• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried team doubles a few times tonight. Connection was fine. However, I hated every second of it.

It was all Halo 3.

HAWT GAWBIDGE.

That's why I'm glad the other playlists have ranks now. Everyone just voted H3 in TS no matter what. Oh Midship BR starts? No fuck that LETS PLAY STANDOFF AR!!)(ij#j!)(#j)(i

That's why I'm glad the other playlists have ranks now. Everyone just voted H3 in TS no matter what. Oh Midship BR starts? No fuck that LETS PLAY STANDOFF AR!!)(ij#j!)(#j)(i

Yeah...I also don't understand the constant oddball/king of the hill voting in team doubles. I just could never get into those.

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
Quite pleased with the aesthetic diversity in Fireteam Osiris' MJOLNIR suits, Buck looks great.

I still feel like a more classic Mark VIish look for Blue Team would have been more appropriate though, what with the constant Spartan II/IV juxtaposition.

So the Covenant speak in English again. Staten back on the mic then?
It's mentioned in the GI cover by Frankie that he begged Staten to do Halo: Shadow of Intent and to do a developer commentary for ODST. He won't be working on anything else Halo related anytime soon unless if they can convince him otherwise.

My oh my.

I was busying playing ARK: Survival Evolved last night, as well as recovering from the stress of trying to sort out solicitors so I can finally move house yesterday, but I read through all the info dropped last night.

Damn I'm hyped.

Campaign sounds great, I loved the beta (At least the Arena side of things) and FREE DLC for the multiplayer is beyond fantastic.

Monday can't come soon enough. Even agreed with my boss to work my lunch and leave an hour early, just so I can be home in time to watch it live.

There's no hype like Halo hype. Hilarious seeing the difference between the last time Game Informer covered a new Halo game...I hope this is a strong return for all of us.

Madness

So seems Cortana is gone permanently? I mean I guess they're going to use her one last time as this ghost/vision/voice stuff, but you'd think the story would bring someone as pivotal as her back. I mean imagine if Halsey was able to give another Cortana but she's not the exact same and never will be, etc.

Kibbles

So seems Cortana is gone permanently? I mean I guess they're going to use her one last time as this ghost/vision/voice stuff, but you'd think the story would bring someone as pivotal as her back. I mean imagine if Halsey was able to give another Cortana but she's not the exact same and never will be, etc.
I thought the whole reveal trailer was leading onto the fact Chief is trying to get her 'fixed' somehow and bring her back.

Hilarious seeing the difference between the last time Game Informer covered a new Halo game...I hope this is a strong return for all of us.

Yeah dude, just the fact that the majority of people here aren't pissed off is good enough for me. I'm not as picky as I use to be, but it's nice to be hyped together about something instead of bickering about junk.

I would find it very odd as well. However, with the blue team back...that could actually provide an interesting enough back and forth between Chief that could actually be better in Cortana's absence.

jem0208

I don't think she's entirely dead (Spoilers from the Game Informer)

In the dream scene described in the article she tells the Chief that "the domain is open" and warns him of something happening in 3 days.

Assuming the prediction is true, how would the Chief dream about it? Assuming Halo stays somewhat grounded in its universe, the Chief can't predict the future in his dreams. I think it's possible that some fragment of Cortana remains and is talking to the Chief through the Domain. At the end of 4 when the is splitting herself inside the Didact's ship, I imagine it would be possible one of those fragments found a way to access the domain and stored herself on it.

The result of this could that we hear from Cortana at regular intervals throughout the story.

Also another interesting note is when she says "The reclamation has begun". Which mirrors the Didact's line at the end of H4 rather closely. He was talking about reclaiming the mantle, I imagine the best way to do that would be through destroying the humans. Perhaps by using scary space birds which are destroying outer colonies and causing all those deep space anomalies?

I think we're going to be seeing all out war between Humans and some form of Forerunner army, perhaps not in H5 but definitely in H6.

