• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said before, I'd pay big money just to see the Spartans doing this

525497a11605fb64ce003711.gif

jem0208

I would like a post-game celebration in which the Spartans of the winning team kill and teabag each other while throwing grenades at the floor. More realistic that way.

Nah, they should all be trying to kill each other then proceeding to teabag and punch their dead teammates bodies.

Msg meeeee I wanna know.

I posted it all on the previous page and there's a thread on gaming side.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Logs into NeoGaf.

Reads instant overreacting from community.

Annoyed.

Signs out.

I'm so excited

But you're still here. You can never leave.

No. It's like replacing the pepperoni with pineapple and still calling it a pepperoni pizza.

Kid? I've gone from the only Halo fan/Xbox fan on NeoGAF over 15 years ago to being called a kid. Ok.

U5ccntm.png

No. It's like replacing the pepperoni with pineapple and still calling it a pepperoni pizza.

What did they replace in said analogy? Halo 5 has the backbones of what I consider Halo, even weapon starts with an emphasis on map control. I think the ground pound is largely pointless, but it's not enough for me to say the game isn't Halo. I also like what I read in the GI article about shortcuts around the map with the slide ability. It seems fun and balanced while returning to Halo's roots and that's all I care about.

@ white rabbit on 4 player split with friends: I understand that nostalgia for friends in the same room gaming. Online gaming is fantastic but some of the human moment and camaraderie is lost when everyone's in a separate room. However, have you played 4 player split recently? Me and three friends set up 4 player double dash on the gamecube, big screen too. It used to be the pinnacle of gaming for us, now... I don't think I ever want to 4 way split ever again. Full screen comforts online have made it unacceptable now imo.

I mean, nostalgia's not even the right word really, and using it is a bit disingenuous. I still do split-screen gaming with friends whenever we get a chance to be together (though typically it's 3-player for me actually). And I literally can't think of the last time I hung out with a friend at my or their home and didn't play splitscreen co-op. We do other things too of course, but being that we're all gamers we tend to ya know, play a lot of games together. And honestly nothing's better than having those interactions in person. It's always a more fun experience actually being there with a person or people. Especially when the experience isn't crippled by a friend's bad ISP causing lag or a momentary router downage. So it kind of sucks when I'm with more than one friend and we have to start with the ol' controller trade-off routine, or if I'm with my best friend and suggest playing H5 legendary together. "Sounds fun. Uh... Bye then. Be online in 30 minutes."

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
What did they replace in said analogy? Halo 5 has the backbones of what I consider Halo, even weapon starts with an emphasis on map control. I think the ground pound is largely pointless, but it's not enough for me to say the game isn't Halo. I also like what I read in the GI article about shortcuts around the map with the slide ability. It seems fun and balanced while returning to Halo's roots and that's all I care about.

Sliding, sprinting, ground pounding, announced weapon spawns, assassination animations, aim down sights/Smart-Link, squad control, callouts, medals for every single interaction, 4v4 maps larger than most BTB maps

these are things that scream halo, alright
if the only thing that makes Halo 5 a Halo game is the art assets... then you entirely misunderstand what a Halo game is.

Games are what they are as determined by their mechanics. Halo 5 has less similarity to Halo 1-3 than Box Lacrosse does with Hockey.

Toning down the jarhead bro stuff is good news, strange to not make it an entire toggle, but I guess a resource judgement.

I'm going to say it so much it becomes a reality : God, I hope the Spartan team is good and far better than Noble Team. Please be great. Please.

You could make a nice long list of "not Halo features/aspects" for just about every Halo sequel so far, except for Halo 3 (only because it was remarkably similar to Halo 2). And in fact, after Halo 2, Halo Reach, and Halo 4 released that's exactly what people did, and it's what's being done now with Halo 5. The whole what is and what is not Halo thing is so nebulous. No one ever actually decides on what exactly defines what Halo is, but that never stops people from posting long lists of what they feel is unequivocally not Halo. And honestly this trend seems bizarrely exclusive to Halo. It's kind of crazy. The argument exists with other franchises to an extent, but it's no where near as prevalent as it is with the Halo community. I'm not really sure why either.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
You could make a list of "not Halo features" for just about every Halo sequel so far, except for Halo 3 (only because it was remarkably similar to Halo 2). And in fact, after Halo 2, Halo Reach, and Halo 4 released that's exactly what people did, and it's what's being done now with Halo 5. The whole what is and what is not Halo thing is so nebulous. No one ever actually decides on what exactly defines what Halo is, but that never stops people from posting long lists of what they feel is unequivocally not Halo.

If you noticed, I omitted Halo Reach and Halo 4. I said Halo 1-3. They're still the only Halo games that have been published. sorry.

VinFTW

Considering how the games are devolving, seems like I'm moving further and further into the future.

the tag was added last minute by Microsoft (not bungie). It was just Halo up until a couple months before release.

Devolving? Not only is that subjective but holy hell its such a broad and ambiguous statement.

Give it up, no one wants this shit 'round here. Like what you like, don't hate on people for liking/thinking different things.

If you noticed, I omitted Halo Reach and Halo 4. I said Halo 1-3. They're still the only Halo games that have been published. sorry.

Like I said though, Halo 2 had the exact same reaction from numerous hardcore Halo CE fans. Hell, I knew people who hated ragdoll physics in Halo 2 because they weren't "Halo".

Madness

Those pics very much resemble Halo 4 for me. I hope to be proven wrong on Monday.

But why is that a bad thing? Halo 4 was amazing. They literally pushed the hardware to the limit. People call the MCC version almost next gen. Which means it's only natural for the first next gen Halo to resemble the maxed last gen version no? The graphical changes aren't the same anymore. You won't see San Andreas to GTA IV style jumps.

But even then, we're getting a game running at 60fps, which will give us silky smooth game play. So if I can get better than H2A/Halo 4 graphics, with 60fps, I'm happy.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Those pics very much resemble Halo 4 for me. I hope to be proven wrong on Monday.
In terms of artstyle? Sure, but everything seems to have taken a bump visually from IQ to lighting and effects. I'm not sure what you guys would want from a 60fps title in terms of visuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom