculously excited.

He peaced out because of supposed "elitism", but I think it's more than that. It's too bad, because it's nice to have interaction with him and other devs. It's often insightful and quells needless debased discussion.

Top Bottom