• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

It looks like plastic. I would've liked variations of Locke's armour from what we've seen so far. Dark grey, lined with lights from colour of respective teams, but perhaps a bit more obvious than this (e.g.. lighting on the legs, arms and helmet as well):

0.jpg

That's because it's a beta model, that isn't fully textured. In game, they've made Chief an almost black/green armor.

You know how stupid it will look having dark Spartans hiding in the shade with only small lights illuminating their differences? That's why we have Red Vs Blue. Easy contrast between the two, and especially between maps.

Cow

That's because it's a beta model, that isn't fully textured. In game, they've made Chief an almost black/green armor.

You know how stupid it will look having dark Spartans hiding in the shade with only small lights illuminating their differences? That's why we have Red Vs Blue. Easy contrast between the two, and especially between maps.

I'm not saying small lights slightly illuminating their differences. I'm saying a shit tonne of lights lining their entire dark armour so that they are easily spotted and clearly distinguished anywhere.

They can make the Spartan looks "real" in sp, but distinguishable colors are extremely important for Halo mp and mp in general.

The exaggerations, come on. Titanfall player models are small, dark, and still distinguishable from each other and in dark areas. I can't see how Halo with it's hulking spartan player models would be missed in a small corner while being illuminated by armor glow.

Madness

I'm not saying small lights slightly illuminating their differences. I'm saying a shit tonne of lights lining their entire dark armour so that they are easily spotted and clearly distinguished anywhere.

How is that better than solid color armor solely meant as a visual aid? Gameplay and fun should always trump realism/feelings.

Red vs Blue has long been used because they are primary colors with strong contrasts. Think military, boxing, politics, anything. It's not about black armor with red accents.

As it is, colors were already pretty washed out in Halo 4 where red looked pale orange, blue looked almost lavender. But it's whatever, you like what you like I guess, no harm in that.

Ramirez

Yah, why couldn't we have gotten that in Multi? Instead we get shiny arcady looking plastic. Not even a good plastic look like say Portal, no. We get something out of Toys R US.

One of Halo's major strong points in MP is a clean visual experience, allowing you to discern friend and foe very quickly. Keep the floating debris and Browns in military shooters, thanks.

Keep the floating debris and Browns in military shooters, thanks.

That's another point of ridiculousness. Bungie did enough damage with lines of sight and obstruction with horrific map design then floating debris ever did for COD, Gears of War, or any other shooter.

Gears had a map with torrential downpour and that didn't obscure anything.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Halo 5 Locke looks like MCC Haven

Forge map, stat!

That's another point of ridiculousness. Bungie did enough damage with lines of sight and obstruction with horrific map design then floating debris ever did for COD, Gears of War, or any other shooter.

What? Halo's had some of the greatest MP maps ever created. Bungie had a hand in most of them.

Cow

How is that better than solid color armor solely meant as a visual aid? Gameplay and fun should always trump realism/feelings.

Red vs Blue has long been used because they are primary colors with strong contrasts. Think military, boxing, politics, anything. It's not about black armor with red accents.

As it is, colors were already pretty washed out in Halo 4 where red looked pale orange, blue looked almost lavender. But it's whatever, you like what you like I guess, no harm in that.

Really it's no better or worse in its job as a visual aid on gameplay than a solid armour colour. I believe it would provide a fresh look to the multiplayer of the franchise.

I'm mainly arguing that I think Halo should be changing more radically than it has been in it's artistic design rather than the drastic changes we are seeing to core gameplay mechanics.

Welfare

Really it's no better or worse in its job as a visual aid on gameplay than a solid armour colour. I believe it would provide a fresh look to the multiplayer of the franchise.

I'm mainly arguing that I think Halo should be changing more radically than it has been in it's artistic design rather than the drastic changes we are seeing to core gameplay mechanics.
So change for the sake of change?

Gotcha

Big blue or red lights on spartans would get annoying. They'd have to be really bright for btb maps too. Blue and Red spartans are simple and effective.

Mix

K, hit-markers shouldn't be a thing in Halo. The visual feedback you get from hitting an enemy should be feedback enough. you had what, 10 years of Halo before it was introduced and I'm pretty sure I never heard nor read anywhere that someone thought Halo needed hit-markers.

For example, in Halo you have these neat things called Energy shields. your energy shied should glow in response to being tagged by high impact projectiles and super-heated plasma as well as forerunner formed hard light. For this example, we'll use a Battle Rifle. Standard issue in the UNSC, nothing fancy. A Spartan can take 3 shots before their shield "pops" or goes out for about a three second recharge time. After this pop, the spartan is completely vulnerable to a headshot which will down him/her. The visual cue you should receive here/have received for 10+ years is this:

first shot: Shield glows, giving decent feedback. maybe equal to an energy sword glowing.
second shot: Shield glows much brighter, almost as bright as a grenade explosion.
third shot: This is where the "pop" takes place, after the third round of the third shot hits the target Spartan, the shied pops and sparks fall off of the spartan as the shield struggles to revive itself.
fourth shot: Spartan is taken down, blood is released from the body a la video games.

Now, this is how it's worked in past Halo games, but what should we do about people wanting it to give off something more? Maybe it's not enough that the shield glows, and I agree with this to a point. I think that the proper balance for hitmarker vs. non is the Halo 4 beta build's version of feedback which was sparks falling from the Spartan in the location from where he/she was hit. This was really well represented in the GIF from the Conan O'Brien episode that featured a few 343 devs demoing the game as seen below
Conan2.gif

This is what needs to replace hit markers, especially the audible ones. Make it happen, 343.

Ramirez

Yea, ok.

K, hit-markers shouldn't be a thing in Halo. The visual feedback you get from hitting an enemy should be feedback enough. you had what, 10 years of Halo before it was introduced and I'm pretty sure I never heard nor read anywhere that someone thought Halo needed hit-markers.

For example, in Halo you have these neat things called Energy shields. your energy shied should glow in response to being tagged by high impact projectiles and super-heated plasma as well as forerunner formed hard light. For this example, we'll use a Battle Rifle. Standard issue in the UNSC, nothing fancy. A Spartan can take 3 shots before their shield "pops" or goes out for about a three second recharge time. After this pop, the spartan is completely vulnerable to a headshot which will down him/her. The visual cue you should receive here/have received for 10+ years is this:

first shot: Shield glows, giving decent feedback. maybe equal to an energy sword glowing.
second shot: Shield glows much brighter, almost as bright as a grenade explosion.
third shot: This is where the "pop" takes place, after the third round of the third shot hits the target Spartan, the shied pops and sparks fall off of the spartan as the shield struggles to revive itself.
fourth shot: Spartan is taken down, blood is released from the body a la video games.

Now, this is how it's worked in past Halo games, but what should we do about people wanting it to give off something more? Maybe it's not enough that the shield glows, and I agree with this to a point. I think that the proper balance for hitmarker vs. non is the Halo 4 beta build's version of feedback which was sparks falling from the Spartan in the location from where he/she was hit. This was really well represented in the GIF from the Conan O'Brien episode that featured a few 343 devs demoing the game as seen below
Conan2.gif

This is what needs to replace hit markers, especially the audible ones. Make it happen, 343.
Job pre order cancelled.

Conan2.gif

This cannot be stated enough. This post needs to be quoted everyday in every page.

Cow

Man, they should make lightsabers more realistic looking. Too much color. #waroncolor

How about you either stay silent on the topic, or back up your opinions with some logic and well constructed arguments as to why artistic style should change minimally rather than just childish sarcasm. Why is more realistic bad? Please, tell me why more "realistic" means less colour in a sic-fi universe and please tell me why you insist on making sarcastic statements in an attempt to belittle the topic when some people here want to have this discussion.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
That fucking 23mb gif makes this page feel like it's running on 56k.

Decided to mess around with the MCC theater and upload studio.

https://onedrive.live.com/?gologin=1&mkt=en-US#cid=FFB6EB1D8CB9C90D&id=FFB6EB1D8CB9C90D!124&v=3

What do you guys think?

That link doesn't work. Is this the video you were trying to post?

http://media.giphy.com/media/TlK63EOEprKFFJ51kOI/giphy.gif

Fixed for Granadier and Ram's Kentuck internet.

Dunno what it is, but I was trying to post the same gif in response to your earlier post and it was laggy as all holy hell, so I gave up.

The red / blue dichotomy in Pokémon releases is so overdone, they should just make all the boxart mascots jet black and strap some LEDS and space knives and shit on them and call it a day. It'd be a way better way to handle the franchise aesthetic moving forward if Pokémon had some visual grittiness, you know? I want Pikachus soaked in blood and dirt, Charizards bathing in the viscera of their foes, Jigglypuffs dancing on the graves of their enemies.

Mix

Yeah same vid.

@Deception So you were in MCC theater and then used Xbox capture? Seems like you could do some interesting things with that method.

I actually don't mind gun hitmarkers (I think they are fairly benign), but strong visual indication like shield damage is a much better way to communicate damage output to players.

Still not on board with grenade hitmarkers or indicators, though. Glad to see that indicators are missing in the H5 footage so far.

I feel the same about this. I've been super happy to see them missing from everything so far.

Deception

Yeah same vid.

@Deception So you were in MCC theater and then used Xbox capture? Seems like you could do some interesting things with that method.

I actually don't mind gun hitmarkers (I think they are fairly benign), but strong visual indication like shield damage is a much better way to communicate damage output to players.

Still not on board with grenade hitmarkers or indicators, though. Glad to see that indicators are missing in the H5 footage so far.

Yeah I basically just recorded 3 separate clips from the vantage points I wanted in the mcc theater and then i saved them to my game DVR opened upload studio, made a multi clip 5x and then trimmed those clips accordingly. Would be useful to make full on montages later on.

Grenade hit markers are cheating and so is the announcer telling me the enemy picked up the power weapons when I didn't see it happen.

343 please understand that part of strategy and arena competition is keeping info from the enemy team. Grenade hit markers and announcers telling me things that I or a teammate should communicate is NOT fostering competetive gameplay.

Omni

I did the extra levels that weren't recorded in Halo 4 and completed that on Legendary. As far as I'm aware I should have got two achievements for that and the other one for doing the series on legendary. But I didn't

Do they just take a while to pop up?

Mix

Getting to terminal velocity should take more than one second when sprinting. it's damn near instant.

Halo 5 also has a gorgeous score sheet while in game. Seeing it come up just makes me happy.

Omni

The red / blue dichotomy in Pokémon releases is so overdone, they should just make all the boxart mascots jet black and strap some LEDS and space knives and shit on them and call it a day. It'd be a way better way to handle the franchise aesthetic moving forward if Pokémon had some visual grittiness, you know? I want Pikachus soaked in blood and dirt, Charizards bathing in the viscera of their foes, Jigglypuffs dancing on the graves of their enemies.

I know you're joking

but I'd totally buy that game

jem0208

I don't really see the issue with weapon hit markers. I like shield flare too but I don't see why we can't have both.

They're very unobtrusive and don't block your view or get in the way. I can't really see any negatives to keeping them. Maybe make them a toggle if some people really do not like them. Personally I'd rather have them then not.

If you're shooting at a distance they're nice to have. Also if you're team shooting someone shield flare kinda becomes useless as a hit market.

Grenade hit markers on the other hand need to go.

HTupolev

If you're shooting at a distance they're nice to have.
But unless the core visual feedback is worse than it probably should be, hitmarkers won't add much.

Also if you're team shooting someone shield flare kinda becomes useless as a hit market.
Err, what? Why are we team shooting? How does team shooting make shield flare (and related visual indicators) useless?

?????

Cow

How would you trap the light or plasma and prevent it from traveling long distances? Well you could have a retractable blade that emits the light or a rod the extends as long as the desired blade lenght that could trap the light/plasma. That might work.

Or what would more likely work is that you would place the hilt of the lightsaber near your ass, aiming it up and then activate it. It would probably wouldn't go very far since your head is already so far up it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom