• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Ryn

Banned
Lack of split screen co op is a major bummer. I was looking forward to playing with my roommate. I also find it weird since 343 confirmed a while ago that there would be multiplayer split screen. Is it because campaign would be more taxing to render for two screens?

That aside though, I am dancing on the hype train.

Over 20 maps at launch, 15 free DLC maps, Buck returning, and a holy-shit-amazing-totally-not-super-BTB gametype? I'm astounded. The new campaign elements sound really cool too. I suppose it's best to try and hold it off until we've seen E3 but my god! This really feels like we might be back.

Welp, I know at least one person who will be passing on H5 because of no co-op splitscreen. And I know him, he's not just saying that. He pretty much exclusively plays Halo splitscreen. Ah well. It definitely sucks and I do use splitscreen, but I can live without it. It's just a shame that I have to given how great everything sounds. I think 343i is probably taking the demand for 60 FPS and the complaints about H4's splitscreen performance a little too far. If they locked co-op to 30FPS and diminished the IQ and effects enough to make it possible if necessary, I think that would be acceptable, but I think they think otherwise. :\

jem0208

I just read the most bizarre post on gaming side. Apparently Destiny has a far more involving, interesting and adult premise than Halo.

Wut.

Smart scope still doesn't bother me, it's a very minor issue. If anything I quite like it on a few of the weapons. The BR looks great.

AlStrong

I suck at drawing hair.
aBKqtQp.png
YWcHM6Z.png

Ampoc

Neo Member
I love how Buck looks like a tank in his armour. In ODST he looked the smallest but now he's pretty beasty-looking.

blamite

The campaign screenshots in the magazine look exactly like Halo 4. Which kind of scares me.

Yeah I know it's way too little to make a real judgment by but the first person shot is not impressive at all, it basically looks exactly like the first mission of Halo 4 with a slightly different HUD.

Madness

I just read the most bizarre post on gaming side. Apparently Destiny has a far more involving, interesting and adult premise than Halo.

Wut.

Smart scope still doesn't bother me, it's a very minor issue. If anything I quite like it on a few of the weapons. The BR looks great.

Just look at the diversity of Halo talk compared to Destiny talk. Don't get me wrong, sure we go in circles but we pore over everything in terms of story lore, music, hud elements, game play, campaign etc. Almost every time I read or watch about destiny, it's about weapons upgrades, grinding, etc. No one is interested in the story or characters. Maybe I'm generalizing. But even here, Impala and others spent like 6 pages of Destiny talk just to get a single raid going. No wonder that thread moves so much.

This could be the darkest period of Halo games. We're almost at human vs human killing. The political machinations of post victory governments, the cost needed to get there. What it means to be a hero, as opposed to a guardian of light fighting darkness.

And nothing will ever bother you Jem haha.

-Ryn

Banned

Wut.

Space magic is serious business. Besides in Destiny you're fighting the DARKNESS. Way more adult.

Such story

Much mature

Wow

I suck at drawing hair.
That's avatar material right there that is. Jem?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly don't care at all if this game is graphically impressive. It could look like a more colorful, less blurry Reach and I'd be happy. I just want A+ gameplay, a decent framerate, and the highest resolution they can muster.

singhr1

Yeah I know it's way too little to make a real judgment by but the first person shot is not impressive at all, it basically looks exactly like the first mission of Halo 4 with a slightly different HUD.

Most of us have played the beta and have an initial understanding of how it looks. They have said they have improved the PBR and lighting engine as well and likely increased the resolution as they have optimized it.

Booshka

Space magic is serious business. Besides in Destiny you're fighting the DARKNESS. Way more adult.

Such story

Much mature

Wow

DARKNESS

Although, a game where Charlie Murphy was the antagonist would be better than Halo or Destiny.

Btb is honestly the casualist gametype.

Its going to be hot modern Garbo so why not.

They said sorry so all that wasted time doesn't exist. 343 can't do any wrong.

They'll play whatever is given to them, with no second thought. Its sad really.

trust us. feelslike halo. wait until the whole story comes out. there is no penalty to our redundant ADS animation.

keep shoveling 343.

thinking they would abandon the garbage that is infinity would be asinine at best, its "their halo" flagnum and all.

latest

Yeah, they're pretty deliberately femme.

sigh I feel like a Spartan's gender shouldn't be able to be distinguished through armor. I knew that was the case with the II's, why not with the IV's?

Suppose it's a case of visual identity overwhelming practical concern, like the color and variety of the armors. I can live with it.

Blueblur1

sigh I feel like a Spartan's gender shouldn't be able to be distinguished through armor. I knew that was the case with the II's, why not with the IV's?

The female models were kinda shitty in H4. I think they're trying to do the opposite and make them feminine again (and not oddly skinny).

jem0208

Just look at the diversity of Halo talk compared to Destiny talk. Don't get me wrong, sure we go in circles but we pore over everything in terms of story lore, music, hud elements, game play, campaign etc. Almost every time I read or watch about destiny, it's about weapons upgrades, grinding, etc. No one is interested in the story or characters. Maybe I'm generalizing.

This could be the darkest period of Halo games. We're almost at human vs human killing. The political machinations of post victory governments, the cost needed to get there. What it means to be a hero, as opposed to a guardian of light fighting darkness.

And nothing will ever bother you Jem haha.

Yeah, the guy has yet to respond. I'm tempted to think it's a troll.

I agree though, Halo is surprisingly dark underneath it's rather colourful and amusing game exterior with silly grunts etc. Even in the games if you look at but deeper it can get pretty interesting. In Halo 2 and 3 it deals with the manipulation of entire races through religious fanaticism by the Prophets. Halo 4 explores the concept of the humanity of Spartans and whether or not they're just hardware. The whole concept of Halo rings and the flood is terrifying; an enemy so unwavering the only way to destroy it is to destroy yourself.

I love Halo.

And yeah, I don't let much bother me, I'd rather focus on the positives. Nothing is perfect, might as well enjoy everything as much as possible. Life is too short to get hung up on minor details.

Such story

Much mature

Wow

That's pretty much what I said :p

And I would but I'm on my phone! I should be asleep to be honest...

RowdyReverb

Finally read the GI article. Very excited that campaign is supporting more varied approaches to scenarios as opposed to being another corridor shooter. Also, issuing commands, scaling difficulty, and reviving teammates should help foster team play online. It's a great way to shake up the old Halo campaign formula. I really, really hope they include matchmaking for co-op or allow randoms to drop in/out of your game a la Far Cry 4 so I can play this mode with real people on a whim. Would love to suddenly drop in to some stranger's game in the middle of some random level.

On one hand, I can agree with them being true to the books and make all armor look identical, but on the other hand I think it improves the story and character development to have each Spartan be unique, and they probably have to exaggerate the feminine body shape of the femsparts to get the point across that they aren't just smaller dudes.

Honestly, Halo's always had a surprising amount of darkness and depth to it. You don't get a lot of it in the games (ODST and maybe Reach aside), admittedly, but it's there. Saying that Destiny is more mature in concept is... something else, lol.

Also:

And yeah, I don't let much bother me, I'd rather focus on the positives. I don't see much point getting hung up on minor details. Nothing is perfect, might as well enjoy everything as much as possible.

*fistbump*

My actual life is plenty depressing without letting shit like this get me down. Gotta let it slide off ya.

Have to appeal to the kids who made Hentai drawings with forge weapons and took screenshots of Kat's ass

Madness

Reading about Blue Team and Fireteam Osiris stuff reminds me of Reach. I felt that's how Reach was gonna be. Jorge is the heavy gunner, Jun and his sniper provide long range support, Emile is our CQC badass. We'd leave the lone wolf stuff behind and yet 80% of campaign we're alone. Emile was next to useless in the final level for me, especially beyond Heroic. He's trying to shotgun elites and hunters from like 20 feet away. Kat was one of the worst drivers I've seen. So I hope this team based campaign is much more cohesive and approachable. Not saying I want my hand held with Linda going boom Headshot every second, but I'd like if Chief doesn't go it alone again for the majority of the campaign.

Halo 5 really seems to be shaping up to the the transitional point in the series. Where it moves beyond the previous 3 games in terms of scope. We're getting vastly different multi-player and campaign. Halo itself is becoming something entirely new. It's both exciting and worrying at the same time. Everyone always complained campaign was a flat A to B finish and now we're going to have different ways to beat a level, different objectives, etc.

Reading about Blue Team and Fireteam Osiris stuff reminds me of Reach. I felt that's how Reach was gonna be. Jorge is the heavy gunner, Jun and his sniper provide long range support, Emile is our CQC badass. We'd leave the lone wolf stuff behind and yet 80% of campaign we're alone. Emile was next to useless in the final level for me, especially beyond Heroic. He's trying to shotgun elites and hunters from like 20 feet away. Kat was one of the worst drivers I've seen. So I hope this team based campaign is much more cohesive and approachable. Not saying I want my hand held with Linda going boom Headshot every second, but I'd like if Chief doesn't go it alone again for the majority of the campaign.

Halo 5 really seems to be shaping up to the the transitional point in the series. Where it moves beyond the previous 3 games in terms of scope. We're getting vastly different multi-player and campaign. Halo itself is becoming something entirely new. It's both exciting and worrying at the same time. Everyone always complained campaign was a flat A to B finish and now we're going to have different ways to beat a level, different objectives, etc.

I was just about to post almost this exactly. I have kind of been waiting for halo to evolve in this way but it has to be done right. I dont want it to be a reborn franchise, but I would like to see it make some leaps. I like the idea of BTB being some crazy new thing as long as i can experience classic arena halo when i want it which is how they went about it.

After this Game informer info it is really hard to be calm and not anxious about fall. I had H5 completley off my radar till now. The struggle wait begins 。゚(゚´Д`゚)゚。

Fuck me, HaloGAF couldn't hold all my hype positivity right now so I'll just post this shitty one liner :)

Hump day in Aus and I log on to this Halo bonanza, damn fine job 343.

wwm0nkey

I was just about to post almost this exactly. I have kind of been waiting for halo to evolve in this way but it has to be done right. I dont want it to be a reborn franchise, but I would like to see it make some leaps. I like the idea of BTB being some crazy new thing as long as i can experience classic arena halo when i want it which is how they went about it.

After this Game informer info it is really hard to be calm and not anxious about fall. I had H5 completley off my radar till now. The struggle wait begins 。゚(゚´Д`゚)゚。

I really want BTB to just be insane. While I do want classic BTB I want them to go all out on a new BTB mode.

Just when I start heckling the RH crew over their update-aphobia, they post a pretty good writeup of the GI piece! Much thanks, my copy won't be here for a few days.

One bit caught my eye:

The second mission of the game, aptly titled Blue Team, features the eponymous squad working their way through a stolen and/or derelict UNSC craft that's gone off the grid for roughly two years, and has been ravaged through by the now-dwindling remains of Jul Mdama's extremist Covenant faction.

Did they name the ship? There's one derelict UNSC vessel I'm veeeery interested to see make a comeback. Been a while since we last heard from the Spirit of Fire...

Just when I start heckling the RH crew over their update-aphobia, they post a pretty good writeup of the GI piece! Much thanks, my copy won't be here for a few days.

One bit caught my eye:

Did they name the ship? There's one derelict UNSC vessel I'm veeeery interested to see make a comeback. Been a while since we last heard from the Spirit of Fire...
roughly two years =! missing with all hands since 2532ish

Madness

Yeah I'm trying to be more open minded. Halo is a mature series. A total reboot of the game would turn off the existing fans, while giving us a very traditional game may not grab the new players who have yet to play most of the older players. My little cousins have been hooked on games like Destiny etc. Either way, E3 can't come soon enough where we'll start to see final game play, get videos of campaign action, see the changes to MP since beta. I did notice a cleaner and more colorful image for what they were showing with the underwater map. I felt visual fidelity and clarity was poor in the beta.

RowdyReverb

Wish ranks weren't removed for TS (that did happen, right? 343 said they would)
Yeah, no more ranked TS. Though, TS was a bit of a crapshoot since you might be good at every game but one and subsequently lose rank each time that's picked. If it's any consolation, out of the four H3 games I've played, all have voted against the objective game in slot 1

One bit caught my eye:

I forget the name specifically, but to my knowledge it's a vessel new to Halo 5 with no prior contextual baggage.

Obscured

Next week is going to be crazy. I wonder how much they'll actually be sharing. Sounds like the broad strokes of the campaign, but hopefully more about this other epic MP experience.

I wonder what they are going to add to get that addictive gameplay. I don't want a grind-fest, but as Destiny has shown me, that stuff works.

-Ryn

Banned
mm... did what I could. :p

bonus

(mohawk & dreadlocks???)

-----

Kelly has a bit of a smooth dome. I don't think I can be that mean today. :p

---------

:O

I think I've got 343i microtransactions covered. Hire me 343i!
lmao amazing

Nice job dude. That's some awesome stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom