• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Impala26

Before the storm of Halo 3 stuff, seeing as it's that time of the year, I wanted to take the time to appreciate some of the more glorious Halo costume creations I've seen.

halo_reach_cosplay_set_by_sekainoanimetv-d6se24q.jpg

5855453703_59b709d74a_z.jpg

062810_halo_elite_costume_1.jpg

halo_501_by_fofo128-d381sos.jpg

3419243826_776e4bb203_z.jpg

evil-fx-didact.jpg

There are some seriously talented artists out there... fantastic work all around!

Sephzilla

Oh god, yeah.

Optimatch forums were decent, it was just the general forums that sucked.

Honestly, I think I'd rank B.Net's forum as the worst forum I've ever visited. I've had more intelligent and entertaining discussions on /b/ . Their mods also made GAF's mods look consistent and fair.

Before the storm of Halo 3 stuff, seeing as it's that time of the year, I wanted to take the time to appreciate some of the more glorious Halo costume creations I've seen.

There are some seriously talented artists out there... fantastic work all around!

Holy crap at the Elite and the Didact. Crazy stuff.

Impala26

They should have Bravo 1v4 all the press teams.

That'll show 'em.

This reminds me, has there been any word on 343 bringing back handicaps for H2A custom games? I remember in the glory days of H2 doing FFA giving myself a heavy handicap so that my one friend who was TERRIBLE at the game (but still liked playing with us) a fighting chance.

We always did goofy stuff with our group like taking the two best players against 4 or 5 other folks in like CTF or Oddball. Lopsided matchups like this were honestly their own brand of randomness and fun.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm not sure how to phrase this without it seeming rude, but why is it that none of the staff at 343i (or Bungie) are any good at their own game?

Because people like us have been playing it religiously for multiple years, while they likely play in development and use their free time to play other games, so they don't get burnt out on their work?

Booshka

I'm not sure how to phrase this without it seeming rude, but why is it that none of the staff at 343i (or Bungie) are any good at their own game?

Spend more time working on them instead of playing them. It's not a 1:1 translation for skill, unless they are like QA or something, being a dev doesn't automatically mean they will be proficient players of their own game.

Sephzilla

Because people like us have been playing it religiously for multiple years, while they likely play in development and use their free time to play other games, so they don't get burnt out on their work?

This is pretty much the sole reason I went into a different field of programming instead of game programming. If I got into game programming I fear I would have burnt myself out a bit and possibly "ruined" my favorite hobby.

dwells

Spend more time working on them instead of playing them. It's not a 1:1 translation for skill, unless they are like QA or something, being a dev doesn't automatically mean they will be proficient players of their own game.

I was under the impression that they all did a ton of playtesting in office, I remember the old vidocs talking about how they'd often sit down for office LAN matches. Additionally, since they're designing the maps, weapons, etc., one would imagine that the familiarity with all that would lend itself to being able to apply that in terms of gameplay.

I played against Bungie a handful of times back in Halo 2, and it was always a slaughter. It seemed like most of them lacked even basic understanding of strategy, how to utilize the sandbox, etc. Really contributed to my skepticism whenever they would talk about balance and such in updates.

Madness

Everyone has an off game, plus we don't know exactly who was playing, but I believe our very own Tashi was on the losing team (one of the best players HaloGAF ever had though). Sometimes, people just aren't good at games, even ones they create. I would imagine IGN has played a lot of Halo themselves.

On a related note, based on stats when double checking gamertags, the best players here at Reach were Plywood, Tashi, Ramirez and Overdoziz. Now that ranks are back, will be interesting to see how people stack up, whether they still have it.

Yeah, 343 lost to IGN in the CTF game on Stonetown

Booshka

I was under the impression that they all did a ton of playtesting in office, I remember the old vidocs talking about how they'd often sit down for office LAN matches. Additionally, since they're designing the maps, weapons, etc., one would imagine that the familiarity with all that would lend itself to being able to apply that in terms of gameplay.

I played against Bungie a handful of times back in Halo 2, and it was always a slaughter. It seemed like most of them lacked even basic understanding of strategy, how to utilize the sandbox, etc. Really contributed to my skepticism whenever they would talk about balance and such in updates.

Not all of them are playtesting a ton, and they won't improve as much because they play the same competition over and over, instead of climbing up a skill ladder and facing tougher opponents.

I can still believe that designers know balance and mechanics even if they aren't very good at their games. John Howard (Lead Designer on Shadowrun and Halo CE) is pretty bad at his games, and they are the two best MP FPS on Consoles.

Is there a hard drive space difference for digital vs physical installs on X1? If not, I'm going to cancel my Amazon preorder for digital so I can download the extra 20GBs in advance.

Is there anything I'm missing? I already know the preorder skulls are different.

jem0208

Just got around to watching the new Zanzibar footage. I actually don't mind the new announcer. I think it sounds fine during the actual gameplay. It does sound a bit weird during the intial waiting screen though. The way he says "score".

Hardly an issue though because it sounds fine during gameplay.

RowdyReverb

Halo 3 looks damn good. I tried it again recently to see just how bad the resolution used to be. Yeesh. I wish they would have shown a shot of him looking across to the other side of Narrows since the pixelation really reared its ugly head there.

Mix

HOLY FUCK BALLS BATMAN, it's beautiful. I cannot handle this right now. I need it, you've ruined me Fankie, and the rest of the team, please give it to me now.

IMO I was never a big fan of Halo 3's color pallet, it looks a bit too washed out

What? This is not the game that has that issue, there are at least two games in the series with that problem, and this is definitely not one of them.

The video is a nice short view of Halo 3 Campaign and multiplayer at 1080p, 60 fps. While it looks excellent and so smooth I still have my doubt's in terms of the feel of the game and its responsivenss. The BR still looks as inconsistent as ever. These doubt's will probably be somewhat mitigated when I can actually play the game.

Sephzilla

What? This is not the game that has that issue, there are at least two games in the series with that problem, and this is definitely not one of them.

It's nowhere near as washed out as, say, Halo 4 was in spots. But I dunno, something about Halo 3 just doesn't pop as much as 1 or 2 did color wise. It's absolutely nothing that hurts my enjoyment of the game though, to be clear. And in some places the game looks 100% amazing.

Booshka

The video is a nice short view of Halo 3 Campaign and multiplayer at 1080p, 60 fps. While it looks excellent and so smooth I still have my doubt's in terms of the feel of the game and its responsivenss. The BR still looks as inconsistent as ever. These doubt's will probably be somewhat mitigated when I can actually play the game.

H3 BR has intentionally designed and programmed randomness, so it will always be inconsistent to a certain degree. Better resolution and framerate, along with better netcode should make getting used to its "intended randomness" a lot easier though.

I disagree with it outright though, I should be able to manage the recoil, spread, and inaccuracy of a weapon with my own skill, it shouldn't be programmed to be random with no mechanic of player correction.

jem0208

Damn it, they closed the patch thread just as I tried to post a reply to Fyre's claims that the MCC isn't good value ._.

Anyway, still can't watch the Halo 3 footage.

Edit: Holy shit, it's working!

Top Bottom