• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Man, after halo CE and Halo 2 on legendary. Halo 3 is easy mode. Well, I say that, until I have to do cortana. Not looking forward to that. On "the covenant " right now.

Fuchsdh

Man, after halo CE and Halo 2 on legendary. Halo 3 is easy mode. Well, I say that, until I have to do cortana. Not looking forward to that. On "the covenant " right now.

Playing the campaigns back to back I think Halo 3 unfortunately downgraded the Flood from "scary" to "a chore".

If you don't have an energy sword or dual plasmas you're playing the mission wrong. If you're good with sticks there's really only two really tough areas; judicious camo use will get you past the rest. That said I always get turned around in the vertical room shortly before the reactor, and that's usually my downfall.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
4 is a cakewalk. Fuck Knights though.

Yeah, I beat 4 in one sitting when it released. Halo Reach too. (On legendary if that wasn't implied)

CE and 2 were definitely the hardest and not on a good way.

Playing the campaigns back to back I think Halo 3 unfortunately downgraded the Flood from "scary" to "a chore".

If you don't have an energy sword or dual plasmas you're playing the mission wrong. If you're good with sticks there's really only two really tough areas; judicious camo use will get you past the rest. That said I always get turned around in the vertical room shortly before the reactor, and that's usually my downfall.

The only flood I fear are the damned spider ones. And you're right.

H2 was my first one and it was a pain, glad I got it over with. I'm more than half way through H4 atm, so much easier. I stopped though and started up CE. CE is pretty tough, I'm on Truth and Reconciliation, and it's quite annoying! I'll probably finish up CE, then go back to H4, and leave H3 for last.

Mega Bloks UNSC Light Assault VTOL set
Mega Bloks UNSC Helljumper Silver Metallic figure and drop pod
Halo 4 for Xbox 360
Halo First Strike Definitive Edition paperback
Halo Cryptum hardcover

all of which I am incredibly thankful for. except for Halo 4, I didn't already own any of it, so it's quite the haul!

What a stand up guy that Frankie is.

He's fond of bacon flavored bourbon.

45336-wonka-you-get-nothing-gif-MLdl.gif

Here's the first public version of Gaflo, I'd like at least a few people to try it out and give me feedback. There is no MP yet (unless you magically unlock splitscreen).

Requires Windows Vista or higher + DX10 or better. Download is 397 MB and decompresses to 1.29 GB.

Quote for links:

Feel free to send it to others if you think they're interested. If you have questions, feel free to PM me or post here.

I don't like smgs much either. But here is a fun fact: In Halo 2, 2 spartans can dual-wield smgs and take down a Banshee. So they have a niche purpose. And if I wanted to play Wolfenstein-WTF? I want to play HALO so at least give me a toggle for classic scope vs ADS-by-any-other-name-is-ADS.

Sheesh.

Skele7on

Banned
sorry I brought it up, all I was saying is that on any other control setup ADS seems fine.

But meanwhile on Bumper Jumper it was straight up jarring.

willow ve

sorry I brought it up, all I was saying is that on any other control setup ADS seems fine.

But meanwhile on Bumper Jumper it was straight up jarring.

Actually, on anything other than the new default controls you are at a distinct disadvantage due to the way the de-scope mechanism works.

You literally play on the default controls, or you're at a disadvantage.

Actually, on anything other than the new default controls you are at a distinct disadvantage due to the way the de-scope mechanism works.

Didn't Josh say that the actual difference was negligible?

Anyway, seems like it'd be an easy fix. Just take out auto-rescope.

I dont get why free button mapping is still not a thing in 2015.

343i should remove the accuary buffs in scope, ADS wouldnt be as necessary without that

Skele7on

Banned

Ha really, well shiit.

Don't ever apologize...

Qw5GVaD.gif

I won't ever again!

But will it get fixed, didn't see it in the patch notes.

In all honesty I need to play it again, hopefully we'll get some more time after e3?

willow ve

Developers (and creators in general) like to thrown things around like "functionally symmetrical" and other such fluff comments that don't hold up when you actually play the game.

It's not a dig at the creators at all - it's just recognizing that the way they play a game, the way they believe everyone plays their game, and the way the game is actually played by fans are 3 different things.

I see this in my own work all the time (architect). We design something and make inferences as to the general use and flow of the spaces - then realize 6 months later the users have found their own paths.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
We tried this setting and while on paper it should be equivalent, the perception amongst players was significantly worse when having to release and re-engage a trigger button to re-enter scope. FWIW, we have found that the vast majority of players (especially good players don't re-engage scope once they are de-scoped until the enemy is killed. This is because they are likely to vacillate between the two settings as a result of sustained fire and it makes their shot less predictable as a result.

For now we have settled on this difference as in sustained testing we see no functional advantage and it makes a significant difference in player perception, but we will keep looking at it and appreciate the feedback.

Ugh. Probably the only sticking point with my positive experience with h5b

Ugh. Probably the only sticking point with my positive experience with h5b

The advantage will be negligible if I can spawn with a BR. If AR starts are forced it will prove a significant advantage in 'out ARing' other players. Another reason to go AR/BR starts and settle for a draw between the two camps.

Out of interest, what did that thing turn out to be when Frank said something cool would happen to the posters on a certain page a few OT's back?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
The advantage will be negligible if I can spawn with a BR. If AR starts are forced it will prove a significant advantage in 'out ARing' other players. Another reason to go AR/BR starts and settle for a draw between the two camps.

Out of interest, what did that thing turn out to be when Frank said something cool would happen to the posters on a certain page a few OT's back?
For you perhaps, but for many others I can't help but think traditional halo players will be at a disadvantage. As far as br starts, thats a biiig "if"

Computer

I would be fine with AR/BR starts, The only problem is the pistol was my favorite weapon to use in H5. Fuck it lets start with all 3.

CliQ

If they up the range on the pistol I would be totally fine with AR/Pistol starts.

Also, Breakout or whatever it's called needs to be only pistols or at the very least not have a BR on the maps.

IHaveIce

Banned
If they up the range on the pistol I would be totally fine with AR/Pistol starts.

Also, Breakout or whatever it's called needs to be only pistols or at the very least not have a BR on the maps.

This. And less deadly grenades in Breakout. Just a smaller radius of explosion would help.

I could throw grenades crossmap to the other spawn and get often at least 2 others

Overdoziz

Banned
I don't think Breakout is ever gonna be any good with maps that small, no objective, long killtimes, Halo's relatively small shooting skill-gap. I feel like it's a gametype that won't work unless you turn the game into something that's not even close to Halo anymore.

Tawpgun

Red reticle range needs to go up on it for sure. I would gladly switch an AR out for a pistol on map. It's so nice having something you can hit y and immediatley start firing rapid shots.

Karl2177

I do not believe so.
You can only share one at a time currently, i think.
Dammit. Thanks team.

You gotta find the screenshot in yor activity feed or maybe upload and then one drive is in the share options.

Happy birthday btw consider that advice your present
Thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/tr7kUHE.png

Big team map's skybox progress. The actual map will be Valhalla (mostly).

Also, thanks to the one person who downloaded and gave feedback!

I'd be interested in checking it out over the weekend.

Skele7on

Banned
So essentially they're saying anyone on Bumper Jumper get good using scoped and descoped as otherwise you're bad and likely to die.

This is exactly why ADS is a horrible idea, you're splitting and possibly punishing a player because they like Bumper Jumper/other more custom controller settings?

Better get myself a scuff controller, looks like I'm going to need it at this rate.

Computer

So essentially they're saying anyone on Bumper Jumper get good using scoped and descoped as otherwise you're bad and likely to die.

This is exactly why ADS is a horrible idea, you're splitting and possibly punishing a player because they like Bumper Jumper/other more custom controller settings?

Better get myself a scuff controller, looks like I'm going to need it at this rate.

Ya I could not ground pound very well with the Halo 4 button layout in H5. I have decided I will need to get a Battle Beaver controller before H5 is released.

IHaveIce

Banned
I don't think Breakout is ever gonna be any good with maps that small, no objective, long killtimes, Halo's relatively small shooting skill-gap. I feel like it's a gametype that won't work unless you turn the game into something that's not even close to Halo anymore.
Yep,an objective would make it way better, but it would be CS at this point
God I love getting Environmentals
Yup!Lockout is great for it

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
tr7kUHE.png

Big team map's skybox progress. The actual map will be Valhalla (mostly).

Also, thanks to the one person who downloaded and gave feedback!

Downloading on school's WiFi right now, (clog them lanes). I'll give feedback once I've tried it out.

Does UE4 allow easy packing for OSX like Unity? I can test an OSX version as well if you want.

Downloading on school's WiFi right now, (clog them lanes). I'll give feedback once I've tried it out.

Does UE4 allow easy packing for OSX like Unity? I can test an OSX version as well if you want.
I can only package a mac version from a mac. I have a mac but it's a Macbook Air from 4 years ago and I don't think the engine would even run lol.

I have a feeling that Dr. Halsey might die in Halo 5.
There's no further reason for her purpose other than to help the Chief and locating the Absolute record.
After that she sorta served her purpose. Imo.

Fuchsdh

I have a feeling that Dr. Halsey might die in Halo 5.
There's no further reason for her purpose other than to help the Chief and locating the Absolute record.
After that she sorta served her purpose. Imo.

The problem I have with Halsey is that I don't really see any endgame for her character from a personal standpoint. She's a pretty bad human being, yes, but she's also indirectly/directly responsible with saving humanity and the galaxy. What else can she do to "redeem" her character beyond what she's already done? As such, there's not a lot of interesting stuff I think they can do with her besides people coming to their own conclusions. Her going rogue to further her own scientific curiosity seemed like a fait accompli.

Top Bottom