• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the new game type won't outright replace classic big team battle. If the new mode was significantly larger in scale then there'd be no place for classic maps like Sidewinder or Waterworks, sure we could always play the older games, but I like spirtual successors in successive Halos. So maybe We'll have Arena+Classic Big Team and the new larger scale game type where there's loadouts and what not.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Flagnum is overshadowing all the good news? Maybe on Beyond. I'm hyped as hell about all the news today.

Madness

Just hard to get excited for Halo 5. Hype should be tempered by the realization of actual launch and how the games have ended up playing. Game Informer also took great pains to say 'COMPETITIVE ARENA' everytime they mentioned something. Does this mean a more casual non-Arena ie. Infinity 2.0 as well?

A lot of you may say choice is always good, you'll have Arena to fall back on. But if the other multi-player modes play very differently, one will inevitably suffer, just like Infinity vs Slayer Pro aka classic Halo.

Just hard to get excited for Halo 5. Hype should be tempered by the realization of actual launch and how the games have ended up playing. Game Informer also took great pains to say 'COMPETITIVE ARENA' everytime they mentioned something. Does this mean a more casual non-Arena ie. Infinity 2.0 as well?

A lot of you may say choice is always good, you'll have Arena to fall back on. But if the other multi-player modes play very differently, one will inevitably suffer, just like Infinity vs Slayer Pro aka classic Halo.

thinking they would abandon the garbage that is infinity would be asinine at best, its "their halo" flagnum and all.

Welfare

Just because 343 have said some pretty good things so far, like 20 launch maps, 15 free DLC maps, campaign goodness, and more, which are all really good, it doesn't mean that there are not things to complain about.

No splitscreen co-op in campaign is a big bummer, people don't like the Flagnum for good reasons, and as more info comes out, more people will have more aspects of the game to complain about.

One thing that isn't helping is 343 seem to have a really bad time of just giving the fans a straight answer. We know the Flagnum is back, but we don't know if we can drop the flag or not. What does 343 gain by saying "mix of old and new" and not flat out saying "flag drop is/isn't in"? What is the point of holding that detail back until a super secret planned out PR piece? There is none.

Madness

The campaign screenshots in the magazine look exactly like Halo 4. Which kind of scares me.

Damn I thought that was Halo 4. Just looked now and the HuD/health is the same from the H5 beta. That shot with Chief and the sword doesn't look too good. But if it's in-engine, it's probably a lot better than we expect. The elite definitely looks better though, almost Reach-esque in a sense.

I think it's more because of the fact they really took Halo 4 to the limit whereas Halo 5 is just the first step of the next gen, much like Halo 3.

jem0208

Damn I thought that was Halo 4. Just looked now and the HuD/health is the same from the H5 beta. That shot with Chief and the sword doesn't look too good. But if it's in-engine, it's probably a lot better than we expect. The elite definitely looks better though, almost Reach-esque in a sense.

I think it's more because of the fact they really took Halo 4 to the limit whereas Halo 5 is just the first step of the next gen, much like Halo 3.

It's fairly difficult to tell with these screenshots.

The screenshot of the red guy groundpounding directly into the camera whilst holding a sniper looks very good. Loads of detail in the character models.

Also H4 genuinely looks like a current gen games at certain points in the MCC. That first level is gorgeous.

Last few pages were nothing but hype.

Now it's time to properly get back to salt

I'm still hyped as fuck.

A little bummed about the lack of splitscreen co-op but overall the news today has been fantastic. The campaign stuff sounds amazing.

jelly

In motion it probably shows up better with the lighting and what not, also a 60fps shooter. We will just have to wait and see.

Madness

Is split screen co-op really an issue for a lot of people? Genuinely curious. I mean the majority of us are probably easily in our 20's to 40's, the days of being together with a friend after school or in a dorm are behind. And with dedicated servers for online, the fact no gold is required, you know most youngsters these days would rather play in their own homes full screen than do split screen.

Obviously it's big for a lot of people with large families, siblings, but aren't a lot of games cutting this out?

jem0208

Is split screen co-op really an issue for a lot of people? Genuinely curious. I mean the majority of us are probably easily in our 20's to 40's, the days of being together with a friend after school or in a dorm are behind. And with dedicated servers for online, the fact no gold is required, you know most youngsters these days would rather play in their own homes full screen than do split screen.

Obviously it's big for a lot of people with large families, siblings, but aren't a lot of games cutting this out?

It's a fairly big deal for me.

I absolutely love playing through the Halo campaigns in split screen with my brother. Kinda bummed I can't do that now. Although I'm not really going to have any time to play with him now so it's not too bad.

daedalius

I like to play the campaign with my wife, and my son when he can properly hold a controller and shoot aliens.

Pretty annoyed it's cut, but that's what the 2nd xbone is for I guess.

I like to play the campaign with my wife, and my son when he can properly hold a controller and shoot aliens.

Pretty annoyed it's cut, but that's what the 2nd xbone is for I guess.

Same here. I played all Halo campaigns with my wife. This REALLY just bummed her out.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Does your brother still post here or no? Back when I lurked I'd always see Franklinator post.

Nah, he doesn't visit GAF a lot anymore. He gave up on Halo quicker than I did. Neither of us have played much in what feels like forever.

It's crazy, we used to do Reach lobbies every single night. I miss that shit.

CliQ

So I'll probably take off work and beat the whole campaign on legendary. Would be cool to go in as a whole team of four. Anyone wanna join up with me at launch?

jem0208

Why the fuck does this have to drop in the week when I have 3 exams.

And then next week I have 3 more exams.

:(

Lol I'm out of school now so I'm FREE
for 3 months

Lucky bum... :p

In 2 weeks I will have finished, my last exam is on the 22nd. It is stats though so I might not survive the studying...

I have a glorious, glorious 3 month holiday after that though. Before I go to Uni, which is somewhat terrifying.

FyreWulff

this is 100% baseless speculation but I would guess the no Gold for co op (which is a good thing, and should be global to all games) is to account for the fact that you'll need to be online to do 4 player co-op at all.

You would then assume if this also applies to customs, that there would be no Gold requirement for those either.

Welfare

anyone have the comparison photo of Smart scope vs traditional scoping, im trying to show these IGN kids that smart scope blocks more of the screen

pFYS2wg.jpg

6KisK.jpg

this is 100% baseless speculation but I would guess the no Gold for co op (which is a good thing, and should be global to all games) is to account for the fact that you'll need to be online to do 4 player co-op at all.

You would then assume if this also applies to customs, that there would be no Gold requirement for those either.

To do coop at all, really.

Cannot wait for my copy of GI to get here... hnng.

Didn't they actually say they were going to tweak the DMR scope in that post-Beta update? That was definitely the most egregious example.

Considering dedicated servers are used for all multiplayer gametypes, I think you're correct.

Madness

Were it so easy.

i made one comment about ADS in a Podcast Unlocked group post and now im trying not to lose my mind to rampancy here.

Now that screenshot functionality exists, just take a pic of the BR on midship H2, Heretic H3, Haven or something H4, Stonetown H2A and then use the scope photos from Empire or Truth. I think I had even taken one myself when I could finally play bloodline.

Now that screenshot functionality exists, just take a pic of the BR on midship H2, Heretic H3, Haven or something H4, Stonetown H2A and then use the scope photos from Empire or Truth. I think I had even taken one myself when I could finally play bloodline.

didnt even think about that. i probably have a clip of myself using the DMR in H5 somewhere.

Madness

didnt even think about that. i probably have a clip of myself using the DMR in H5 somewhere.

JQjKfvU.jpg

I posted this after the March update when I finally got BTB on Bloodline going. Was just interesting to me how fluid and clear BR zoom was. Nothing was washed out. And I mean, if the sides being a but darker is a bother, surely a better and smarter option would be to not tint the sides, while maintaining the scope. I just felt like this BR classic zoom gave you far more visual and usable screen info, than having to see the iron sights in the middle for no reason.

Edit: Photo is junk because my smartphone is junk and I took it on the fly. Does anyone here know how screenshot functionality happens on the go quickly again? Same with record? I forgot after the Halo 5 beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom