• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
bbc5bf73860aded8e0c3b156e5256585.jpg

Ahahahahaha I can't stop laughing. My coworkers are giving me odd looks.

Yeah those screens don't look so hot. Compression's probably got a lot to do with it but outside of the models, it's kind of rough.

I'm guessing it'll all look better in motion though.

From what's been shown Halo 5 doesn't look like a huge improvement over Halo 4....imo the game looks like it could be Halo 4. But hopefully you're right and it does look good in motion.

Mix

Yeah those screens don't look so hot. Compression's probably got a lot to do with it but outside of the models, it's kind of rough.

I'm guessing it'll all look better in motion though.

yeah man, it looks much better in the actual app on my laptop. Those are hyper compressed lol.

Blueblur1

Yeah, I wouldn't get upset over it just yet. None of the campaign stuff is interesting because of the similar assets. Storm Covenant look pretty much the same too. Hopefully the e3 reveal is where things will get interesting.

AlStrong

YStorm Covenant look pretty much the same too. Hopefully the e3 reveal is where things will get interesting.

I hope the Forerunner obliterate the sub-species because they were useless to stop Chief & Infinity
and because their very designs are heretical

Played Extraction for the first time, I didn't even know what it was. It was a lot of fun though, reminds me of Salvage from Destiny. Wouldn't mind seeing it in H5.

VinFTW

Looking at those new GI scans on r/Halo.

Damn, games gorgeous. I can see SOME resemblance to H4, but that Locke shot by the canyon is def. far and above what we saw in H4.

Fuchsdh

Played Extraction for the first time, I didn't even know what it was. It was a lot of fun though, reminds me of Salvage from Destiny. Wouldn't mind seeing it in H5.

Extraction was a lot of fun, especially the custom Invasion-like multi-stage Forge maps people created.

I look for particulars when comparing games. Halo 4 and 5 have pretty much identical art styles (see storm covenant), so it's easy to shrug it off and say it looks the same. So I compare what the visors look like from 4 to 5, where in 5 they look more reflective, have better texture work and lack the strange matte look in 4. The environment in the campaign screenshots is very similar to the opening level in 4, but there's obviously a higher fidelity with the textures, shadows look better too. Really hoping the game gets to 1080, it would look pretty great.

I'm more interested in what this indicates for gameplay though, I'd much rather have more open environments with multiple ways of approaching a situation and the GI article describes just that.

Mix

I look for particulars when comparing games. Halo 4 and 5 have pretty much identical art styles (see storm covenant), so it's easy to shrug it off and say it looks the same. So I compare what the visors look like from 4 to 5, where in 5 they look more reflective, have better texture work and lack the strange matte look in 4. The environment in the campaign screenshots is very similar to the opening level in 4, but there's obviously a higher fidelity with the textures, shadows look better too. Really hoping the game gets to 1080, it would look pretty great.

I'm more interested in what this indicates for gameplay though, I'd much rather have more open environments with multiple ways of approaching a situation and the GI article describes just that.
the undersuits also look ridiculously better in 5

jem0208

Probably referring to Tunavi's only post in the last several days:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=167134568&postcount=579
Damn, someone's salty that he sold his X1 after reading the GI news. H5's campaign is gunna be so good.

Looking at those new GI scans on r/Halo.

Damn, games gorgeous. I can see SOME resemblance to H4, but that Locke shot by the canyon is def. far and above what we saw in H4.
The game looks a hell of a lot better than H4, we already knew that from the beta.

Those pictures aren't fantastic but you can see the models have crazy amounts of detail, even in the MP. The pictures of the campaign level do have a very H4 look, however that's understandable considering we'll be fighting in another derelict ship. I don't think that's a problem though, the first level of 4 is gorgeous.

There's also some really, really nice lighting in that Fathom level. Reflections from the water and the light cascading down from the surface look gorgeous.

Halo 5 on top. Halo 4 on bottom.

Am I delusional, or does halo 4 look superior in detail and in lighting? I know halo 5 is still unfinished at this point but... The difference is striking.

No scans remember. Also I disagree, the lighting is clearly better in the H5 shot, it's just less flattering, you can see reflections on Cheif's visor and some nice bloom. 5's model is also clearly more detailed.

lDw2zDk.jpg

Halo 5 on top. Halo 4 on bottom.

Am I delusional, or does halo 4 look superior in detail and in lighting? I know halo 5 is still unfinished at this point but... The difference is striking.

darthbob

Is anyone else as stoked as I am over the fact that we finally get to play alongside actual, real Spartan-IIs?

Ever since reading TFoR and First Strike, it's all I ever wanted in a Halo game.

Akai__

That outdoor shot with Locke looks really really good. Indoor, it looks like they reused Halo 4 assets from the FuD and Infinity, but I can't tell for sure. Screenshots are not the best quality and a video tells you much more obviously.

Nice graphics are not everything, though. Hope the gameplay blows me away, because I could really use a good Halo campaign again. :)

Fuchsdh

This are not really "scans",,, they are from the Digital issue. It wont change magicly the look if we get this screens in 1080p-

Well, getting images that aren't compressed to hell and back will still make things look dramatically better. I dunno if the digital magazine was that bad or it's just how cruddy people are at recompressing stuff.

jem0208

This are not really "scans",,, they are from the Digital issue. It wont change magicly the look if we get this screens in 1080p-

The images are still compressed to hell and back though. The game is going to look better than in those screens.

Also we already know the game looks pretty damn good from the beta.
Well, getting images that aren't compressed to hell and back will still make things look dramatically better. I dunno if the digital magazine was that bad or it's just how cruddy people are at recompressing stuff.

FrySquint.gif

FyreWulff

Not liking splitscreen being gone is a legitimate concern. I know plenty of people (couples, especially married ones for example) that solely play Halo via splitscreen.

We even had a husband/wife killteam on our regular Halo matchmaking crew.. they were always playing via splitscreen. Only recently were they forced to buy multiple consoles so they could play Destiny together. They always had enough money to have two 360s and now two PS4s.. but a lot of people just like being on the same screen and being together.

Personally, I'll wait to see the final game if cutting split was worth it, but wanting split isn't stupid or an out-of-date idea. There could be technical reasons -besides graphics- behind why they had to drop it, much like how 2 player mode in San Andreas had to keep you on the same screen because they couldn't load completely separate world tiles for each player.

singhr1

I'm glad that they clarified so quickly- and the 14 days of XBL that comes with the game is certainly a nice touch.

Indeed, they've bundled approx. same free XBL Gold with older halo games, nice to see them do it again. I remember I needed it way back when I couldn't pay for my own stuff.

Ramirez

Are there actually a large number of people who own a Xbox One and don't subscribe to Gold?

Just seems like so many games require it, i couldn't even boot up PVZ:GW the other day for my kid when the Internet was out, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom