• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played so much Doom I & II back in high school, love seeing an editor and shotgun gibbing :) Since Project Spark beta/dropped I've wanted that sort of scripting in Halo's Forge, one day.

jem0208

Man fuck GoT!

343 you better not every kill off Master Chief I'll lose my shit

GoT spoilers:

Yup. Seriously I'm pretty much done with the show. Jon and the Night's watch was basically the only aspect of the show I enjoyed and now that's ruined.

UKUMI0

Good morning HaloGAF, changed my Aussie sleeping schedule just for E3.

So hyped for Halo, especially after Hunt the Truth yesterday (what am ending).

As for what's in the (Collectors Edition) box, I doubt we'll find out what's inside on stage. More likely in Xbox Daily or at least a blog post.

And here we are. T-5.5 hours, the dawn (as it were) of the final day, depending on one's choice of timezone, superior EST fo lyfe. At some point in the next 7 hours, Halo will either be made dad (again) or resurrected. It's going to be a ride, either way. Nice knowing y'all, except ProvenDeadly.
Nah, even you.

Oh, and regarding GoT, y'all shouldn't be surprised.
It's what GRRM does: kill off beloved characters because he's not sure what to do next. Such a hack.

GoT spoilers:

Yup. Seriously I'm pretty much done with the show. Jon and the Night's watch was basically the only aspect of the show I enjoyed and now that's ruined.

I'm assuming you haven't read the books then? Welcome to the last 4yrs of waiting haha.

jem0208

And here we are. T-5.5 hours, the dawn (as it were) of the final day, depending on one's choice of timezone, superior EST fo lyfe. At some point in the next 7 hours, Halo will either be made dad (again) or resurrected. It's going to be a ride, either way. Nice knowing y'all, except ProvenDeadly.
Nah, even you.

Oh, and regarding GoT, y'all shouldn't be surprised.
It's what GRRM does: kill off beloved characters because he's not sure what to do next. Such a hack.

Eh, for the first few season it worked rather well;
The Red Wedding was seriously one of the best episodes of TV I've ever watched.
. However now it just seems like they're just doing it for the hell of it.
Honestly, I don't really give a fuck what happens to the world because I don't think there's a single character I actually like left (except Tyrion obviously but now he's stuck with Dany and the dragons it's all a bit boring). I'm kinda rooting for the White Walkers now. Although to be honest I'm not sure I can be bothered to keep watching.

What do you like about CGB specifically?

Region matching?
Endless list searching?
Skill matching?
Party matching?
Gametypes with borked settings?
Lack of ranks?

Etc etc

Honestly I'm curious what you consider great about CGB.

I kinda agree, honestly I see a CGB as a fun side distraction to the main matchmaking. Sure there will be a few good gametypes being played but I imagine the vast majority will be a few variations on the same silly action sack style of gamemode, which honestly are only really fun with friends; I can't imagine enjoying myself playing Indiana Jones etc. with a bunch of randoms I don't know. Couple all that with the lack of skill matching, party matching, ranks etc. and it just doesn't seem massively appealing.

Except his "death" was nearly identical to how it happened in the books.

Which doesn't seem to have any payoff. Hell, even the Red Wedding hasn't really had any payoff yet. A huge majority of the characters involved have been more or less spinning their wheels since then, with the possible exception of Arya.

jem0208

Except his "death" was nearly identical to how it happened in the books.

That doesn't make his death good. It can be bad in both the books and the show. Like I said, there's literally not a single storyline left in GoT that I'm interested in. They've killed them all off.

-Ryn

Banned
Can't wait for the meltdowns and the hype explosions to collide. Gonna be a great E3.

Region matching?
Endless list searching?
Skill matching?
Party matching?
Lack of ranks?

Etc etc

I kinda agree, honestly I see a CGB as a fun side distraction to the main matchmaking. Sure there will be a few good gametypes being played but I imagine the vast majority will be a few variations on the same silly action sack style of gamemode, which honestly are only really fun with friends; I can't imagine enjoying myself playing Indiana Jones etc. with a bunch of randoms I don't know. Couple all that with the lack of skill matching, party matching, ranks etc. and it just doesn't seem massively appealing.
I've had a lot of fun with ransoms in stupid game types personally. Though admittedly we usually chatted a bit beforehand in matchmaking and then had a lot fun doing silly shit in customs. Honestly though there's plenty of fun to be had even in silence. Stuff like lava pit and ninja mountain were rad. Or Jenga tower. Damn that was a good time.

Optimally I would like a matchmaking system to stay for the competitive experience with a CGB on the side.

Akai__

Region matching?
Endless list searching?
Skill matching?
Party matching?
Lack of ranks?

Etc etc

Is this even a serious post? You would have the CGB on top of the actual matchmaking and rather than waiting for something to get voted in matchmaking, you can search for that gametype in your CGB and just join other people playing it.

Imagine Griffball not being in the playlist, then people would open a Griffball match in their Custom Game and people would now be able to join through the Custom Game Browser. Same goes for any other gametype, that is not supported in the official playlists like: Vanilla Halo, Fun Maps & Gametypes, race tracks, Flaming Ninja Challenges, Infection etc. etc. etc.

The list of possibilities is huge.

Reading through your post again... It doesn't seem like you understand what people mean with a Custom Game Browser.

Is this even a serious post? You would have the CGB on top of the actual matchmaking and rather than waiting for something to get voted in matchmaking, you can search for that gametype in your CGB and just join other people playing it.

Imagine Griffball not being in the playlist, then people would open a Griffball match in their Custom Game and people would now be able to join through the Custom Game Browser. Same goes for any other gametype, that is not supported in the official playlists like: Vanilla Halo, Fun Maps & Gametypes, race tracks, Flaming Ninja Challenges, Infection etc. etc. etc.

The list of possibilities is huge.

Nothing a toggles based system of maps and gametypes doesn't achieve with all the bells and whistles of quitters, ranks, skill/party matching and you know quality control.

I have played decades of PC games, like most others here, and my take is CGB leads to a surplus of wading through lists of shit untested maps/gametypes and getting booted by the host/sever admin too. If you have matchmaking and CGB you'll need a massive population to support that, seems less than a dozen or so games actually have such on any platform.

After all the backlash about rank and JiP plus matching and quitters we're now back at CGB?

I'm all for player/party choice but nothing holds a candle to H2/3 matchmaking for making friends and game experience. Layer toggles on that and were good to go.

Which doesn't seem to have any payoff. Hell, even the Red Wedding hasn't really had any payoff yet. A huge majority of the characters involved have been more or less spinning their wheels since then, with the possible exception of Arya.

That doesn't make his death good. It can be bad in both the books and the show. Like I said, there's literally not a single storyline left in GoT that I'm interested in. They've killed them all off.

I don't think he'll be dead permanently. Remember, his Stark mother is alive and enacting revenge. Also, who just showed up at Castle Black? The Red Woman may try to bring him back (and fail I'd assume) because it's a strong possibility that Jon warged into Ghost (according to the book speculation).

Or he's dead for good and all that Ned Stark and Co did to keep that secret is lost forever. Welcome to Game of Thrones, where all men must die. :)

I'm about to go #TeamWhiteWalkers here soon.

jem0208

I don't think he'll be dead permanently. Remember, his Stark mother is alive and enacting revenge. Also, who just showed up at Castle Black? The Red Woman may try to bring him back (and fail I'd assume) because it's a strong possibility that Jon warged into Ghost (according to the book speculation).

Or he's dead for good and all that Ned Stark and Co did to keep that secret is lost forever. Welcome to Game of Thrones, where all men must die. :)

I'm about to go #TeamWhiteWalkers here soon.

Wait what? Who's his mother?

It will be incredibly bullshit if they revive him with Melisandre, although I guess I can see it coming. I might watch if that's the case.

Edit: Regarding what Ozzy says, I agree. I'd rather they overhauled the matchmaking system with stuff like toggles etc. than implement a CGB and leave matchmaking as it is. Obviously they could do both... But again, like he said my experience with a CGB type of system is that it's just overflowing with shit. I don't know if anyone played Far Cry 2 multiplayer, but that had a CGB style of system and it was terrible. I really don't like server browsers either.

It's Doom, not Halo.

Few note hours to go, gimme that Forza, Halo and Gears. This year is going to be nuts.

Classic Doom was filled with large open areas.

Blueblur1

Man, Armor in reach was pretty much golden for its context. Really aesthetic.

That's armor that looked like real hulking armor. I miss that style of design versus the visually-simplified armor Spartan IVs wear. Once I unlock that Noble armor I'll probably never take it off my character.

Akai__

Nothing a toggles based system of maps and gametypes doesn't achieve with all the bells and whistles of quitters, ranks, skill/party matching and you know quality control.

I have played decades of PC games, like most others here, and my take is CGB leads to a surplus of wading through lists of shit untested maps/gametypes and getting booted by the host/sever admin too. If you have matchmaking and CGB you'll need a massive population to support that, seems less than a dozen or so games actually have such on any platform.

After all the backlash about rank and JiP plus matching and quitters we're now back at CGB?

I'm all for player/party choice but nothing holds a candle to H2/3 matchmaking for making friends and game experience. Layer toggles on that and were good to go.

Yup, you haven't understood what people actually want. I'll try to explain it.

This is the simplified MP structure of a normal Halo game:

• Official Multiplayer with several playlists
  • Custom Games

Now people want:

• Official Multiplayer with several playlists (Ranked and Social split preferably)
  • Custom Games with a supported Custom Game Browser

Custom Games were NEVER part of the official MP and never should be. In Halo 3 and Reach you had people playing Custom Games all the time, but it wasn't always easy to get into Custom Games, as you never knew who played them. With the help of a Custom Game Browser, you would be able to join Custom Games of random people all the time. It's literally Custom Games as you know them, but now people are able to find them through a Browser. There should be 3 settings for Custom Games: Open for everyone (joinable through the Browser), Open for Friends and Invite only.

belushy

Banned
Really wished you could create maps with an advanced tool on your PC and send them to your Xbox. Would be so freaking good to finally create what you want in a Halo game.

It would be amazing. I just don't think 343 cares enough about Forge for something like that.

belushy

Banned
Well, at least you know what's inside the box.

I'm afraid so.

I just want it to be a tool to do more than just mp maps, as Snapmap seems to be.... and the Far Cry editor has pretty much always been. A.I placement and with the scripting they started with H2A, and sprinkle in some terrain editing and we could make our own campaign and firefight and spops missions.

Wait what? Who's his mother?

It will be incredibly bullshit if they revive him with Melisandre, although I guess I can see it coming. I might watch if that's the case.

She will try for sure... But I'm going to guess that she will fail. Jon's resurrection will be something beyond her power, if he's to be raised anyway.

Jon's real mother is heavily implied to be Lyanna Stark, and his father Rhaegar Targaryen. Ned Stark was one of very few who knew the truth of this and Ned also took a vow to take Jon (as a baby) under his care and claim him as his own. This would make Jon the true heir to the Iron Throne...a claim even stronger than Dany's.

Akai__

I just want it to be a tool to do more than just mp maps, as Snapmap seems to be.... and the Far Cry editor has pretty much always been. A.I placement and with the scripting they started with H2A, and sprinkle in some terrain editing and we could make our own campaign and firefight and spops missions.

If I was 343i, then I would launch this tool alongside the Halo 6 Beta.

Have people make maps for them, let the community vote their top 3 maps and include them (with better textures/details, while keeping the color scheme and geometry the same) in Halo 6.

What are we expecting tonight? Campaign demo like Halo 4?

Team Locke campaign footage. Showcasing the Squad Commands and some Spartan Abilties. New MP mode.
Halo Wars 2

Madness

Same I'm passing out now. I fully expect this thread to have jumped like 30+ pages and be full of salt and hype when I check it again.

Tawpgun

Ranked matchmaking
Social custom game browser. Fkn easy where is my paycheck frank

Alternatively, let people rent dedicated server space. Ill just take the revenue from that

What are the odds they show the option to not use ADS and revert the game back to Halo style scope visualization?

ADS doesn't matter the way it works in H5. It's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. Game plays as it always did with Bumper Jumper controls.

Let kids that grew up on CoD hold L to zoom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom