• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Ryn

Banned
We don't talk about rock paper scissors.
Should probably be listed in the OP

I'm pretty sure it's based on that render of Chief from the original Halo 3 trailer.
You mean the one where the ground collapses and Cortana talks about stuff?

"Tank beats EVERYTHING!"
I hope that they make more destroyable drop ships like in Halo 3. Grabbing a fuel rod gun and just annihilating a bunch of Covvies before they even dro was so satisfying.

New SPv3 footage for Custom Edition fans.

https://youtu.be/bxRc5GmX10k
Cool Brute Needler.
d1bfd8d0bf05f41c7426acacad94e7cb.gif

Blueblur1

A journalist called Benjamin Giraud, who made propaganda for ONI during the Covenant war, is now tasked with making a origin story for the Master Chief. He gets a few contacts who knew the Chief from ONI to interview, but he also found some of his own. During these interviews, he discovers there are some inconsistencies which eventually leads him to sources that basically tell them the real story behind the Spartan program.

During this time, his ONI contact is still bothering him with the original task, that Benjamin by now is deviating from quite a bit. After Benjamin hears enough about the Spartan program, he decides to ditch ONI and put online his discoveries about the Spartans. After he puts his story online, he is contacted by FERO, who is some kind of rebel leader. She tells Benjamin that she wants to help him expose the truth about ONI's crimes. She wants to do this by first releasing a shocking video about the chief, and then hack Benjamin in a United Earth government meeting with ONI, so that he can tell the leaders what he found out.

So the video that is released shows the Chief supposedly killing unarmed civilians at a outer colony during a peace talk with a Covenant delegation, and abducting the governor of that colony, only to drop him of later, death. This of course causes a huge outcry, and there apparently is a lot of chaos in the outer colonies.

Next Benjamin is hacked in the meeting and he does his say, although he can't see the UEG's reaction because his feed is a one way stream. What is does cause is a freeze of all of Benjamin's assets. This causes him to flee to a safe house, but not without a promise of protection by FERO. During his hiding, one of his sources give him another angle of the video, which shows that the people that the Chief killed in the earlier video were actually armed terrorists (some kind of anti covenant organisation) that were out to assassinate the governor.

So with out of the bag, another source tells him there valuable information for Benjamin on some kind of outer colony, but only for the coming 72 hours. For some reason that I can't remember, Benjamin returns to his old apartment that he fled a few days ago, only to see it completely evacuated. All doors, except the one to his rooms are all taped/plasticed(?) up. Of course, a after while, ONI agents show op, and almost capture Benjamin. However, FERO shows up and kills the 2 agents.She tells Benjamin that their original plan didn't work out. So FERO now has to try something that she says will probably have her killed in order to expose ONI. Benjamin convinces her to wait until he has visited the outer colony with the mysterious data. So he sets of to the planet, where he finds an old ONI builing with a working terminal. On the terminal, he downloads information about the Spartan program etc.

So that's where we are now. I may have gotten the order of some events wrong, but I think this largely is it. I would still recommend listening to it. It really is pretty good. Better than Sadie's story IMO.

Thank you, dude. Way more descriptive than I could have asked for.

-Ryn

Banned
New SPv3 footage for Custom Edition fans.

https://youtu.be/bxRc5GmX10k
Love the look of the Mark V armor and the new areas are pretty interesting. The interactive environments are a nice touch as well. The new (old?) Needler and the grenades are some really cool ideas as well.

Wasn't really into the redesign of the weapons aesthetics. A lot of it looks overly busy compared to the more simplistic designs of the original weapons. Crosshairs also look kinda gross (though I have no idea what is and isn't still a WIP).

Also, getting rid of the Sgt. Johnson scene is a big nope :mad:

Overall though that looked pretty fun. I'll have to give it a shot when I get my laptop back. Thanks for sharing dude.

Overdoziz

Banned
Love the look of the Mark V armor and the new areas are pretty interesting. The interactive environments are a nice touch as well. The new (old?) Needler and the grenades are some really cool ideas as well.

Wasn't really into the redesign of the weapons aesthetics. A lot of it looks overly busy compared to the more simplistic designs of the original weapons. Crosshairs also look kinda gross (though I have no idea what is and isn't still a WIP).

Also, getting rid of the Sgt. Johnson scene is a big nope :mad:

Overall though that looked pretty fun. I'll have to give it a shot when I get my laptop back. Thanks for sharing dude.
As with most of these types of graphics overhauls you usually end up with overdesigned models with textures that don't fit together in any cohesive way.

-Ryn

Banned
As with most of these types of graphics overhauls you usually end up with overdesigned models with textures that don't fit together in any cohesive way.
Less is more certainly seems to be an important philosophy that often goes unheeded amongst "amateur" works. I don't mean to piddle on their efforts or anything. There are some nice designs. It could just do with some adjustments.

RowdyReverb

I hope H5 carries on the tradition of 4-player split screen. I know it's a bit antiquated now with primarily online MP, but it'd sure make it easier to sell friends on the game (and possibly even console) if I could have them over to try it out. Sure, we could take turns playing in full screen, but where's the fun in that?

I hope H5 carries on the tradition of 4-player split screen. I know it's a bit antiquated now with primarily online MP, but it'd sure make it easier to sell friends on the game (and possibly even console) if I could have them over to try it out. Sure, we could take turns playing in full screen, but where's the fun in that?

Thought it was confirmed 2 play split screen only, but four players can party up?

I appreciate that work, but i don't like it. Brute needler is awesome...but....thats all. This is not the classic Halo for me. :( (I am so sorry)

Same here. This honestly just takes away a lot of the appeal CE has over the more modern Halos.

Halo CE had a good sense of weight to the spartan's movements, had simplistic UI to it's benefit, and the weapons looked sleek and practical.

I appreciate that work, but i don't like it. Brute needler is awesome...but....thats all. This is not the classic Halo for me. :( (I am so sorry)

Weird, I thought most everything looked awesome. Weapon feedback looks super improved across the board which was an issue I always had with Bungie Halo games. The added effects to some of the weapons also look great, especially the brute shot. Thing really has some serious pop to it.

-Ryn

Banned
Weird, I thought most everything looked awesome. Weapon feedback looks super improved across the board which was an issue I always had with Bungie Halo games. The added effects to some of the weapons also look great, especially the brute shot. Thing really has some serious pop to it.
Interesting. Personally I've always felt that weapon feedback has always been something Halo did pretty well. Do you mean like being able to tell if you are hitting the target?

Eh, you aren't really wrong. I like some of their additions (Brute Needler, Interactive Enviornments, Chiefs armor, and the new areas) but a lot of it doesn't feel like classic Halo. Feels kinda like clutter...

Interesting. Personally I've always felt that weapon feedback has always been something Halo did pretty well. Do you mean like being able to tell if you are hitting the target?

Maybe I just have the wrong definition of weapon feedback, but I use it the way I've seen it used around the internet. So yea, the definition I know is the weapon response in regards to the recoil, the visuals and audio of the weapon firing, and the way firing a weapon affects your control. Bungie's AR, for example, feels like a pea shooter in this regard. Shooting it gives you no sense of weapon power, it looks like it's spewing out bb's, sounds like shit and it minimally affects your control, which creates a disconnect between you and the weapon. Call of Duty's weapons suffer from this, but I would argue not as much as a lot of the weapons in Halo 1-3. Conversely, games like Counterstrike, Battlefield, Half Life 2, or the new Wolfenstein have great weapon feedback.

-Ryn

Banned
Maybe I just have the wrong definition of weapon feedback, but I use it the way I've seen it used around the internet. So yea, the definition I know is the weapon response in regards to the recoil, the visuals and audio of the weapon firing, and the way firing a weapon affects your control. Bungie's AR, for example, feels like a pea shooter in this regard. Shooting it gives you no sense of weapon power, it looks like it's spewing out bb's, sounds like shit and it minimally affects your control, which creates a disconnect between you and the weapon. Call of Duty's weapons suffer from this, but I would argue not as much as a lot of the weapons in Halo 1-3. Conversely, games like Counterstrike, Battlefield, Half Life 2, or the new Wolfenstein have great weapon feedback.
I'd say you've got the gist of what weapon feedback is (or at least my understanding of it lines up with yours). Though I also include how a weapon shows you've hit your mark.

It's funny because I've always thought CE had a really powerful sounding AR (unless you're referring to the Halo 3 AR in which I totally agree). Actually, CE in general had really good weapon design all around IMHO. The Pistol has a good fecoil to it and the bullets also flash when they make contact so it's a good indicator of a hit. Later Halo games had iffy feedback depending on the gun. The shotgun after CE for example felt horrible to use until Reach. So I can agree with you a bit that some of Halo's weapon feedback could use work. Overall though I've always enjoyed Halos guns.

HTupolev

It's funny because I've always thought CE had a really powerful sounding AR (unless you're referring to the Halo 3 AR in which I totally agree). Actually, CE in general had really good weapon design all around IMHO. The Pistol has a good fecoil to it and the bullets also flash when they make contact so it's a good indicator of a hit. Later Halo games had iffy feedback depending on the gun. The shotgun after CE for example felt horrible to use until Reach. So I can agree with you a bit that some of Halo's weapon feedback could use work. Overall though I've always enjoyed Halos guns.
Yep. CE's weapon feedback is fantastic, both aesthetically (the weapons feel juicy and their aesthetics convey their abilities well) and for gameplay purposes (i.e. the game backs up its projectile weapons with clearly visible impact effects/decals, timing is conveyed well, etc).

Yep. CE's weapon feedback is fantastic, both aesthetically (the weapons feel juicy and their aesthetics convey their abilities well) and for gameplay purposes (i.e. the game backs up its projectile weapons with clearly visible impact effects/decals, timing is conveyed well, etc).

You are so right.. I never understood why Halo lost its way with the weapon design and feedback.

Even the warthog in CE, while a bit flakey at times, actually took skill to drive and had an amazing sense of weight to it.

Why did this go away? It's one of the things that really sold me on Halo and every game after it was always disappointing in that regard.

FyreWulff

I always though Reach had really good feedback for multiplayer.

the shield flaring up and the CL-CLANG when it popped let me even just listen for the audio cue to know what was happening by reflex.

I'd say you've got the gist of what weapon feedback is (or at least my understanding of it lines up with yours). Though I also include how a weapon shows you've hit your mark.

Yea, you're right, I played too much Halo 3, that was the worst offender and it just stuck in my mind. I don't think CE's was particularly amazing in comparison to a lot of games, but the AR did actually feel pretty powerful. Wonder what the hell happened, it's been pretty sucky since. Every weapon in Halo 5 is pretty great though, I'm pumped to feel like a powerful ass spartan.

But back to my original point: I think that mod video made the weapons seem even more powerful, there's a lot of added sandbox variety there and I definitely want to try it. It may appear less cohesive artistically, but I wouldn't say it's to the level of being offensive. Props to those guys.

edit: I thought the shotgun felt great in Halo 3 actually, that was one gun where I felt like I was blowing people away. Reach had a good shotgun but the death animation was always the same from it, found that really odd.

I always though Reach had really good feedback for multiplayer.

the shield flaring up and the CL-CLANG when it popped let me even just listen for the audio cue to know what was happening by reflex.

Good point. The feel of the weapons in Reach were what kept me coming back.

Just wish the pistol would sound CE-beefy again.

and make it siver and shiney

edit: I thought the shotgun felt great in Halo 3 actually, that was one gun where I felt like I was blowing people away.

Yup, was the best feeling gun. Brute hammer felt great too.

Can't we all agree that Halo 3 was just gross feeling? =P

Edit: Odd... Could have sworn I was editing my post above. Sorry for double post.

Yup, was the best feeling gun. Brute hammer felt great too.

Can't we all agree that Halo 3 was just gross feeling? =P

Edit: Odd... Could have sworn I was editing my post above. Sorry for double post.

I can agree with that.

What's people's thoughts on H5 responsiveness? I remember being pretty impressed with how thing sounded and reacted.

Also, purrrrrrfect.

Impala26

I can agree with that.

What's people's thoughts on H5 responsiveness? I remember being pretty impressed with how thing sounded and reacted.

Also, purrrrrrfect.

The BR doesn't sound like a chirping bird anymore, so I was happy about that.

I definitely loved how the Light Rifle felt way more visceral and potent, plus I don't know how anyone can complain about the ADS mechanics with that weapon in particular.

daedalius

The BR doesn't sound like a chirping bird anymore, so I was happy about that.

I definitely loved how the Light Rifle felt way more visceral and potent, plus I don't know how anyone can complain about the ADS mechanics with that weapon in particular.

H5 light rifle is goat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom