• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Welfare

No. It's a good fallback for people who have rough geographical access to dedis, or weird DNS issues, or crazy unchangeable NAT situations, or when dedis are down, but we will be making general improvements to make sure that both of those scenarios are less frequent. And the rollout of cloud and geographically better server clusters is obviously going to continue forever, basically.

Are there plans to add in a population counter?

Please.

That's the plan. I'm finally feeling good (instead of baffled or out of my depth) about where it's heading. While matchmaking and parties are the number one issue (and the weirdness has knock on effects to lots of other seemingly unrelated bits) stuff like legacy controls, H2 hit detection and so on are all being addressed too.

Obviously it's going slower than we (or anyone) anticipated, but it ended up being weirder and more complicated than anyone thought. I hope we can do a post mortem eventually, because the problem and the efforts to solve it are (frustrating, horrible, embarrassing) pretty crazy in scope and scale.

And it was stuff we never anticipated in testing, that blew up in the real world environment.

And we'll be working on stuff to maintain and grow populations too.

Soon! There will be a few surprises in it. Data wise

All good to hear.

Proof is in the pudding, though.

Leyasu

Banned
No. It's a good fallback for people who have rough geographical access to dedis, or weird DNS issues, or crazy unchangeable NAT situations, or when dedis are down, but we will be making general improvements to make sure that both of those scenarios are less frequent. And the rollout of cloud and geographically better server clusters is obviously going to continue forever, basically.

So does that mean that halo 5 will also have a p2p fallback? And can we assume that some of our beta matches were p2p also? Perhaps that would explain the awful lag I experienced in some games.

I live in Europe with two fully functional azure datacenters nearby. There are azure datacenters worldwide. But i have been playing p2p games since the begining. Its disappointing.

Also, reading your comment makes me think that 343 will never allow us to choose where we play in a halo game.... Which would be a real shame.

Thanks for replying Stinkles.

@htupolev. Titanfall seems to be OK without a p2p fallback. Don't forget that these games ain't running on EAs shitty network, they are running on Microsofts azure network. A network that not only cost Microsoft a lot of money to setup, but a network that also earns them a lot of money. I should imagine that downtime is very rare indeed..... Not ONCE have I had a server problem playing titanfall.

Madness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rxUOdpAliE

Should basically air this on every channel non-stop again, but at the end, have someone say, now part of the master chief collection for free! Basically let people know the game is getting this content, it works. Do some heavy promotion on sites. I feel the damage is done, but you never know, maybe some heavy sales, pack in bundles, could at least have some growth to the game rather than have Halo fans uninstall or ask for refunds.

HTupolev

@htupolev. Titanfall seems to be OK without a p2p fallback. Don't forget that these games ain't running on EAs shitty network, they are running on Microsofts azure network. A network that not only cost Microsoft a lot of money to setup, but a network that also earns them a lot of money. I should imagine that downtime is very rare indeed..... Not ONCE have I had a server problem playing titanfall.
Yes, but we're not talking about TF, we're talking about a game that launched with huge infrastructural issues. I'm not saying its an azure issue.

Could this be the light at the end of the tunnel?

Probably
maybe.gif

That's the plan. I'm finally feeling good (instead of baffled or out of my depth) about where it's heading. While matchmaking and parties are the number one issue (and the weirdness has knock on effects to lots of other seemingly unrelated bits) stuff like legacy controls, H2 hit detection and so on are all being addressed too.

Obviously it's going slower than we (or anyone) anticipated, but it ended up being weirder and more complicated than anyone thought. I hope we can do a post mortem eventually, because the problem and the efforts to solve it are (frustrating, horrible, embarrassing) pretty crazy in scope and scale.

And it was stuff we never anticipated in testing, that blew up in the real world environment.

Soon! There will be a few surprises in it. Data wise

Awesome! It's nice to at least get some update on what's currently happening, I was getting worried we'd be in the dark a bit longer

Welfare

During and since the beta, the Halo 5 team has been pouring over community feedback and data to build an extensive list of improvements for the game. I’ve been able to discuss some of the changes with Executive Producer Josh Holmes, and he’s working on a blog that will provide you with the details of what the team is working on, complete with a healthy list of learnings and changes from the beta. Stay tuned – I’m excited about it and I think it’s gonna be a good one.
"We listened to the feedback, but fuck you anyway" is what I predict.

The changes will be non-noteworthy.

A new series on the Halo Channel titled: FUN with UNKNOWN where I just stream myself reading the pollution on HaloGAF and talking about how great Halo could be while playing Halo's Menu Simulator?

In.

Rumble pit expanding to include more games is good news.

Objective playlist needs to be precision weapon starts across the board or it's worthless.

Team Snipes: please don't include Halo 4. Flinch makes the gametype incompatible.

Welfare

I can't be the only one getting tired of your non-noteworthy posting

What else has been "non-noteworthy"? If it's because I'm being negative, sorry, but I'm going to be negative. I'd stop posting in this manner if this company actually did something about their game, and right now, they haven't.

Will future public betas be a likely thing to unsure network quality/stability for halo games based on MCC's experiences? Just curious if 343/MS have considered planning this or not.

Cow

I hope they have something amazing in mind to revive MCC population. I can't really think of anything they could do to get people to give it another shot. Make it free for a while? Release free map pack for those who boot it up again within a certain timeframe? Free month of gold for giving matchmaking a shot again? I don't know.

I hope they have something amazing in mind to revive MCC population. I can't really think of anything they could do to get people to give it another shot. Make it free for a while? Release free map pack for those who boot it up again within a certain timeframe? Free month of gold for giving matchmaking a shot again? I don't know.
Making it free will destroy any goodwill with people that still have their copies, and have had to endure the last couple of months.

Welfare

They're probably banking on ODST and Relic bringing some people back when they fix the multiplayer.

Deception

Since the MCC still doesn't work I got my android tablet up and running with a N64 emulator and have been playing LoZ:OoT for the first time and can say I actually enjoy it, even considering buying a WiiU now... see what you have done to me 343?

VinFTW

What else has been "non-noteworthy"? If it's because I'm being negative, sorry, but I'm going to be negative. I'd stop posting in this manner if this company actually did something about their game, and right now, they haven't.

I've been a Halo fan since before the first game even released, I understand your frustration because your favorite franchise is in a disgusting state, but can you at least post in a constructive manner if you have nothing positive to say?

It's very, very tiring.

There are a lot of people who trash this game but in the right way (makes no sense, I know).

We are all very nauseated by the state of the game, but the best we can do is give negative feedback in a constructive way.

I'm with you in the sense that if some major changes don't happen we'll get a split community. Maybe the casual market will like it, but if certain things stay in you'll still have 75% of the hardcore community trashing it on every board, twitch chat and every forum. Why would casuals play a game that the competitive/hardcore community trashes? It's fun to hate stuff that is popular. (ex. see #343bola)

It's in their best interest to appease the hardcore community. We keep Halo alive, and we'll keep the casual market interested and intertwined with the meta-game.

Since the MCC still doesn't work I got my android tablet up and running with a N64 emulator and have been playing LoZ:OoT for the first time and can say I actually enjoy it, even considering buying a WiiU now... see what you have done to me 343?

Get that shit and play Splatoon with me.

Glass

Good to hear from Bravo they're planning on more community updates. It's needed. Stinkles' post shows what a difference some communication can make, even if the situation hasn't changed, at least someone's talking. The video format of the Bulletin is fine if you're after something to watch on YouTube, but it's not the format to go into details and plans for MCC various issues.

Each time the bulletin features no mention of MCC's state or fixes it only aggravates an audience desperate for answers, but if there are regular, in depth forum/website updates without the need for the 'polish' the videos have, the video bulletin can keep doing its thing. whynotboth.jpg

N64 emulator eh? You should download PJ64K and Smash 64 so we can play online ;] (PC)

They're probably banking on ODST and Relic bringing some people back when they fix the multiplayer.

It's enough to bring me back. I loved ODST so damn much. Hope they do something similar with ONI.

Stinkles' post makes me feel a bit hopeful. His mere presence back in this hives' nest of scum and villainy is a good sign.

Booshka

I'd really love a full on Dev Blog for what they are working on and how it's going with MCC patches and fixes, nearly full transparency at this point. But, it's Microsoft and Halo, so PR spin and a severe lack of communication is the status quo. That made sense back when Halo worked; your shit is broken, has been broken for practically forever, and the game's population is in free fall, you need to open up to the people that still care about this game and be honest about your efforts to fix it.

I think that would also help build some trust and compassion for the Dev and Publisher, leading to a stronger attachment to their future projects, Halo 5 in this instance. The way 343 and MS are going about it, it's just confusion and evasion, a severe lack of confidence and cynicism is the result.

FyreWulff

Titanfall requires dedis to handle having the AI in the session. Each of those AI take the bandwidth that a normal player would. So even though the game is capped at 12 human players, it's actually like running a 48 player server.

VinFTW

I'm seriously considering it just for Windwaker and Mario Cart.

My laptop has a crap video card and can't handle anything even slightly graphically strenuous otherwise I would. (even tho i've never played smash :O)

Wind Waker was my first and only full Zelda. It was okay. Today I'd give it an 8/10. Mario Kart was fun for a few weeks. DLC is great, after that, meh.

But with Zelda U, Monolith X, Star Fox, Splatoon, Mario Party 10 coming in 2015, I'd get it. Most fun I've had so far with the Wii U was 3D world local COOP + MK8 local COOP.

It's my local COOP machine.

Titanfall requires dedis to handle having the AI in the session. Each of those AI take the bandwidth that a normal player would. So even though the game is capped at 12 human players, it's actually like running a 48 player server.

Really? It seems that all the AI does is stand around and get killed.

Thanks for commenting Stinkles. Communication is good, though I will believe that post-mortem when I see it...

Quit being slackers, let's play Smash, MK and Splatoon when it launches! We'll Skype if anything, add me:

Wii U: UNKNOWN-iXi

PM me if necessary.

jem0208

I'm pretty sure I'm gunna get put back on the bad opinion train for this but... I don't like Nintendo games. I don't think I've played a single one which has really grabbed me. None of them interest me in the slightest...

Anyways, I managed to play my very first full BTB game on the MCC! CTF on Coagulation, it was fun. Took about a minute to find a match so not too bad.

If it's getting the player base back should that really matter though?

So you want to absolutely destroy the audience it already has, so you can appease I bunch of free loaders? If they lets say gave the early adopters a free game of choice, a $60 title, then that would be fine. Cause if they just said "hey look a 5 month old game is now working, here you can have it for free", they would completely fuck themselves.

Deception

I'm pretty sure I'm gunna get out back on the bad opinion train for this but... I don't like Nintendo games. I don't think I've played a single one which has really grabbed me. None of them interest me in the slightest...

Anyways, I managed to play my very first full BTB game on the MCC! CTF on Coagulation, it was fun. Took about a minute to find a match so not too bad.

I grew up playing games like Donkey Kong64, Mario Kart, Mario64 so its a bit of nostalgia going back to those kind of games and good change of pace from the typical FPS dude bro stuff i've been playing on xbox all year.

jem0208

I grew up playing games like Donkey Kong64, Mario Kart, Mario64 so its a bit of nostalgia going back to those kind of games and good change of pace from the typical FPS dude bro stuff i've been playing on xbox all year.
I grew up with Halo. First proper game I had was Halo CE on the PC. Then I bought an Xbox on Halo 2's release day, bought a 360 at launch with Crackdown so I could play the Halo 3 beta and then an X1 last Christmas so I could play future Halo titles.

I like Halo.

That said, I don't like Japanese games. Not because they're Japanese, I couldn't care less from where they were made. I just haven't found a single one I have enjoyed. Even the very Western style Japanese games like Dark Souls I didn't enjoy. Mario Kart and stuff like that is fun, but it's never something I'd spend money on. I think it could well be due to presentation, a large amount of Nintendo games are very happy, colourful and almost childish. I just don't really like it, then there's anime which I just cannot stand.

Really? It seems that all the AI does is stand around and get killed.

Not really. They're actually pretty advanced; they react to player movements, engage each other on a fairly high level, lots of little behaviors (spectres executing grunts, that sort of thing). If they were any smarter, they'd realize how incredibly futile their mission is and eat their rifle.

Top Bottom