• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

dwells

The choices 343 makes man...honest question, does anybody find Steitzer's voice an improvement

so bizarre...

I really don't get it. I wanted to bring it up and ask Frankie why they decided to filter it all the sudden, but it seems like he gets offended anytime one of us voices disagreement with any of their design decisions.

My missus is pretty accommodating. If we didn't have a baby to take care of and a new house to purchase, another Xbone wouldn't be a big issue.

Sadly, I'll just have to figure a more bespoke setup out.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I can deal with the VO in multiplayer. It's a bit extreme and robotic, but I can deal. I do hope they patch the font for "CAPTURE" and stuff though, make it smaller.

3 weeks from today...

dwells

My missus is pretty accommodating. If we didn't have a baby to take care of and a new house to purchase, another Xbone wouldn't be a big issue.

Sadly, I'll just have to figure a more bespoke setup out.

Have you considered just buying a spare power brick and HDMI cable and physically moving the Xbox One when you want to play it on the monitor? As long as you don't need to mess with the wires, it's not much of a hassle.

Back in college when we would LAN Halo 2 (8v8 floor vs. floor matches were the business), I just had a monitor (big old CRT thing) that I kept on a spare desk along with a power cord and video cable in my friend's dorm across campus. That way I just had to bring the console itself over there.

Madness

I can deal with the VO in multiplayer. It's a bit extreme and robotic, but I can deal. I do hope they patch the font for "CAPTURE" and stuff though, make it smaller.

3 weeks from today...

Why even make it smaller? Why not get rid of it? I just don't get it and I don't mean you. This constant hand holding, as if new players are so devoid of any intelligence. Having them play 1-2 CTF matches before they get the hang of it and understand what to do isn't so bad. Maybe they have some data behind the scenes that shows a bunch of new players stop playing after a poor first game, but I don't know.

Their explanation for global ordnance and the many in favor of it was that spawns were so hard to learn as were the maps. It didn't stop any of us the previous games from playing the map once or twice before learning the spawns, the jumps, the key areas. But no, they needed random ordnance so they don't feel bad they can't take top mid where the rockers spawn etc.

If they feel they need the TEXT on screen all the time for new players, why not have it be able to be turned off? Including the grenade beep. I don't need text all match long telling me where to capture the flag. Anyone who plays Halo more than a day won't need it either, but no it needs to be there.

Steitzers voice did seem off and too robotic/filtered, but I'll get accustomed to it, stuff like the text I won't.

Impala26

If they did it right they could probably spin it off into a new IP; something that actually rivals Halo.

Should be a third-person, story-driven, combat-lite adventure game, IMHO.

*deep breath*

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!

I'm going to sound like a nerd here, but the only other game series I have followed with as much obsession as Halo in terms of characters, lore/universe, etc. was the Myst series. Obviously Myst and Halo are VERY different games, however, if anyone here knows about the Myst universe, there are a TON of interesting parallels between the history and culture of Forerunner society compared to that of the D'ni society in the Myst universe. Both are mythic "ancient" societies, both have at their foundation fantastical abilities to craft worlds, both societies are guild/republic based and both societies have a "superiority complex" compared to other inhabitants in the universe and that arrogance ultimately has a part in bringing them down.

All that said, an action-adventure story/exploration-based game set during the "Golden Age" or beginning of the collapse of Forerunner society would be a fantastic addition to the Halo series/universe.

Onikaan

Found my old copy of this:

511D21C35EL.jpg

Still smells like a fresh game manual.

Love the art in here.

Have you considered just buying a spare power brick and HDMI cable and physically moving the Xbox One when you want to play it on the monitor? As long as you don't need to mess with the wires, it's not much of a hassle.

Back in college when we would LAN Halo 2 (8v8 floor vs. floor matches were the business), I just had a monitor (big old CRT thing) that I kept on a spare desk along with a power cord and video cable in my friend's dorm across campus. That way I just had to bring the console itself over there.

If it was just me, yes I would totally do that. But I need to keep the TV stuff intact for the missus, hence the cable and HDMI switches.

Sephzilla

Guys, in 3 weeks we'll all be playing MCC.
Maybe, half of us will still be patching

511D21C35EL.jpg

Love the art in here.

I don't think I ever have or ever will again be so hyped for a single video game.

And god damn Chief's armor looks so much better

Onikaan

Guys, in 3 weeks we'll all be playing MCC.
Maybe, half of us will still be patching

I don't think I ever have or ever will again be so hyped for a single video game.

And god damn Chief's armor looks so much better

I got it launch day along with my Xbox as an early birthday gift. My dad even picked it up at midnight for me.

Played untill 3am and was a zombie at school the next day.

Worth the pain.

Impala26

511D21C35EL.jpg

Love the art in here.

Had the Limited Collector's Edition myself:

h2_lce_xbox_ntsc_02.jpg

My favorite part, and I didn't find out about this until sometime later after seeing a buddy's "standard" edition, was the fact that the instruction manual was slightly different--all the plot and character details were written from the COVENANT'S perspective. I absolutely loved that.

FyreWulff

Why even make it smaller? Why not get rid of it? I just don't get it and I don't mean you. This constant hand holding, as if new players are so devoid of any intelligence. Having them play 1-2 CTF matches before they get the hang of it and understand what to do isn't so bad. Maybe they have some data behind the scenes that shows a bunch of new players stop playing after a poor first game, but I don't know.

Pointing out capture and defend points is not treating players as if they are devoid of intelligence. It's just a helpful way to keep players informed of how the current game is playing. Most of the complaints I've seen are over the size of the text, not specifically that it's there. Previous Halos have had flag indicators and flag status UI (Halo 2 even has a red flag icon when your flag is away under the reticle).

I'd rather people know what the game wants them to do than hope they've had enough experience to learn the flag spawns and status of 100+ maps by heart.

Their explanation for global ordnance and the many in favor of it was that spawns were so hard to learn as were the maps. It didn't stop any of us the previous games from playing the map once or twice before learning the spawns, the jumps, the key areas. But no, they needed random ordnance so they don't feel bad they can't take top mid where the rockers spawn etc.

I've mentioned this before, but I've always felt if Halo 4 just had the weapon spawn indicators, that would have been a pretty cool upgrade for the UI. It doesn't need to be attached to the global ordnance system.

Also, spawning rules can be inconsistent from map to map in Halo games. How many people know which maps in Halo 2 let the sniper rifle respawn, and which ones don't? Learning spawns doesn't mean much if the spawn rules aren't even consistent. I remember all the spawn times and spawn rules of Halo 2's maps (sans the PC ones), not everyone has that halo-nerd-level memory vault.

Amusingly, "let them play 1-2 games of CTF" is the average statistic of how many objective games someone will play in previous Halo games before giving up on a playlist and never coming back that has mixed obj and slayer. It doesn't help that people will use objective as a chance to grief players, either.

Sephzilla

I got it launch day along with my Xbox as an early birthday gift. My dad even picked it up at midnight for me.

Played untill 3am and was a zombie at school the next day.

Worth the pain.

I was in my first semester of college when it came out, I don't remember if I skipped class or went to school (I probably only had like 2 classes that day) but I remember playing a ton of Halo 2 that day and going full zombie mode.

Onikaan

h2_lce_xbox_ntsc_02.jpg

My favorite part, and I didn't find out about this until sometime later after seeing a buddy's "standard" edition, was the fact that the instruction manual was slightly different--all the plot and character details were written from the COVENANT'S perspective. I absolutely loved that.

My copy of the CE is absolutely wrecked. I wish I had taken better care of it, but being carried back and forward to LAN matches has taken its toll on the poor thing. Yeah, the covenant manual is awesome.

I was in my first semester of college when it came out, I don't remember if I skipped class or went to school (I probably only had like 2 classes that day) but I remember playing a ton of Halo 2 that day and going full zombie mode.

Those were the days.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

511D21C35EL.jpg

Love the art in here.

I have this. I remember them selling it like a week or so before Halo 2 came out, which doesn't happen with guides now. I was so hyped for the game I bought it and read through it, and I don't typically buy guides at all.

h2_lce_xbox_ntsc_02.jpg

I also have this.

Karl2177

I didn't see a thread on this and Stelly said there was a bug associated with teh MCC download. Is there an official reason why this is? I don't see a point in downloading it now if it is going to fuck up.

AlStrong

I'd rather people know what the game wants them to do than hope they've had enough experience to learn the flag spawns and status of 100+ maps by heart.
Maybe they could take a page from Gears?
Sure, show the objectives at the start of the match, then have them disappear after 7 seconds or something.

Have an objective button assigned to one of the D-pad directions that shows the capture/defend/objective etc. whenever the user wants.

Ataxia

I didn't see a thread on this and Stelly said there was a bug associated with teh MCC download. Is there an official reason why this is? I don't see a point in downloading it now if it is going to fuck up.

I used 100GB of bandwidth downloading it >_<

Madness

Pointing out capture and defend points is not treating players as if they are devoid of intelligence. It's just a helpful way to keep players informed of how the current game is playing. Most of the complaints I've seen are over the size of the text, not specifically that it's there. Previous Halos have had flag indicators and flag status UI (Halo 2 even has a red flag icon when your flag is away under the reticle).

I've mentioned this before, but I've always felt if Halo 4 just had the weapon spawn indicators, that would have been a pretty cool upgrade for the UI. It doesn't need to be attached to the global ordnance system.

Also, spawning rules can be inconsistent from map to map in Halo games. How many people know which maps in Halo 2 let the sniper rifle respawn, and which ones don't? Learning spawns doesn't mean much if the spawn rules aren't even consistent. I remember all the spawn times and spawn rules of Halo 2's maps (sans the PC ones), not everyone has that halo-nerd-level memory vault.

Amusingly, "let them play 1-2 games of CTF" is the average statistic of how many objective games someone will play in previous Halo games before giving up on a playlist and never coming back that has mixed obj and slayer. It doesn't help that people will use objective as a chance to grief players, either.

gFlP9OG.png

Halo-2-Anniversary-Coag-2.png

I understand all that Fyre, I'll even say I agree, having the text makes it even more obvious what they want you to do, but now tell me why I shouldn't have the option to turn this off for my own game? Keep the flag indicators showing at all times, but why does the text need to be there or changing at each action for me, even a smaller size it's still unnecessary.

Let's be honest, the overwhelming majority of the people playing this game will have played a previous Halo game.

Apparently it fucks up if you download it in standby or whatever.

Downloading whilst keeping your console on and awake is fine.

YOLO KARL

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still hoping the jumbo text is from an old build. Guess we'll find out later this week during the IGN streams?

Sephzilla

Yeah that text is way too big and generally "in the way". Hoping its either an early build thing or something that can be toggled. 343 seems like they've been good with keeping things toggle-able so I'm hoping this is one option as well.

Those were the days.

I really miss those days. Realizing that Halo 2 is ten years old makes me feel old. I'm also crazy nostalgic for 2 in particular. Most of my close friends are all gamers but we have different tastes generally, but Halo was the one thing that we all played together.

FyreWulff

Maybe they could take a page from Gears?
Sure, show the objectives at the start of the match, then have them disappear after 7 seconds or something.

Have an objective button assigned to one of the D-pad directions that shows the capture/defend/objective etc. whenever the user wants.

Having it fade out a while after spawn works too.

The existing problem is with the execution, not the implementation.

dwells

My copy of the CE is absolutely wrecked. I wish I had taken better care of it, but being carried back and forward to LAN matches has taken its toll on the poor thing. Yeah, the covenant manual is awesome.

I hear that - mine's full of dings and scuffs and scratches. It's well-traveled.

Booties

Banned
Oh man finally got around to watching the Stonetown gameplay footage, and my first view of any footage from H2A PvP. That 1080p/60fps or whatever it really is looks so good in halo. I don't know what those 30 fps babbies are talking about. The reticule moves like it should and the gun fire/recoil is a lot cleaner.

Makes me excited for halo 3 PvP more than anything

h2_lce_xbox_ntsc_02.jpg

I never knew this, damn!

I used to own the CE set but had to sell it a year later because I was a poor student, when I bought it again I just had the regular version.

jem0208

Wow, the attention to detail there is awesome.

VinFTW

This month has been great for me. Besides the fact that im drowning in exam after exam and a constant flow of homework, getting out of class everyday at 12 with my lunch and sitting down to enjoy some MCC footage is a nice high point in an otherwise low, low month.

Top Bottom