Edit: damn that split screen thread is salty.

Random17

Wait, I'm assuming that the revive mechanic only lasts a certain amount of time right? Or do you just lie there until someone revives you lol?

I can see a lot of revert back to previous checkpointing if the latter is the case. The death of the player shouldn't be entirely removed from gameplay, imo. Things can get very stale otherwise...

My oh my.

I was busying playing ARK: Survival Evolved last night, as well as recovering from the stress of trying to sort out solicitors so I can finally move house yesterday, but I read through all the info dropped last night.

Damn I'm hyped.

Campaign sounds great, I loved the beta (At least the Arena side of things) and FREE DLC for the multiplayer is beyond fantastic.

Monday can't come soon enough. Even agreed with my boss to work my lunch and leave an hour early, just so I can be home in time to watch it live.

There's no hype like Halo hype. Hilarious seeing the difference between the last time Game Informer covered a new Halo game...I hope this is a strong return for all of us.

Neeeeerd

I'm taking the whole day off.

Madness

I thought the whole reveal trailer was leading onto the fact Chief is trying to get her 'fixed' somehow and bring her back.

I'm pretty sure that was just a one-off thing no? They probably do have something similar planned. But all that original teaser showed was a rogue Chief in disguise with Cortana's chip. It probably later evolved into the Guardians etc.

I don't think she's entirely dead (Spoilers from the Game Informer)

In the dream scene described in the article she tells the Chief that "the domain is open" and warns him of something happening in 3 days.

Assuming the prediction is true, how would the Chief dream about it? Assuming Halo stays somewhat grounded in its universe, the Chief can't predict the future in his dreams. I think it's possible that some fragment of Cortana remains and is talking to the Chief through the Domain. At the end of 4 when the is splitting herself inside the Didact's ship, I imagine it would be possible one of those fragments found a way to access the domain and stored herself on it.

The result of this could that we hear from Cortana at regular intervals throughout the story.

Also another interesting note is when she says "The reclamation has begun". Which mirrors the Didact's line at the end of H4 rather closely. He was talking about reclaiming the mantle, I imagine the best way to do that would be through destroying the humans. Perhaps by using scary space birds which are destroying outer colonies and causing all those deep space anomalies?

I think we're going to be seeing all out war between Humans and some form of Forerunner army, perhaps not in H5 but definitely in H6.

Didact also said Reclamation has begun at the end of the legendary ending of Halo 4 during his speech on how in this hour of victory they taste only defeat. I think that's precisely it, it's just some fragment of Cortana that is still a part of Chief and whatever Librarian did to him, coupled with his memories and own thoughts. I don't know just reading some of the game informer stuff, some stuff on Twitter like Frank saying I have bad news about Cortana for you, Josh writing her sacrifice wasn't in vain. I'm thinking she's gone as we knew Cortana. We'll have her as this voice/ghost/memory for John, but that's pretty much it. Maybe she still exists somewhere in the Forerunner digital world.

zychi

Banned
Have you guys all moved on from the 360 halo's to mcc? Went back tonight and played some reach and 3. Still love the games

She is?

Good. Bringing her back would cheapen her death. Mortality is good.

HTupolev

Have you guys all moved on from the 360 halo's to mcc?
Not really.

The oXbox version of Halo 1 is easily my favourite. Dat audio and non-broken OG graphics.
The MCC version of Halo 2 is a somewhat compelling alternative, but it still has drawbacks, such as an inability to satisfy the deep-seated human desire to fly with swords.
I have some qualms with the 3/ODST ports, especially regarding the brightness curves and changes to how audio is filtered and balanced.
Reach is only available on 360.

I mostly just play MCC on occasional Fridays for the bungie.org customs nights. MCC has substantial merit for that purpose, even if it has some big annoyances (like a terrible file system).

Geeeez I think I'm going to have to hold off on H3 until better players and parties get ranked out of my league.

Is team size matching enabled? If it isn't the ranked playlists are half worthless and will suffer greatly in population terms. I ask because Team Slayer didn't have it when ranked and Bravo said they were going to fix that. They never did, to my knowledge. If I'm expected to care about my rank (which is the carrot to continue playing in a ranked list) then I'm not going to risk playing alone, lest I face the inevitable team of four with mics, call outs and coordination while I'm staring at a dino ARing a wall. Every other solo player or team of two who cares about their rank will also avoid the list when not in a To4 and this will decimate the population, increase wait times and decrease Trueskill accuracy.

Every other ranked Halo had team size matching enabled. Frankie, et al, please ensure MCC has it. I really don't want to see a blog in a couple months time saying ranks are being removed because they tanked the population.

Halo 5 DLC news is shocking coming from MS. Very positive news for the long term playlist management of that game.

Akai__

Wait, Halo 3 is ranked now? No freaking guests more, who go -22? Might check it out, but I'll still quit AR starts no matter what.

Did they add Halo 3 to Hardcore yet and if not, why?

Even the people defending the lack of splitscreen in that thread are making me want to hit my head on the wall. The whole thing is incredible.

#bothpartiesarethesame

The gaming side splitscreen thread smh

It seems the people there play Halo only because of splitscreen. I mean it sucks that it is gone, but it's not like Halo is the only game that doesn't have splitscreen anymore.

The posts I like the most are those who complain about ''Halo without Bungie'' because Destiny doesn't have splitscreen at all.

The gaming side splitscreen thread smh

Just checked it. Fifteen pages. Fifteen (15). There must be 9 people total in North America that still spilt screen co-op. I've never used it in the 14 years I've been playing the series.

I wish you could get a 15 page outrage thread about AR starts on Sandtrap being in BTB 7 months after launch.

Honestly, Halo's always had a surprising amount of darkness and depth to it. You don't get a lot of it in the games (ODST and maybe Reach aside), admittedly, but it's there. Saying that Destiny is more mature in concept is... something else, lol.

Both franchises can be pretty dark... But the approach is different. Also, a good bit of the really dark stuff is found in expanded universe stuff:

- In Halo, you'll find the darkest beats in the books.
- In Destiny, there's some truly dark stuff in the Grimoire Cards.

The games themselves touch and flirt with darker themes, but for the most part, they stay on lighter ground (ODST, Reach, chunks of Halo 4 and some of the context of the story missions in Destiny aside).

I don't think you can really compare the two- they both cover similar themes, and they are both humans-vs-what's-out-there, but I wouldn't call one darker than the other, or vice versa.

I greatly enjoy both franchises, and my biggest complaint for both is that some of the best story elements aren't actually in the games themselves, but waiting to be discovered in novels or grimoire.

I have a week booked for Halo 5 release. It's gonna be awesome.

Same here. Taking off that entire week with bookend weekends.

IHaveIce

Banned
Even the people defending the lack of splitscreen in that thread are making me want to hit my head on the wall. The whole thing is incredible.

#bothpartiesarethesame
What? Most defenders are on point, it is missing to push the performance which is good.

Also many of the outraged guys in there never posted in a halo thread, hilarious.

Good to see people in here are more sane even Elzar. Also agree on Henery's remark gametypes that are absolute bogus should raise discussions, not this.

jem0208

What? Most defenders are on point, it is missing to push the performance which is good.

Also many of the outraged guys in there never posted in a halo thread, hilarious.

Good to see people in here are more sane even Elzar. Also agree on Henery's remark gametypes that are absolute bogus should raise discussions, not this.

Eh, some of the people saying stuff like "I didn't use it so I'm glad it's gone" are pretty off base.

I have issue more with the fact that the splitscreen problem is the only thing being discussed from the article, shines a rather depressing light on how much people love to complain.

Akai__

In the end, I would probably agree with any sacrifice that they have to make in order to get a consistent 60FPS.

What? Most defenders are on point, it is missing to push the performance which is good..

Usually, all the games that come with splitscreen come with sacrifices, but only if you enter the feature. Mario Kart 8 (might not be the best example) is 60FPS solo, 60FPS in 2 player splitscreen, but any more players and it will be 30FPS.

It wouldn't affect people who play solo, so the defending is not really justified from a performance view. At least, not in my eyes.

I couldn't believe my eyes while reading that thread.

People saying they wouldn't buy the game because no splitscreen co-op.

Seriously?

"What, it doesn't come with <insert feature here>? No buy for me." is pretty much a standard sentence that can apply to anything. I see it so often and always have to shake my head, because some things are really ridiculous.

In this case, I can understand why people would say that, though.

Some people only play the game in coop or only care about playing coop with their friend or brother or son or whatever.
What is hard to understand there? You don't sound any better than the people you're complaining about with that lack of empathy.

Seriously?

I would think that someone who enrages over that detail and claims that it's what will cause then to boycott the game weren't going to buy the game anyway, or were already leaning that direction. People literally dig through the pixels to find something, anything, to take the piss over.

Madness

Seriously?

No kidding. Don't get me wrong it's always better to have something in than not, but have some perspective. This is the straw that breaks the camels back on whether you'll buy the game, the fact that you can't split screen co-op the campaign? Either play over live with friends, or take turns playing the single player with your relatives/friends at your house. Just because it was there in an era that live play wasn't as widespread or that many people actually could utilize it means it should be there forever? Some guy even said to cut the graphics, downgrade the resolution, lower the frame rate to get it in there. At that point it becomes, why?

I get some people use the feature, and love it. But 343 said it's hard to maintain what they want in the campaign, 60fps etc. With split screen. Accept that as the reason it's not in there.

There must be 9 people total in North America that still spilt screen co-op.

(faux edit: this post became a bit longer than I expected and I should clarify up front that it's not specifically in response to you)

Come on, let's not be hyperbolic for the sake of defending the choice. Literally every single person I know in real life (myself included) and every one of my close online friends that plays Halo still plays splitscreen co-op, at least from time-to-time, to this day. Yes, I know that's just one person's story and of course I know you don't literally mean 9 people, but still. Lets not pretend that ability to play a game with friends when you're in the same room together is some bizarre anachronism, a relic of the past that simply must die because of how absurdly dated it is.

I definitely understand the technical and design reasons that led to the feature being removed, and I feel the reaction has been extreme and in some cases outright ridiculous. I think it's absolutely a shame that it's apparently all GAF can talk about on the gaming side (along with numerous other people and places online) when so much awesome news has come out. I also understand that the feature is not as widely used as it once was. But there certainly still is a place for it in modern gaming and to act like it's absurd that anyone could possibly be upset at the removal of the feature is, to be quite frank, dumb.

In general I think it's an absolute shame that splitscreen gaming is continuing to die. Even Nintendo's support has been spotty at best, with Mario Kart 8 capping out at 2 players and Splatoon relegating it to a tacked on, anemic side-mode. It's just sad that now-a-days if I hang out with friends my gaming options are quickly becoming limited to Smash Bros. and legacy titles. It's getting to the point where I literally have to be away from my friends if I want to play videogames with them. Being an adult my opportunities to hang out with my close, long-time friends are rare, so the proliferation of online functionality was awesome, because now I can "hang out" with them multiple times a week. It was a nice way to supplement, not replace, the occasions when I can hang out with them and play a shit-ton of vidyagames together. But now I can't start up a LASO mission and screw around with my buddy, or have more than one friend over to play Halo competitive splitscreen, which is a bummer.

Again though, I completely understand the decisions and circumstances that have lead to this being the case and I'm not about to rant on the gaming side about how "343i are completely inept and ruining Halo with this, bring back Bungie!". But I'm not going to support people on the other side saying splitscreen players don't exist anymore or that the feature is better off left in the 90's where it belongs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom