• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
But why is that a bad thing? Halo 4 was amazing. They literally pushed the hardware to the limit. People call the MCC version almost next gen. Which means it's only natural for the first next gen Halo to resemble the maxed last gen version no? The graphical changes aren't the same anymore. You won't see San Andreas to GTA IV style jumps.

But even then, we're getting a game running at 60fps, which will give us silky smooth game play. So if I can get better than H2A/Halo 4 graphics, with 60fps, I'm happy.

Yeah, there's a lot of things people have to factor in here.

• H4 was a late gen game, so the developers knew every trick in the book and had a lot of tech to build off of.
  • H5 is an early gen game, so the developers are still learning the ropes and naturally have to do a lot of wheel reinventing.
  • The leap from 360 to Xbox One hardware isn't as significant or well-defined as previous generational leaps, particularly since the 360 was a beast at launch where-as the X1 is, relatively speaking, budget hardware.
  • H5 is targeting a higher presentation benchmark with double the framerate and higher resolution.
The difference between H4 and H5 was never going to be massive. And honestly, having played the beta, it does look noticeably better.

m23

In terms of artstyle? Sure, but everything seems to have taken a bump visually from IQ to lighting and effects. I'm not sure what you guys would want from a 60fps title in terms of visuals.

I guess it could be the art style. Regardless, I'll wait until we actually see it in motion before judging too much. Just make it more open than 4 will ya 343.

Keep fighting the good fight, brother.

It feels weird knowing we're no longer the target audience.
Took over 10 years, but we're finally here. Halo 2-3 babbies are running away from this franchise.
why do game devs even read video game message boards
I would love to read this shit everyday if I was working on Halo lol. If they don't have tough skin by now then I question if they can survive being a part of this franchise. The Halo community has always been brutal, yet one of the most lovable communities around.

Tough love. Once one accepts that as the reality in which we live, then the salt flinging turns into entertainment because at the end of the day those who work on Halo, especially those with power, are in a position that many of us dream of, so there's no need to be upset. For example Sakurai, guy complains all the time but give me a break...... The dude's in charge of SUPER fucking SMASH BROS. What pressure? Fans would have a heart attack if he brushed up against them lol

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
why do game devs even read video game message boards

To gather valuable information to use, not to ignore.

Fun fact of the moment: I was originally invited to this forum by 2 separate xbox devs

Funknown doesn't realize i was a fan of Halo since the very beginning... like Macworld beginning... when Halo was a third person shooter.

abadguy

Banned
And using your logic, people that want ads and sprint should play any of the other modern shooters with it in it.

Its an asinine comeback.

Wasn't meant to be a "comeback" at all. It's just a reality. Obviously 343I isn't going to take all of that out just because some don't like it and they have Halo 2 readily available. So why waste time bitching about it?

singhr1

Fun fact of the moment: I was originally invited to this forum by 2 separate xbox devs

Funknown doesn't realize i was a fan of Halo since the very beginning... like Macworld beginning... when Halo was a third person shooter.

How about when Halo was an RTS? No? Didn't think so :p

I don't think throwing around your Halo "credentials" will change anyone's opinion of you or your opinions. If you want to make a "halo game" go out there at make it. Will you keep dual-wielding? How about equipment? BR starts or CE pistol starts? Med packs or no?

What valuable information? "That's not Halo" isn't what I'd call constructive criticism. What is Halo?

daedalius

Oooooooooooooooooooo

You really think valuable information is : "only halo 1-3 are actually halo"

Nope. My posts are 100% genuine.

Okay. Well I don't want to pick a fight, but that seems ridiculous. Like I don't even understand what you are trying to say. He's obviously just saying that is an old build so don't get our panties in a wad. We actually get a 343 rep commenting on a leak trying to clarify it within its context and you quote him with a dismissive rude attitude.

I just don't get this place.

I was talking about Fracas and other Fracasas. I know you're a grizzled fan too, I have respect for all long-time fans, even though we sometimes may say crazy things like that heresy you spewed earlier. Fracas though, he's been very vocal about how he doesn't think Halo deserves the success it has received and bashes the franchise in his sleep; he's toxic.

But in regards to how you don't consider Spartan abilities etc. Halo, WhiteRabbit put it so well:
You could make a nice long list of "not Halo features/aspects" for just about every Halo sequel so far, except for Halo 3 (only because it was remarkably similar to Halo 2). And in fact, after Halo 2, Halo Reach, and Halo 4 released that's exactly what people did, and it's what's being done now with Halo 5. The whole what is and what is not Halo thing is so nebulous. No one ever actually decides on what exactly defines what Halo is, but that never stops people from posting long lists of what they feel is unequivocally not Halo. And honestly this trend seems bizarrely exclusive to Halo. It's kind of crazy. The argument exists with other franchises to an extent, but it's no where near as prevalent as it is with the Halo community. I'm not really sure why either.
Like I said though, Halo 2 had the exact same reaction from numerous hardcore Halo CE fans. Hell, I knew people who hated ragdoll physics in Halo 2 because they weren't "Halo".

EDIT:
Okay. Well I don't want to pick a fight, but that seems ridiculous. Like I don't even understand what you are trying to say. He's obviously just saying that is an old build so don't get our panties in a wad. We actually get a 343 rep commenting on a leak trying to clarify it within its context and you quote him with a dismissive rude attitude.

I just don't get this place.
biggy's like the plant in Little Shop of Horrors lol

Halo 5 looks great everyone! The beta was fun, the announced improvements sound great and the campaign is shaping up to be really unique! E3 is around the corner and WE WILL ALL BE VERY HAPPY.

please be happy HaloGaf

El_Chino

Considering how the games are devolving, seems like I'm moving further and further into the future.

the tag was added last minute by Microsoft (not bungie). It was just Halo up until a couple months before release.
If future is going back wards then sure. Some Halo fans just want more of Halo and Halo 2. That's not how games evolve.

Hey Frankie or David is it possible to add a toggleable option in the game to lock the frame - rate & resolution? For ex: 30fps@900p to allow split - screen gameplay.

Hey Frankie or David is it possible to add a toggleable option in the game to lock the frame - rate & resolution? For ex: 30fps@900p to allow split - screen gameplay.

Frankie already basically said it wasn't possible on the gaming side. Apparently the game's systems heavily rely on a locked framerate of 60FPS.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
I don't think it's that simple.

This.

Unfortunately nothing in development comes for free. There's a cost, be it time, resources, performance or visual fidelity. Every minute you spend working on feature X means a minute less spent on Y or Z.

This.

Unfortunately nothing in development comes for free. There's a cost, be it time, resources, performance or visual fidelity. Every minute you spend working on feature X means a minute less spent on Y or Z.

Frankie already basically said it wasn't possible on the gaming side. Apparently the game's systems heavily rely on a locked framerate of 60FPS.
I see. Kind of thought it was this reason.
I'm assuming like Halo 4, campaign scoring, theater mode, and etc. won't be in due to the locked fps/resolution.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Anyone here want in on the SMITE beta? I have two codes. PM me if you want one.

edit: annd they're gone

Fracas

#fuckonami
I was talking about Fracas and other Fracasas. I know you're a grizzled fan too, I have respect for all long-time fans, even though we sometimes may say crazy things like that heresy you spewed earlier. Fracas though, he's been very vocal about how he doesn't think Halo deserves the success it has received and bashes the franchise in his sleep; he's toxic.

I literally don't know who you are.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Fracas is toxic!

cercei2pfoxr.gif

#WeBack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom