• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Ryn

Banned
VuheNHs.jpg

I love them how they float using a flying ball in the cutscenes. sorta reminds me of Megaman zero artstyle fusing with metroid prime artstyle
Agreement

I love Megaman Zero and Metroid Prime

A Power-Up suit that has a set duration (or until it gets destroyed by players) that self destructs after a limited time. Could be explained that it's just a prototype suit that hasn't been manufactured to endure extended use. Reason for the set duration like any other Power-Up is so that it can be OP, then after a minute or so, it'll detonate like a Titanfall nuclear explosion with the titans.

Possibilities are endless, really. Tons of mech/battlesuit ideas better than the slow-walking Mantis.

And while we're on the discussion of new vehicles:

Hoping we get some new Promethean/Forerunner hotness.
This

Problem with forerunner/promethean vehicles is, do they make sense? These are people who can materialize in and out of thin air, why would they need any sort of vehicle? Maybe someone who knows the lore could explain better. I still don't know how Didact has telekinesis powers?
Didact basically has Gravity Gauntlets

As a mode of travel it really doesn't much sense on a larger scale, but in smaller instances such as local travel and (more relevantly) combat, vehicles could have use. Especially air based vehicles and Mechs since when you are at the level of the Forerunners, mechs are the only right answer for ground combat. And air combat. Really just fuck everything else and make everything a mech.

If they had ground based vehicles they would probably be smaller transport based things like a motorcycle that hovers or something. It would also depend on how far their ability to teleport reaches. Can they do it anywhere or do they need to have their own systems in place to do it since it is based on slip space.

So stupid that the XB1 isn't backwards compatible. I'd go buy Reach again in a heartbeat.

For it to be backwards compatible they would have either had to have stuck with a PowerPC-based design (which would have put them at even more of a disadvantage against PS4/PC and would be a bit more expensive) or included the 360's XCGPU solely for compatibility purposes (which would have significantly increased costs). There's no way in hell they could put out a box capable of emulating a 360 at any sort of reasonable price. So no, it's not "stupid".

Mix

Got my first tattoo today for May the 4th. Looks pretty good I think, would anyone be interested in pictures? Planning on getting a Halo one soon to match my Star Wars one lol

upper right arm. Love it

GrizzNKev

Banned
Reach was the last Halo game my high school friends and I all played together. I kind of miss it for that, since I don't think I'll be able to convince any of them to buy a 'bone for MCC and 5 and they all have PS4s already.

AlStrong

Pretty much the Prototype suit and it makes me wonder if 343 will do something with it. I hope they do. Better than the walking turret that is the Mantis.

I like how the designs just keep getting bigger and bigger. Maybe it's time for a mecha combiner. ;D

A Power-Up suit that has a set duration (or until it gets destroyed by players) that self destructs after a limited time. Could be explained that it's just a prototype suit that hasn't been manufactured to endure extended use. Reason for the set duration like any other Power-Up is so that it can be OP, then after a minute or so, it'll detonate like a Titanfall nuclear explosion with the titans.

Possibilities are endless, really. Tons of mech/battlesuit ideas better than the slow-walking Mantis.

I'm not sure a timer is the answer. Perhaps just limited ammunition?

Looking back, I had a lot more fun with the Silverback in Gears 3, and both mechs have somewhat similar gameplay designs - slow moving, an overheating main gun, slow reload missiles. Heck they both even have a stomp. Mantis though is a much much larger target in the game world making the slow moving that much worse I think. Then again, it's always struck me as a PvE type of vehicle, not so much PvP. Silverback was just so satisfying in campaign/horde. Mantis was... ugly.

Silverback had sprint too. XD

Got my first tattoo today for May the 4th. Looks pretty good I think, would anyone be interested in pictures? Planning on getting a Halo one soon to match my Star Wars one lol

upper right arm. Love it

Is it Tattoo Tuesday already? :)

Nice colouring.

Reach was the last Halo game my high school friends and I all played together. I kind of miss it for that, since I don't think I'll be able to convince any of them to buy a 'bone for MCC and 5 and they all have PS4s already.

Same, the Halo sessions kind of died out once 4 was released. I guess people just lost interest by then. MCC is bringing it back though.

Looking at some of the Prometheans concept art, this one stuck out and makes me think Space Samurai. I'm actually kind of into it but it isn't really good material for common enemies imo.

The "Space Samurai" concept seems like it'd be a neat equivalent to a Zealot in terms of rarity and strength. Maybe forgoes insanely high shields in favor of extremely durable armor, can fly around, cast magic missile, etc.

AlStrong

Looking at some of the Prometheans concept art, this one stuck out and makes me think Space Samurai. I'm actually kind of into it but it isn't really good material for common enemies imo.

The "Space Samurai" concept seems like it'd be a neat equivalent to a Zealot in terms of rarity and strength. Maybe forgoes insanely high shields in favor of extremely durable armor, can fly around, cast magic missile, etc.

mm...
#1 looks like a leader type who floats around giving orders.
#2 looks like a scary ghost priestess who floats around very slowly and ominously with ridiculous shielding, like a hunter-type. Maybe it should teleport into your face just to freak you out >:D (as opposed to H4 knights teleporting away like cowards).

Actually, I wonder how the Flood would respond to cavitation using ultrasonics a.k.a. banshee attack.

#3 Yeah, basically feels like equivalent of higher ranked elites or brutes travelling with lesser units of different species.

Speaking of Reach who saw this article on a trick crew taking 5 years to get into a room?

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--kulLyDGR--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/1237802601399613286.gif[/IMG

[url=http://kotaku.com/halo-players-spent-five-years-trying-to-get-into-an-emp-1702095860?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow]Kotaku source article and video.[/url][/QUOTE]

It's so beautiful! I love this mission so much. Most beautiful mission in the entire series, off the top of my head.

-Ryn

Banned
Reach is the only Halo my old Xbox buddies will still play anymore really. It's funny how everything turned out considering the backlash Reach got for so long. Despite its issues with slow base movement and bloom, it's always been a pretty cool game with a lot of content and some fun ideas. Especially apparent with the benefit of hindsight.

upper right arm. Love it
Looks great dude

I like how the designs just keep getting bigger and bigger. Maybe it's time for a mecha combiner. ;D

I'm not sure a timer is the answer. Perhaps just limited ammunition?
Blue team to have Power Rangers/Voltron style combination confirmed?

--

On the timer note, I think it could actually make the suit a really kickass double edged sword. By putting on the suit you'll have a great battlefield advantage and more importantly, be really cool. However you'll explode when the suits timer runs out, adding an urgency to getting everything you can out of it. Alternatively you could make the self destruct optional and do an Eva style shut down because the suits battery or whatever couldn't last any longer which will leave you as a sitting duck until you get out of said suit (entering and exiting the suit is also something important).

Limiting ammo isn't a bad idea either. I'm not sure it would feel as cool though.

This would really be a cool way to go about it as I could totally see one of those guys as a high commander or something. You could make fighting them really awesome too. Like a miniboss of some kind.

Perhaps he/she/it could use its floaty things as blades of some sort as well as a cannon when they form a circle.

mm...
#2 Looks like a scary ghost priestess who floats around very slowly and ominously with ridiculous shielding, like a hunter-type. Maybe it should teleport into your face just to freak you out >:D (as opposed to H4 knights teleporting away like cowards).

Actually, I wonder how the Flood would respond to cavitation using ultrasonics a.k.a. banshee attack.
I'm liking this idea

As for the flood, I doubt that it would have much if any effect on them given that their biology is an extremely adaptive one. Most of their senses seem to rely on telekinesis basically though so perhaps a banshee blast would interrupt that? I'm not sure what the effects of high frequency sound waves on the nervous system are.

I guess if it can break glass...

singhr1

mm...

#2 looks like a scary ghost priestess who floats around very slowly and ominously with ridiculous shielding, like a hunter-type. Maybe it should teleport into your face just to freak you out >:D (as opposed to H4 knights teleporting away like cowards).

Uh, Halo 4 knights do the teleport slash attack that's sometimes a one hit kill. It's as in your face as the description you give. They only teleport away under duress, they are aggressive when they have the upper hand.

Omni

It's so beautiful! I love this mission so much. Most beautiful mission in the entire series, off the top of my head.
The first bit where you're storming the beach is amazing (soundtrack is fantastic too). I wish it was a bit longer as I found the space combat pretty dull.

As for the flood, I doubt that it would have much if any effect on them given that their biology is an extremely adaptive one. Most of their senses seem to rely on telekinesis basically though so perhaps a banshee blast would interrupt that? I'm not sure what the effects of high frequency sound waves on the nervous system are.

I guess if it can break glass...

Based on how sound works in-universe with the small amount of information we've been given, sonic weaponry is uncommon but not unheard of within the UNSC. In particular, ONI carries a handful of Hard Sound Rifles for assassination missions which fire "concentrated sound waves" that leave little to no external indicators of damage such as burns or powder markings, instead obliterating internal organs and causing lethal hemorrhaging. Considering the Flood already liquefies, displaces, "corrupts," etc. most internal organs and redundant physiology in the unorganized stage such as the changes seen with the Combat Form, it may not prove very effective - that being said, it's possible the sound waves could rapidly excite the "internal stew" of the host to such a degree that it would more or less liquefy smaller, more decomposed targets.

Even if sonic weaponry was incapable of damaging the Flood by rapid decomposition, it's likely a "directed" shot from a sound-based weapon would kill Infection forms almost instantly, meaning sonic weapons would be extremely effective in dispatching Combat Forms and "neutering" Carrier Forms. The more developed the Flood becomes, its dependencies are spread out through a wider variety of forms with much more durable biology, however - meaning that sonic weaponry would likely only be effective against the initial, uncoordinated stages of the Flood. Attempting to harm Pure Forms with it would probably be ineffective.

Akai__

Can they patch out the Halo 4 lobby music, but patch in some ODST themes?

Still think the lobby music needs to completely stop, when you search for a game.

Still think the lobby music needs to completely stop, when you search for a game.

It's too loud and yeah I dread every time people vote for Halo 4 as I have to listen to its music when searching for the next match. I did like quite a few tracks in Halo 4, but the one in the menu isn't one of them.

The Original Menus are still running in the background after a certain game was played. Play a HaloCE Match and you will hear Halo 1 Music. Play H2 and you will hear H2, that applies to every game in this collection.

When the game was out some people got the bug that launched them into the original CE Menu.

AlStrong

Would be great if there were a soundtrack page where you can tick off what songs you want to have played in the menu.

Mdot

upper right arm. Love it

Looks good man. Quality of the work looks solid. I'm trying to convince myself to get one; maybe one of these days. Have some ideas.

singhr1

I liked the space combat because it was something different for a change. Should have been in multiplayer!

The space combat was just long enough. Any longer it would have been waaay too stale. It got repetitive defending the same location wave after wave. The mechanics were good but not worth the time to wrap it in a multiplayer mode.

The space combat was just long enough. Any longer it would have been waaay too stale. It got repetitive defending the same location wave after wave. The mechanics were good but not worth the time to wrap it in a multiplayer mode.

Would have needed more to it, aye.

I was going to make a Destiny post about its lack of space.. anything, let alone combat/traversal, but I didn't want to be the first one to bring that game up again.

Thanks Impala, I knew I could count on you.

Exactly what I was thinking :), though it could have used page/tab sorting for each game. Too much to scroll through. >_>

Yeah there is a lot to sort through. Could have broken it up better but hey, it was a niche addition.

Damn what a waste of time lol

Yeah, as cool as it is, I don't see the point. Cool they did it but ueah, what use is it? It's a tiny area that you get into and that's it.

-Ryn

Banned
Based on how sound works in-universe with the small amount of information we've been given, sonic weaponry is uncommon but not unheard of within the UNSC. In particular, ONI carries a handful of Hard Sound Rifles for assassination missions which fire "concentrated sound waves" that leave little to no external indicators of damage such as burns or powder markings, instead obliterating internal organs and causing lethal hemorrhaging. Considering the Flood already liquefies, displaces, "corrupts," etc. most internal organs and redundant physiology in the unorganized stage such as the changes seen with the Combat Form, it may not prove very effective - that being said, it's possible the sound waves could rapidly excite the "internal stew" of the host to such a degree that it would more or less liquefy smaller, more decomposed targets.

Even if sonic weaponry was incapable of damaging the Flood by rapid decomposition, it's likely a "directed" shot from a sound-based weapon would kill Infection forms almost instantly, meaning sonic weapons would be extremely effective in dispatching Combat Forms and "neutering" Carrier Forms. The more developed the Flood becomes, its dependencies are spread out through a wider variety of forms with much more durable biology, however - meaning that sonic weaponry would likely only be effective against the initial, uncoordinated stages of the Flood. Attempting to harm Pure Forms with it would probably be ineffective.
I didn't even realize they had sound weapons.
That's pretty kickass. I'm loving the idea that it could "nueter" carrier forms and destroy infection forms. If the flood ever return I think it'd be cool if they introduced that gun. Maybe even a "sound grenade" for dealing with them since they're a horde enemy. Wouldn't be much use against pure forms as you said but it could at least kill off the fluff and maybe damage some regular combat forms?

The space flight combat definitely would've needed more fleshing out to work as its own thing, but it does have a lot of potential.

It's unfortunate Bungie didn't do anything with it. At all. In a later game. One that has space ships. See where I'm going with this?

singhr1

The space flight combat definitely would've needed more fleshing out to work as its own thing, but it does have a lot of potential.

It's unfortunate Bungie didn't do anything with it. At all. In a later game. One that has space ships. See where I'm going with this?

Haha, yes. That was easily my biggest disappointment early on when we knew little about Destiny. As soon as they said inter-planetary travel was all cutscenes and fast travel, I became sad.

Your "ship" is easily the worst implemented "feature" in destiny. The cosmetic purpose is useless because it only shows up when you are choosing a destination. And, after you complete a mission you HAVE TO return to your ship in order to go back to the same planet you were just on or go back to The Tower. That extra step unnecessarily introduces two new load times rather than just the one.

Haha, yes. That was easily my biggest disappointment early on when we knew little about Destiny. As soon as they said inter-planetary travel was all cutscenes and fast travel, I became sad.

Your "ship" is easily the worst implemented "feature" in destiny. The cosmetic purpose is useless because it only shows up when you are choosing a destination. And, after you complete a mission you HAVE TO return to your ship in order to go back to the same planet you were just on or go back to The Tower. That extra step unnecessarily introduces two new load times rather than just the one.

It doesn't even do anything in economic terms, like fancy mounts in MMOs, since there isn't any player economy to take money out of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom