• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onikaan

I have a feeling this is the patch.

post-41209-Kenny-Powers-head-nod-gif-Imgu-y3K5.gif

3rd time lucky.

RowdyReverb

Frankie is getting death threats, I really hate some parts of the "gaming" community -_-

Seriously that stuff it's not cool.

That's such a shame. He seems like such a nice guy. Think he genuinely likes the franchise, and I feel like he's as disappointed as fans are by the state of MCC.

Madness

Frankie is getting death threats, I really hate some parts of the "gaming" community -_-

Seriously that stuff it's not cool.

No way... That's pathetic. It's not like it's not new either. I remember when the guys behind Call of Duty nerfed some guns or stopped glitches and basically got the same.

Was it over twitter? Twitter is and has been a shitshow with insults. So many people are insulting people who didn't even have anything to do with MCC. I hate the industry as well. Don't even like telling people I don't know that I'm a gamer. I couldn't imagine wanting to work in this industry either.

Omni

It is done! Finished all the campaigns on legendary. Midnight and Composer in Halo 4 are nice levels. Rest of the game, particularly the middle section is pretty awful though. But I've complained about that enough

I think for me it still goes Halo CE > Halo 2 = Halo 3 >> Halo 4 in terms of enjoyment

edit. oh it didn't record my progress on one of the levels /sobs into a pillow. Why

As we proved the other night, the Carbine is plainly more powerful than the BR and almost everyone switched to it once they realized what was going on. The only reason it is not breaking matchmaking is because it's uncommon on the maps.
Man, we played one match on Backwash in a game where some people weren't too good (ie: my friends). I don't think that proves anything lol

Basically, I when I found the Carbine I used it over the BR until it ran out of ammo. Of course I would use power weapons if it was prudent. Considering that the BR already dominates the H2 sandbox for the most part, and the Carbine is now a super-BR... that's no bueno unless you're trying to make SWAT 2.0. It's basically a power weapon, not a utility.
I don't think labeling it as a power weapon is fair considering it's the same situation with the BR, except that it may kill quicker more often. You still want to pick up the power weapons and you will still be holding the same positions, except now maybe people will be less concerned with escaping and running away from fights, and more active in fighting back if down in a situation.

In my opinion, the BR lends itself to defensive/passive gameplay more than it does aggressive, and that's something the games after CE lack. Gameplay is more fun with the Carbine, and if I'm getting dumped on then it only encourages me to overpower them even more granted I have the starting weapons to do so. Being down in Halo 2 against a good team with BR's is problematic because you can't overpower them with just your one BR, whereas there may be more of a possibility with a weapon like the Carbine. One might try to counter that by saying, "Well imagine if they had a setup with Carbines instead.." to which I would reply with "Look at CE and how the starting weapons in that game empower the individual player and look at the resulting sandbox, how powerful each weapon is. A Sniper that shoots fastest in the series, a Rocket that is a nuke, grenades that are missiles and landmines, Plasma Rifles that rock your shit, Shotguns that behave like.. Shotguns, etc." There are too many stalemates with the BR and defensive play trumps all; it's just not as fun.

What it comes down to is what gameplay are you looking for, that's the question you need to ask. I agree, the Carbine is better than the BR in many, if not all scenarios, but just because it's better does not mean gameplay automatically goes to crap for it. Maybe the H2C Carbine as the default weapon is what would make Halo 2 play a lot better, but who knows right now, neither you nor I from the limited gameplay we've had with them under these settings. I need moarrrrrr Carbineeee

to be fair these kind of rewards programs/punchcards are set in place pretty early on. Most likely it was planned before the MM issues/launch happened.

And normally I would be sympathetic, but there's no reason they couldn't delay this deal. Also a pretty bad feeling for those of us who bought the game at launch and received nothing but headaches and disappointment.

VinFTW

And normally I would be sympathetic, but there's no reason they couldn't delay this deal. Also a pretty bad feeling for those of us who bought the game at launch and received nothing but headaches and disappointment.

As I said... do you really think thats the "compensation"?

That's clearly not what they have planned for us. Let's not overreact here.

dwells

Can't say I'm surprised with the death threats. There's a lot of crazy people out there, and the internet gives them a voice. Throw anger and anonymity into the mix and there ya go.

Man, we played one match on Backwash in a game where some people weren't too good (ie: my friends). I don't think that proves anything lol

I don't think labeling it as a power weapon is fair considering it's the same situation with the BR, except that it may kill quicker more often. You still want to pick up the power weapons and you will still be holding the same positions, except now maybe people will be less concerned with escaping and running away from fights, and more active in fighting back if down in a situation.

In my opinion, the BR lends itself to defensive/passive gameplay more than it does aggressive, and that's something the games after CE lack. Gameplay is more fun with the Carbine, and if I'm getting dumped on then it only encourages me to overpower them even more granted I have the starting weapons to do so. Being down in Halo 2 against a good team with BR's is problematic because you can't overpower them with just your one BR, whereas there may be more of a possibility with a weapon like the Carbine. One might try to counter that by saying, "Well imagine if they had a setup with Carbines instead.." to which I would reply with "Look at CE and how the starting weapons in that game empower the individual player and look at the resulting sandbox, how powerful each weapon is. A Sniper that shoots fastest in the series, a Rocket that is a nuke, grenades that are missiles and landmines, Plasma Rifles that rock your shit, Shotguns that behave like.. Shotguns, etc." There are too many stalemates with the BR and defensive play trumps all; it's just not as fun.

What it comes down to is what gameplay are you looking for, that's the question you need to ask. I agree, the Carbine is better than the BR in many, if not all scenarios, but just because it's better does not mean gameplay automatically goes to crap for it. Maybe the H2C Carbine as the default weapon is what would make Halo 2 play a lot better, but who knows right now, neither you nor I from the limited gameplay we've had with them under these settings. I need moarrrrrr Carbineeee

I think what it boils down to is that you want not-Halo 2. Halo 2 is basically defined by the BR and what you get with the Carbine on this version is some weird sub-game that is certainly different but not any better.

I don't think it's an improvement, and comparing to CE is useless because the entire sandbox is still completely different. If faster utility kill times were everything (and a faster kill time is the only substantial difference), why not SWAT with power weapons or half-shield BRs?

Carbine kills feel very cheap to me anyway because the RoF means aiming is not important compared to other utilities like, say, the CE magnum. It also erases the beauty of single-shot weapons because the optimal use is to spam it into someone's anything.

Omni

Is literally every part of this stupid game broken? This has really just pissed me off. Okay matchmaking isn't working. But it's the damn campaign

My legendary progress
Why is there a gap? I played the playlist from start to finish. Every level on legendary.

Oh I know why. The game thinks I played co-op
What a disaster. Now I have to play this shit again (and probably Shutdown too now that I notice it is only marked off as heroic). egh

And on the talk of death threats. They're ridiculous. I know I'm salty but I'd never go that far.

It is done! Finished all the campaigns on legendary. Midnight and Composer in Halo 4 are nice levels. Rest of the game, particularly the middle section is pretty awful though. But I've complained about that enough

I think for me it still goes Halo CE > Halo 2 = Halo 3 >> Halo 4 in terms of enjoyment

edit. oh it didn't record my progress on one of the levels /sobs into a pillow. Why

Exact sane thing happened to me... Sacred icon on halo 2 legendary won't record for me.

Look at your career and see which level based achievement didn't unlock.

I think what it boils down to is that you want not-Halo 2. Halo 2 is basically defined by the BR and what you get with the Carbine on this version is some weird sub-game that is certainly different but not any better.

I don't think it's an improvement, and comparing to CE is useless because the entire sandbox is still completely different. If faster utility kill times were everything (and a faster kill time is the only substantial difference), why not SWAT with power weapons or half-shield BRs?

Carbine kills feel very cheap to me anyway because the RoF means aiming is not important compared to other utilities like, say, the CE magnum. It also erases the beauty of single-shot weapons because the optimal use is to spam it into someone's anything.
I don't disagree with anything in this post lol, but I still find Halo 2 to be more enjoyable with the Carbine, and isn't that the point of a game? People seem to be enjoying CE and don't view it as this broken mess as many once did, so maybe this would lead to more people enjoying Halo 2. We have been seeing people say it's not as fun as they remember, and obviously the BR is a big part of that since it's the weapon used a majority of the time.

Just saying, I'm not a crazy old woman with 99 cats who creates prophecies. Maybe the things I like are what the people like, whether it's in the now or realized later in the future. Perhaps I have the opinion of all opinions, the one opinion to rule them all? ;]

I don't disagree with anything in this post lol, but I still find Halo 2 to be more enjoyable with the Carbine, and isn't that the point of a game? People seem to be enjoying CE and don't view it as this broken mess as many once did, so maybe this would lead to more people enjoying Halo 2. We have been seeing people say it's not as fun as they remember, and obviously the BR is a big part of that since it's the weapon used a majority of the time.

Just saying, I'm not a crazy old woman with 99 cats who creates prophecies. Maybe the things I like are what the people like, whether it's in the now or realized later in the future. Perhaps I have the opinion of all opinions, the one opinion to rule them all? ;]

Even with the broken H2V version, it might still be somewhat balanced. But again, only if we're not talking about Halo 2. The fact that you never have to stop firing this epic death machine until you literally have nothing left makes most of your points moot, in my opinion. Might it still be ok to have Carbine starts? Sure, just not *this* carbine. Bottomless clip makes it more ridiculous than many power weapons. Does it take more skill than the BR? Not really. Especially when the whole motivation for getting headshots is gone.

Even with the broken H2V version, it might still be somewhat balanced. But again, only if we're not talking about Halo 2. The fact that you never have to stop firing this epic death machine until you literally have nothing left makes most of your points moot, in my opinion. Might it still be ok to have Carbine starts? Sure, just not *this* carbine. Bottomless clip makes it more ridiculous than many power weapons. Does it take more skill than the BR? Not really. Especially when the whole motivation for getting headshots is gone.
It's like this Carbine was ripped from Unreal Tournament! I'm telling you man, the best things in Halo come from accidents and mistakes*
Exactly. Let's talk about SMG starts.
Too soon.

-Ryn

Banned

3879_-_animated_gif_chuck_norris_dodgeball_thumbs_up.gif

Well except for that edit... *pats back*

Matchmaking game found after 15 minutes of waiting.

Game load screen.

Game crashes out of matchmaking.

I'm a party leader with 6 other people.

Play hang em high and it's horribly laggy.

Game ends and someone else is session leader.

Refund please.

dwells

And on the talk of death threats. They're ridiculous. I know I'm salty but I'd never go that far.

For real - I'm so salty I'm no longer a carbon based lifeform and am instead a sodium-based lifeform, and even I'm not tossing death threats around.

I noticed this earlier today when I clicked save and everything was the way it should be before I could go refresh the page. I was confused.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Matchmaking game found after 15 minutes of waiting.

Game load screen.

Game crashes out of matchmaking.

I'm a party leader with 6 other people.

Play hang em high and it's horribly laggy.

Game ends and someone else is session leader.

Refund please.

enjoy this instead

I'll be honest, I think Breakout looks funs. Also Kazuma's match intro music is kinda great.

I think Breakout looks like a lot of fun as well.

Was this where you would have to refresh the page for the save edit to go through?
edit: mmm, if so it works like butter now.
edit2: dat smooth edit doe

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
what the fuck is happening

4Ifmam1.gif

edit because AJAX is fixed: How many of you are playing Titanfall while MCC is down?

It's solid gameplay. I'm mad the poster didn't show us hover or slide. Did he really need to go all balls out and focus on his k/d instead of showing us everything? wtf.

Anyways, there's a few things i really don't like or i'm tired of:

1. Announcer is too much like Halo 4. It's boring.
2. The BR and other things sound like Halo 4. Boring and brings back bad memories.
3. The whole Red Vs Blue is tiresome. Couldn't they do something else? or maybe have lights omitting from the armor indicating red or blue but leave the spartans with darker colors?
4. Even with the new additions it's going to be interesting to see how this compares in terms of freshness when games like Titanfall, Destiny, and COD have added similar or better elements to the movement.

Overall, i'm still excited for the beta.

It's solid gameplay. I'm mad the poster didn't show us hover or slide. Did he really need to go all balls out and focus on his k/d instead of showing us everything? wtf.

Anyways, there's a few things i really don't like or i'm tired of:

1. Announcer is too much like Halo 4. It's boring.
2. The BR and other things sound like Halo 4. Boring and brings back bad memories.
3. The whole Red Vs Blue is tiresome. Couldn't they do something else? or maybe have lights omitting from the armor indicating red or blue but leave the spartans with darker colors?
4. Even with the new additions it's going to be interesting to see how this compares in terms of freshness when games like Titanfall, Destiny, and COD have added similar or better elements to the movement.

Overall, i'm still excited for the beta.

RvB is pretty iconic in terms of Halo. It will never, and should never, be changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom