• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

iMax

Any word on pre-loading the patch for those buying the physical copy?
Maybe through a pre-order code of something?

Please... please??

Never happened before. (Probably) not gonna happen now.

However... pre-orders can be refunded up to the day of release, so theoretically you could pre-order digitally, download the game (and the patch), cancel, install the physical version, and you'd be good.

I'd confirm with Xbox Support as to whether this'd actually work but the theory holds up at least.

Oh man, you're in for a treat.

Halo 2 is my favourite campaign. Not sure how much of that is nostalgia but I had so much fun playing it with my brother.

That's pretty cool you get to experience it for the first time. Halo 2 IMHO had a really balanced campaign. It's not repetitive, the narrative is a nice change of pace from Halo 1 CE, and the weapon sandbox is extremely satisfying in the game.

Am I the only one that wished the Brutes were still like angry gorillas that rampaged you? Idk..I thought it was more exciting and different than Halo 3's brutes.

iMax

That's pretty cool you get to experience it for the first time. Halo 2 IMHO had a really balanced campaign. It's not repetitive, the narrative is a nice change of pace from Halo 1 CE, and the weapon sandbox is extremely satisfying in the game.

Am I the only one that wished the Brutes were still like angry gorillas that rampaged you? Idk..I thought it was more exciting and different than Halo 3's brutes.

Looking forward to it!

Impala26

However... pre-orders can be refunded up to the day of release, so theoretically you could pre-order digitally, download the game (and the patch), cancel, install the physical version, and you'd be good.

I'd confirm with Xbox Support as to whether this'd actually work but the theory holds up at least.

That'd be awesome if you could, but yeah, I'd rather be certain of that through someone else rather than experimenting and blowing money on two copies...

Otherwise for me it'll just have to be:

Halo: The Master Chief Collection |OT| Wake Me, When the Download Finishes...

Fuchsdh

Nightfall trailer got me thinking.

Why has no developer used the Hunter Worms to do something more interesting. We got scarabs in H3 and thats about it. They can pretty much take any form.

Another note... Was the organic nature of the SpOps harvester ever explained. Is it a stylistic thing for the covenant?

500px-Harvester_Sculpt.jpg
This thing looks straight out of Gears of War. Even the inside was organic looking. It looked like it had a spine and skin.

sopsep10-027.jpg

I believe they specifically mention in the Art of Halo 4 that it's from a specific armory/manufacturer, which might explain its more unique aspects. But yeah, I was kind of sad that for its more different style, there wasn't more to it. Maybe if it'd been colored more like Covenant vehicles it wouldn't bother me as much.

jem0208

I feel sorry for him. Halo 2 feels as corridor-ish as Halo 4 did, or worse at some points. But it can hide those facts. I am still enjoying it and it is a better campaign than Halo: Reach, but it feels aged compared to the timeless classic; Halo: CE and Halo 3.

Ehh, it was corridor-ish. However I found it had some fantastic set pieces from a gameplay standpoint.

The attack up the hill on Delta Halo, attacking the Scarab on Metropolis, crossing the bridge in a tank.

There are so many fantastic moments in 2.

danwarb

I didn't like the Halo 2 campaign back when I first played it. The levels didn't feel as open as in CE, but were longer and narrower, and the visual changes were disappointing. H2A should make all the difference. 60fps and no angular, blurry terrain. Plus fancy redone cutscenes.

Are people honestly trying to debate that radar is bad for competitive play? This isn't even a question anymore. Radar should only be turned on for FFAs on certain maps, anything else is terrible for competitive play.

Radar in Destiny is like a party of red marks in the lower section of your screen

Vico

The Harvester was the most intriguing part of Spartan Ops. It might look vastly different from what we're used to, but it only made it even more mysterious. Loved that part.
What's sad is that a lot of people probably didn't bother to play Spartan Ops up to that part, missing a truely unique thing.

Also, Holy shit you guys are on fire with these OT titles.

jem0208

I didn't like the Halo 2 campaign back when I first played it. The levels didn't feel as open as in CE, but were longer and narrower, and the visual changes were disappointing. H2A should make all the difference. 60fps and no angular, blurry terrain. Plus fancy redone cutscenes.
It was obviously and pretty severely hurt by the fact that they did it in such a short time frame. The graphics are pretty damn poor.

Fuck Heckfu, Reach kids like him who signed up just to talk to Frankie is what made this place go in the dumpster.

http://i.imgur.com/jdCQcDf.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

I remember Xand not wanting to reveal himself because he didn't want to be associated with HeckFu's wave.

This was an actual thing, I assure you.

Sephzilla

Someone, please test and confirm

AlStrong

Any word on pre-loading the patch for those buying the physical copy?
Maybe through a pre-order code of something?

Please... please??

Maybe they should have it as a "free" content pack that just sits on marketplace like those compatibility packs for a number of 360 games (Fable co-op dlc, DOA5 costumes etc).

I mean, I wonder if the maps can be separated since they should just be map files/assets?

Some of these more classy suggestions here are so damn much better than the titles that include some form of offense or a completely irrevelant focus on the whole collection.
Sensi alert.

Agreed. No more instigating OT"s period. It's obvious it bothers Frank and that should bother us. HaloGaf needs to be even more accepting and welcoming than the "dreaded" gaming side of the forum.
yoou go from criticising the game to captain SLRP, all bipolar like.
You know what bothers me? Bad Halo games. The title should relate to whatever is currently on the minds of Halo players, good or bad. Most of them are sarcastic humor, nothing malicious.
^this
Frankie always gets pissed about something every now and them. I imagine reading any forum where you are the subject would wear on anyone. I'm not here because I desperately want to read Frankies sly hints and half-truths about Halo games, I'm here to discuss Halo. If discussing Halo, the good and the bad, makes Frankie leave, that's a secondary concern.

Sure, it's always cool to interact with a game developer, no matter how distant and guarded it may be. But again, the objectivity of discussion should not be sacrificed to keep anyone happy.
Also ^this
I mean, the only thing that would make Halo 4 better is if it had ADS.
I'M KIDDING I'M KIDDING I'M KIDDING
Get. Out. dont even joke about that dreck in Halo.
Wasn't there a famous review for Halo 4 that basically said, "Halo 4 is a great game, but it's also really bad for a shooter in this modern era because it doesn't even have IRON SIGHTS"?
Seriously like... the state of modern FPSs...
It was Ryan Mccaffrey

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I was thinking the exact same thing. I wonder if they just meant "a leader at ONI"

it was the president of Scott Free productions that is saying it. and on top of that, mike colter has given the media wrong info about Locke in regards to Halo 5... so i will honestly wait until the series comes out to even try to fathom the series.

VinFTW

So who else is going to be embarrassingly rusty as fuck at Halo when the MCC hits?

I have NO ability to practice before hand either :/

RowdyReverb

So who else is going to be embarrassingly rusty as fuck at Halo when the MCC hits?

During the walkthrough of Stonetown, I kept saying "oh yeah, I forgot about that room" and didn't even notice some of the changes until he pointed them out. Been a long time since I played Zanzi and Last Resort is more recent. I was surprised when Camp Froman didn't have a downstairs area. Also, I'll probably throw more than a few grenades when I'm trying to aim thanks to Destiny.

You won't be the only one who's rusty, but I'm sure it will all come back to us, like riding a bike.

RoKKeR

Yep, it's gonna be bad. Also will be the first time with the Xbox One controller, looser sticks, different bumpers, etc.

Hoping Bumper Jumper works out on the new pad.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

Rustier than the Titanic.

Will need lots of practice after release.

Welfare

I haven't touched a Halo since June. I got Titanfall and Destiny in my veins right now. I need a blood transfusion from Halo, STAT.

VinFTW

Nice to know I'm not the only one.

Although Halo is my #1 FPS, i WILL most likely try to:

1) sprint
2) double jump
3) hover and float like a glimmering guardian

unfortunately..

Fuchsdh

I attempt to sprint in all the Halos now for a couple of games until I get back into the feel of it. With universal control schemes, that's probably going to be what throws me off the most when I play Halo 4 in the MCC.

Overdoziz

Banned
*Sigh*

I understand why people are upset about me being so against the "Bungie's Best Game of 2014" title and I get that "Mjolnir Mix" isn't the most exciting title ever. The reason I'm so against the Bungie jab isn't because I don't think it's funny, in all honesty I think it's hilarious and breathe a slight chuckle every time I see it. The issue isn't even that I don't want to offend 343 or Bungie, even if I think the title would ruffle some feathers, which it would. My issue with the title is that I just don't think it fits well enough. Destiny was a fantastic game, I don't enjoy it nearly as much as I enjoy Halo, but that's not the point. As a stand alone thing, it's a great piece of work and there's no reason to bring it up in my opinion.

However, in order to appease the people of HaloGAF and all those who find themselves hiding behind bushes while perusing about the thread, I offer the oppurtunity. I am taking down every single suggestion I see that doesn't include a Bungie reference. I will not tell which one I use until midnight EST when the thread goes live. If I don't find one I like better then I will simply stick with Mjolnir Mix and call it good.

Step up to the challenge, HaloGAF. Come up with a better title.
hnqgMi4.jpg

jem0208

I attempt to sprint in all the Halos now for a couple of games until I get back into the feel of it. With universal control schemes, that's probably going to be what throws me off the most when I play Halo 4 in the MCC.

I just hope there's no sprint in H5, just increased movement speed. Maybe some new thrust-like abilities or something.
I actually quite like sprint. *hides*

Feels great to parkour whilst sprinting, you can jump so far.

I just hope there's no sprint in H5, just increased movement speed. Maybe some new thrust-like abilities or something.

honestly, 343 still wants to appeal to the BF, CoD, etc... crowd so sprint will stay in much to everyone's dismay. even though there have been hundreds if not 1000+ posts about how its not needed in Halo.

VinFTW

Yeah but jem dats not Halo :(

And I hope not Ragnarok. I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt.

I'm still betting there's a separate MP mode ala Invasion but bigger (32 or 64 players) with sprint and arena won't have it.

I REALLY don't want to have the sprint debate again and I don't dislike sprint in all games but in Halo, it completely ruins it and turns it into something else.

I do sometimes think if they did have it, how could it work? Maybe you can't sprint when your getting shot or something, idfk.

God bless 343i, I can't imagine the pressure they have to appease so many people. I do NOT envy them.

if they do have to pander to larger than 8v8 then make it more vehicle focused instead of sprint and shit.

Bam. No need for sprint really. But I can totally see reviewers (polygon, cough) taking points off for no sprint.

I'm still betting there's a separate MP mode ala Invasion but bigger (32 or 64 players) with sprint and arena won't have it.

I REALLY don't want to have the sprint debate again and I don't dislike sprint in all games but in Halo, it completely ruins it and turns it into something else.

I do sometimes think if they did have it, how could it work? Maybe you can't sprint when your getting shot or something, idfk.

God bless 343i, I can't imagine the pressure they have to appease so many people. I do NOT envy them.

if they do have to pander to larger than 8v8 then make it more vehicle focused instead of sprint and shit.

Fuchsdh

I actually quite like sprint. *hides*

Feels great to parkour whilst sprinting, you can jump so far.

As do I. Like the motion tracker/no motion tracker debates, I see the positives and negatives, but overall sprint to me is a net positive. Simply increasing base movement speed doesn't really address the benefit of sprint outside of the objective movement bonus to me, which is the feeling of speed.

jem0208

I know... Still fun though.

I think boosters / thrusters would make a good substitute. Makes the movement more interesting whilst removing most of the negatives of sprint.

As do I. Like the motion tracker/no motion tracker debates, I see the positives and negatives, but overall sprint to me is a net positive. Simply increasing base movement speed doesn't really address the benefit of sprint outside of the objective movement bonus to me, which is the feeling of speed.
That's why I liked it too. There was a seriously good sense of speed whilst sprinting in 4. Made even better by the massive jumps you could do. Sure it may have some knock on effects that were negative but it felt awesome.

I hope it stays in for the campaign at least.

Edit: oh shit, it's almost 1am and I have double maths at 9am... I should get off of gaf.

Top Bottom