• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

JDHarbs

Team Classic still had bloom.

Edit: Plus, all of the maps and gametypes were community-built so I have a hard time considering it a part of Reach when the devs weren't behind it.

Madness

Better campaign, no bloom, no armor lock...should I continue?

Just curious, in what way would you the Halo 4 campaign was better than Reach? In my opinion, from a gameplay standpoint, and then maybe story standpoint? And I mean self-contained in the game itself. Everything about the Halo 4 campaign was bad to me. From sound, level design, enemy encounters, piss-poor story. I only beat the Reach campaign twice, and yet I could tell you what exactly happened where, tell you all memorable parts of the campaign, the major deaths, even tell you the music that was playing. Halo 4, despite beating it, replaying it over and over for achievements, I can't tell you much of what happened. Just one big jumble. It was a slog to get through. I can't tell you what music played where, any defining levels beyond the first, maybe when you land on Requiem, and maybe the last level.

Also, yeah bloom sucked and armor lock(jetpack as well) were horrendous additions to the gameplay, but are you really going to overlook instant respawn, global ordnance, personal ordnance, killcams, universal sprint, almost identical armor abilities to Reach (but because there are so many more variables they don't influence gameplay as much as Reach), perks, flinch, no X on death, weapon loadouts, and then locked specializations for a lot of people including most of Europe who couldn't do anything beyond SR70 if they didn't pre-order, lets not forget double XP where people photographed bags of Doritos to get 200 matches of double XP which meant they unlocked stability before anybody else etc.

Then again, your opinion just as valid as mine. Campaign wise, Reach ranks very highly for me, for a myriad of reasons, how it played, how I felt etc.

RBK

Banned
Personally, the presentation was the best in the series next to Halo 2. While it was incredibly short even on Legendary, it had great pacing and keep me more engaged than Reach's cookie-cutter campaign(
it's CE rehashed
). Reach was pretty forgettable(again, opinions) with the whole Noble Team premise and Halo 4's did have it's flaws as the whole Chief/Cortana love affair and rampancy was just corny. Jetpack was my most used AA in Reach though, did work with it on Sword Base.

Even with all the flaws you listed, still had more fun playing Infinity Slayer than with the tank like Spartans in Reach. It was far from perfect, but it played much closer to H3 than Reach did. Outside of ordinance, don't really think the other stuff hinder gameplay much.

Zel3

Apologies dude, I know you're poking fun but I have no interest in any other games with the exception of possibly Scalebound.

Oh I'm not poking fun. I'm in the same situation as you, I have a console I don't really want anymore now that I returned MCC. I hope Forza 6 turns out great because this might be the biggest waste I've done in gaming. $400 I could have put towards my future PC purchase.

jem0208

I think 4 is more casual than previous games but I don't think that makes it worse. If you remove the ordnance and add weapons to the map like it is on the MCC it's actually really fun. I love sprinting around killing people. It feels so much more fast paced than previous Halos (I know, I know it's not technically faster paced at all however I don't really care about technicalities; it feels faster and that's what I care about). Halo 3 feels like you're walking in treacle but you have spring boots and the BR is an atrocity, CE's movement is bizarre and so is its weirdly inconsistent pistol (probably a combo of lag and broken auto aim). Halo 2 on the other hand still feels great, the BR is fun to use and the movement feels fine.

I never felt that the loadouts had that big of an effect for most battles. I hardly ever even noticed perks, the worst was eject but thankfully I didn't encounter that much. The armour abilities never bothered me either; sure jet pack probably ruins the flow of a map and Promethean vision is just Uber motion tracker. However I never cared about that mid game because I had people to shoot in the head.

My two biggest points of consideration when it comes to judging FPS games are 'how the movement feels' and 'how the gunplay feels'. They trump everything else. And because of that IMO...

2 > 4 > 3 > CE* > Reach

*CE's multiplayer is admittedly based off of playing on the MCC. I did play it quite a lot on the PC but I can't remember it very well

Campaign wise it's a bit different:

First half of 2 > 3 > CE > ODST = 4 > second half of 2 > Reach

Now I know you're joking. Just move off of that stupid island.

Sadly I'm not joking. In a laggy game it feels like there's a massive FPS drop. Even the bloody UI starts stuttering. It's bizarre.

This MCC game. Custom parties drop out, can't join, black screen P2P customs when all players are from the same state...

No party matchmakimg ever works, try solo again after that and no players found.

Oh well back to GTAV.

IHaveIce

Banned
I'm not saying it looks bad, just very brown. Graphically it's very good, not an art style I particularly like though.

I also find the gameplay just kinda dull, assuming it's similar to the Dark Souls series. I thought it got quite repetitive. The complete lack of story in Dark Souls also turned me off. And invasions are quite possibly the most stupid idea I've ever heard of. Who thought it would be a good idea to let a massively high leveled guy invade and kill someone in one hit. There was literally nothing I could do. Lost all my souls as well.

Also no pause, seriously? Games have had pause buttons for decades.

On a more Halo note: I like the Halo team in #IDARB.
Boy, you want the bad opinion train all for yourself huh?

jelly

I don't know, I prefer the written bulletins to these. These bulletins just feel like I'm watching some advertisements or something. Also, that Minecraft Halo trailer is like 6 months old now. No mention of stuff from the Halo 5 beta, nothing about MCC, but hey here's my dog.

Different audience perhaps and they are catering to the Halo channel with quick content videos. Not my cup of tea but kids looking for some Halo stuff, probably works for them. I don't know what 343 are doing these days. Maybe the disconnect is a result of the Halo machine, devs give no fucks beyond the game, the other 343 departments give no fucks about the game, focused on merchandising, expansion etc. which rings completely hollow like in that video. 343 Factories. Sure there is passionate people there but the whole operation comes across as clinical, how 343 don't see this I don't know, $$$ probably. Mission statement feels like exploit every angle for maximum profit rather than make a great game first. I'm still interested in Halo 5, the campaign particularly now to see were they take it but the studio needs to cut down on the hollow fluff, gives us some free of PR insight, good and bad. Just be honest without running it through the marketing machine, less buzzwords and community back slapping quotes which are meaningless dribble. It would probably save you money! Keep things simple, keep it clean. There is a place for marketing, competitions, merchandise. Give the community a choice to follow, not lump everything in some Christmas Tree of PR.

FyreWulff

Team Classic still had bloom.

Edit: Plus, all of the maps and gametypes were community-built so I have a hard time considering it a part of Reach when the devs weren't behind it.

Bungie built out gametypes and specific bugfixes just for the playlist and was the one that put out the call for Forge remakes.

*shrug*

edit: for example they deployed an update to all gametypes where the Camo powerup kept you completely camo'd no matter how fast you moved just to make that playlist work.

Leyasu

Banned
Been playing big lag battle all afternoon. For every game that I play in my region, I probably get two out of region or p2p lagfests..

I definitely think I played the most, like, traditional PvP multiplayer in Reach. It was just one of those situations where the community / matchmaking were still strong enough to keep playing it for years on end. Halo 3 had a solid community too, but with all the new features that were introduced the fandom was way more compartmentalized. Minigames, machinima, forging, etc. I think I only played like 300 ranked matchmade games in all of Halo 3's lifespan. Spent wayyyy more time in customs doing dumb minigames and shit.

Tunavi

Banned
As much hate as Reach gets, it was my most played Halo, it was just fun. It was more of a love hate relationship though.
game was frustrating but the community was sooooo good at the time

i would hop on and there would always be at least 5 people playing

What's the current state of the MCC? Still broken? I'm really wanting some Halo in my life right now but I don't know if I wanna spend money on something that won't work.

jem0208

With a party, or just by yourself? I've yet to encounter any playlist that behaves in a satisfactory manner with a party at any time during this game's lifespan.

Never tried with a party no. However in solo it works just as well as any other game. Takes less than 30 seconds to find a game every time. The only issue I had was that 1 game ended early out of about 30.

Zel3

What's the current state of the MCC? Still broken? I'm really wanting some Halo in my life right now but I don't know if I wanna spend money on something that won't work.

Don't buy it. Networking issues aside, Halo 2 classic suffers from terrible hit detection, Halo CE has game breaking reticle magnetism, and you will encounter glitches in single player.

RowdyReverb

I hope that extra week of work on the next CU was well spent. Really optimistic that it will finally fix the game instead of putting band aids on issues.
Even if it takes another month, it would be worth it to finally have a great, easy way to enjoy legacy Halo games for years to come, i.e. What MCC was supposed to be in the first place.

I hope that extra week of work on the next CU was well spent. Really optimistic that it will finally fix the game instead of putting band aids on issues.
Even if it takes another month, it would be worth it to finally have a great, easy way to enjoy legacy Halo games for years to come, i.e. What MCC was supposed to be in the first place.
Agreed
I barely touch my Xbox anymore because it just depresses me
Would be nice for the CU to fix the game finally

I definitely think I played the most, like, traditional PvP multiplayer in Reach. It was just one of those situations where the community / matchmaking were still strong enough to keep playing it for years on end. Halo 3 had a solid community too, but with all the new features that were introduced the fandom was way more compartmentalized. Minigames, machinima, forging, etc. I think I only played like 300 ranked matchmade games in all of Halo 3's lifespan. Spent wayyyy more time in customs doing dumb minigames and shit.

Dang, refresh the page and you changed ethnicity, lol. But I've posted on waypoint before, that the support of the community, the custom maps and games is what goosed the longevity of Halo 3. It was a second golden triangle of gaming, if you will. Some social matchmaking, then some ranked, and then kick it in customs. Even more fun when you could do it in a party that stayed intact all night, even as players dropped in and out, like a train riding a circuit to different stations along the way. All the arguments over what we going to play next, because THERE WAS SO MUCH TO CHOOSE FROM AND IT ALL WORKED!

343i and Microsoft...face palm, face palm, face palm...

Yup, if only we had a Custom Games Browser and Matchmaking toggles to play what we want, when we want. You'd see Halo's popularity increase if they focused on that. Imagine being able to see that a pro match is happening on the browser and jumping into it as a spectator? Imagine having a consistent server to join with a group you enjoy being around without tediously searching for people to set up Custom Games?

A CGB is necessary and is the reason why Halo isn't as popular as it could be. Someone call Conor, we'll need him to infiltrate 343 and plant the CGB seed for Halo 6.

Top Bottom