• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
If Halo moved away from Red vs. Blue defaults I think that would literally be the end.

Riots in Kirkland.

FyreWulff

There's a reason they don't have super dark armor as an option anymore, it lets players hide themselves in the shadow too easily, and then everyone optimizes by going with dark colors, so you just wasted time implementing color choices in.

Although it was funny in Halo 2 that due to how the Elite armor colors worked, if your secondary armor color was set up a certain way, an Elite looked like they were on both teams :p

3. The whole Red Vs Blue is tiresome. Couldn't they do something else? or maybe have lights omitting from the armor indicating red or blue but leave the spartans with darker colors?

Hol' up hol' up hol' up, we gon' do it like this, OK? I'mma tell you where I'm from, OK? You gon' tell me where you from, OK? Or where your Grandma stay, where your mama stay, or where your daddy stay, OK?

Mix

Just rewatched all the Greenskull gameplay and I think the game looks really really fun, the only thing that's reall bothering me right now is the sound design. The shields and the weapons are the biggest offenders. I hate the high pitch ping with hitmarkers, I don't like that the BR sounds like it's firing one shot when it's firing 3, and I think I've changed my mind a bit on the Spartans talking to one another, it's okay for the big things, but the power weapon announcements, the constant chatter, and the pointless "good aim" are all really annoying. Cut it down to things like, one shot in blue hall or something like that, I swear I heard "there's one in red yard" like 5 times within a minute at the beginning.

But then again, there are elements that I like, such as Steizer isn't as bad as he was in Halo 4 and the grenades have a really heavy, beefy ring to them when they hit the ground which is super cool.

I love that the scope on the sniper rifle doesn't give off the ADS vibe, but at the same time, I think I'm starting to like the new BR zoom (which has increased from 2x to 2.5x) and the pistol and SMG. Still not too fond of the AR zoom. The SMG needs a nerf IMO, it looks way too strong, the AR looks like it finally fits well in the sandbox, and the DMR doesn't seem quite as OP as it's H4 iteration.

EDIT: Also, if I'm being nit picky, I think that if you start to sprint after the cool down is up and your shields aren't done recharging, they should stop and have to cool down again. It's all supposed to be tied to the suit, so it should work that way.

Overall, very excited about the beta. It's only 28 days away!

Now someone wants to get rid of the Red and Blues?

Jesus Christ, does everything need to be brown and gray?

Not necessarily brown and gray but realistic. I thought Halo in the next gen was going to look like their live action pieces directed by Neil Blomkamp. Something real and gritty.

This arcady look is weak.

Yah i know but fuck i always wanted a more modern looking halo and that's never going to happen when they look like plastic toys.

I'm happy that the skybox is more active, and that the maps look like they're active environments. That's all the modern I need design-wise.

I'm not at all crazy over the victory poses, but hopefully those are customizable so I can have one less douche. Sadly, with how Spartan IVs are being portrayed, it's gonna be the norm. Thankfully Locke's team looks appropriately badass.

FyreWulff

Not necessarily brown and gray but realistic. I thought Halo in the next gen was going to look like their live action pieces directed by Neil Blomkamp. Something real and gritty.

Halo has never been gritty grimdark. It's been (mostly) the most colorful M-rated shooter out there.

Player color schemes have actual gameplay implications to them. If you make everyone super busy and dark, you're going to have a shit time being able to pick out targets and play the game.

Granadier

Yah i know but fuck i always wanted a more modern looking halo and that's never going to happen when they look like plastic toys.

giphy.gif

Ghazi

I wish there weren't hitmarkers on nades, other than maybe stickies if you nail the stick. I could see that being really satisfying and something worthy of confirmation. Also wish there weren't sounds for hitmarkers, they're rather annoying.

Cow

I agree on this one, I feel like spartan models took a step back in Halo 4. You could have darker/grittier underlying armour that is lined with red or blue lights and visors. This would give it a more realistic feel yet make it very distinctive where a player is and what team they are on.

It really is a minor issue though.

Modern-looking or just-like-every-other-shooter looking?

What I mean to say is, your opinion should be shot into the sun and a monument erected to remind us that our days will never be as graced with Bad as they are now with it lingering here.

Booshka

I wish there weren't hitmarkers on nades, other than maybe stickies if you nail the stick. I could see that being really satisfying and something worthy of confirmation. Also wish there weren't sounds for hitmarkers, they're rather annoying.

113px-Stick_It_Medal.svg.png

Nade hitmarkers need to go.

Mix

I'd like to see the new movement abilities sans sprint. I think if you upped the movement to like 110% or maybe 125% and kept the thrusters it would be fucking fun.

You could have darker/grittier underlying armour that is lined with red or blue lights and visors. .
Yah i never understood why this couldn't be done.

Modern-looking or just-like-every-other-shooter looking?

What I mean to say is, your opinion should be shot into the sun and a monument erected to remind us that our days will never be as graced with Bad as they are now with it lingering here.

Why does real mean like every other shooter? There's different aesthetic that can look real without looking like everything out there. What a silly notion.

heckfu

Banned
Hey sorry gang if this has already been talked about at length, but I just now saw.

But 15,000 XBL points for buying MCC in December? Are MS/343 really ok with promoting a product with an incentive that doesn't work? Holy moly this is super scummy.

Welfare

What the fuck is this shit?

Oh no bright colors! I need muh realistic colors. How dare we not have gray combat suits with "lights".

I bet you're the ones that wanted purple out of Halo.

Oh no bright colors! I need muh realistic colors. How dare we not have gray combat suits with "lights".

Nah bro. Sorry. Halo is like if Tron decided to stick to the 1980s look lol instead of modernizing

Halo
CFpqIQB.jpg

Everything else
qVe4Dtfl.jpg

Cow

It doesn't have to be no bright colours. They could just do the whole red vs blue thing better. I'd be all for dark spartans with armour lined with bright blue/red lights and respective visor colours as mentioned before. Halo 5 spartans look too much like Halo 4 to me.

A side note: The animation in that new game type where they jump through the air and pull the gun out is really bad... cool idea executed in a way that just looks lame.

Positives of Halo 5 is that the aiming seems difficult, descope is back and emphasis is on weapon control.

Mix

why does Halo need to become more generic? "Ugh, it's not like battlefield or CAWD, Why can't I go prone, where's my uav kill streak?" Modernization is something that is all fine and dandy with other shooters, but has not place in Halo. Halo isn't supposed to be hyper-realistic, it's supposed to be ridiculous arena style fun.

Madness

I'd like to see the new movement abilities sans sprint. I think if you upped the movement to like 110% or maybe 125% and kept the thrusters it would be fucking fun.

0hF0lcA.jpg

That's what I've been saying. Increase the movement and strafe speed and then have the universal abilities, remove sprint. This way, it gives greater weight to pulling a thrust forward or backward, a charge/dash/slide, etc.

You'd have no need for these much larger maps, or the no shield recharge stuff.

Cow

The best.

I know people don't want Halo to be Halo anymore, but come on.

And I will never take an argument seriously if all you say is "modernization".

Come on man.

Art style is one thing. Changes to core mechanics is another.

I'm all for keeping Halo's core gameplay mechanics traditional, I despise sprint and the armour ability introductions. However, there is always room for improvement in art style and the trends in what people like in art styles change a lot faster than the type of game they like to play. In sports you often see teams changing their colour and kit style, the game itself rarely changes. 343 should be more ambitious with the spartan model and map aesthetics, and tweak existing mechanics until we are left with the perfect version of the game we love. Efforts such as that new map with the grid floor should be welcomed. That looks fresh and new. Armour abilities are a radical change, look gimmicky and annoying.

Granadier

That's what I've been saying. Increase the movement and strafe speed and then have the universal abilities, remove sprint. This way, it gives greater weight to pulling a thrust forward or backward, a charge/dash/slide, etc.

You'd have no need for these much larger maps, or the no shield recharge stuff.

My hope is that 343 is listening and will at least test this sort of setup out in a playlist or something during the beta.

I have a feeling that this would create some truly epic gameplay.

Yah i never understood why this couldn't be done.

Why does real mean like every other shooter? There's different aesthetic that can look real without looking like everything out there. What a silly notion.

For one, "real" is a useless benchmark for games. You need the game to be fun and visually comprehensible not be "real". Red and Blue work fantastically well for differentiating teams and there is zero reason to change it. Most people aren't playing multiplayer to feel immersed as a supersoldier and if they are 343i has obviously created this lored-up framework of spartan training if people are so inclined anyway.

Two, whenever someone brings up the idea of "realistic" aesthetics they are usually thinking of Call of Duty. Or Battlefield. Or Titanfall. Or even Gears. Because what they are really thinking of is this largely fad-driven trend towards "grittiness" exemplified by muted desaturated colors which negatively affect gameplay for the sake of feeling almost-sort-of-vaguely like Saving Private Ryan.

Not only does this not do anything for the gameplay, but the Halo series has built a marketing niche around being a shooter that's not throwing dirt in your fucking face and pretending like you lived in a world directed Michael Bay. Actual color has been a hallmark of the universe for some time. Hell, just compare the boxes of Halo Megabloks to the Call of Duty ones. Halo's look works largely because it looks different, especially in the current market.

Three, if you want to start talking about realism in the Halo universe, I would recommend against it because it's useless. Realistic Halo combat would be you spawn and get glassed from Orbit. The End.

hahaaha it's keeping with tradition while making things look more sleek, or ya know, modern.

Not only are your opinions not-good, but your understanding of aesthetics is fundamentally shaky.

I'd get the whole gray and brown and the odd choices of tints being used in Halo maps.. but complaining over the RvB theme is pretty sad.

Madness

hahaaha it's keeping with tradition while making things look more sleek, or ya know, modern.

i'm not even going to ask you about your preference in clothing, i don't want to know. ;)

Halo-5-Guardians-Spartan-Mark-VI.png

How the heck is this not sleek, modern and yet keeping with tradition? Wait till the game is done and the armor is fully textured.

We're talking about a game set almost 600 years in the future with aliens, plasma weapons, and 7 foot supersoldiers.

Not only are your opinions not-good, but your understanding of aesthetics is fundamentally shaky.

My apologies man i didn't major in textiles.

Halo's look is dated. They haven't tried anything remotely interesting, would you argue that they have? I can't sit here and get into deep conversation with you about color pallets and off shades of purple. i just think Halo hasn't done enough to look up to par with everything else out there.

Cow

How the heck is this not sleek, modern and yet keeping with tradition? Wait till the game is done and the armor is fully textured.

It looks like plastic. I would've liked variations of Locke's armour from what we've seen so far. Dark grey, lined with lights from colour of respective teams, but perhaps a bit more obvious than this (e.g.. lighting on the legs, arms and helmet as well):

0.jpg

Karl2177

My apologies man i didn't major in textiles.

Halo's look is dated. They haven't tried anything remotely interesting, would you argue that they have? I can't sit here and get into deep conversation with you about color pallets and off shades of purple i just think Halo hasn't done enough to look up to par with everything else out there.

Aesthetics are one thing but the gameplay is king. Players can distinguish a red or blue player against a background far better than a neutral colored player against a background. If you have the neutral colors, players rely too heavily on the color of the reticle instead of other potential threats.

It looks like plastic. I would've liked variations of Locke's armour from what we've seen so far. Dark grey, lined with lights from colour of respective teams, but perhaps a bit more obvious than this (e.g.. lighting on the legs, arms and helmet as well):

0.jpg

Yah, why couldn't we have gotten that in Multi? Instead we get shiny arcady looking plastic. Not even a good plastic look like say Portal, no. We get something out of Toys R US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom