• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Is there a hard drive space difference for digital vs physical installs on X1? If not, I'm going to cancel my Amazon preorder for digital so I can download the extra 20GBs in advance.

Is there anything I'm missing? I already know the preorder skulls are different.

still looking for this information if anyone has it

Trey

I went and read Fyre's posts. His major argument is that the collection has to "stand for something more." And it does - he even mentioned some of the things it stands for. A unified UI, having everything in one place, etc. Even further, it represents a game company recognizing its rabid and (tough) loving fanbase, and catering to them in many ways with this love letter of a collection. They're taking feedback gracefully and implementing it. That alone is priceless. It shows 343's dedication to a franchise that I care about. It shows they've learned from their past mistakes.

But that kind of stuff you can't put on the box. MS has to sell this game too, and slapping superlative after superlative under a bulletpoint list of all the stuff in this collection, underscoring it with "all for 60 dollars! pls buy now," is how they're going to do it. That's marketing, but communities such as this can read between the lines and still find value. But people are going to constantly bring up its pricepoint to content ratio - that's important to a lot of people. That's why people are throwing around terms like "unprecedented;" I can't think of a game collection that is as well modernized with the standard accouterments of the day as MCC.

Same size. Physical version is patched to match the digital one (so there's only ever a single "version" of the game.

Great, thanks! So that leads me to wonder...why would anyone buy physical besides the tinfoil hat guys thinking MS is going to take their digital games away from them?

Madness

Sad to see Fyre be banned for nothing inflammatory at all whereas that one junior who was basically trolling like crazy is still around.

No man, read from this page on. Fyre's posts begin at #1827 and are kind of out there. To say the $60 price point is not a good indication of value is beyond me, especially after everything brought up to counter his argument.
Yeah I just went back and looked and I'm still somewhat baffled by what he is saying. Bringing Halo 1 (whether you appreciate it being the pc port or not) and Halo 2 back to xbox live is a big deal alone. Making everything 1080p / 60fps is a pretty big deal on top of that. 343 is injecting juice back into halo matchmaking. Plus you've got re-imagined Halo 2 multiplayer maps and H2A campaign. Sure you can buy all the games separately - possibly for a cheaper price, but that's like purposefully ignoring the fact that you'd have to dig out your og xbox or 360 to play them and then what kind of player population are you going to have? They've combined all 4 games into a single game, which should hugely benefit player population. I fail to see where he's coming from with the game not being a good value. That's not excusing any of the problems with each of the games that may or may not have been fixed, but come on...
... Or reread his posts and understand where he is coming from. There's more to value than a price point. When you attempt to pass off value-added pricing as one of your main marketing points, there are going to be people that research and critique it. Now there's a lot marketing research that shows your predisposition towards marketers, creators, retailers, etc. will influence how you interpret the results. Take a look at his thread that he linked. His position of Microsoft's marketing is negative, largely because of the "14 Day Buy and Play" cover up. Now when he does research and finds that you can in fact purchase all but H2A for under $60, he isn't going to be positive about the fact that the value-added pricing scheme is being used.

To Madness: The way I interpreted Fyre's post was that you have to look beyond what the marketing is telling you to look at. I agree with his perspective, but the selling point for me is that I can have Halo 1, 2, and 3 without having to change discs and with a healthy online population(at least for a while).
Again, go ahead and buy all the games separately for cheaper than 60 bucks. Then tell me how much you enjoy playing by yourself with no matchmaking and with non 1080p/60fps versions. That alone to most people is worth 60 bucks, not to mention the newly redone H2 multiplayer maps and H2A campaign. Some peopel have a warped sense of value.

And ugh I'm tired of hearing about the "14 Day Buy and Play" thing. It was a mistake which players knowingly took advantage of and then wanted to castrate MS for rectifying the mistake. A bunch of butt hurt fans freaking out cuz they didn't something free that was never supposed to be free. Welcome to the real world.

VinFTW

Don't think you guys should dicuss bans, IMO, PM a mod to take a look at it. Honestly, I'm confused as to why one is free and the other is banned too but, best to take it to PMs with a mod.

As to the person who said "why would anyone buy physical" (too lazy to quote :p), I will buy physical despite its inconvenience because I have all the original game cases for every Halo game I bought and I want to keep that tradition/collection alive :D

willow ve

And ugh I'm tired of hearing about the "14 Day Buy and Play" thing. It was a mistake which players knowingly took advantage of and then wanted to castrate MS for rectifying the mistake. A bunch of butt hurt fans freaking out cuz they didn't something free that was never supposed to be free. Welcome to the real world.

I think the issue that most gamers (GAFfers) were "butt hurt" about was the Microsoft PR Lie Machine. Just admit there was a mistake and own up to it. Don't try to spin it as a feature called "14 Day Buy and Play"

I will say they kind of shot themselves in the foot with that one. I did download. I did get the achievements. I did hate the maps. Framerate on those was just abysmal. If I hadn't played them for free I'm 90% sure I would have bought them (something in my needs the bleep-bloop; I'm trying to excise this from my personality when I jump to Xbox One).

----

Edit - On the Physical v Digital debate.

Physical means I can both buy and sell used games. This helps me fund future gaming purchases (or just get some money back if the game is bad). Digital is much more convenient and is probably the way I would go with games I "know" I will play forever (MCC, yes).

One thing they need to do is drop the digital price points faster. When a used copy of Destiny is going for ~$35-$40 why would I ever buy the digital download for $60. The convenience of not swapping a disc isn't worth $20 to me.

As to the person who said "why would anyone buy physical" (too lazy to quote :p), I will buy physical despite its inconvenience because I have all the original game cases for every Halo game I bought and I want to keep that tradition/collection alive :D

This is practically the only reason I'm doing it too! That and I want space on my hard drive for future indie games.

Madness

They literally lied about the 14 Day Buy and Play. There wasn't a single mention of it anywhere in the world, except later when Kotaku and IGN ran their PR piece.

Would have gone over much easier to just say, we messed up, this shouldn't have been free, we're going to lock it because it's not fair to those who paid, but please enjoy it for a week or two.

Caja 117

Don't think you guys should dicuss bans,

Yeah, We should drop it.

@BigEvilTurtle I thnk the game will take the same amount of HDD space regardless of the media.

tootsi666

This is practically the only reason I'm doing it too! That and I want space on my hard drive for future indie games.
You know that physical and digital take as much space from the HDD?
I'm buying digital, but I would really like to have the case so I'm probably buying the physical version when it's under 10 euros.

willow ve

Serious question - If you buy the physical copy of the MCC you still have to install it to your hard drive. You also need to download the day 1 20GB patch.

If you later uninstall the game from your drive (to make room for other games, etc.) will you be able to choose to leave the 20GB patch installed? Otherwise that'll be a bitch to juggle data down the road.

Should just be a user replaceable hard drive

TheOddOne

i4X2LRdM8Agvw.png

916.gif

I think the issue that most gamers (GAFfers) were "butt hurt" about was the Microsoft PR Lie Machine. Just admit there was a mistake and own up to it. Don't try to spin it as a feature called "14 Day Buy and Play"

I will say they kind of shot themselves in the foot with that one. I did download. I did get the achievements. I did hate the maps. Framerate on those was just abysmal. If I hadn't played them for free I'm 90% sure I would have bought them (something in my needs the bleep-bloop; I'm trying to excise this from my personality when I jump to Xbox One).
Um how about fans admit that they tried to steal something that wasn't supposed to be free? Apparently only MS is guilty of doing anything wrong. I don't feel sorry for gamers that do this and actually find gamers more distrustful than the actual corporation that gamers decry as the big bad wolf. Gamers try and take advantage of every little thing and then play the blame game when it doesn't work. Well boo hoo. Someone cry me a river so I can ride on a boat to the land of butt hurt with a flag that says, "this is your own fault."

Unlike the people in here.. I would smack the fuck out of you and do in front of thousands of people and give 0 fucks. That's who... so listen you want to troll you want to be funny do it with other members in the FGC weekly, but if you step to me I swear to fucking god I beat the shit out of your entire family tree. And no I'm not joking or doing it for laughs like I do with Panda and Beef. So just leave my name out of your mouth and go on with your business.
YBdAZA8.gif

TheOddOne

... Or reread his posts and understand where he is coming from. There's more to value than a price point. When you attempt to pass off value-added pricing as one of your main marketing points, there are going to be people that research and critique it. Now there's a lot marketing research that shows your predisposition towards marketers, creators, retailers, etc. will influence how you interpret the results. Take a look at his thread that he linked. His position of Microsoft's marketing is negative, largely because of the "14 Day Buy and Play" cover up. Now when he does research and finds that you can in fact purchase all but H2A for under $60, he isn't going to be positive about the fact that the value-added pricing scheme is being used.

To Madness: The way I interpreted Fyre's post was that you have to look beyond what the marketing is telling you to look at. I agree with his perspective, but the selling point for me is that I can have Halo 1, 2, and 3 without having to change discs and with a healthy online population(at least for a while).
Co-sign.

#FreeFyre

II SHABUTIE II

Neo Member
I won't be home when IGN streams, but I bet I can predict what IGN will end up playing Phantom Pistols on Waterworks. People will also get upset when Ryan doesn't initially know what Phantom Pistols on Waterworks is.

Fuchsdh

To be fair, the footage showed a player that wasn't shooting the BR completely properly. He was missing quite a lot. The Halo 3 BR was a different beast because it wasn't hit scan. As a result a lot of people didn't think their shots connected. You have to lead your shots and often it's just better to aim for the chest and then pull up on the 4th shot.

Well, it was, just not after a certain point. Which I think made the problem worse in terms of how players reacted to it, making it feel less precise because when it would instantly hit versus when you needed to lead wasn't spelled out in-game.

Well, it was, just not after a certain point. Which I think made the problem worse in terms of how players reacted to it, making it feel less precise because when it would instantly hit versus when you needed to lead wasn't spelled out in-game.

Not sure what you mean. Here is the bungie weekly update that explained all of this clearly. Halo 3 BR is not a hitscan weapon:

http://halo.bungie.net/news/content.aspx?cid=14347

Wow, that looks really, really good.

Call me crazy, but visually the colors are popping and everything looks way sharper than our first look before.

First look at halo nightfall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MR2rN198zw

features beautiful frankie saying words.

Damn I am excited for this... that suspected Lekgolo thing looks incredibly creepy. The entire production quality looks insane.

Nightfall trailer got me thinking.

Why has no developer used the Hunter Worms to do something more interesting. We got scarabs in H3 and thats about it. They can pretty much take any form.

Another note... Was the organic nature of the SpOps harvester ever explained. Is it a stylistic thing for the covenant?

500px-Harvester_Sculpt.jpg
This thing looks straight out of Gears of War. Even the inside was organic looking. It looked like it had a spine and skin.

sopsep10-027.jpg

I always figured the Harvester was something they had bigger plans for from SP, but it got cut. I'm not super fond for how 'scary' it looks, which give it the GoW vibe, but I like the insect concept.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection |OT| 106 maps. 4 games. 1 Chief.
This gets my vote. Some the others were funny, but this is a huge package, and the title sums it up nicely.

Halo 5 should have raids imo.

Have the infinity simulate some crazy shit.
Something like this would be awesome, but I also want to see the return of ODST style Firefight.

Impala26

Okay, why did this piss people off?

I believe because the DLC was part of the packaged "Season Pass" that people got when buying the Limited Edition, but was still available as a separate pre-order for others not long after. In general it was the first map pack DLC that was $9.99 retail (I believe) and folks were just getting it for free (due to a glitch) while there were people that had already PRE-PAID for it.

jem0208

Fyre is only banned for 2 weeks
Oh that's not too bad. Still, wonder why he was banned...

I believe because the DLC was part of the packaged "Season Pass" that people buying the Limited Edition. In general it was DLC that was $9.99 retail (I believe) and folks were just getting it for free while there were people that had already PRE-PAID for it.
Oh... it was only for 14 days though. Did that really bother people that much...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Fyre says he's not perma'd.

btw, if I ever get perma'd hold my funeral on Halo 2 Sanctuary, please.

Top Bottom