• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there actually a large number of people who own a Xbox One and don't subscribe to Gold?

Just seems like so many games require it, i couldn't even boot up PVZ:GW the other day for my kid when the Internet was out, lol.

This always surprises me... That there are people who have Xbox One's who don't pay for Gold. I'm sure they do actually exist, but I haven't met any so far lol.

From the new Gameinformer Video:
h5cgvdjui.png

lDw2zDk.jpg

Halo 5 on top. Halo 4 on bottom.

Am I delusional, or does halo 4 look superior in detail and in lighting? I know halo 5 is still unfinished at this point but... The difference is striking.

Are you kidding? No way. From a technical perspective, the H5 shot appears to have way more going on, more light sources in general, note the way the light's affecting the visor and even the top of his helmet, etc. While in Halo 4 it might be a more "natural-looking" or "smooth" light, it's using considerably less light sources and is basically just the background lighting and the single light source from the Energy Sword lighting up his whole suit.

I wasn't going to bring it up until I saw some actual in-game screens, but based on everything I've seen so far it looks like they've basically combined 4's high-level-of-detail aesthetic with the cleaner textures and brighter colors of Halo 2 Anniversary, and it looks great. The smoother armor in that H5 shot almost reminds me of Smash 4 or something.

EDIT: to clarify, beyond the lighting - there's obviously more polys and more potential for stuff going on in the H5 engine, but the reason Chief looks "less detailed" is because they deliberately dialed back a lot of the more baroque textures like scratches literally everywhere on his armor. It's a welcome choice, imo.

Omni

Not a very flattering shot of Halo 5 there. Surprised they let it be released. I'd argue that the Halo 4 AR looks better.

Not sure how much of a leap you guys were expecting when they're being forced to render everything at 60fps and a higher resolution than anything on the 360, though. The Xbone isn't particularly powerful?

Ramirez

All I've heard is that Halo 4 looked next gen in MCC, and now yall are complaining it looks similar to Halo 4, lol.

If they get it looking like Halo 4 with large environments, that's great, IMO.

All I've heard is that Halo 4 looked next gen in MCC, and now yall are complaining it looks similar to Halo 4, lol.

No argument here. With the limited amount we've seen so far, H5 doesn't look like a graphical showpiece BUT as good as H4 looked on the 360 and looks in MCC, I'll honestly be ok if graphical improvements are iterative rather than revolutionary

Yeah, this. It could look like 1080p60 Halo 3 for all I care, but I think Halo 4's forays into upgrading the visual fidelity of their stuff are probably going to see diminishing returns for at least another game or two. Personally, I'm glad they're sticking to roughly the same level of detail (or scaling it back with simpler textures, even) but working on improving other areas of the visual design: framerate, resolution, lighting, etc. not to mention larger environments and encounters that won't melt the game the way Halo 4's did.

I wonder what FOV it's at.

Impala26

I still recall people saying after the H3 Beta, "I don't see how this is next gen, it's like Halo 2.5"

Definitely a precedent here, mostly in the form of how Halo 2 and Halo 4 were able to push out so much from their respective consoles.

Vico

If the game is longer and even more varied than before (the latter is already implied since we're supposed to visit multiple planets), I'd totally be fine with a couple of levels reusing assets. However, I insist on wanting it to be longer than 4 then.

Fuchsdh

When they say seamless drop-in drop-out coop, are they talking about actual LEGO N-styled insta-join in a campaign mission in progress?

FyreWulff

Looks way better than H4 to me on a technical level in every way. Lighting, tex resolution, poly detail, etc

But also need to remember this isn't final, and also 60fps vs 30fps games on previous hardware. 60fps always lowers your graphical ceiling a bit. That's just basic physics.

Looks way better than H4 to me on a technical level

But also need to remember this isn't final, and also 60fps vs 30fps games on previous hardware. 60fps always lowers your graphical ceiling. That's just basic physics.

It wont look better at release... this game will be finished in what, like 3 months?

And i said many times that this will probably look better in motion.

Akai__

LMAO at Game Informer using Evolved Combat in the article title. Funknown are you okay? :p

Also, it's a human ship. Understandable, why it looks similiar to Halo 4. I'm more worried about the actual gameplay, rather than some shiny graphics.

Man, it's already looking like pre-rendered CGI or something. (I know it's a cutscene, but still.)

Also, for literally everyone save for Poodlestrike: "Dawn 2" just shares a similar aesthetic being a derelict UNSC object swarmed by covenant. It's basically a tutorial level, but unique in that it balances the introduction to both small-scale and large scale engagements, and based on the GameInformer article the tight-knit corridors don't make up the bulk of the level's combat areas, secret passageways / flank routes notwithstanding. It also introduces you to exponentially more of the sandbox than any other tutorial level to date, considering it uses Jackals, Elites with Energy Swords, and even a Hunter at one point. It's got a bunch of different combat rooms (think ONI), and based on the length of the encounters it sounds like the GI demo ended after taking about the same amount of time as two or three Dawns; not to mention the demo didn't necessarily end at the end of the level itself.

FyreWulff

It wont look better at release... this game will be finished in what, like 3 months?

And i said many times that this will probably look better in motion.

Some of the biggest graphical polish comes in the last two months on most games.

Just look how clean it looks, though

0hBONYY.jpg

I'm already reminded of people saying Halo 3 looked just like Halo 2 :lol

Some of the biggest graphical polish comes in the last two months on most games.

Just look how clean it looks, though

0hBONYY.jpg

I'm already reminded of people saying Halo 3 looked just like Halo 2 :lol

Yeah, this. Halo 4's bullshots looked great, but there was something really slick / shiny about them that I wasn't a huge fan of, and most of the in-game footage was visibly, well, in-game footage. All these stills from H5G are practically looking like CGI.

Yeah, this. Halo 4's bullshots looked great, but there was something really slick / shiny about them that I wasn't a huge fan of, and most of the in-game footage was visibly, well, in-game footage. All these stills from H5G are practically looking like CGI.

I definitely think it'll look way better in motion, plus that it's still months away from going gold. Plenty of time to make it sing.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I really dislike that pastel look of H4 and what we've seen of H5. Everything's so shiny and smooth, feels like the texture work is inconsistent.

AlStrong

its the same engine, what did you think it was gonna look like lol

60fps tho
I was expecting PR not to just show off a recognizable corridor - something that might even need to be seen in motion. Stick to the usual camera-placed bullshots until the conference, which they otherwise have.

I mean the lighting past the gun looks nice. The elite model looks great, but it's just an underwhelming scene to show.

Someone hacked MC's guns with a Glowhoo shader.

:p Well, the actual light fall-off is like... well, w/e it's a bad PR screenshot to show off. I'll leave it at that.

mm.. nicer.

Must be pretty foggy in there. XD

Overdoziz

Banned
No argument here. With the limited amount we've seen so far, H5 doesn't look like a graphical showpiece BUT as good as H4 looked on the 360 and looks in MCC, I'll honestly be ok if graphical improvements are iterative rather than revolutionary
Bookmarking this quote for the future.
I'm talking about the art, not graphics quality. We could be playing with stick figures and I'd be okay with it if it meant it would run at 60fps and 1080p.

Omni

Have they hinted what resolution the game will be running at yet? Though I suppose if it was 1080p they'd have shouted it from the rooftops

Welfare

Yeah um, everything in those Halo 5 shots look better than Halo 4. When we see it all in motion, I think people will stop the comparisons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom