• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Why are you not bothered? HaloGAF managed to piss him off enough that he left for about a month.

This is a really bad thing, having Frankie post here was great.

Do you have any idea how many times Frankie has left?

The best one was when Bobs chased him away.

I love Frankie, he'll be back when he feels the time is right.

Tawpgun

I'd say keeping the first OT a non dig at anything is fine. Got some real good suggestions in here along those lines.

The funny titles can come later.

You know what bothers me? Bad Halo games. The title should relate to whatever is currently on the minds of Halo players, good or bad. Most of them are sarcastic humor, nothing malicious.

Do you really think you think that a Halo Gaf community thread should have a title that sets the tone of sarcasm and snark? I'm not trying to blindly side with Frank, but he has a point. Maturity, a welcoming attitude and just being a fan should be what sets the tone, not a "knock" on something.

Talk about whatever you want and if it happens to be negative than so be it...just wish people tried to go out of their way to be nice around here, especially in their criticisms of a game or one another. I know, that's so uncool right?

Impala26

Halo: The Master Chief Collection |OT| So You Did Miss Me?

EDIT: Thanks for the general HaloGAF round of applause for my earlier suggestion guys, XD.

RoKKeR

I'd say keeping the first OT a non dig at anything is fine. Got some real good suggestions in here along those lines.

The funny titles can come later.

The download jokes will only be relevant at launch and they are light-hearted enough. Besides, we'll crank though an OT pretty quickly I'd imagine.

Sephzilla

Do you really think you think that a Halo Gaf community thread should have a title that sets the tone of sarcasm and snark?

wSvoup5.gif

Isn't this the same thread where we were talking about how we missed the pre and post game shit talk?

BigShow36

Why are you not bothered? HaloGAF managed to piss him off enough that he left for about a month.

Frankie always gets pissed about something every now and them. I imagine reading any forum where you are the subject would wear on anyone. I'm not here because I desperately want to read Frankies sly hints and half-truths about Halo games, I'm here to discuss Halo. If discussing Halo, the good and the bad, makes Frankie leave, that's a secondary concern.

This is a really bad thing, having Frankie post here was great.

Sure, it's always cool to interact with a game developer, no matter how distant and guarded it may be. But again, the objectivity of discussion should not be sacrificed to keep anyone happy.

Do you really think you think that a Halo Gaf community thread should have a title that sets the tone of sarcasm and snark? I'm not trying to blindly side with Frank, but he has a point. Maturity, a welcoming attitude and just being a fan should be what sets the tone, not a "knock" on something.

Talk about whatever you want and if it happens to be negative than so be it...just wish people tried to go out of their way to be nice around here, especially in their criticisms of a game or one another. I know, that's so uncool right?

There is something to be said for honesty.

jem0208

Frankie always gets pissed about something every now and them. I imagine it would wear on anyone. I'm not here because I desperately want to read Frankies sly hints and half-truths about Halo games, I'm here to discuss Halo. If discussing Halo, the good and the bad, makes Frankie leave, that's a secondary concern.

Sure, it's always cool to interact with a game developer, no matter how distant and guarded it may be. But again, the objectivity of discussion should not be sacrificed to keep anyone happy.

I'm not trying to say we shouldn't criticise Halo 4, hell no. I'd basically never post here if you guys stopped criticising it. I'm saying we shouldn't have inflammatory titles. They only serve to provide a quick laugh to some and to piss off others. There are also much better titles to be had.

Impala26

Halo: The Master Chief Collection |OT| We Got Jackals in the Courtyard... Again!

or similar vein

Halo: The Master Chief Collection |OT| I Need Another Weapon

It's not objectivity of discussion that's the problem, it's the tone of it. I agree that people shouldn't be expected to sugar coat it, but part of the reason fewer devs hang out on GAF these days is the lack of civility.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection |OT| For the Love of God Don't Use Party Chat

Oooooh, yes.

EDIT:

I wasn't addressing subjectivity.

I was pointing out that
1-much of what you brought up was extremely implementation-dependent, and
2-even regardless of whether something is "subjectively" or "objectively" better or worse, most of your points did not even begin to explain how something was better or worse in any sense at all!
I don't think I've ever seen you use an ! lol, so my bad if I somehow upset you. I wanted to point out how my post was subjective since I thought you were making a point that what I was saying is only an opinion. Regarding the matter of "better or worse," you don't see how me saying it gimps a player's progression is a negative? If 100% of your game time is with motion tracker, you'll perform exponentially worse than if your game time was 100% without motion tracker. Common sense? I think so. Anecdotal? Sure. Mutually exclusive? Nope.

I've explained, as well as others, why the current motion tracker is not ideal for competitive Halo, and how it causes poor player habits, especially within lesser-skilled players, ultimately leading to boring gameplay (opinion) that doesn't work for competitive play because it limits player movement. How does it limit player movement? Because you have to crouch/walk slow not to be seen, and that's a big limiting factor for a game like Halo where movement (running AND jumping) is important.
Initially, I was going to compare how motion tracker stalls gameplay similar to AA's, but it seems you missed this part:
Similar levels of frustrating is all I'm trying to compare here.
If you see this as grasping at the world's smallest straws then so be it, but chasing people around rocks is more frustrating then someone pressing pause on their death for a few seconds while I can look elsewhere, nor can that player attack me while doing so. So in essence, motion tracker has the potential to stall gameplay more than Armor Lock.
No radar makes you so lost when no one is using mics though, That's the big downside.

Destiny Radar or Soundbased radar are the best imo. You don't know exactly where they are but you know the general direction of the action.
Not necessarily. That's where the importance of visual feedback comes into play, like teammates' names that appear yellow when they're under fire and red when they're about to die, or however it functioned (you get the idea).
Are people honestly trying to debate that radar is bad for competitive play? This isn't even a question anymore. Radar should only be turned on for FFAs on certain maps, anything else is terrible for competitive play.
Yes.

Impala26

I mean, the only thing that would make Halo 4 better is if it had ADS.
I'M KIDDING I'M KIDDING I'M KIDDING

Wasn't there a famous review for Halo 4 that basically said, "Halo 4 is a great game, but it's also really bad for a shooter in this modern era because it doesn't even have IRON SIGHTS"?

Seriously like... the state of modern FPSs...

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Agreed. No more instigating OT"s period. It's obvious it bothers Frank and that should bother us. HaloGaf needs to be even more accepting and welcoming than the "dreaded" gaming side of the forum.

Even beyond it bothering the creator's of it.

It shows newcomers that it's cool and acceptable to come into the OT and bash on Halo.

Save that shit for Gaming side.

Edit: it's for gaming side. Open the flood gates.

iMax

I thought 4 was fine.

It'll be good to play it again at 60fps. 4 and 2 (the campaign) are the ones I played least.

I really, really enjoyed Halo 4's campaign.

And on that note, I have something to confess to the class.

Despite playing the shit out of Halo 2's multiplayer, I never actually got round to playing the campaign, so I'm going into this all fresh like a daisy.

Hope it was worth the ten year wait.

Ramirez

Even beyond it bothering the creator's of it.

It shows newcomers that it's cool and acceptable to come into the OT and bash on Halo.

Save that shit for Gaming side.

Trying to branch off from the core of the forum is a big no no buddy. Don't get too insular, wouldn't want to see such a solid defense force member go down in flames.

jem0208

I really, really enjoyed Halo 4's campaign.

And on that note, I have something to confess to the class.

Despite playing the shit out of Halo 2's multiplayer, I never actually got round to playing the campaign, so I'm going into this all fresh like a daisy.

Hope it was worth the ten year wait.

Oh man, you're in for a treat.

Halo 2 is my favourite campaign. Not sure how much of that is nostalgia but I had so much fun playing it with my brother.

Impala26

Any word on pre-loading the patch for those buying the physical copy?
Maybe through a pre-order code of something?

Please... please??

When seeing the Halo: Nightfall Sneak peek, I was asking myself why 343i cannot get the comics right. Hire a great artist and do a graphic novel instead of trying to do a ongoing series. Be the first at something is not always the correct way. The best output of a Halo comic had been the graphic novel around 2005 and it is my favourite book to look at. I am happy to own a copy and wish 343i would try another one with their in-house talent.

Nightfall does look incredible. Will the first episode come out on the same day as the MCC?

Oh man, you're in for a treat.

Halo 2 is my favourite campaign. Not sure how much of that is nostalgia but I had so much fun playing it with my brother.
I feel sorry for him. Halo 2 feels as corridor-ish as Halo 4 did, or worse at some points. But it can hide those facts. I am still enjoying it and it is a better campaign than Halo: Reach, but it feels aged compared to the timeless classic; Halo: CE and Halo 3.

Top Bottom