• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

H3 BR has intentionally designed and programmed randomness, so it will always be inconsistent to a certain degree. Better resolution and framerate, along with better netcode should make getting used to its "intended randomness" a lot easier though.

I disagree with it outright though, I should be able to manage the recoil, spread, and inaccuracy of a weapon with my own skill, it shouldn't be programmed to be random with no mechanic of player correction.

To be fair, the footage showed a player that wasn't shooting the BR completely properly. He was missing quite a lot. The Halo 3 BR was a different beast because it wasn't hit scan. As a result a lot of people didn't think their shots connected. You have to lead your shots and often it's just better to aim for the chest and then pull up on the 4th shot.

Karl2177

Can we get someone decent with a controller? Whoever was playing had their sensitivity way too high and ended up just wailing on the melee button for over half of that.

Impala26

To be fair, the footage showed a player that wasn't shooting the BR completely properly. He was missing quite a lot. The Halo 3 BR was a different beast because it wasn't hit scan. As a result a lot of people didn't think their shots connected. You have to lead your shots and often it's just better to aim for the chest and then pull up on the 4th shot.

Alright, can we clear the waters here a bit?

What games (at least those in this collection) are certain bullet weapons hitscan versus projectile? I always assumed the BR was hitscan but now you go and say this and I'm confused again. Halo CE pistol and sniper were actually PROJECTILE right?

IHaveIce

Banned
]Damn it, they closed the patch thread just as I tried to post a reply to Fyre's claims that the MCC isn't good value ._.[/B]

Anyway, still can't watch the Halo 3 footage.

Edit: Holy shit, it's working!

LOL WAT?
Did he really bring the argument Halo 3 is 5$ on the 360?
Oh wow Sherlock Holmes at work here, now tell me how much it is on Xbox One? Bundled with a redone Halo 2 multi, Halo 2 online servers which Bungie turned offline (and no 343 didn't turn the vista servers off yet) and CE multiplayer for the first time on console....

Well what do you expect .. If someone thinks Craigmire is a map worty to get into matchmaking then maybe these kind of persons also think the value is bad.

Mix

I just re-watched the Nightfall trailer and I swear to god it sounds like Frank is narrating it. I can't NOT hear it.

What games (at least those in this collection) are certain bullet weapons hitscan versus projectile? I always assumed the BR was hitscan but now you go and say this and I'm confused again. Halo CE pistol and sniper were actually PROJECTILE right?

It's okay, it is confusing.

Halo CE pistol/sniper = Projectile
Halo 2 BR = Hit Scan
Halo 3 BR = Projectile
Halo 4? (didn't play enough to know)

I remember when I was playing for an MLG team on GameBattles we all thought Halo 3's BR was flakey going from Halo 2. Sure, we found out later that Halo 3 does have a slight element of "random spread", but it's pretty contained. Once we found out we had to lead our shots (even in medium ranged battles) suddenly it felt like we were connecting all the time. A lot of pros in Halo 3 felt the same at first and weren't sure the game was good for competitive.

does anyone know where the IGN livestream will take place?
as in does IGN actually have a livestream component on their homepage or will it be done via twitch

Booshka

Players that don't know they need to lead their H3 BR also don't know that it is intentionally random, they are just bad. So going by their gameplay to dissect the qualities of the weapon, or game for that matter is just a bad idea from the start.

IHaveIce

Banned
ESL App coming to Xbox One, with Halo pics in it, seems like Halo will be playable through the ESL league, yesss.

Was playing CounterStrike Source through ESL like a maniac back then.

jem0208

It's okay, it is confusing.

Halo CE pistol/sniper = Projectile
Halo 2 BR = Hit Scan
Halo 3 BR = Projectile
Halo 4? (didn't play enough to know)

I remember when I was playing for an MLG team on GameBattles we all thought Halo 3's BR was flakey going from Halo 2. Sure, we found out later that Halo 3 does have a slight element of "random spread", but it's pretty contained. Once we found out we had to lead our shots (even in medium ranged battles) suddenly it felt like we were connecting all the time. A lot of pros in Halo 3 felt the same at first and weren't sure the game was good for competitive.

Pretty damn sure Halo 4 was hit scan, as it should be.

jem0208

Too lazy to look for the thread but what was the bulk of Fyre's argument? He usually has well thought out posts with a lot of good information to share, so maybe it was taken the wrong way?

You shouldn't use the fact that the MCC is good value to dismiss criticisms of the game. (Which I completely agree with)

However he then went on to claim that the MCC wasn't good value.

Booshka

You shouldn't use the fact that the MCC is good value to dismiss criticisms of the game. (Which I completely agree with)

For me MCC isn't a good value, but that's because I am an extreme outlier. I'd have to buy an Xbone and the game just for CE, which is the PC port and not the OG Xbox version, a minor detail that really disappoints me.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Oh cool, that really obnoxious debate is being brought over here now.

