• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Admodieus

For many people in HaloGAF, at least those who were around the time when Reach launched, they attributed the fall of halo to Reach.

Reach's decisions alienated the community. MLG dropped Reach and competetive Halo was shattered. Community was divided on the bloom and AA's but the overall gaf consensus was fuck bloom and AA. BTB was a mess. Customs lasted for a bit but died out. Halo 4 was worse. MCC doesn't work.

Pretty warm reception to H5 beta tho so..... hope?

I guess it comes down to how everybody plays Halo. I don't care at all about MLG or the competitive community. I like BTB with friends, and I loved Forge World in Reach because it allowed for a bunch of permutations without Bungie having to explicitly design new maps for the playlist.

-Ryn

Banned
As it should. People shouldn't support a company that treats consumers this way.
I miss the days when games were just for a good time...

This is the boy cried wolf syndrome of the Halo community. They have whined after every game about the changes made; now that there is an actual legitimate problem with the actual functionality of a product, the public and press don't care.

I never understood the hate each Halo game gets - I like each one for its own merits, and Reach is probably one of my favorites. But MCC is just a broken mess.
I don't think that's necessarily the reason nobody cares...

Salty reputation aside, HaloGAF's criticisms are usually valid ones. Halo 4 suffered from a multitude of problems such as a massive lack of content and poorly managed playlists (the latter being nothing new...). Reach is certainly looked upon in a better light but again it still has it's problems as a Halo game.

jelly

You know something beyond the game being fixed that would show 343 care a bit more, a complete selection of playlists, gametypes, fixed default starts tried and tested over years and community favourites old and new installed, ready and waiting the instant things are working, no more we are doing this update this week, a tweak here, we'll get that sorted in a future playlist update, content update. There is absolutely no excuse to not have the best of the best available now, months ago. Get them out there, let the population play, numbers be damned. People need to experience the best selection and not be so reactive to numbers. A wide ranging community is better than one you helped funnel down bog basic gametypes that only hurts future games.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So were you a major montage maker back before you were hired at 343?

Can we expect a surprise Halo 5 BTB montage made by you?

I wouldn't say major but I love editing. We have real editors on the team here, no need for me to mess anything up haha.

Karl2177

For many people in HaloGAF, at least those who were around the time when Reach launched, they attributed the fall of halo to Reach.

Reach's decisions alienated the community. MLG dropped Reach and competetive Halo was shattered. Community was divided on the bloom and AA's but the overall gaf consensus was fuck bloom and AA. BTB was a mess. Customs lasted for a bit but died out. Halo 4 was worse. MCC doesn't work.

To be fair, there was also warm reception to Halo 4 pre launch events. I'm holding out until a month after launch when people start learning about exploits and such.

I want to believe also... Because I'm definitely not playing anywhere near 100% of my games on dedicated servers.

It would be better if there was some transparency with the game. But because the whole thing is a steaming pile, it seems like they are trying to hide it.

I don't know, I still can't get my head around how they let this out of the door.

Why would you want to believe? If the findings of his (limited data) experiment are true for the wider population, that means the games you've been playing with connections as bad or worse than P2P have been on dedi's.

-Ryn

Banned
I wouldn't say major but I love editing. We have real editors on the team here, no need for me to mess anything up haha.
Not really sure what your duties involve regularly but you should make a montage of the dev matches post launch to stretch the ol' editing muscles. Would love to see it ;)

RBK

Banned
Where do I sign up for this Vault of Glass run?

I'll be willing to get back into Destiny considering MCC's state.

Madness

To be fair, there was also warm reception to Halo 4 pre launch events. I'm holding out until a month after launch when people start learning about exploits and such.

I'm waiting till the entire info for Halo 5 comes out. All game modes, is there firefight, what's BTB like, any non-arena modes. If they have a radically different style of gameplay for non-arena, I feel it'll be like Halo 4, where people had to pick either infinity and classic/slayer pro, and as one rewarded less skilled and easier game play, it naturally won out.

Though if MCC isn't fixed soon, I won't buy Halo 5 out of sheer principle.

Tawpgun

True, to an extent. I remember people calling out some flaws but its tough to breakdown a game with limited playtime against horrendous opponents.

In a private environment where drinks are flowing :p

I was at the NYCC event and I could tell from the get go ordnance, both global and personal was super dumb and I abused the shit out of the boltshot.

However the gunplay in H4 is VERY solid, so it was still enjoyable at the time. Coming off of Reach's bloom and shit movement H4 felt really nice.

Booshka

I should do some research to see if I was positive about Halo 4 pre-release. Probably too balls deep into Dark Souls to even pay attention, think I was on hiatus from Halo then lol.

Impala26

That's fine. I got another VoG virgin also that I need to bring through

Assuming this is on Xbox one, I'd love to go through VoG again on my 32...

I'm am master at VoG. I got a lvl 31 Warlock and lvl 28 titan as of right now. I know Mix hasn't even attempted the raid yet, and I'm looking to get my boy some good shit.

im also down for VoG runs if you guys need me. cleared it a bunch of times but it's always fun to run it with people who are new to it. just send me a message on gaf, or send me a friend request: pok3r fac3d

Halogaf vog run? I'm in

Yeah, count me in that VOG run.

Where do I sign up for this Vault of Glass run?

I'll be willing to get back into Destiny considering MCC's state.

Wow, evidently there is interest in this... I'm actually genuinely surprised this many people are showing interest.

Could we nail down a time say on Saturday or Sunday?

DJ Gunner

It took me a long time to dislike Reach, even with all the BS. After Halo 3, the much improved netcode and framerate (or judder- I know Reach has it's issues, but H3 never felt smooth to me at all) was a breath of fresh air. It was not until Bungie flooded Team Slayer with forge maps that I got super turned off.

Halo 4- I think I played for about 6 weeks before I had had enough.

Madness

Halo 4 was basically dead by end of December. By January it was dropping like a rock through the top XBL rankings. And yet you can see people say, it's not so bad, it's only losing to cod, and then next month, hey, it's only losing to fifa, the month after, hey minecraft is a beast for kids, eh, it's still top 5, month anger that, they should be proud it's a top 10 game, etc.

Reading older threads is crazy. 99% of the people who posted from the lead up and launch of Halo 4 no longer post. Hell, a majority of the people who posted even last year barely post now.

Ramirez

Reading older threads is crazy. 99% of the people who posted from the lead up and launch of Halo 4 no longer post. Hell, a majority of the people who posted even last year barely post now.

Barely anyone who posted in the Halo 2 thread carried over to 3, and barely any people from 3 post here today, it's not really a great measure of anything.

I don't really consider the Halo 4 prelaunch hype comparable to 5. We had a public beta, for 3 weeks. I almost played more H5 beta matches than I did H4 release, I really don't think there's any honeymoon phase going on for me, the game was good.

I was big on taking a "wait and see/play it first" mentality with 4, since it was their first game, and a few of the people here had played it at PAX and enjoyed it, we're all wrong at some point. It's also harder to trash a game and give proper opinions when the dev team is inviting you to the studio and treating you to stuff.

Homeboyd

Barely anyone who posted in the Halo 2 thread carried over to 3, and barely any people from 3 post here today, it's not really a great measure of anything.

I don't really consider the Halo 4 prelaunch hype comparable to 5. We had a public beta, for 3 weeks. I almost played more H5 beta matches than I did H4 release, I really don't think there's any honeymoon phase going on for me, the game was good.

I was big on taking a "wait and see/play it first" mentality with 4, since it was their first game, and a few of the people here had played it at PAX and enjoyed it, we're all wrong at some point. It's also harder to trash a game and give proper opinions when the dev team is inviting you to the studio and treating you to stuff.
What does RGIII think of Halo 5?

True, to an extent. I remember people calling out some flaws but its tough to breakdown a game with limited playtime against horrendous opponents.

In a private environment where drinks are flowing :p

I was at the NYCC event and I could tell from the get go ordnance, both global and personal was super dumb and I abused the shit out of the boltshot.

However the gunplay in H4 is VERY solid, so it was still enjoyable at the time. Coming off of Reach's bloom and shit movement H4 felt really nice.

To be fair, H4 is fantastic in the MCC. There's a good game in there, and killing Infinity Slayer was a solid chip in the right direction.

daedalius

To be fair, H4 is fantastic in the MCC. There's a good game in there, and killing Infinity Slayer was a solid chip in the right direction.

Yea, it is pretty nice having static spawns even in infinity modes in H4 now.

Played the Pit last night, other than the other team quitting after a severe dumping on, I really enjoyed it.

Some of the AAs I really dislike still in H4, but being able to use thruster is worth dealing with them sometimes. Boltshot is still a terrible loadout weapon though, although it doesn't seem nearly as egregious as it has been in the past now.

I'm really looking forward to H5; as I loved the beta (and am now cursing WoW coming out right near there, because it sucked me in at that time, and now I just want to play H5 again :p). The Wii U will keep me busy, mmm dat metroid prime.

I need a Space Marine definitive edition on Xbone.

Yea, it is pretty nice having static spawns even in infinity modes in H4 now.

Played the Pit last night, other than the other team quitting after a severe dumping on, I really enjoyed it.

Some of the AAs I really dislike still in H4, but being able to use thruster is worth dealing with them sometimes. Boltshot is still a terrible loadout weapon though, although it doesn't seem nearly as egregious as it has been in the past now.

I'm really looking forward to H5; as I loved the beta (and am now cursing WoW coming out right near there, because it sucked me in at that time, and now I just want to play H5 again :p). The Wii U will keep me busy, mmm dat metroid prime.

My biggest complaint is that the best AA feels like Jetpack, but I have to change my controls to use it since it requires such finger-attention. And then I miss bumper jumper.

Mix

Check it out, looks like the Motorcycle helmet is coming in July.

halo+helmet-720x405.jpg

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02...available-from-july?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_
keep in mind that this isn't the final design, just the most recent one

singhr1

Completed 4 today and would be happy if I never saw another Forerunner structure again.
Give me beaches, mountains, human cities any day.

What? I get you what you want but Halo 4 takes place on a Forerunner planet for nearly the whole game and still has diverse environments.

Dawn and Composer are human ships/bases. Infinity is a jungle + human ship. Reclaimer is a desert for most of it. Requiem is a mix of rocky/grassy terrain + Forerunner. Midnight, Shutdown, and Forerunner are the three levels that are almost exclusively Forerunner.

Welfare

Halo 4 didn't even have a snow level. That lava level in Spartan Ops would've been a cool aesthetic in campaign.

Halo 5 needs more diverse level aesthetics.

Welfare

4 did have lava levels didn't it?

Or at least stony with lava bits.

The campaign level Forerunner had some patches of lava here and there, but were tiny while the mission was rocks and forerunner structures.

Spartan Ops had a level that had more focus on the lava.

If Halo 3 was a better game on better netcode then maybe people would have went back to it for their competitive Halo game. Halo 3 built the coffin and Reach jumped into it. Halo 4 jumped into the hole and TMCC is burying itself.

Can TMCC pull a Beatrix Kiddo and save itself in order to regain its life for Halo 5?

jem0208

The campaign level Forerunner had some patches of lava here and there, but were tiny while the mission was rocks and forerunner structures.

Spartan Ops had a level that had more focus on the lava.
Yeah, I think I can remember. Been a long time since I played Spartan Ops...

Snow + lava would be cool.

Top Bottom