OvXRm.gif

ESL App coming to Xbox One, with Halo pics in it, seems like Halo will be playable through the ESL league, yesss.

Was playing CounterStrike Source through ESL like a maniac back then.
How does that work? I have zero knowledge of ESL.

The only thing I'm concerned about in the MCC is the framerate in splitscreen . My wife wants to play with me, but it will suck if it dips under 60ps for that.

jem0208

For me MCC isn't a good value, but that's because I am an extreme outlier. I'd have to buy an Xbone and the game just for CE, which is the PC port and not the OG Xbox version, a minor detail that really disappoints me.

Well that's perfectly reasonable. Personal value is obviously quite subjective. However monetary value is not.

Oh cool, that really obnoxious debate is being brought over here now.

Also I agree. Let's stop.

The only thing I'm concerned about in the MCC is the framerate in splitscreen . My wife wants to play with me, but it will suck if it dips under 60ps for that.

Sadly, I wouldn't be at all surprised. Hopefully it doesn't

Whelp my guide for TrueAchievements site is coming along swimmingly and is more than 90% finished but I wanted to see if anyone has more info on a few achievements (mostly your 'best guess' on where we should try to unlock them).

Unknown:
Mystery Achievement - Inscrutable. Mysterious. - clueless, but maybe that youtube vid at the bottom will have the proper easter egg to unlock this, if that's what triggers it.

Halo: CE
My Buddy Chips - Halo CE: Fight alongside Chips Dubbo and listen to his words of wisdom.
---- I've gotten a few inputs on this, but it's still a guessing game. Anyone think they have this one pinned down?

Halo 2 Anniversary
Six Pedals, Four Directions - Halo 2: Drive a Scorpion while playing as the Arbiter.
---- This one's probably super obvious, but I haven't gotten around to putting my OG Halo 2 disc in to see if I can pin it down.

Betcha can't stick it... - Halo 2: Stick a Plasma Grenade to a Stealth Elite on Outskirts.
---- Same as above, most likely a super easy one, but not 100% as I can't recall invisible Elites on that level. It's been too long.

THE Chips Dubbo? - Halo 2: Fight alongside the legendary Chips Dubbo and listen to his words.
---- Chips is going to give me nightmares. I have a couple inputs on his location(s) in Halo 2 but...

10 Minutes Too Early - Halo 2: In The Oracle, find the holo-drone before the Heretic Leader activates it.
---- I think someone mentioned how to do this earlier in this thread. I'll try to go back and find it.

E E E - Halo 2: View both signs in the level Metropolis.
---- I'm clueless here.

Halo 3
Missing Link - Halo 3: Watching. Waiting. Plotting.
---- I already found the monkey family for the one achievement, and the lone monkey 'outside the map' for the 2nd one, but this 3rd missing link achievement has me stumped.

Can't Keep Him Down - Halo 3: Fight alongside and listen to The Man. The Legend. Chips Dubbo.
---- Damnit chips....

Heading to his Destiny - Halo 3: Destined for greatness.
---- Completely at a loss, although I have a couple ideas (see youtube vids below)

Sounds Familiar - Halo 3: This stuff is your history!
---- Same as above

Halo 4
You're No Chips - Halo 4: What do Marines know about sticks?
---- I'm gonna feel silly if these Chips Dubbo achievements wind up being almost impossible to miss with IWHBYD turned on or something.

These are the only 11 achievements across all 4 titles that I'm not 100% certain I either have nailed down or at least know the method for (looking at you, Halo 2 Megg achievement).

Now here's a few things I think MIGHT apply to a couple of those Halo 3 easter egg achievements that I haven't nailed down...

Possible video for easter egg achievements:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwDG0-2vMqY

Jason Jones in his boxers?? Start vid at 7:26.

Start the above video at 8:45 to show the elephant flip. Might be one of the easter egg achievements? (Hold to flip… wait, what? How did you do that?)

Another potential easter egg for an achievement, the Red vs Blue egg. Guy banging on door in Crow’s Nest (different dialogue on different difficulties).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waL8K2SGR1M

It appears that Halo CE was changed to hitscan, probably because of old netcode it's based on, Halo 3 is projectile, all other games are hitscan based.

LOL! I laugh so hard at this every time I see it. Thanks for posting!

I found part two in a stunning resolution of 240p

Man....the announcer voiceover work just sounds sooo good in Halo 3 and Halo 2... Watching the multiplayer section and hearing "30 seconds remaining" was just great. The H2A direction sounds like he's yelling into an aluminum garbage can under water. I don't like being shouted at during the matches. It's not the end of the world...but man the new direction with that just doesn't jive with me at all.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Man....the announcer voiceover work just sounds sooo good in Halo 3 and Halo 2... Watching the multiplayer section and hearing "30 seconds remaining" was just great. The H2A direction sounds like he's yelling into an aluminum garbage can under water. I don't like being shouted at during the matches. It's not the end of the world...but man the new direction with that just doesn't jive with me at all.
Yeah, I had the same feeling. Seeing Halo 3 medals and hearing the old Steitzer felt great after watching so much H2A footage recently.

Trey

Fyre's right. And I like the MCC.

If his argument hasn't evolved since I saw it yesterday, I still heartily disagree.

MCC is undoubtedly an incredible value. If you bought each Halo game on each of their respective "best" platforms (Halo PC and Halo 2 Vista on PC, Halo 3 and Halo 4 on 360) with all its DLC it would still probably come out over 60 dollars.

That's not even counting the redone maps, the new graphics and sounds (with the ability to switch between all of that on the fly), the new achievements, campaign scoring with complementary speed running features, better Forge, more options in general (Hornet in Halo 2, gungoose etc), synergy with Waypoint for stats, and the assumption that there will be a much healthier online population for MCC.

Then you get to extracurriculars like Nightfall and the Halo 5 beta, remixed OSTs, dedicated servers, and guaranteed 1080p* 60 fps for every Halo game.

But maybe his argument evolved since yesterday.

Karl2177

... Or reread his posts and understand where he is coming from. There's more to value than a price point. When you attempt to pass off value-added pricing as one of your main marketing points, there are going to be people that research and critique it. Now there's a lot marketing research that shows your predisposition towards marketers, creators, retailers, etc. will influence how you interpret the results. Take a look at his thread that he linked. His position of Microsoft's marketing is negative, largely because of the "14 Day Buy and Play" cover up. Now when he does research and finds that you can in fact purchase all but H2A for under $60, he isn't going to be positive about the fact that the value-added pricing scheme is being used.

To Madness: The way I interpreted Fyre's post was that you have to look beyond what the marketing is telling you to look at. I agree with his perspective, but the selling point for me is that I can have Halo 1, 2, and 3 without having to change discs and with a healthy online population(at least for a while).

jem0208

... Or reread his posts and understand where he is coming from. There's more to value than a price point. When you attempt to pass off value-added pricing as one of your main marketing points, there are going to be people that research and critique it. Now there's a lot marketing research that shows your predisposition towards marketers, creators, retailers, etc. will influence how you interpret the results. Take a look at his thread that he linked. His position of Microsoft's marketing is negative, largely because of the "14 Day Buy and Play" cover up. Now when he does research and finds that you can in fact purchase all but H2A for under $60, he isn't going to be positive about the fact that the value-added pricing scheme is being used.

To Madness: The way I interpreted Fyre's post was that you have to look beyond what the marketing is telling you to look at. I agree with his perspective, but the selling point for me is that I can have Halo 1, 2, and 3 without having to change discs and with a healthy online population(at least for a while).
He also claimed it wasn't good value from a monetary point of view. Something which is clearly not true.

Havok

Whelp my guide for TrueAchievements site is coming along swimmingly and is more than 90% finished but I wanted to see if anyone has more info on a few achievements (mostly your 'best guess' on where we should try to unlock them).

Halo 2 Anniversary
Six Pedals, Four Directions - Halo 2: Drive a Scorpion while playing as the Arbiter.
---- This one's probably super obvious, but I haven't gotten around to putting my OG Halo 2 disc in to see if I can pin it down.

Betcha can't stick it... - Halo 2: Stick a Plasma Grenade to a Stealth Elite on Outskirts.
---- Same as above, most likely a super easy one, but not 100% as I can't recall invisible Elites on that level. It's been too long.
1) Quarantine Zone, immediate left when exiting crashed sentinel factory.
2) Both left and right sides of sniper alley on Legendary, possibly Heroic. Spawns can be a little weird - one should spawn in each alcove just after the alley proper starts.

VinFTW

Man, it's like cosmic justice that right after I finish a 3 week consecutive exam streak Sunset Overdrive and then MCC comes out...

Gonna binge play till my eyes bleed.

Reddit really hates NeoGAF. It's quite funny really...

I loved it when the mods turned /r/xboxone into NeoGaf for a day :p

jem0208

Man, it's like cosmic justice that right after I finish a 3 week consecutive exam streak Sunset Overdrive and then MCC comes out...

Gonna binge play till my eyes bleed.

I loved it when the mods turned /r/xboxone into NeoGaf for a day :p

Aha, that was really funny. They got the theme wrong though.

#TeamDarkTheme

damn, that perma

RIP in peace FyreWulff. I'll never forget your OKCupid tips or forgive you for Cragmire, brotha. May your path along the Great Journey lead you to enlightenment.

Unknown:
Mystery Achievement - Inscrutable. Mysterious. - clueless, but maybe that youtube vid at the bottom will have the proper easter egg to unlock this, if that's what triggers it.

Halo: CE
My Buddy Chips - Halo CE: Fight alongside Chips Dubbo and listen to his words of wisdom.
---- I've gotten a few inputs on this, but it's still a guessing game. Anyone think they have this one pinned down?

Halo 2 Anniversary

THE Chips Dubbo? - Halo 2: Fight alongside the legendary Chips Dubbo and listen to his words.
---- Chips is going to give me nightmares. I have a couple inputs on his location(s) in Halo 2 but...

10 Minutes Too Early - Halo 2: In The Oracle, find the holo-drone before the Heretic Leader activates it.
---- I think someone mentioned how to do this earlier in this thread. I'll try to go back and find it.

E E E - Halo 2: View both signs in the level Metropolis.
---- I'm clueless here.

Halo 3
Missing Link - Halo 3: Watching. Waiting. Plotting.
---- I already found the monkey family for the one achievement, and the lone monkey 'outside the map' for the 2nd one, but this 3rd missing link achievement has me stumped.

Can't Keep Him Down - Halo 3: Fight alongside and listen to The Man. The Legend. Chips Dubbo.
---- Damnit chips....

Heading to his Destiny - Halo 3: Destined for greatness.
---- Completely at a loss, although I have a couple ideas (see youtube vids below)

Sounds Familiar - Halo 3: This stuff is your history!
---- Same as above

Halo 4
You're No Chips - Halo 4: What do Marines know about sticks?
---- I'm gonna feel silly if these Chips Dubbo achievements wind up being almost impossible to miss with IWHBYD turned on or something.

These are the only 11 achievements across all 4 titles that I'm not 100% certain I either have nailed down or at least know the method for (looking at you, Halo 2 Megg achievement).

Now here's a few things I think MIGHT apply to a couple of those Halo 3 easter egg achievements that I haven't nailed down...

Possible video for easter egg achievements:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwDG0-2vMqY

Jason Jones in his boxers?? Start vid at 7:26.

A grunt in a barrel on multiplayer map?? Possible achievement egg? Start vid at 2:11.

Start the above video at 8:45 to show the elephant flip. Might be one of the easter egg achievements? (Hold to flip… wait, what? How did you do that?)

Another potential easter egg for an achievement, the Red vs Blue egg. Guy banging on door in Crow’s Nest (different dialogue on different difficulties).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waL8K2SGR1M

Prepare your body for a HaloGAF seance...

I bring to you answers from the other side...

#3spoopyyyyyyyyyyyy

Sub-Zero at a Starbucks said:
#2spoopy4me

Chips Dubbo
Combat Evolved
Escorts Master Chief to the Bridge on Pillar of Autumn.
Halo 2
Appears on Outskirts, Hotel Zanzibar
Appears in Regret, following Hunter battle and boarding of Gondola - possibly up to Regret temple
Halo 3
Appears on Crow's Nest base hangar
Appears on The Storm, eliminating Anti-Air forces
Appears on The Ark, offers Gauss Warthog during Scarab battle
Appears in The Covenant, during Chief's push to the Shield Tower
Halo 4
Unknown, possibly refers to Stacker's appearance during the Tank segment in level Reclaimer

Six Pedals, Four Directions
The Arbiter can commandeer a Scorpion in the first open hilly segment of Quarantine Zone. The area is also marked with two Wraiths, and on some difficulties a Phantom will deploy ally Elites for you at this time.

Betcha can't stick it...
Important to note there are two Stealth Elite denominations: Stealth Minors and Stealth Majors. Stealth Minors are brown, while Majors are a steely gray. They utilize either single or dual Plasma Rifles and carry an Energy Sword backpacked. On Legendary, a sword-toting Stealth Elite prominently frequents Sniper Alley, and some Stealth Elites also show up either immediately before or after Hotel Zanzibar.

10 Minutes Too Early
Seeing the holo-drone pre-activation involves some grenade jump trickery by getting to the top of the manifolds in the "come out, so we may kill you / get in line" segment before the hologram actually appears.

E E E
The Metropolis signs are actually two variations in a single locations, immediately before entering the Marine command post initiating the "Field Expedient" segment. To find the sign, destroy both Wraiths and then take a left, taking the uphill street before you enter the command post. The sign is tucked away in a corner and will display one of two possible messages. The two possible variations are most likely the "two signs."

Sounds Familiar
"This stuff is your history!" is in reference to Flip Music during the 343 Guilty Spark Flood cutscene. Flip Music does not appear in Halo 3, so it likely has to do with Johnson, Mendoza or Bisenti - the marines originally carrying out the conversation.

Top Bottom